Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
2401 Pennsylvania Ave.
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marcelsdc.com/
- Phone: 2022961166x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday 5:00pm - 9:30pm;
Mon-Thurs 5:00pm - 10:00pm;
Fri-Sat 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Belgian, French
- Executive Chef: Paul Stearman, Chef de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Marcel's provides complimentary driving service to and from the Kennedy Center seven nights a week. Pre-theater menu recommended for customers who want to make curtain time.
A word from Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
Since 1999, Chef Wiedmaier infuses his Belgian heritage into Marcel's elegant haute French flagship restaurant. Regularly topping the best-of-lists in the nation's capital, in 2011 and 2012, it was rated the top restaurant for food by Zagat as well as one of the top five restaurants for service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier - Best Restaurants in Foggy Bottom ›
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier reviews from OpenTable diners
164 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (126)fit for foodies (116)romantic (106)notable wine list (77)neighborhood gem (32)good for groups (7)late-night find (5)hot spot (5)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- The Best Place Period!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2014This is not the first time we have been to Marcel's and most definitely not the last! There is just not enough room to list all of the great things Marcel's has to offer.Special Features:
- Spectacular!FineDiningLoverDined on 10/19/2014Four of us had coveted tickets to The Jay Leno Mark Twain Event at The Kennedy Center. We chose Marcel's, as none of us had dined there before, and they offered transportation to to the Kennedy Center. Our dining event was so incredibly fantastic, we are still talking about our meals, the service, the ambiance, and the fun time we all had together at dinner. The wait staff was so welcoming and gracious, we were immediately put at ease and had a great time choosing our different courses. The restaurant took full charge of timing. Our meal was paced perfectly for a relaxing time, without feeling rushed. We were taken to the Kennedy Center exactly as promised, the timing being just perfect. I am head over heals with Marcel's.Special Features:
- ExcellentKirkVIPDined on 10/18/2014Marcel's was excellent in every way. Delicious and beautifully presented foot and top-notch service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rachlinskiDined on 10/18/2014Perfect in every way. Attentive, considerate wait staff, gorgeous food. It was my wife's birthday and we shall never forget it. Fantastic.Special Features:
- Excellent in every categorydineoutoftenDined on 10/17/2014My wife and I had a memorable dinner at Marcel's. Everything about the evening was perfect...perfect ambiance, perfect service, and perfect food!Special Features:
- this food is just sillyFoolMeOnceDined on 10/17/2014This may be the most overrated restaurant I have ever experienced. The infinitesimal portions are ridiculous, but could be appreciated if the sauces had adequate, or ANY flavor. There are many servers, but your MAIN waiter is the only one who can assist you, so if he is explaining the novel worthy menu to another table, another glass of wine is a crapshoot. The 45 minute wait between courses was fantastic for dieters, for you had adequate time to burn off the tiny something with no taste that you recently consumed. Also, I often like restaurants that have patrons that look interesting to me, so I also felt adrift on a humanity desert island, surrounded by epicurean misfits, deceived, like me, into thinking that Marcel's would be great.
- Excellent food, wine and serviceFoodmanVIPDined on 10/17/2014This was our second time at Marcel's and it was as great as the first. The best restaurant in the area and my personal favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated and overpriced salty foodSuuuuDined on 10/13/2014Overrated and overpriced salty food. I have no idea how this place might be nr 1 in DC. My first and last visit there.
- Worthy of a Michelin StarAtomicguysDined on 10/12/2014Had dinner twice in one week at Marcel's and it was excellent each night. Arrived late the first time and choose a couple a la cart items instead of the tasting menu, each dish was very good, one of the best rack of lambs I've had in recent memory. The chef, even after 11pm, prepared a custom dessert on request when we wanted to mix and match. The second evening we ordered the 5 course tasting menu, all dishes were truly superb. The restaurant is pricey, so be prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/12/2014They never disappoint. We have been celebrating birthdays and anniversaries here for well over 10 years and plan on continuing that tradition as long as we can!Special Features:
- Best Place in DCwaspccpaDined on 10/12/2014How do you improve on perfection? It is a bit pricey but worth every nickel and worth having to wear a jacket. I wish I lived closer.Special Features:
- Perfect Night Out!missguam09Dined on 10/11/2014This restaurant is a Washington D.C. gem. The chef himself, Robert Wiedmaier, greeted my s/o and I at the front of the restaurant which was a nice touch to making us feel welcome. The wine list was excellent-- we got a pinot noir which was perfect with our meal. We each ordered four courses and had a variety of fish, meat and sweets. It was all superb! The restaurant boasts a romantic and relaxing ambiance-- there was great decor, friendly staff and impeccable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top restaurant in the US.izzyizVIPDined on 10/11/2014Everything at Marcel is top-notch, the level of service is unsurpassed compared to anywhere I have been, and the food is out of this world. The redesigned interior has also given the restaurant a bit more contemporary, but still very elegant feel. Marcel provides one of the best dininng experiences you can find anywhere in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StunningDidi74Dined on 10/11/2014The new renovations finally come up to the standard of the food created! Finally chic! Food and service beyond exceptional....Special Features:
- French/Belgian HeavenTbpotus23Dined on 10/10/2014I came into contact with Marcel's after much research for a fine dining restaurant. I was looking for a place to celebrate one of my best friends college graduation and new employment. It exceeded all my expectations. The wine selection was exquisite and the food was out of this world. The servers were extremely professional and courteous. I will definitely be coming back in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magic nightPFVEMVVIPDined on 10/10/2014One more wonderful Marcel's experience. The foie gras was spectacular.Special Features:
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/8/2014overall pretty good, worth the price. gave us extras as we were new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary Evening!Live2EatVIPDined on 10/6/2014My husband took me to Marcel's for our anniversary, and we had a fabulous evening. The restaurant even made personalized menus for the occasion. The menu is a tasting menu, but there is flexibility in the number of courses and which items YOU want. My husband and I ordered five courses (including desert), wine, and cocktails. The service was impeccable, the bartender was on the mark, and the food was memorable and truly delightful. The food is rich with flavor and the perfect balance for each course. If you have a special occasion, I highly suggest Marcel's!Special Features:
- fabulous anniversary celebrationyyyimtttDined on 10/6/2014AWESOME. Every morsel of food was delicious, the service was amazing, and Jonathan was phenomenal! He read my mind and anticipated our needs and desires. He also clearly explained the complex menu. Definitely one of our favorite places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect EVERY time!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/3/2014They never disappoint. We have been celebrating birthdays and anniversaries here for well over 10 years and plan on continuing that tradition as long as we can!Special Features:
- Lovely ExperienceConnieCDined on 10/3/2014Fantastic atmosphere. Very comfortable tables, spaced so you can have private conversation. Wait Staff was amazing. We ordered the six course tasting menu. Each offering was delicious. Was a tad worried we'd leave hungry because the portion sizes are small but was so pleasantly surprised. It was a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Number One PickDinersFromDCVIPDined on 10/2/2014With it's fresh re-model, the most comfortable chairs in a DC Restaurant, beautiful new flatware and china Marcel's still sparkles in the kitchen. Still the most attentive staff and a new menu that is fresh and fantastic, some old favorites gone but new beautiful palate of plenty. The duck, best in DC. Sweetbreads that melt in your mouth and secretly prepared fish and poultry. Not hung up on their own self importance Marcel's remains a number one choice.Special Features:
- Greta experienceonenightoutDined on 9/26/2014It was our anniversary and they completely took care of us. Highly recommend for a special occasion. Be sure to ask for Johnathan's section.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ban the cell phonesEdwardDined on 9/26/2014If jackets are required then cell phone use should be prohibited. I love this place and look forward to going whenever I'm in Foggy Bottom. The last thing I want is a rude patron on her cell phone in the dining room. I always felt that Marcel's was a trip into the past so this visit was very disappointing.
- PerfectWrigleyDined on 9/20/2014Dinner was perfect. Five courses with paired wines. Jonathan, the Captain took care of every detail to make our Anniversary dinner on Saturday evening a most perfect evening. Kudos to Chef for amazing flavours. We wouldn't have changed anythingSpecial Features:
- 6-year AnniversaryearlthapearlDined on 9/20/2014Each staff member was very polite and accommodating. We could actually enjoy our conversation as the background noise level was quite low. The food flavors as well as their presentation were incredible. We definitely had an excellent evening and will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/20/2014Have been going to great wash DC restaurants for 12years and somehow got in a rut with the same five or do. My daughter suggested Marcel's because she loved it and thought the food was excellent. So on a recent visit we dined there and I musty agree it truly exceeded my high expectations. Service and food perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New corking policy stinksSputnikDined on 9/19/2014Our waiter Ernesto was fabulous. The food -- divine. But we came with a bottle of Krug to celebrate a special occasion, unaware of a new policy that forbids corking on Sat nights. The maître d' was unapologetic and would make no exception. There are too many other grand restaurants in D.C. to return to his arrogant establishment.Special Features:
- DCCoupleDined on 9/19/2014If you don't have a special occasion coming up soon, make up one. Marcel's is where you'll want to celebrate. Everything about our 36th anniversary dinner was special from the welcome to the goodbye. Can't wait to go back and have Table Captain Johnathan take care of us.Special Features:
- A place to eat and ... talk!GreggDined on 9/19/2014The food was delicious (with some great invention and first-rate execution), the service was professional, the kitchen was VERY accommodating of my wife's allergies to the oils that are the mainstays of restaurants these days:canola oil and sunflower oil. (You'd be amazed how many high end restaurants cannot deal with it, saying that everything is made with canola. Whatever happened to butter and olive oil?) What sent our experience over the top was that the room was NOT TOO LOUD. We could actually have a conversation without shouting. How rare in room design these days. We will most assuredly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/18/2014When dining at Marcel's be sure to request Jonathan as your waiter. He is excellent!Special Features:
- One of the BEST in DC!!!susansonVIPDined on 9/18/2014Marcel's has been a favorite of mine for years - literally 25 years. Most restaurants can't keep a consistently good menu and staff going for 5 years - much less 25. Their pre-theatre menu is fantastic before a show at the KenCen or other DC venues and the food and wine are always spectacular. It's expensive, but well worth what you pay for it in both food and experience. We need more restaurants like Marcel's in Washington!Special Features:
- Great foodSeattleDined on 9/17/2014Had a wonderful evening for our anniversary while visiting DC on vacation. Would highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!HatterbakeVIPDined on 9/17/2014Went for our anniversary. They were so nice and even gave us a signed menu to take home. The food was some of the best I've had ever. Truthfully!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful formal experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/14/2014Extraordinary food and service. Expensive and worth it. A great place in DC to get dressed up and experience a professional wait staff and the best dinner. Perfect for before theater dinner.Special Features:
- Excellent, Excellent, Excellent!!SearrmanDined on 9/13/2014Best French food my wife and I have had by far. The service was excellent and the course spacing was perfect. It was the absolute definition of fine dining. Check the Menu on line. Every thing my wife and I chose was excellent. Ask for the wine paring with dinner and you can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy place, classy fooddpfoodieDined on 9/13/2014An excellent dinner, courses very well balanced, very well executed and presented. We each chose 5 courses from the 7 available and each one was excellent, attentive service, nice ambience, as good as the many top flight restaurants we've enjoyed in EuropeSpecial Features:
- Not impressedfabulousDined on 9/12/2014The food was very, very good, but I wouldn't say I was blown away. The service was so uneven it was hard to really enjoy the experience. To give a fine dining establishment, such as this, top marks it needs to operate like a well-oiled machine, which it did not. The servers delivering the courses, could tell us the name of the dish, but couldn't reasonably explain what that was on the plate. High-end restaurants should have well-trained staff and well-timed delivery of courses. The menu was very nice and offered excellent choices from every category. I liked that you could choose how many courses you wanted, from any category. For the prices charged, more was expected than what we received. The wine list was below average.Special Features:
- Experience to remember!hungrywoman638Dined on 9/12/2014I was in dc with my family for vacation. We decided to go ahead and splurge and go here! So glad we did. Service and food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a dine of a lifetimeallmanmadeVIPDined on 9/12/2014From the front door welcome to departure, Marcel's offered a truly memorable dining experience for my partner's birthday. The luxurious bar was a opulent meeting spot for a pre-dinner drink, free of DC happy-hour rabble. Service from the dining room staff was impeccable, befitting a flawless meal. The menu offers three selections for each of a variable number of tasting courses to suit a diner's appetite and tastes. Four courses would likely work for only your 84yo grandma, though their quality and refinement might be lost on her palette. Sweetbreads and escargot terrine. Velvety soup. Bison strip loin. Personal soufflé. Delicate herbed poussin. Mousse au chocolat. Eat dessert first, as you wish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.