Long Branch, NJ 07740Neighborhood:
PortuguesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://marbelorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7328702222
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30pm - 4:00pm
Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Portuguese
- Executive Chef: Pedro Custodio, Andrew
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Mar Belo
Portugal: Land of Explorers In the 15th Century, Prince Henry the navigator ordered his explorers to bring back to Portugal any exotic fruits, nuts and plants from the new lands. Tomatoes and potatoes are taken to Europe, Brazilian pineapples were introduced to Azores, Brazilian chili peppers grew in Angola, African coffee was transplanted to Brazil. Today the Portuguese fondness for ingredients like cinnamon or curry powder, is also a legacy of his time. The Romans brought wheat and introduced onion, garlic, olives and grapes. Later the Moors were the first to plant rice and introduced figs, planted groves of lemons, oranges and almond trees. Portugal is a seafaring nation with a well-developed fishing industry trading cod since the 15th century. Today, naturally, Portuguese cuisine varies from region to region , but fresh fish and shellfish are found on virtually every menu. BOM APETITE!!!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
Mar Belo - Best Restaurants in Long Branch ›
Mar Belo reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (47)fit for foodies (33)special occasion (29)good for groups (18)great for outdoor dining (17)romantic (15)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (8)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Wonderul ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014I came here for the first time with a group of 8 for our friends 50th birthday. We are a bunch of foodies and very particular. So I was nervous about trying Bar Melo for the first time for such a special occasion. Cristiano put all of these worries at ease. The service was impeccable! The food was amazing. We will be back very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, friendly environment.yakgalVIPDined on 9/13/2014This was our first visit, but we will definitely be back. We visited for an early dinner following an afternoon at nearby Monmouth Park race track. The décor is lovely, cloth napkins, well spaced seating, good lighting. Unfortunately it was not good weather for outside dining. The patio seating looked lovely although it faces the parking lot. All four of us found our meals to be excellently prepared and nicely presented. We sampled the crab cakes, mahi mahi, salt cod & skirt steak. My steak was prepared rare as ordered, with veggies and potatoes, all of which were very flavorful. The salads were definitely large enough to be split, fresh and tasty. The white sangria was an excellent complement to the meal. None of us had room for dessert.Special Features:
- Uptown Broadway StarShorethingDined on 9/2/2014A lovely patio, which unfortunately, faces the parking lot. The indoor space is very cool and soho inspired. Dove grey walls with a built in flat black fireplace. White cloth linens gives an "uptown" vibe. Very friendly We each had the sangria, he had red & I had white. It's fruity and delicious. Even tho it was happy hour, we had to pay full price for drinks at the table--so have your drinks at the bar before you eat in the dining room. We shared the steamed clams--a dozen with a sublime garlic sauce. I had the skirt steak with home made chimmichurri sauce. He had hanger steak. great ambience. It cost us $80 with drinks, app, steak dinners and dessert W can't wait to return. It''s so worth the splurge!!!Special Features:
- Fantastic food and nice atmosphereIrishacoVIPDined on 8/30/2014It was our first time dining here. We found it through the trip advisor - we ended up having a really beautiful dinner. Both entrees were delicious and service was super friendly. We sat outside and enjoyed the evening breeze. This restaurant made our favorites list and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceSSFoodDined on 8/28/2014Our server was knowledgeable and fun. He made an excellent portuguese wine suggestion and insisted we get desert. We were skeptical but got it anyway and - wow- he was right. delish! Get the grilled octopus and the lamb chops and any dish with shellfish. All were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loveyDined on 8/27/2014the restaurant was remodeledand was impressive/ outdoor seating was done up nicelt, food was delicious and plentiful. not cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not authenticTooBlueVIPDined on 8/23/2014Stopped in for appetizers and drinks late because not many other places were open. It was busy inside and very noisy. Say outside on the patio which was nice. Service slow and indifferent. Food not great, rather bland and certainly not authentic Portuguese. Even the Spanish potatoes were soggy.
- Mar Belo Long BranchyumfunDined on 8/23/2014What a nice experience. Been dining in Long Branch and surrounding areas for years and didn't know about this find. the ambiance; wait staff; food all great. Will definitely be back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PredurokPridurokDined on 8/22/2014Great food, wonderful staff, very good seafood, port direct from PortugalSpecial Features:
- What a great find!!GinaMVIPDined on 8/22/2014WOW!! I wish we'd gone sooner! From the minute we walked in, we were so well taken care of! The white and red sangrias are delicious, although I preferred the white! Can't imagine drinking anything else when we go back! The four of us split three appetizers, garlic shrimp, grilled octopus and steamed clams, all outstanding. Didn't really need entrees after that! Two of us had seafood paella, one was marinera, the other valenciana. One had Mariscada, with green sauce, and I had the chicken in rice with chorizo. Except for the chicken being very tough and chewy, everything else was excellent! My only suggestion would be to use chicken on the bone so it doesn't get so dried out. Other than that, PERFECTION!! We'll be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mar Belo is fantastic!!Jma12Dined on 8/21/2014The atmosphere was beautiful and very cozy. The service was excellent. The food was so fresh and well presented...and absolutely delicious! The red sangria was the best I'd ever had! Portion sizes for entrees were generous. All in all a fabulous meal!!! We cannot wait to go back! If you want authentic and delicious Portuguese food Mar Belo is the place to go!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeDiggerDined on 8/10/2014Food was fantastic, well prepared and presented. The place was packed for a weekday so the service was off a tad, no worries there. Try this place as you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/10/2014All quite good but service was quite slow. And lots of noise in the room. For a Monday night it was quite full Will be back yet again.
- Neighborhood FindwestvillagefoodieVIPDined on 8/10/2014Not a great location but this doesn't take away how great the restaurant is. The outdoor seating area is nice. I enjoyed my lunch but especially enjoyed desert. Servers were extremely friendly. Overall I had a good experience plus you can go enjoy Long Branch pier after a nice meal.Special Features:
- Delish !!!Hawaiinutz0301Dined on 8/2/2014My seafood Paella was just fantastic .. Appetizers Delish & dessert even better! Great price too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local SpotfandoxVIPDined on 8/2/2014Definitely worth a try. Second time at this restaurant and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CathyDined on 8/2/2014Went with a group of 6, everyone enjoyed their meal very much. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Last minute findLocalGuyDined on 8/1/2014My wife & I decided last minute to go out for dinner on a Friday night. Mar Belo was a great surprise. The food was delicious and the red sangria amazing. What really set this restaurant apart was the service. Our waiter was wonderful & all the table staff were great. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Mar Belo to family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/29/2014Great dining experience. Menu has variety, our selections were outstanding, wait staff is the best team I've ever seen, they are to be commended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- local gemPiccofanDined on 7/29/2014My wife and I went to dinner here with 2 other couples. We found the food to be very good and sell priced. I had a delicious filet as did my friend who suggested I try it. It was cooked as I had requested ( rare ) which is often not the case in many restaurants. All of us enjoyed the food and the beauty of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Mar BeloLexus27Dined on 7/26/2014Excellent... Dinner was delicious. We had the seafood paella and skirt steak. Both were cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soDadwhocooksDined on 7/26/2014Noise level was high. Food was so so, some good , some mediocre. Same with service, water person always attentive but main server not so. Very mixed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Previous reviews were correct!ScottDined on 7/26/2014Food was amazing and at a very reasonable price-point. Service was also perfect. Everything came out in a timely manner, and there was ample time between courses. Waiter was super friendly and really made the entire experience. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2014We have dined several times at Mar Bela and each time the food, service and overall experience has been outstanding. Love this restaurant !Special Features:
