Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
2401 Pennsylvania Ave.
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marcelsdc.com/
- Phone: 2022961166x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday 5:00pm - 9:30pm;
Mon-Thurs 5:00pm - 10:00pm;
Fri-Sat 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Belgian, French
- Executive Chef: Paul Stearman, Chef de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Marcel's provides complimentary driving service to and from the Kennedy Center seven nights a week. Pre-theater menu recommended for customers who want to make curtain time.
A word from Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
Since 1999, Chef Wiedmaier infuses his Belgian heritage into Marcel's elegant haute French flagship restaurant. Regularly topping the best-of-lists in the nation's capital, in 2011 and 2012, it was rated the top restaurant for food by Zagat as well as one of the top five restaurants for service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier - Best Restaurants in Foggy Bottom ›
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier reviews from OpenTable diners
162 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (130)romantic (110)fit for foodies (110)notable wine list (74)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (6)late-night find (5)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Ban the cell phonesEdwardDined on 9/26/2014If jackets are required then cell phone use should be prohibited. I love this place and look forward to going whenever I'm in Foggy Bottom. The last thing I want is a rude patron on her cell phone in the dining room. I always felt that Marcel's was a trip into the past so this visit was very disappointing.
- PerfectWrigleyDined on 9/20/2014Dinner was perfect. Five courses with paired wines. Jonathan, the Captain took care of every detail to make our Anniversary dinner on Saturday evening a most perfect evening. Kudos to Chef for amazing flavours. We wouldn't have changed anythingSpecial Features:
- 6-year AnniversaryearlthapearlDined on 9/20/2014Each staff member was very polite and accommodating. We could actually enjoy our conversation as the background noise level was quite low. The food flavors as well as their presentation were incredible. We definitely had an excellent evening and will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/20/2014Have been going to great wash DC restaurants for 12years and somehow got in a rut with the same five or do. My daughter suggested Marcel's because she loved it and thought the food was excellent. So on a recent visit we dined there and I musty agree it truly exceeded my high expectations. Service and food perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New corking policy stinksSputnikDined on 9/19/2014Our waiter Ernesto was fabulous. The food -- divine. But we came with a bottle of Krug to celebrate a special occasion, unaware of a new policy that forbids corking on Sat nights. The maître d' was unapologetic and would make no exception. There are too many other grand restaurants in D.C. to return to his arrogant establishment.Special Features:
- DCCoupleDined on 9/19/2014If you don't have a special occasion coming up soon, make up one. Marcel's is where you'll want to celebrate. Everything about our 36th anniversary dinner was special from the welcome to the goodbye. Can't wait to go back and have Table Captain Johnathan take care of us.Special Features:
- A place to eat and ... talk!GreggDined on 9/19/2014The food was delicious (with some great invention and first-rate execution), the service was professional, the kitchen was VERY accommodating of my wife's allergies to the oils that are the mainstays of restaurants these days:canola oil and sunflower oil. (You'd be amazed how many high end restaurants cannot deal with it, saying that everything is made with canola. Whatever happened to butter and olive oil?) What sent our experience over the top was that the room was NOT TOO LOUD. We could actually have a conversation without shouting. How rare in room design these days. We will most assuredly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/18/2014When dining at Marcel's be sure to request Jonathan as your waiter. He is excellent!Special Features:
- One of the BEST in DC!!!susansonVIPDined on 9/18/2014Marcel's has been a favorite of mine for years - literally 25 years. Most restaurants can't keep a consistently good menu and staff going for 5 years - much less 25. Their pre-theatre menu is fantastic before a show at the KenCen or other DC venues and the food and wine are always spectacular. It's expensive, but well worth what you pay for it in both food and experience. We need more restaurants like Marcel's in Washington!Special Features:
- Great foodSeattleDined on 9/17/2014Had a wonderful evening for our anniversary while visiting DC on vacation. Would highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!HatterbakeVIPDined on 9/17/2014Went for our anniversary. They were so nice and even gave us a signed menu to take home. The food was some of the best I've had ever. Truthfully!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful formal experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/14/2014Extraordinary food and service. Expensive and worth it. A great place in DC to get dressed up and experience a professional wait staff and the best dinner. Perfect for before theater dinner.Special Features:
