Marathon - 16th & Sansom
121 S 16th St.
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Marathon - 16th & Sansom
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.eatmarathon.com/
- Phone: 2155693278x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 11:00am;
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 3:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm,
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Marlon Rambaran
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact email@example.com for catering options.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Renner 2155610500x
- Special Events: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to plan your party.
- Cross Street: 16th and Sansom
- Public Transit: Conveniently located only 3 blocks from the Broad Street Line and several major bus routes including: 2, 9, 21, and 42.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Located near several public parking lots on Sansom St and 15th St. Street parking is permitted throughout the day and dependent on availability.
A word from Marathon - 16th & Sansom
Marathon has served the neighborhoods of Philadelphia for over 25 years as a family-run restaurant group. We serve well-made American classics, and strive to source the freshest food locally available to us, including from our own Marathon Farm in Brewerytown, Philadelphia. Our favorite farm to table items include our grass-fed Cheesesteak, free-range Turkey Plate, and fluffy Omelets made with cage-free eggs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Marathon - 16th & Sansom - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Marathon - 16th & Sansom reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since April 1 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (12)great for lunch (10)neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (6)fit for foodies (5)late-night find (4)special occasion (2)romantic (2)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great Foodcipher013Dined on 7/25/2014Simple menu but the food is wonderful every time we visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FreshDined on 7/19/2014Everything was wonderful. Food was great, hot and fresh! Service was fast and friendly! (no changing table)Special Features:
- Good for a quick bite and for kids.RickVIPDined on 6/7/2014We had our granddaughters with us and needed a place to meet the needs of a group from 5 to ??. We were seated quickly and the server was friendly and efficient. Everyone found something they would eat for lunch and we went on down the road, well-fed and happy.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceluvgoodfoodDined on 5/24/2014The food was great, my husband and I were impressed by the atmosphere and the great customer service. Marathon serves really good food at a very affordable price. We will definitely dine at Marathon again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is pretty good, but...HungrygirlVIPDined on 5/15/2014The food is pretty good, especially if you're dining with picky eaters. There are a lot of American standards like burgers, sandwiches, and salads on the menu, but they also have more interesting options like Moroccan meatballs and fish entree specials. However, the service is not good. We waited about 20 mins after we were seated for someone to come over to our table and we didn't have all the menus to even decide what we wanted while we were waiting. In addition, one of the items we ordered, the Moroccan meatballs, never came. Thankfully we were not charged for it, but I was really looking towards eating them. I was disappointed with our dining experience and there are plenty of places with similar quality food that have better serviceSpecial Features:
- Always ReliableduckyDined on 5/2/2014Marathon on 16th Street has always been reliable for good food at fair prices - in fact, cheap for Center City Philadelphia. Friday evening's Tilapia with couscous and grilled veggies was perfect for a pre-concert dinner. The large, meal-portion salads are also notable. Service is quick & more than competent.Special Features:
- Ambiance and good foodStutheeataDined on 4/25/2014We keep going back because it's conveniently located. The food is consistently good. It's usually noisy but occasionally it's so noisy, it's difficult to hold a conversation. All the surfaces are hard and therefore reflect and amplify the overall din! I've heard that many restaurants believe that a noisy environment is "preferred" and exciting place to be! I feel that if they would just add some absorptive material on the ceiling and possibly a little on the available walls, will keep the noisy environment but at a less stress inducing level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly with great quality foodCafeBetsyDined on 4/25/2014The hostess kindly moved my time when my friend missed his train making him 1 hour late. This meant that we ate at a much busier time, so the dining room was bustling & much, much noisier which made conversation with my elderly friend much tougher. The waitress was very helpful and friendly and our food - the Italian soup and copious & delicious Marathon sampler that he ordered, and my salad and meatloaf special all came at the same time (in fact my meal came before our appetizers & when I mentioned it she made the vegetable correction on my meal but then brought all back at the same time. On a tiny table, it made it very crowded having all 4 plates at once - but everything was delicious and we did made it to the Kimmel Center on time !Special Features:
- AttentiveFlourtownGDined on 4/25/2014We had a very short time frame to make an appointment. Service was excellent and we made our appointment. Food also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant and price-friendly!NornorVIPDined on 4/5/2014I was very happy that this restaurant is affordable but the food is awesome! No complaints.Special Features:
- The following 105 reviews are from the Marathon - 16th & Sansom reviews archive.
