Long Branch, NJ 07740Neighborhood:
PortuguesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://marbelorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7328702222
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30pm - 4:00pm
Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Portuguese
- Executive Chef: Pedro Custodio, Andrew
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Mar Belo
Portugal: Land of Explorers In the 15th Century, Prince Henry the navigator ordered his explorers to bring back to Portugal any exotic fruits, nuts and plants from the new lands. Tomatoes and potatoes are taken to Europe, Brazilian pineapples were introduced to Azores, Brazilian chili peppers grew in Angola, African coffee was transplanted to Brazil. Today the Portuguese fondness for ingredients like cinnamon or curry powder, is also a legacy of his time. The Romans brought wheat and introduced onion, garlic, olives and grapes. Later the Moors were the first to plant rice and introduced figs, planted groves of lemons, oranges and almond trees. Portugal is a seafaring nation with a well-developed fishing industry trading cod since the 15th century. Today, naturally, Portuguese cuisine varies from region to region , but fresh fish and shellfish are found on virtually every menu. BOM APETITE!!!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
Mar Belo - Best Restaurants in Long Branch ›
Mar Belo reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)fit for foodies (43)special occasion (29)good for groups (23)romantic (19)great for outdoor dining (19)notable wine list (16)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (5)Show More
- Outstanding dining experieceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014We were four for lunch. All unanimously agreed we made the right decision going to Mar Belo. The food was terrific was terrific, tasty and well presented. The wine, a Portuguese white and very reasonably price, was excellent. Cristiano must be one the best waiters ever. Polite, friendly, knowledgeable, spoke three languages flawlessly. He made the occasion memorable.Special Features:
- Mar Belodiningout1Dined on 10/11/2014Mar Belo offers some of the best food I've ever tasted. When ordering food at Mar Belo's it is impossible to make a mistake because anything you choose will be delicious! The staff are friendly and knowledgeable.The portions are generous and the atmosphere is elegant and relaxing. The unique blending of Portuguese and Spanish dishes provides unique flavors of the highest restaurant quality. It's always a pleasure dining at Mar Belo'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than average for our area.noodleDined on 10/11/2014This was our first visit and we will try it again. Nice dinning room but they could do without the multitude of big screen TVs in the bar lounge area. Either they want to be a fine dinning establishment or a Pub - they need to make up their mind. Food was slightly above average although my Chorizo was too salty and the bread could have been warm and crispy which it was not. I had the skirt steak and my wife the rack of lamb. Both were well prepared and the portions were generous. Service was attentive up until we were ready to ask for the check and then we had to search for our waiter longer than necessary.
- Go to Mar-Belo!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014We decided to try Mar-Belo after the reading the great reviews on Open Table. Well, the reviews are correct! The restaurant was great from start to finish! The parking was free and accessible, the restaurant is nicely decorated with friendly staff when you arrive and the bar is located in a separate room which allows for the dining area to be intimate. Our server was WONDERFUL! I do not remember his name, but he was tall, slender and very helpful. He was polite, offered us suggestions on wine and spoke to us as if we were family! A family of four arrived shortly after we did and they must be regulars because he was hugging them and they were speaking as if they were happy to see him! Overall- Mar-belo is a MUST TRY and we will go back!Special Features:
- Best crab cake!foodaddictVIPDined on 10/8/2014best crab cake I ever ate! had some tapas plates with drinks before going to a show at the Long Branch Rep. theater. The bartender made an awesome espresso martini and then we had garlic shrimp, scallops, chorizo, and the most amazing crab cake ever. It was actually crab and not bread crumbs!! Don't go to Mar Belo and leave without trying one :)Special Features:
- YumJulesVIPDined on 10/4/2014Excellent new find!! We will be back! Great food, beautiful decor, warm service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hertziesDined on 10/1/2014We found this restaurant beautiful and most appealing. The service was exceptional and the food A-1. We will go back.Special Features:
- ljlmjlDined on 9/27/2014Found this reasurant on open table. Stated firsy table avaiable 8:15 but when I went on line to book I could list any time I wanted took 7:45 and table was ready when I got. Food was excellent. Service a little slow buy they were very busy. Enterance in back don't go to the front.Special Features:
- Very niceReggiesfindsDined on 9/27/2014The Portuguese beers were a treat. The Cosmo I am told was perfect. Needed an orange peel to top it off. Next - the mussels - delicious. Paella and Chilean Sea bass - superb. Wine was on mark - good quality to price and the temperature it was served at was where it needed to be. The service was excellent - Andre is at the top of his game. Very pleased over all.Special Features:
- Great value with an upscale feelLadyfishDined on 9/19/2014We were pleasantly surprised with the NYC bustling atmosphere without a loud noise level. Service was excellent allowing us to enjoy our meal without ever feeling rushed. The portions were generous for a very reasonable price and quality excellent. A true find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My second time. couldn't be better.Rev70Dined on 9/19/20144 in our party hadn't been before. They all liked it. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderul ExperienceBrittanystyleDined on 9/13/2014I came here for the first time with a group of 8 for our friends 50th birthday. We are a bunch of foodies and very particular. So I was nervous about trying Bar Melo for the first time for such a special occasion. Cristiano put all of these worries at ease. The service was impeccable! The food was amazing. We will be back very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, friendly environment.yakgalVIPDined on 9/13/2014This was our first visit, but we will definitely be back. We visited for an early dinner following an afternoon at nearby Monmouth Park race track. The décor is lovely, cloth napkins, well spaced seating, good lighting. Unfortunately it was not good weather for outside dining. The patio seating looked lovely although it faces the parking lot. All four of us found our meals to be excellently prepared and nicely presented. We sampled the crab cakes, mahi mahi, salt cod & skirt steak. My steak was prepared rare as ordered, with veggies and potatoes, all of which were very flavorful. The salads were definitely large enough to be split, fresh and tasty. The white sangria was an excellent complement to the meal. None of us had room for dessert.Special Features:
- Uptown Broadway StarShorethingDined on 9/2/2014A lovely patio, which unfortunately, faces the parking lot. The indoor space is very cool and soho inspired. Dove grey walls with a built in flat black fireplace. White cloth linens gives an "uptown" vibe. Very friendly We each had the sangria, he had red & I had white. It's fruity and delicious. Even tho it was happy hour, we had to pay full price for drinks at the table--so have your drinks at the bar before you eat in the dining room. We shared the steamed clams--a dozen with a sublime garlic sauce. I had the skirt steak with home made chimmichurri sauce. He had hanger steak. great ambience. It cost us $80 with drinks, app, steak dinners and dessert W can't wait to return. It''s so worth the splurge!!!Special Features:
- Fantastic food and nice atmosphereIrishacoVIPDined on 8/30/2014It was our first time dining here. We found it through the trip advisor - we ended up having a really beautiful dinner. Both entrees were delicious and service was super friendly. We sat outside and enjoyed the evening breeze. This restaurant made our favorites list and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceSSFoodDined on 8/28/2014Our server was knowledgeable and fun. He made an excellent portuguese wine suggestion and insisted we get desert. We were skeptical but got it anyway and - wow- he was right. delish! Get the grilled octopus and the lamb chops and any dish with shellfish. All were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loveyDined on 8/27/2014the restaurant was remodeledand was impressive/ outdoor seating was done up nicelt, food was delicious and plentiful. not cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not authenticTooBlueVIPDined on 8/23/2014Stopped in for appetizers and drinks late because not many other places were open. It was busy inside and very noisy. Say outside on the patio which was nice. Service slow and indifferent. Food not great, rather bland and certainly not authentic Portuguese. Even the Spanish potatoes were soggy.
- Mar Belo Long BranchyumfunDined on 8/23/2014What a nice experience. Been dining in Long Branch and surrounding areas for years and didn't know about this find. the ambiance; wait staff; food all great. Will definitely be back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PredurokPridurokDined on 8/22/2014Great food, wonderful staff, very good seafood, port direct from PortugalSpecial Features:
- What a great find!!GinaMVIPDined on 8/22/2014WOW!! I wish we'd gone sooner! From the minute we walked in, we were so well taken care of! The white and red sangrias are delicious, although I preferred the white! Can't imagine drinking anything else when we go back! The four of us split three appetizers, garlic shrimp, grilled octopus and steamed clams, all outstanding. Didn't really need entrees after that! Two of us had seafood paella, one was marinera, the other valenciana. One had Mariscada, with green sauce, and I had the chicken in rice with chorizo. Except for the chicken being very tough and chewy, everything else was excellent! My only suggestion would be to use chicken on the bone so it doesn't get so dried out. Other than that, PERFECTION!! We'll be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mar Belo is fantastic!!Jma12Dined on 8/21/2014The atmosphere was beautiful and very cozy. The service was excellent. The food was so fresh and well presented...and absolutely delicious! The red sangria was the best I'd ever had! Portion sizes for entrees were generous. All in all a fabulous meal!!! We cannot wait to go back! If you want authentic and delicious Portuguese food Mar Belo is the place to go!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeDiggerDined on 8/10/2014Food was fantastic, well prepared and presented. The place was packed for a weekday so the service was off a tad, no worries there. Try this place as you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/10/2014All quite good but service was quite slow. And lots of noise in the room. For a Monday night it was quite full Will be back yet again.
- Neighborhood FindwestvillagefoodieVIPDined on 8/10/2014Not a great location but this doesn't take away how great the restaurant is. The outdoor seating area is nice. I enjoyed my lunch but especially enjoyed desert. Servers were extremely friendly. Overall I had a good experience plus you can go enjoy Long Branch pier after a nice meal.Special Features:
- Delish !!!Hawaiinutz0301Dined on 8/2/2014My seafood Paella was just fantastic .. Appetizers Delish & dessert even better! Great price too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local SpotfandoxVIPDined on 8/2/2014Definitely worth a try. Second time at this restaurant and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CathyDined on 8/2/2014Went with a group of 6, everyone enjoyed their meal very much. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Last minute findLocalGuyDined on 8/1/2014My wife & I decided last minute to go out for dinner on a Friday night. Mar Belo was a great surprise. The food was delicious and the red sangria amazing. What really set this restaurant apart was the service. Our waiter was wonderful & all the table staff were great. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Mar Belo to family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/29/2014Great dining experience. Menu has variety, our selections were outstanding, wait staff is the best team I've ever seen, they are to be commended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- local gemPiccofanDined on 7/29/2014My wife and I went to dinner here with 2 other couples. We found the food to be very good and sell priced. I had a delicious filet as did my friend who suggested I try it. It was cooked as I had requested ( rare ) which is often not the case in many restaurants. All of us enjoyed the food and the beauty of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Mar BeloLexus27Dined on 7/26/2014Excellent... Dinner was delicious. We had the seafood paella and skirt steak. Both were cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soDadwhocooksDined on 7/26/2014Noise level was high. Food was so so, some good , some mediocre. Same with service, water person always attentive but main server not so. Very mixed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Previous reviews were correct!ScottDined on 7/26/2014Food was amazing and at a very reasonable price-point. Service was also perfect. Everything came out in a timely manner, and there was ample time between courses. Waiter was super friendly and really made the entire experience. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2014We have dined several times at Mar Bela and each time the food, service and overall experience has been outstanding. Love this restaurant !Special Features:
- Attentive Staff and Great FoodbigdinnerDined on 7/22/2014The wait staff was very attentive and knowledgable about the specials and the wine list. They were very upbeat and always asked if the food was good of if we needed anything else. A great place to dine and definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Portugese GemFoodiefamilyDined on 7/17/2014We had a wonderful meal with both seafood and meats here, in a setting of low-key elegance. The food was significantly better than even the other fancier shore restaurants. It was skillfully prepared, and beautifully presented. Beautifully seasoned and prepared octopus, the perfect simplicity of grilled sea bass, the fabulously rich pork and clams were all outstanding. Even the simple arroz con pollo our daughter ordered was made extra special with the addition of house-made, deeply smoky, chouriço. Portions were hearty, but not overwhelming, so we had room for appetizer, dinner, and dessert without feeling bloated. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemLouisVIPDined on 7/12/2014A real neighborhood gem. Wonderful, authentic Portugese food. Friendly, helpful, professional service. Nice ambience, good noise level for conversation. Bar area in back looked like a fun place to be. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portuguese CuisineJerseyDined on 7/12/2014Best portugués cuisine in town. Great entrée choices. Management and waiters go out of their way to provide you excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Long Branch PortuguesePGK6392Dined on 6/26/2014Exceptional Portuguese food, polished, professional wait staff, beautiful renovation. All adds up to a near-perfect dining experience. Near perfect because: A) sometimes the food is overly salty and B) the appetizer portions are small relative to their prices. Do not expect the enormous portions you are used to when dining in Portuguese restaurants in Newark's Iron Bound area. That said, what you do get is fresh, high quality, and beautifully plated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 33 reviews are from the Mar Belo reviews archive.