- Excellent, Excellent, Excellent!!SearrmanDined on 9/13/2014Best French food my wife and I have had by far. The service was excellent and the course spacing was perfect. It was the absolute definition of fine dining. Check the Menu on line. Every thing my wife and I chose was excellent. Ask for the wine paring with dinner and you can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy place, classy fooddpfoodieDined on 9/13/2014An excellent dinner, courses very well balanced, very well executed and presented. We each chose 5 courses from the 7 available and each one was excellent, attentive service, nice ambience, as good as the many top flight restaurants we've enjoyed in EuropeSpecial Features:
- Not impressedfabulousDined on 9/12/2014The food was very, very good, but I wouldn't say I was blown away. The service was so uneven it was hard to really enjoy the experience. To give a fine dining establishment, such as this, top marks it needs to operate like a well-oiled machine, which it did not. The servers delivering the courses, could tell us the name of the dish, but couldn't reasonably explain what that was on the plate. High-end restaurants should have well-trained staff and well-timed delivery of courses. The menu was very nice and offered excellent choices from every category. I liked that you could choose how many courses you wanted, from any category. For the prices charged, more was expected than what we received. The wine list was below average.Special Features:
- Experience to remember!hungrywoman638Dined on 9/12/2014I was in dc with my family for vacation. We decided to go ahead and splurge and go here! So glad we did. Service and food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a dine of a lifetimeallmanmadeVIPDined on 9/12/2014From the front door welcome to departure, Marcel's offered a truly memorable dining experience for my partner's birthday. The luxurious bar was a opulent meeting spot for a pre-dinner drink, free of DC happy-hour rabble. Service from the dining room staff was impeccable, befitting a flawless meal. The menu offers three selections for each of a variable number of tasting courses to suit a diner's appetite and tastes. Four courses would likely work for only your 84yo grandma, though their quality and refinement might be lost on her palette. Sweetbreads and escargot terrine. Velvety soup. Bison strip loin. Personal soufflé. Delicate herbed poussin. Mousse au chocolat. Eat dessert first, as you wish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theater MustDisappointedDined on 9/11/2014Valet parking + transportation to the Kennedy Center for 7 pm, Thursday night show. We sat at 5:15 and had no problems with 4-course meal (they have a $65 3-course pre-theater menu, but we opted for the normal menu). They were "tasting portions," but the best tasting food we've ever had and 4-courses were plenty. We definitely plan to go back to enjoy the meal longer. Highlights were the mushroom soup and the filet mignon. My knife slid right through and it truly was "medium" as ordered. Ended with cheese plates (one with pears, one with apples), both great. Service was very attentive and they had an extensive wine list. Pricy, but well worth it. They picked us up right after the show to come back and get our car.Special Features:
- WonderfulAcedVIPDined on 9/8/2014Lovely in every way. Jonathan was a great server, wonderful personality, kept everything moving perfectly. Every dish was amazing but the foie and porcini soup as well as the boudin blanc were the best. Great wines and a nice visit with Robert Wiedmaier after dinner made the evening!Special Features:
- MickeyDined on 8/31/2014I have been to many great restaurants in the US and abroad but this experience is probably the best when you make a comparison with what you get for what you paid; I was in Vegas last year and dinned at a French restaurant with a name of a Chef who made fame in Paris; I believe we got robbed.. I am not saying Marcel´s is not expensive but it is worth every dollar spent. try the mussels and the black bass.. deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ambiance was only so soWorkerBeeDined on 8/31/2014I was a little put off with the underwhelming greeting when our party arrived, as well as the not great table we received (I had gone to the ladies, and the party was seated in my absence, otherwise I would have objected). The waiter was also surprising, sort of brusque ...shoved the menu at me with a Here you go. However, the waiter grew on us over the course of the dinner and we enjoyed the food and his knowledge of the menu. Its a fun place for sharing and three of the four items I choose were astonishingly good! The decor is somewhat 'meh' and the ambiance was also nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/28/2014Absolutely terrific from start to finish. My best meal this year, and one of my five favorite restaurants in the world. The way the menu is constructed is unique and the only drawback is that it is hard to resist over ordering.Special Features:
- Fanstastic Food and ServiceBostonFoodieDined on 8/27/2014Dinner was extraordinarily good. Service was helpful and attentive without being stuffy or overbearing. One of the best meals I have had in Washington, D.C.Special Features:
- An Experience to RememberhahakennyDined on 8/25/2014I've never been to a restaurant like this and at first, when you sit down with the menu, you would think you wouldn't get a full meal from the small portions but you will be surprised. The food was excellent and you will feel stuffed after the 4th course. For anyone who goes, I suggest getting 5-6 courses for a good experience. 7 courses may be a little much for a first timer. I highly recommend this place for anyone wanted to celebrate an anniversary or simply to have a romantic evening. The waiters are friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JLJLDined on 8/25/2014Superb! The food the service and the overall experience was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining experienceDisappointinVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had an exquisite dining experience Saturday night. We have eaten at Marcel's before and it is our favorite restaurant in DC, but this was the best meal yet. Service, presentation and delicious seasonal menu- what more could you ask! And one of our party is a vegetarian and the chef prepared a special 4 course meal for her that was superb. We can't wait to go back! I am hungry just thinking about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out!LynzDined on 8/16/2014We chose 5 course meals and it was one of the best meals I've had! My favorites were the sweet corn soup, monkfish, bison and apricot dessert. I also loved my boyfriend's duck entree. The wine list was extensive. If you don't mind spending $$$$, I would definitely recommend Marcel's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceBrianDined on 8/16/2014Wife and I celebrated our 2 yr wedding anniversary at Marcels, prior to a show at 7:30. From the moment we walked in, it felt like we were the only ones dining that night...every detail was taken care of. Every server was handsomely dressed and addressed my wife and I as Monsieur and Madam. The executive chef signed our menu for us as a gift and our desserts were presented to us with Happy Anniversary in chocolate on the plates. Pricey, but worth every penny. Amazing food, wine, service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Minor DisappointmentNavyBillDined on 8/16/2014Celebrated our 45th wedding anniversary here. The welcome, service and ambiance were superb, as were the dry gin martini. The chef's complimentary mini appetizer got the meal started off right. Likewise, the complimentary sweets at the end provided a nice finishing touch. The best selections on our 4-course tasting menu were the mussels and rockfish, both of which were delicious. On a sour note, the pan-seared scallop was raw in the middle; the boudin' blanc was bland (can't understand why so many rave about it); the beef and bison were good but nothing to write home about; and the after-dinner cappuccino was only lukewarm. All in all a nice evening but I excepted more from such a highly rated restaurant on this special occasion.Special Features:
- Excellent personal serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014We went to Marcells for our anniversary and we were not dissappointed. They gave us personalized and signed menus which was pretty thoughtful. The food was outrageous and sized perfectly for a six course meal. The service was everything you would expect. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for three generationsPasadenafoodieDined on 8/6/2014We followed the pre-theater menu and loved the food! Everyone found choices at 81,50 and 20. We had plenty of time to get to the show and enjoy our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dinnerLive2eatDined on 8/4/2014Best dinner in my whole life. Every plate was outstanding and they have a great service. Its worth every cent you spend there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the Best!Clifton12VIPDined on 8/2/2014Every time we dine at Marcel's, it's a joy! Greeted at the curb by the ever handsome and dashing Adnane, escorted inside to a comfy seat at the gorgeous bar and served the perfectly mixed cocktail. Hugs and kisses to Jonathan, the man who sets the standards for any server we encounter, anywhere we dine, and the evening becomes magical. The busboys move smoothly in removing emptied plates, refilling water glasses, gently everyone on the staff performs their duties respectfully so as not to make you feel you must eat quickly. The food is sublime and beautifully presented. Like I said, dining at Marcel's is a joy!Special Features:
- Good, but not worth the moneyef00Dined on 8/2/2014From a restaurant of this price range, I expect close-to-perfect cooking and/or innovative cooking. The food we had was fine -- some good, some not so good. I got the impression that this is a restaurant that is trying to be better than what the kitchen is capable of producing. Service was a bit annoying, but that is the luck of the draw. I won't go out of my way to eat here again.
- Lovely dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014Our waitress Alejandra is super. Very knowledgable of the menu and polite.... Made our evening lovely Food was great, so was the wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointing ambianceQuebecGoumetDined on 7/31/2014Advertised a fine gourmet restaurant, which implies that the atmosphere and ambiance are conducive to fine dining, we were disappointed to see that the staff seemed more interested in ensuring that a loud and boorish table of 6 was allowed to continue in its way - disturbing customers, who, I am sure, wanted a quite evening enjoying a fine meal. We were moved to a quieter section of the dining room, but the loud outbursts were still disturbing. Also, the section to which we moved was not as well decorated as the main dining room. The large group should have been sent there instead! In spite of this, the food was done and served to a high standard, if not exceptional.Special Features:
- Marcel's always satisfiesAlibaster3000Dined on 7/31/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in DC. It's a bit pricey but the experience is well worth it.Special Features:
- The best restaurant in townJeff1Dined on 7/25/2014I think that Marcel's is DC's best restaurant. The food is always interesting and tasty, and service is excellent. The room is pretty and not too noisy.Special Features:
- GreatGreatVIPDined on 7/24/2014Visited for birthday and enjoyed 7-courses. The food was outstanding and presentation of plating was amazing.Special Features:
- Fab fish!NorliVIPDined on 7/21/2014Everything we tried was good, but the rockfish was incredible. A favorite place of ours in DC.Special Features: