Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
2401 Pennsylvania Ave.
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marcelsdc.com/
- Phone: (202) 296-1166
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday 5:00pm - 9:30pm;
Mon-Thurs 5:00pm - 10:00pm;
Fri-Sat 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Belgian, French
- Executive Chef: Paul Stearman, Chef de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Marcel's provides complimentary driving service to and from the Kennedy Center seven nights a week. Pre-theater menu recommended for customers who want to make curtain time.
A word from Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
Since 1999, Chef Wiedmaier infuses his Belgian heritage into Marcel's elegant haute French flagship restaurant. Regularly topping the best-of-lists in the nation's capital, in 2011 and 2012, it was rated the top restaurant for food by Zagat as well as one of the top five restaurants for service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier - Best Restaurants in Foggy Bottom ›
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier reviews from OpenTable diners
175 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (137)fit for foodies (129)romantic (113)notable wine list (86)neighborhood gem (31)hot spot (13)good for groups (9)late-night find (8)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- good address but service is not the the bestThomasVIPDined on 11/22/2014We had a great time at this restaurant. Food was quite good but without being outstanding. For example the rare tuna was a bit too spicy and the salmon carpaccio was good without having anything special. Service was slow and not very responsive. For the price a few places in DC have better food and service. I had to mention three times that it was my wife's birthday in order to get a little extra.Special Features:
- Definitely Worth the Moneyluv2dineDined on 11/22/2014If you want a great dinner of interesting food choices, excellent service and the feeling of being pampered, this the restaurant for you. We celebrated our anniversary here and the staff went out of their way to make it special. We got menus that said happy Anniversary on the top and then were given them signed by the chef to take home., The amuse bouche of Duck profiterole was really delicious. The small dinner rolls and herb butters were great. Really enjoyed the salmon, venison, duck and mussel gratin. Service was outstanding. The wait staff is always on top of your order and you never have to ask for water, where is your food etc. Really makes the difference between a good and great meal.Worth every penny!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marcel's is the absolute best!McgreleVIPDined on 11/22/2014We have only wonderful words for the food, service, ambiance and dining experience. We are never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great before a showTdubbDined on 11/20/2014We ate at Marcel's before a show at the Kennedy Center. Food was great! Ambience was great! They even had a car to take us to the theater after dinner. We loved our start to the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!BeenThere91VIPDined on 11/19/2014Unbelievably good food! Every bite was a gem. Great wine and superb service. A perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining at its bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014Wonderful experience overall. Waiter was so accommodating and food and ambiance definitely live up to the reputation. Was a little disappointed upon arrival: had to wait a while to get seated as no one was there when we arrived. Felt like we were being passed over and made to wait before getting to our table. Eventually, though, the evening was great once inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Proposal DinnerMikeDined on 11/15/2014Went to Marcel's for my engagement dinner (to my girlfriend of 5 years). From the beginning they were very understandable as we were late for our reservation by about 30 minutes! The host and service were also very accommodating as I was also in a hurry to make it to the Kennedy Center for the proposal. The food came out fast and it tasted amazing!! The head chef/owner Robert Wiedmaier even came out and poured the sauce on my fiancees dishes which was the coolest thing! Finally at the post engagement gathering we went back to Marcel's with a group this time and celebrated with champagne and sweets and the whole night was unforgettable thanks to Marcel's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another excellent dining experience !OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014Had another fantastic dining evening. As always, Ernesto's service and the food were impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive and deliciousMikeNYDined on 11/14/2014The dinner was outstanding. The food was excellently prepared in novel dishes. Elegant and friendly service. Nice wine list that was, of course, overpriced but not as badly as in most restaurants of this type. Outstanding desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and service!ritzytravelerVIPDined on 11/12/2014Went to Marcels 10 years ago for my husbands birthday and recently for our 10 year anniversary. Always good. Consistently good. Pre-theater dinner can be fast but does not compromise (fast if you are running late like I was!). Next time, we'll go with more time when we are not running to the Kennedy Center afterward. But the Marcel's car service to the theater was a really nice addition. They make a great martini too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely fantastic experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014The whole dinner was fantastic. Started out with a personalized greeting from the host and followed with attentive service and unparalleled food. Thank you to all who made a great night grand.Special Features:
- All-Around 5 Star RestaurantNew2CityDined on 11/10/2014Took my fiancé in for his birthday. We arrived almost an hour late due to traffic and we were still seated immediately. The menu was a little confusing but our waiter Jonathan was more than helpful and helped us with our choices. If we wouldn't have eaten a single thing, Jonathan by far made our dinning experience memorable and enjoyable. The food was simply amazing, my favorite was the mussels and the salmon. The wine too was very reasonable and tasty, thanks to Jonathan's recommendation.Special Features:
- Eating with your best friends!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/9/2014My wife and I have always felt welcome here. As amazing as the food is.... the service shines just as brightly. Adnane, Jonathan and their team made us feel that we were the most important people in the roomSpecial Features:
- Extra perks, felt right at homeericmVIPDined on 11/9/2014The restaurant may seem snobby, but it isn't. It's actually very laid back, relaxing, but still very professional from the server's point of view. Everyone was extremely helpful, though the other servers were giving us the wrong the drinks, but we barely noticed and they were rectified. It's a set course menu but you can get whatever you want and just pay for the number of courses you get. Stick with the meats, you can't go wrong. If you want four courses of dessert go for it! They give you a lot of extras along the way to cleanse the pallet and to end the night. We had some nice goodies after our anniversary dinner - THANK YOU AGAIN ALEJANDR!! Couldn't believe that we have never been to this restaurant before. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing service, OK foodsafewindDined on 11/9/2014Waiter was arrogant. He was more interested in promoting Marcel's than in providing service. He knocked over a martini, parially spilling it on the tablecloth, my partner's food, and her blouse. This was OK -- a simple mistake. But the waiter was totally indifferent, not apologizing. He replaced the spilled martini, but did not offer to have the blouse cleaned or the food course replaced. His assistant awkwardly placed a napkin over the spilled area on the tablecloth. No one was contrite or apologetic. Throughout the tasting menu, we felt rushed; courses came too rapidly. The sommelier listened to our wine interests, but came to a conclusion too quickly; he should have reflected before recommending. Food was OK but unexceptional.Special Features:
- Fine food, mediocre serviceDiverDined on 11/8/2014The fare was very good; however, our server was either new or was having a very off night. He kept forgetting our orders and was not well educated in wine service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the Best in DCdcfoodieVIPDined on 11/8/2014Marcel's hasn't lost a step over the years. Across the board, food, service and ambiance, they still put together the top fine dining experience in Washington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014For the last 6 years, my wife have been coming to Marcel's. We do try to give other high end restaurants in the area a chance. However, the food at Marcel's, together with the attention to every detail we feel from the staff, make this a gem. I only wish they'd bring back lobster pappardelle back on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDINGARTHURDined on 11/7/2014WE HAVE DINED AT LEAST 6 TIMES AND EACH IS BETTER THAN LAST LOVE YOUR CHANGES IN TABLES AND CHAIRSSpecial Features:
- Marcel's Always DelivershappydinerVIPDined on 11/7/2014We dined at Marcel's before a show at the Kennedy Center. Knowing there was limited time to get to a 7:30 PM performance, we made sure the staff knew ahead of time. From the time we stepped inside everyone ensured they were aware of the time limitation, and they kept everything flowing so we were never rushed but finished in good time for their car service to take us to the theater. The food, as always, was amazing. Loved the extra touches, like the potato bread (heaven!) and the avocado sampler. The scallop appetizer was perfect, as was the rib eye, and the wine recommended by our waiter was lovely. We tried both desserts on the pre-theater menu and they were wonderful. As always, the food, the service, and the atmosphere were first rate!Special Features:
- Annivesary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014I would just like to say that Marcel was a welcome change from some of the other stuffy 5 star restaurants that my husband and I have been too over the years. You won't leave Marcel hungry, and it is very reasonability priced. Food was good, the chef does an excellent job of broadening our palette, just needs to refine some of the choices. Overall good restaurant for special occasions, just expect to be there a while as our dinner was 3 hours long and we cut down from a 7 course to a 6 course meal, because of time constraint. One last thing, our table was a little to long to enjoy a private romantic dinner with my husband.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencegladDined on 11/1/2014We had a wonderful food experience. Staff was attentive and thoroughly professional. The dinner could not have been better. Thank you all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thepresthepresDined on 10/29/2014Briefly...The best venison I have had most anywhere. I would have liked the foie gras better, with it not on top of bread-- fist time I had it served that way anywhere. Very nice dining experience that ended with a limo ride to Kennedy Center. Recommend it highly even though expensive.Special Features:
