Mara's Continental Cuisine
3602 RT 35 North
South Amboy, NJ 08879Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
Mara's Continental Cuisine
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marasrestaurantnj.com/
- Phone: 7325250045x
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday - Monday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Continental, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Michael Steinberg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Mara’s offers private dining rooms for your special occasions like office functions, bridal & baby showers, and birthday parties. Please contact us for a personal consultation.
- Private Party Contact: Michael Steinberg 732-525-0045x
- Entertainment: Mara's has a piano player in the main dining room most Friday and Saturday evenings.
A word from Mara's Continental Cuisine
Mara’s offers a fine dining experience in an elegant atmosphere in the heart of Middlesex County, New Jersey. Our Executive Chef, Michael Steinberg, trained at the prestigious Institute of Culinary Education in Manhattan and has designed a menu that focuses on seafood and steaks. We look forward to having you dine with us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mara's Continental Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (5)neighborhood gem (5)good for groups (5)special occasion (4)romantic (3)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great placeLucrivDined on 9/5/2014Please was great! Service was personal, food was delicious and homemade, decor is very pretty. Will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- iluvsteakVIPDined on 8/23/2014I had the double cut pork chop which was outstanding and my wife had the hanger steak which was good but not great. The waitress was friendly but the service could use improvement. I ordered an appetizer that never came. She apologized but if she had been more attentive she would have realized we didn't get it. It's not like it was very busy. Also, we had to ask for steak knives. They brought one for my wife but not me. Had to ask again. The bus person was trying to be perfect but so much so that it was a bit annoying. He had to straighten the bread plate on the table because it was on an angle. When he did bring the knives, instead of placing it down next to me he reached across in front of me to place it on my right side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing worth returning forFoodislifeDined on 8/22/2014Pasta was starchy, and flavorless, scallops were tiny, and overdone. Complimentary bruschetta was a nice touch.Special Features:
- Hidden gem!RickDined on 8/11/2014Went to Mara's on a Monday night at 6:30PM. We were the only customers there! Only another couple came in the time we were there. That's a shame! The food is very well-prepared, flavorful, and in an exquisite fashion. The ambiance is romantic, and the price-point is not that expensive, especially when including an Amazon $20 certificate you can purchase for $40 worth of food. They have a very nice bar as well. I'm guessing they receive the majority of their clientele at night, but it's definitely a place to enjoy any time for dinner. Service was vey pleasurable as well.Special Features:
- Great FindLUVFOODTRVLVIPDined on 8/1/2014Rush to this excellent newcomer! Excellent food served by fantastic staff. Great drinks too. Don't miss the outstanding Pork Chop main course, and Cockle appetizer.
- Hidden GemSnuddDined on 7/12/2014This place is a hidden gem! We were given some bruschetta prior to our appetizers coming out, which was very good. Then started off with the prosciutto wrapped scallops and garlic shrimp which were absolutely delicious. Entrees were all good Duck, Chicken Pesto Pasta, Hanger Steak. I had the seared Tuna which was out of this world. The tuna was cooked perfectly to my liking and the sauces we very flavorful. To drink we had a pitcher of the Sangria to share. The prices are very reasonable for what you get. Entrees range from $15-30, but there is also a bar menu that we want to go back and try out. Beers were $4 each, which isn't bad at all.Special Features:
- The following 12 reviews are from the Mara's Continental Cuisine reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/25/2014We had a great meal. The service was extremely friendly and attentive. The chef even came out to introduce himself and thanked us for out patronage. I recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mara's is a gembasil4meDined on 3/14/2014The dining room at Mara's is very romantic with the French doors and candlelight. The piano player on Friday and Saturday evenings is very special. The music fills the air and it's so romantic. The food is delicious and the service was wonderful. I wish you much success!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not recommendedGuidoDined on 2/14/2014Went for Valentine's Day with a fix menu. Had a 7:00pm reservation and was seated right away. Restaurant was half full at this time. Sat for 20 minutes before someone came to our table and offered water. Another 25 minutes before getting a drink. Placed order and waited almost an hour before getting served. When finally finished they brought our dessert and coffee to the wrong table and I had to go and get it. During our 3 hour ordeal we watched several other couples complain about not being served and actually left. Food was great when we got it but definitely not worth the wait and aggravation
- poor serviceunsatisfiedDined on 2/14/2014It took 25 minutes to get a drink order in and that was only because I grabbed a random waiter that was passing by. It was another 2 hours before the dinner was brought to the table. I asked to speak to the manager 3 times and was told that he was "too busy". Finally a person who identified herself as an owner came to the table to apoligize for the long wait. Her excuse was that they didn't expect that many people, but it was Valentine's day and we all had made reservations so they knew how many people were coming. No effort was made to correct the problem. I saw at 2 other tables leave before their food arrived because they were waiting too long. Then they added a gratuitary tip to the bill even though there were only 2 of us at the table.
- impressiveDaveDined on 1/20/2014Under new ownership for about 4 months now. The place is beautiful. A mix of old and new . The food was amazing. The service was great, they made us feel very welcomed. Give this place a try, you will not be sorrySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great start to the New Year!ConflictedDined on 1/1/2014We went to this restaurant for New Years eve dinner and it went very well. I enjoyed all my courses which included calamari, pear gorgonzola salad, duck and chocolate mousse....the value and amount were well worth the price for the 4 courses. The inside is cute and they sat us near the fireplace and away from the live jazz which would have been way too loud for us. The servers were very nice and adequately attentive. We did hear a nearby table complain that they werent getting served often enough, but then they had the open bar option. I would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years Eve partyJencDined on 12/31/2013Mara's food is excellent! The artichoke ravioli starter that was on the New Years Eve special menu was out of this world! The hazelnut chocolate cake was also heavenly. Will definitely be a repeat customer.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceKristyDined on 12/31/2013Fantastic food and exceptional service! Had a reservation for New Years Eve and even though they were understaffed they went out of their way to make sure that we had a great evening. Made our night and looking forward to going back very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/23/2013The chef's passion for farm fresh ingredients on his menu was well revived by my guests this evening.. I think this Restaurant could be in New York and do very well. I do hope the area understands how good the food is here.. I will be back again every chance I get..this is truly a gem..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The family stopped in to celebrateDocnimDined on 11/24/2013The family stopped in to celebrate my daughter's first chorus performance. The staff was attentive and the food was excellent ( French Onion Soup was outstanding). It was the perfect way to cap off the day. The establishment is new and we hope to go back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food enjoyed byLuv2eatDined on 11/21/2013Very good food enjoyed by all in our party. Attentive service. A shame the restaurant was empty, but it has only just opened. Well worth trying!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemMatildaMoynihanDined on 9/28/2013The food and attention to detail at Mara's Continental Cuisine defy the roadside location. Definitely a promising young chef in the kitchen with a well-executed, flavorful and well-balanced menu. We'll be back... and you should visit too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.