- great neighborhood restaurantLennyVIPDined on 4/1/2014great neighborhood restaurant with great street views forc people watching.....excellent special 3 course for $20 can get bottler of wine for $20 as well.......great service and tasty food....does take reservations probably needed on weekends...Special Features:
- Not very friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/16/2014The meatloaf was great! I was in the mood for comfort food and this place did not disappoint. A coworker highly recommended this place for dinner so I was disappointed when I received unfriendly service. It may have just been an off night for the waiter but it was still disappointing. Very slow service tooSpecial Features:
- Great foodFoodieJadeVIPDined on 3/4/2014I absolutely love the veggie burger here. Great when combined with the Cesar salad. The burger is good. And the High Maintenance Salad offers a great way to make the salad you want. Portions are great sizes and the salads are definitely on the larger side. The Cheesesteak Wontons are a great starter, worth trying! You won't be sorry. The staff is super friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun timeJeffHUSSDined on 2/14/2014Pretty cheap for high-quality food. Delicious. I was running out of places to getting dinner for Valentine's Day and found this gem. It's not very formal, kind of like casual/ business causal. Perfect if you want to go to a nice place and love to eat for cheap!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Responsive serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/26/2014We were tight on time with a train to catch, and the service at Marathon Grille couldn't have been better. Friendly, attentive, speedy. Three of us got the 3-course dinner special and one got a soup and sandwich, and the kitchen coordinated the courses perfectly. Food was tasty and a good value.Special Features:
- UnevenjoanneDined on 1/25/2014I was surprised at how disappointing this was. I expected more from the menu. The soup and coffee were cold The waitress was not around most of the time. No one cleared the dirty dishes between courses The meal was really mediocre
- Food is delicious but bewarecsahinDined on 1/16/2014I really like Marathon. If I'm in the area, I usually try to go there. Their burgers are amazing. Prices are not too expensive. If you don't get alcohol, a dinner for 2 usually ends up being $25-30. I would recommend this place. My only complaint was regarding our to-go boxes. I couldnt finish my food so asked for a box and noticed that only a portion of what was left on my plate made it to my box.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid unpretentousBBESQVIPDined on 1/7/2014Good choice for lunch or a quick supper, with a bar if you want one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gemArtsygerlDined on 12/31/2013My family of 5 ate at Marathon on New Years Eve. We had a great experience the staff was very friendly. The food was delicious and plentiful! They serve many American Classics, and offer a large selection of menu items at affordable prices. There was something for everyone. My family cannot wait to eat there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!PattyDined on 12/27/2013Marathon was the perfect spot for dinner - not too fancy, not too casual. The food was healthy and fresh. It was perfect!Special Features:
- For families and couples alikeLittleMamaDined on 12/14/2013I found Marathon on a hunt for family-friendly restaurants within a reasonable walking distance of the Philadelphia Theatre Company, and as soon as I read the menu I knew it would be perfect for our group, which consisted of myself, my hubby, our 22-month-old son, and my parents. The prices were reasonable, and the whole menu, including the kids menu, had good variety. Upon arriving, I noted that the atmosphere had a very calm vibe, with low lighting and warm colors all around. I do have to say that the seating was a little close, just as a head's up. Overall, the food was wonderful, although the service was a little slow despite the fact that the wait staff appeared to have a lot of down time. I would definitely go back in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our regular Friday Night spotSGoldVIPDined on 11/29/2013We frequent this restaurant on Friday evenings on our way back from the parking garage. The food quality and service are always very good. We regularly reserve thru Open Table. I've responded to your previous request for a review but would prefer to only do so for restaurants we're trying for the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good For Business DrinksBizDinDined on 11/25/2013Met with a prospect for drinks and things went well. Good bar menu too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceAnthonyDined on 11/24/2013My girlfriend and I enjoyed our time at Marathon. The server was very kind, and offered us a sample of the seasonal beer, of which we both ordered a full glass after trying. The food was very good, and the ambience was nice except it was pretty chilly sitting near the window (I'm sure it's the best seat in the house during the summertime).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a PleasureAndrewDined on 11/22/2013Such a smooth and rich experience had the Pasta Bolognese it was amazing just perfect. My Mother had the meatloaf which wasn't to her liking we asked to speak with the manager who was such a delight to talk to, she switched out the meatloaf for Pasta Bolognese and didn't even charge us for it because of our experience with the meatloaf. I then ordered a Black and white milk shake which was smooth and creamy. This Marthon Grille is one of the best restaurants in Philly, a wonderful gem. I would recommend the food here to the president.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun PlacechmarskyVIPDined on 11/16/2013I enjoyed this place, very friendly and the food was good. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marathon...definitely a find!!ProfWafflesDined on 11/9/2013Went to Marathon for dinner because Hibachi place around the corner was packed. I am so glad we did. The Spruce salad was delicious and the spiked milkshakes were a treat. Only thing we noticed is that the food wasn't hot. My roommate got a chicken dish, which should have been, and it was luke warm at best. I definitely recommend Marathon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, Casual Foodjboultboult14Dined on 11/5/2013This is a great restaurant if you're looking for good, American food that is delicious and well produced. There are a wide variety of options, from comfort food to salads and sandwiches so there is sure to be something for everyone. My sister and I had a lot of fun here and enjoyed delicious moroccan meatballs as the highlight of our meal. It's pretty casual, but delicious and perfect for 20 year oldsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was fantastic andOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/3/2013The food was fantastic and the menu accommodated the dietary needs of our group well - one non-meat eater had plenty of delicious options Very nice experience - will be back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ValueBrickyardBoilerDined on 10/19/2013In the heart of the city, Marathon was a great buy. High quality at very reasonably prices. Portions were just right, service friendly and a good location to downtown shopping in Philly. Great choice for us. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- large partylitllaur0122Dined on 10/12/2013While we love Marathon and it is a great place to go it was hard with a large part (15 people) we were not able to move around well due to the long table placed very closely to other tables. The service and food were great and we had a good time it just was hard to talk to everyone and move around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Real PleasureAndrewDined on 10/4/2013Dinned out on Friday Oct 4, 2013 with mom, this is my second time here..ordered Salmon as Talapia which were both amazing... If you dine here please ask for Andrew he is one of the most amazing people you will meet made the experience suitable for royality... The atmosphere is very calm laid back and warm... It's just what you need to after a busy week or day of non stop city life. This resturant is one of my favorites because the quality of food is something you would pay top dollar for but instead the prices are reasonable... This is the best kept secret.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeMikeDined on 9/25/2013Good food with healthy choices on menu. We frequently stop in for a quick and tasty healthy meal. Marathon is always a enjoyable stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!CraigDined on 9/21/2013Our server was friendly and attentive and the food was very good, especially for the price.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Goodivy1601VIPDined on 9/19/2013This was my 3rd time dining at this restaurant. The food is very good and the service is always good to very good. I took my wife and adult daughter and they looked it! The restaurant is good when you are in a hurry but has enough atmosphere and menu selection so that a group of friends could just hangout for an hour or so to enjoy each other's company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it is what we thought it waserjoififhDined on 9/13/2013a diner. good. will go back. close to home. great? nope. good beer? nope. steady though. usualllyI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantAdamDined on 8/24/2013The food was great and so was the service. Simple classic dishes that are tweaked to give them a more upscale feel. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Poor ServiceDateNightDined on 8/19/2013Thank god the food was very good (some of the best salmon I've ever had). However, my waiter wasn't so friendly, nor did he look like he wanted to work at Marathon. I would recommend the Marathon on 19th and Spruce. Better service, even better ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2013Always a pleasurable experience! We both got salads, so it's kind of hard to mess that up, but what I will say is that we also got the hummus platter as an appetizer and we were a bit surprised. The menu described it as hummus with pickled vegetables. What came out was a hummus and pita platter with maybe two fork-fulls of very thinly sliced veggies. We were expecting to dip veggies in hummus (and of course, no pita). It was fine, but the hummus itself was mediocre at best. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone actually.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful serviceOpenTable DinerDined on 7/12/2013Waiter never came by to refill our drinks (waters)! He was way too busy socializing with other restaurant employees. Food was pretty good, but the service killed the experience for me. Not sure if I'll be back, maybe I'll try the other location.