- Lived up to its reviewsNewtoDCDined on 10/28/2014I recently moved to DC and wanted to take my fiance out for dinner on his birthday. I went with Marcel's as it received great online reviews. The food was excellent. While some meals were better than others they were all above par. The Sea Urchin with Crab Cake and Caviar was divine. The Ahi Tuna and Boudin Blanc were also great. The service is exceptional, the meal filling (we had five courses) and I would definitely return. Its not your every day type of restaurant (unless you are loaded) but then it wouldn't be fine dining, if it were. I recommend everyone try Marcel's at least once. I will be trying out their other restaurants in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelicioussassyeatsDined on 10/27/2014This restaurant doesn't disappoint. It allows you to choose your tasting menu and is not fussy about mixing and matching. They let you choose your dining experience. The food is incredible. The service is impeccable. If I had unlimited funds of money, I would happily dine here every day. Since I don't, this will be reserved for fantastic and memorable special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very lovelyFruitiondinner1Dined on 10/26/2014all the staff which atendded us was awesome. Nice food, specially, some crispy octopus, with smooth meat in the middle (surprinsingly!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowDinerVIPDined on 10/25/2014First I should state that my wife wants to bring our server home! Wine list was excellent. By the glass was a good pour. Frisee salad terrific. Filet perfect. Poached apple tasty. Ahi lovely. Oxtail superb. Duck marvelous. Cheese delightful. Our three minutes with the chef priceless or at least very nice. Not cheap but if I could afford to return every week - I would. Amongst the best meals we have had and we have had.Special Features:
- Great celebration family occasionProudMaleDined on 10/24/2014We chose Marcel's to celebrate several family milestones: new jobs, exam success, new friendship, new income source. Two of us had had Marcel's recommended as the best restaurant in Washington, so we decided to give it a try for this special occasion. It was just right. The food was fantastic, the service was excellent, the atmosphere was enjoyable for a nice conversation and chance to get acquainted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite Restaurant in DCKostasgalDined on 10/23/2014We have never had a disappointing meal at Marcels. The ambiance is beautiful. The service can't be topped. Each dish is composed of so many different ingredients that there are explosions of a bit of heaven in each bite. We were out with very good friends from NY. Unfortunately, we were seated next to a group of 6 or 7 men that were so loud that we couldn't carry on a conversation. We had to lean in to one of them to talk and were unable to carry on a 4 way conversation. They left 30 minutes before our meal ended and we were able to enjoy each other's company.Special Features:
- Wonderful RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/23/2014My husband and I go to Marcel's for special occasions, and every time we do, we leave happy. The food is stellar and the service is even better. It is just a wonderful, wonderful experience every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Place Period!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2014This is not the first time we have been to Marcel's and most definitely not the last! There is just not enough room to list all of the great things Marcel's has to offer.Special Features:
- Spectacular!FineDiningLoverDined on 10/19/2014Four of us had coveted tickets to The Jay Leno Mark Twain Event at The Kennedy Center. We chose Marcel's, as none of us had dined there before, and they offered transportation to to the Kennedy Center. Our dining event was so incredibly fantastic, we are still talking about our meals, the service, the ambiance, and the fun time we all had together at dinner. The wait staff was so welcoming and gracious, we were immediately put at ease and had a great time choosing our different courses. The restaurant took full charge of timing. Our meal was paced perfectly for a relaxing time, without feeling rushed. We were taken to the Kennedy Center exactly as promised, the timing being just perfect. I am head over heals with Marcel's.Special Features:
- ExcellentKirkVIPDined on 10/18/2014Marcel's was excellent in every way. Delicious and beautifully presented foot and top-notch service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rachlinskiDined on 10/18/2014Perfect in every way. Attentive, considerate wait staff, gorgeous food. It was my wife's birthday and we shall never forget it. Fantastic.Special Features:
- Excellent in every categorydineoutoftenDined on 10/17/2014My wife and I had a memorable dinner at Marcel's. Everything about the evening was perfect...perfect ambiance, perfect service, and perfect food!Special Features:
- this food is just sillyFoolMeOnceDined on 10/17/2014This may be the most overrated restaurant I have ever experienced. The infinitesimal portions are ridiculous, but could be appreciated if the sauces had adequate, or ANY flavor. There are many servers, but your MAIN waiter is the only one who can assist you, so if he is explaining the novel worthy menu to another table, another glass of wine is a crapshoot. The 45 minute wait between courses was fantastic for dieters, for you had adequate time to burn off the tiny something with no taste that you recently consumed. Also, I often like restaurants that have patrons that look interesting to me, so I also felt adrift on a humanity desert island, surrounded by epicurean misfits, deceived, like me, into thinking that Marcel's would be great.
- Excellent food, wine and serviceFoodmanVIPDined on 10/17/2014This was our second time at Marcel's and it was as great as the first. The best restaurant in the area and my personal favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated and overpriced salty foodSuuuuDined on 10/13/2014Overrated and overpriced salty food. I have no idea how this place might be nr 1 in DC. My first and last visit there.
- Worthy of a Michelin StarAtomicguysDined on 10/12/2014Had dinner twice in one week at Marcel's and it was excellent each night. Arrived late the first time and choose a couple a la cart items instead of the tasting menu, each dish was very good, one of the best rack of lambs I've had in recent memory. The chef, even after 11pm, prepared a custom dessert on request when we wanted to mix and match. The second evening we ordered the 5 course tasting menu, all dishes were truly superb. The restaurant is pricey, so be prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/12/2014They never disappoint. We have been celebrating birthdays and anniversaries here for well over 10 years and plan on continuing that tradition as long as we can!Special Features: