Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
2401 Pennsylvania Ave.
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marcelsdc.com/
- Phone: (202) 296-1166
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday 5:00pm - 9:30pm;
Mon-Thurs 5:00pm - 10:00pm;
Fri-Sat 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Belgian, French
- Executive Chef: Paul Stearman, Chef de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Marcel's provides complimentary driving service to and from the Kennedy Center seven nights a week. Pre-theater menu recommended for customers who want to make curtain time.
A word from Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
Since 1999, Chef Wiedmaier infuses his Belgian heritage into Marcel's elegant haute French flagship restaurant. Regularly topping the best-of-lists in the nation's capital, in 2011 and 2012, it was rated the top restaurant for food by Zagat as well as one of the top five restaurants for service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier - Best Restaurants in Foggy Bottom ›
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (136)fit for foodies (128)romantic (111)notable wine list (86)neighborhood gem (32)hot spot (13)good for groups (9)late-night find (8)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent personal serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014We went to Marcells for our anniversary and we were not dissappointed. They gave us personalized and signed menus which was pretty thoughtful. The food was outrageous and sized perfectly for a six course meal. The service was everything you would expect. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for three generationsPasadenafoodieDined on 8/6/2014We followed the pre-theater menu and loved the food! Everyone found choices at 81,50 and 20. We had plenty of time to get to the show and enjoy our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dinnerLive2eatDined on 8/4/2014Best dinner in my whole life. Every plate was outstanding and they have a great service. Its worth every cent you spend there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the Best!Clifton12VIPDined on 8/2/2014Every time we dine at Marcel's, it's a joy! Greeted at the curb by the ever handsome and dashing Adnane, escorted inside to a comfy seat at the gorgeous bar and served the perfectly mixed cocktail. Hugs and kisses to Jonathan, the man who sets the standards for any server we encounter, anywhere we dine, and the evening becomes magical. The busboys move smoothly in removing emptied plates, refilling water glasses, gently everyone on the staff performs their duties respectfully so as not to make you feel you must eat quickly. The food is sublime and beautifully presented. Like I said, dining at Marcel's is a joy!Special Features:
- Good, but not worth the moneyef00Dined on 8/2/2014From a restaurant of this price range, I expect close-to-perfect cooking and/or innovative cooking. The food we had was fine -- some good, some not so good. I got the impression that this is a restaurant that is trying to be better than what the kitchen is capable of producing. Service was a bit annoying, but that is the luck of the draw. I won't go out of my way to eat here again.
- Lovely dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014Our waitress Alejandra is super. Very knowledgable of the menu and polite.... Made our evening lovely Food was great, so was the wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointing ambianceQuebecGoumetDined on 7/31/2014Advertised a fine gourmet restaurant, which implies that the atmosphere and ambiance are conducive to fine dining, we were disappointed to see that the staff seemed more interested in ensuring that a loud and boorish table of 6 was allowed to continue in its way - disturbing customers, who, I am sure, wanted a quite evening enjoying a fine meal. We were moved to a quieter section of the dining room, but the loud outbursts were still disturbing. Also, the section to which we moved was not as well decorated as the main dining room. The large group should have been sent there instead! In spite of this, the food was done and served to a high standard, if not exceptional.Special Features:
- Marcel's always satisfiesAlibaster3000Dined on 7/31/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in DC. It's a bit pricey but the experience is well worth it.Special Features:
- The following 1759 reviews are from the Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier reviews archive.
- The best restaurant in townJeff1Dined on 7/25/2014I think that Marcel's is DC's best restaurant. The food is always interesting and tasty, and service is excellent. The room is pretty and not too noisy.Special Features:
- GreatGreatVIPDined on 7/24/2014Visited for birthday and enjoyed 7-courses. The food was outstanding and presentation of plating was amazing.Special Features:
- Fab fish!NorliVIPDined on 7/21/2014Everything we tried was good, but the rockfish was incredible. A favorite place of ours in DC.Special Features:
- Both elegant and deliciousAirmanandWifeDined on 7/20/2014We had the pre-theater menu and the food was a delight. This particular menu has three courses and is perfect for that before-the-show excitement. The salads are ambitious, and don't fail to satisfy. My Mediterannean Sea Bass was served at just the right point between flaky and juicy and my wife's strip steak was meaty perfection. But the desserts! Such culinary mastery! From a tray of little micro-desserts to the bigger desserts of chocolate and a creme brulee that one has to taste to believe. For $65 per person, this was an amazingly affordable adventure for out taste buds and was paired just right with a show at the Kennedy Center! We'll be coming back as soon as we can!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a wonderful restaurantJohnDined on 7/19/2014Marcel's is a great restaurant. This is high-end dining at its best. The food is amazing, and the staff is terrific. Jonathan Crayne, the senior captain, served us and made it a very memorable experience. I highly recommend going to Marcel's, and please make sure to ask for Jonathan!Special Features:
- What an experience!TheWilsonsVIPDined on 7/19/2014Excellent food. Excellent ambiance. Excellent service. Excellent wine. Exceptional Experience! We did not feel like we were in a restaurant, but felt like someone's guests in a very romantic venue which also has a very happening bar scene. I know we will return often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- discriminative in seatingZeyadVIPDined on 7/19/2014despite the food is great, despite the waiter are polite, but the person who set us, was discriminative, because we have a child he did not sit us in dinning room, same he did for a person coming form europe, because he was not wearing formal suite. This treatmnet will deserve only one star, no more. Food is delcious otherwise.
- DisappointedRockcreekparkVIPDined on 7/18/2014We go out to dinner often and have lived in DC for over 30 years. Marcel's was a disappointment. As a tasting menu, the menu had a choice of 4, 5, 6, or 7 courses all of which were very rich/heavy with variety only among the fish and meats. Eating this many courses one would expect some lighter entries. There were minimal lighter offerings with no salads, soups or vegetable courses. It was also very expensive, starting at $85 for four courses. I had heard good reviews on Marcel's and Marcel's is currently ranked #1 in DC restaurants on Trip Advisor. I do no understand the high rating considering all the great restaurants in DC especially those with tasting menus that have variety (and at a more reasonable cost).
- Special anniversary dinner!charmDined on 7/17/2014We had our 10th anniversary dinner here. This restaurant truly delivered a classy, romantic, delicious dining experience. The service was impeccable. We were served by a team of people, led by the most skilled head waiter I have ever interacted with. This man guided through our meal, helping us make our choices and keeping us smiling without making us feel smothered. My husband is more of the foodie (so he would be writing more about the food if this was his review), but the food was wonderful. I chose 4 courses, and that was plenty for me, since they are so rich and I don't eat a ton at one sitting; my husband had 5 courses. I loved the decor of the restaurant, too. I left with a smile on my face, and we will be sure to return.Special Features:
- all goodsouthsiderVIPDined on 7/16/2014Had 7 course selection. All were very good. Wines by the glass worked well. Would go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine diningraboschsDined on 7/16/2014Michelin-star grade; the 7 course meal is a true culinary experience, and the wine list is on par with the food. Highly recommendable!Special Features:
- Great place to go before a show!blunderfulDined on 7/13/2014The staff really knows how to cater for the theater crowd. They recommend their pre-theater menu and have a car ready to take you there. We shared the car with another couple, but definitely a lot less stressful than having to drive ourselves. The pick you back up after the show and bring you back to the restaurant (where we had our car valet parked). It was perfect for a stress-free pampered evening. You don't have to hold back on food/drink because you'll be taken care of. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newlywed dinersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014The establishment provides a 3-course pre-theater menu that is a pleasing extract of the 5-course one, and my wife and I took advantage of it prior going to the Kennedy Center. When making the reservation, I had advised that we would be arriving as newlyweds, and I greatly appreciated the unsolicited selection of hors d'oeuvres and sweets they provided to celebrate. Complimentary chauffeur service to the Kennedy Center is provided, which we utilized. Our driver was polite to offer return trip service to the restaurant after our show. As we were staying in The Four Seasons four blocks away, this too was much appreciated. In fact, the weather turned to rain after, the driver was kind enough to drop us at our hotel instead . Wonderful!Special Features:
- Special dinner almost ruined!CJKVADined on 7/12/201430ieth anniversary. Upon entering Marcel's we were greeted by a nice hostess who wished us a Happy Anniversary and showed us to our table. The food as expected was outstanding. We have been to Marcel's several times and always have come away pleased with our experience. The only downside this time was the service. There was no explanation of the menu, the waiter did not even ask if we had been before. There was no attentiveness, no discussion on how we liked the food and when another table was set beside us we were ignored all together. So much so that I had to ask another server to have our waiter come back so I could order me wife another glass of wine. Not what I expect at a fine dining establishment. The food saved the day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/11/2014We don't live in DC and choose carefully our special dining experiences. We had last visited Marcel's four years ago and were delighted to learn that our fond memories of the excellent cuisine, service and ambience were accurate and reinforced by this experience.Special Features:
- Outstanding food, needs wine workGeorgeCVIPDined on 7/11/2014I've been privileged to eat at the finest restaurants in Europe and the US and this ranks among my top five favorites. Delicious, synergistic but complex flavors, just perfect portions (not too small, not too big), wide range of choices in every area of the menu. Only suggestion is they need to deepen their wine list to offer GREAT wines from FRANCE in moderate to expensive range, with focus on both Burgundy and Bordeaux. I had to settle for a Byron pinot noir by the glass for $15!! after we finished an average bottle of Burgundy.Special Features:
- Great Date NightTheDarkKnightDined on 7/11/2014Marcel's is a great way to spend a date night with your spouse or special occansion. The service was top notch and the food was as usual amazing. We did the 5 course meal with a bottle of wine.Special Features:
- Great mealbigeaterVIPDined on 7/11/2014This is the second time we have been to Marcel's. We went for my girlfriend's birthday in January and went back this time to celebrate our marriage. The food was remarkable as it was the first visit. My wife loves tastings and especially French tastings and we were not disappointed. Great food and atmosphere.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/11/2014date had a 7 course tasting, i had the 5. we had the additional Foie gras, foie was worth it. overall, great dining experience, food was well done, many good fish dishes, pork belly was done well. a little pricey but great food presentation and service was professional.Special Features:
- greatfoodDined on 7/11/2014Truly one of the most enjoyable dining experiences I have experienced. Incredible selections, an amazing complement of textures and flavors. The wait staff was very helpful and attentive. You can not go wrong with Marcel's. We went before a performance at the Kennedy Center and they took fantastic care of us to make sure we were on time for the performance. We depended on our steward for our wine pairings and the selections were perfect. Not being terribly sophisticated it can be intimidating to dine at a restaurant of Marcel's caliber, but the staff made us feel not only comfortable, but very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service as good as it getsPaulDined on 7/3/2014The title says it all. We have eaten in many top restaurants around the world, and Marcels would stand up to any of them. Notably, they allow you bring your own wine for a reasonable $50 corkage fee. For someone who has a good cellar, and wants to experience it with outstanding food, this would be the place. If I lived in DC I would be a regular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For what it was...it was first-ratergswinnersDined on 7/2/2014So, would I go back? 100% And, in fact, I am looking forward to it. Probably will not go the prix-fixe route next time, but for the first time, this was a great way to go. If you are thinking about it...go. You will be rewarded with a good time and excellent service.Special Features:
- OutstandingVerypickyDined on 6/30/2014The entire experience was a treat from the moment we entered. The staff was helpful without being condescending. The atmosphere is lovely, and oh the food! It was prepared meticulously and the flavors worked fantastically together. This restaurant is equal to the La Masionette in Cincinnati when it was in its prime during the 80's.Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD, GREAT SELECTIONcigarknightVIPDined on 6/30/2014My wife and I dined here for our 35th wedding anniversary while visiting DC, because I had been told that the food here was the best in the City, and I am happy to say that IT IS! The tasting menu is set up for 3-7 courses, and the selections in each course are widely varied, and in some cases, very creative...All the food was cooked and presented to perfection, and our server was professional, and quite a character...the wine list is huge, with several tough to find French wines and champagnes. My only negative observation is the decor...very plain and drab...but, the food is outstanding. Certainly, not the cheapest meal in the DC area, but well worth the price given the cost of several other "upscale" restaurants in the area....Special Features:
- The best of DCchap621VIPDined on 6/30/2014My second time at Marcel's was even better than the excellent first visit. The wait staff is knowledgeable, efficient, and attentive. The food was as close to perfect as it gets, and the wine flight well selected. Marcel's is far above any restaurant I've tried in the greater DC area–equal to top restaurants in France. It is expensive, but worth every nickel.Special Features:
- Excellent as always!FoodiefanaticDined on 6/29/2014The food at Marcel's is exquisite, as is the service. Such a treat for any special occasion. Don't miss their foie gras or filet mignon - both are scrumptious!Special Features:
- Perfect MealJoAnnDined on 6/28/2014Marcels is a very special restaurant. The food, ambience and service is flawless. We had the 5 course tasting menu and every dish was memorable especially the mussels gratin. That particular dish will be remembered forever.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in DC?CapitanSourceVIPDined on 6/28/2014Could be. Food is outstanding. Good selection. Can do tasting menu or a la carte. What's really great is that portions are sized to how much you order. Why doesn't every restaurant do this? Service couldn't be more attentive or friendly. No attitude here! Expensive but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Chicken TarragonGeorgetownMaryDined on 6/24/2014Marcel's is the place for fine dining...having just arrived at the airport three hours before dining , we wanted Just a light meal....even though the menu presented offers four, five, seven courses fixed price, our waiter graciously Offered salad and entree...my favorite at this restaurant is the Chicken Tarragon, best in the city...baby arugala parmesan salad was tasty...also we were able to have brandy, dessert, coffee at the sidewalk lounge and enjoy the evening breeze...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2014As always superb food, great ambiance, and a special evening made even more special by our waiter, Ernesto . Service taken to it's highest level!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceYolandeDined on 6/22/2014My guest and I were very pleased with the service and food. The atmosphere was relaxed. We didn't feel rushed although we had a show to attend afterwards. We chose the Pre-Theater menu and was pleasantly satisfied. Alejandra was very gracious and charming. She provided great details about our meal. Even the newest addition to the staff a young man from the Ivory Coast was quite professional. We were celebrating my birthday so when my dessert plate came decorated in beautiful chocolate script Happy Birthday and a candle, I was all smiles. The special touches meant a lot and made the evening perfect. The driver who drove us to and from the Kennedy Center was also very professional and precise. I would highly recommend Marcel's!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food for a special mealGeneMDined on 6/21/2014Choice of 4-7 courses on menu ($20 each); all are exquisitely prepared but not substantial in size. Wonderfully creative combinations of flavors and textures; what you would expect from high-end restaurant. Waiter excellent but support staff seemed inexperienced; table set with broken water glass. Ambiance above average, but tables close enough to each other that your conversations are not quite private. A special place for a special meal; for the price I expected all the details to be right to have earned 5 stars.Special Features: