Mara's Continental Cuisine
3602 RT 35 North
South Amboy, NJ 08879Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
Mara's Continental Cuisine
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marasrestaurantnj.com/
- Phone: (732) 525-0045
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday - Monday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Continental, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Michael Steinberg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Mara’s offers private dining rooms for your special occasions like office functions, bridal & baby showers, and birthday parties. Please contact us for a personal consultation.
- Private Party Contact: Michael Steinberg 732-525-0045x
A word from Mara's Continental Cuisine
Mara’s offers a fine dining experience in an elegant atmosphere in the heart of Middlesex County, New Jersey. Our Executive Chef, Michael Steinberg, trained at the prestigious Institute of Culinary Education in Manhattan and has designed a menu that focuses on seafood and steaks. We look forward to having you dine with us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mara's Continental Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (9)neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (8)romantic (8)special occasion (7)notable wine list (4)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great fooddininggemsDined on 11/8/2014Highly recommended. The food and the atmosphere were both very good. I read about the calamari appetizer with the Asian sauce and it was the best, most tender I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- groupienDined on 11/5/2014EXCELLENT food, a little expensive for the neighborhood but DEFINITELY worth it. WONDERFUL ambiance. VERY accommodating and knowledgeable staff.Special Features:
- Why haven't you been to Mara?ILuvFoodDined on 10/18/2014We had dinner on a Saturday night and were shocked at how few people were there. You must go! Everything about this restaurant is amazing and fantastic. I had seared tuna encrusted with sesame seeds and it was the best tuna I have ever had ever. My husband had the wild salmon and absolutely loved it. Our salads were Caesar and a Mediterranean consisting of tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions and grilled shrimp. Both salads had the best, freshest ingredients. The service was attentive and amazing. We will definitely go back. More people need to discover Mara. It's on Rte 35 North in South Amboy right after a hill in the highway. You can also get there from South Amboy. It's at the end of Catherine Street at the corner of Catherine and 35.Special Features:
- birthday celebrationborkecrisa6969Dined on 10/2/2014My wife booked this for my birthday, October 2, 2014. The restaurant is a hidden gem. Location is right off 35 and hard not to miss. The inside was beautiful. Décor was nice welcoming and very romantic. Great place for large parties lots of small private rooms-two fire places, etc. Menu was limited but the chef decides on the availabilities for the day but is very accommodating. Our food was cooked perfectly, generous portions and we had amazing service. I truly enjoyed our dining experience and will come back again!Special Features:
- Great PlaceToniDined on 9/26/2014We have been to Mara's many times and have never been dissapointed. The food is excellent and make sure to save room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & ambiance; would returncritiquerDined on 9/20/2014Very good food, although not every dish was served at once (for a party of four). The scallop dish that was ordered should have been served with the group. Our server could have been more attentive, as the place was surprisingly not crowded on a Saturday night. Portions were adequate, & for that reason we all skipped dessert. Final coffee service was disaster, as they claimed the cappuccino machine had to be pressurized. In spite of the worts, we would go back & give another chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeLucrivDined on 9/5/2014Please was great! Service was personal, food was delicious and homemade, decor is very pretty. Will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- iluvsteakVIPDined on 8/23/2014I had the double cut pork chop which was outstanding and my wife had the hanger steak which was good but not great. The waitress was friendly but the service could use improvement. I ordered an appetizer that never came. She apologized but if she had been more attentive she would have realized we didn't get it. It's not like it was very busy. Also, we had to ask for steak knives. They brought one for my wife but not me. Had to ask again. The bus person was trying to be perfect but so much so that it was a bit annoying. He had to straighten the bread plate on the table because it was on an angle. When he did bring the knives, instead of placing it down next to me he reached across in front of me to place it on my right side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing worth returning forFoodislifeDined on 8/22/2014Pasta was starchy, and flavorless, scallops were tiny, and overdone. Complimentary bruschetta was a nice touch.Special Features:
- Hidden gem!RickDined on 8/11/2014Went to Mara's on a Monday night at 6:30PM. We were the only customers there! Only another couple came in the time we were there. That's a shame! The food is very well-prepared, flavorful, and in an exquisite fashion. The ambiance is romantic, and the price-point is not that expensive, especially when including an Amazon $20 certificate you can purchase for $40 worth of food. They have a very nice bar as well. I'm guessing they receive the majority of their clientele at night, but it's definitely a place to enjoy any time for dinner. Service was vey pleasurable as well.Special Features:
- Great FindLUVFOODTRVLVIPDined on 8/1/2014Rush to this excellent newcomer! Excellent food served by fantastic staff. Great drinks too. Don't miss the outstanding Pork Chop main course, and Cockle appetizer.
- The following 13 reviews are from the Mara's Continental Cuisine reviews archive.
- Hidden GemSnuddDined on 7/12/2014This place is a hidden gem! We were given some bruschetta prior to our appetizers coming out, which was very good. Then started off with the prosciutto wrapped scallops and garlic shrimp which were absolutely delicious. Entrees were all good Duck, Chicken Pesto Pasta, Hanger Steak. I had the seared Tuna which was out of this world. The tuna was cooked perfectly to my liking and the sauces we very flavorful. To drink we had a pitcher of the Sangria to share. The prices are very reasonable for what you get. Entrees range from $15-30, but there is also a bar menu that we want to go back and try out. Beers were $4 each, which isn't bad at all.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/25/2014We had a great meal. The service was extremely friendly and attentive. The chef even came out to introduce himself and thanked us for out patronage. I recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mara's is a gembasil4meDined on 3/14/2014The dining room at Mara's is very romantic with the French doors and candlelight. The piano player on Friday and Saturday evenings is very special. The music fills the air and it's so romantic. The food is delicious and the service was wonderful. I wish you much success!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not recommendedGuidoDined on 2/14/2014Went for Valentine's Day with a fix menu. Had a 7:00pm reservation and was seated right away. Restaurant was half full at this time. Sat for 20 minutes before someone came to our table and offered water. Another 25 minutes before getting a drink. Placed order and waited almost an hour before getting served. When finally finished they brought our dessert and coffee to the wrong table and I had to go and get it. During our 3 hour ordeal we watched several other couples complain about not being served and actually left. Food was great when we got it but definitely not worth the wait and aggravation
- poor serviceunsatisfiedDined on 2/14/2014It took 25 minutes to get a drink order in and that was only because I grabbed a random waiter that was passing by. It was another 2 hours before the dinner was brought to the table. I asked to speak to the manager 3 times and was told that he was "too busy". Finally a person who identified herself as an owner came to the table to apoligize for the long wait. Her excuse was that they didn't expect that many people, but it was Valentine's day and we all had made reservations so they knew how many people were coming. No effort was made to correct the problem. I saw at 2 other tables leave before their food arrived because they were waiting too long. Then they added a gratuitary tip to the bill even though there were only 2 of us at the table.
- impressiveDaveDined on 1/20/2014Under new ownership for about 4 months now. The place is beautiful. A mix of old and new . The food was amazing. The service was great, they made us feel very welcomed. Give this place a try, you will not be sorrySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great start to the New Year!ConflictedDined on 12/31/2013We went to this restaurant for New Years eve dinner and it went very well. I enjoyed all my courses which included calamari, pear gorgonzola salad, duck and chocolate mousse....the value and amount were well worth the price for the 4 courses. The inside is cute and they sat us near the fireplace and away from the live jazz which would have been way too loud for us. The servers were very nice and adequately attentive. We did hear a nearby table complain that they werent getting served often enough, but then they had the open bar option. I would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years Eve partyJencDined on 12/31/2013Mara's food is excellent! The artichoke ravioli starter that was on the New Years Eve special menu was out of this world! The hazelnut chocolate cake was also heavenly. Will definitely be a repeat customer.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceKristyDined on 12/31/2013Fantastic food and exceptional service! Had a reservation for New Years Eve and even though they were understaffed they went out of their way to make sure that we had a great evening. Made our night and looking forward to going back very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/23/2013The chef's passion for farm fresh ingredients on his menu was well revived by my guests this evening.. I think this Restaurant could be in New York and do very well. I do hope the area understands how good the food is here.. I will be back again every chance I get..this is truly a gem..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The family stopped in to celebrateDocnimDined on 11/24/2013The family stopped in to celebrate my daughter's first chorus performance. The staff was attentive and the food was excellent ( French Onion Soup was outstanding). It was the perfect way to cap off the day. The establishment is new and we hope to go back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food enjoyed byLuv2eatDined on 11/21/2013Very good food enjoyed by all in our party. Attentive service. A shame the restaurant was empty, but it has only just opened. Well worth trying!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemMatildaMoynihanDined on 9/28/2013The food and attention to detail at Mara's Continental Cuisine defy the roadside location. Definitely a promising young chef in the kitchen with a well-executed, flavorful and well-balanced menu. We'll be back... and you should visit too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.