- Attentive Staff and Great FoodbigdinnerDined on 7/22/2014The wait staff was very attentive and knowledgable about the specials and the wine list. They were very upbeat and always asked if the food was good of if we needed anything else. A great place to dine and definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Portugese GemFoodiefamilyDined on 7/17/2014We had a wonderful meal with both seafood and meats here, in a setting of low-key elegance. The food was significantly better than even the other fancier shore restaurants. It was skillfully prepared, and beautifully presented. Beautifully seasoned and prepared octopus, the perfect simplicity of grilled sea bass, the fabulously rich pork and clams were all outstanding. Even the simple arroz con pollo our daughter ordered was made extra special with the addition of house-made, deeply smoky, chouriço. Portions were hearty, but not overwhelming, so we had room for appetizer, dinner, and dessert without feeling bloated. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemLouisVIPDined on 7/12/2014A real neighborhood gem. Wonderful, authentic Portugese food. Friendly, helpful, professional service. Nice ambience, good noise level for conversation. Bar area in back looked like a fun place to be. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portuguese CuisineJerseyDined on 7/12/2014Best portugués cuisine in town. Great entrée choices. Management and waiters go out of their way to provide you excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Long Branch PortuguesePGK6392Dined on 6/26/2014Exceptional Portuguese food, polished, professional wait staff, beautiful renovation. All adds up to a near-perfect dining experience. Near perfect because: A) sometimes the food is overly salty and B) the appetizer portions are small relative to their prices. Do not expect the enormous portions you are used to when dining in Portuguese restaurants in Newark's Iron Bound area. That said, what you do get is fresh, high quality, and beautifully plated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great quality food and great staffJkatz20740Dined on 6/20/2014Went here through a recommendation. Service was excellent. We ordered the garlic shrimp, split a house salad. Entrees were rack of lamb with mint jelly but they also had a great garlic sauce with it. Also got a light tomato broth base with seafood. Both dishes were excellent. House red sangria was on sweeter side but it was very good as well. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Excellentpingman07757VIPDined on 6/20/2014We dined there last Friday and were pleased to see some fine tuning on the menu some new dishes including the grilled shrimp which are an absolutely wonderful. I normally have fish and they had the best Halibut that I have had anywhere recently with fish there are two things freshness and cooking and this was great halibut that was cooked perfectly washed down with some of their Albarino it doesn't get better then this. The service is always great the staff is terrific If you want good food and great people who want you to enjoy yourself this might be the place for you.Special Features:
- Great Local SpotfandoxVIPDined on 6/13/2014A nice find away from the pier in Long Branch. The food was good as well as the service and atmosphere. I would definitely dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OldHomesteadVIPDined on 6/7/2014Food excellent...service started good but then got really bad. A party of 8 sat down next to us and the server completely forgot who we were. It took them 30 minutes to ask if we wanted coffee and they gave us the desert menu.. Very poor service!Special Features:
- Excellent Local DiningRJG1Dined on 6/7/2014I was at this restaurant several times when it was the Pearl of Lisbon. I was glad to see another Portuguese eatery takes its place. We had a reservation for 7PM on a Saturday night and were seated immediately. The service was attentive with a charming, knowledgeable waiter. The food was excellent. We ordered grilled tiger shrimp and ribs that were so tender a knife was not needed to cut them. When we finished our waiter asked if he could serve us a complimentary drink at the bar because the table was needed. That was a very nice touch that I have never had offered anywhere else. We declined, but might not next time. Because Mar Belo is not BYOB, one drink apiece added quite a bit to the tab. But we plan to return.Special Features:
- Great food & dealLivetoeatDined on 5/31/2014We arrived on time for our reservation, highly recommended, for a Friday or Saturday night and were seated promptly. We ordered an appetizer, Shrimp with garlic sauce plus a large pitcher of the white sangria, very good. Our entrees included the NY Strip steak, the Salmon & the Cod fish all were delicious and the pricing was very reasonable, $108.00 for the three of us plus the tip. Me being a big eater could just about finish the cod fish and the same goes for the other two entrees for my wife and friend, we brought home a little less than half of the steak and the salmon our friend could not finish.Special Features:
- DeliciousBriguyDined on 5/29/2014Great service, excellent food, and amazing sangriaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A local gempingman07757VIPDined on 5/25/2014A restaurant is the some of its parts. Food + service + personality and Mar Belo has all of these working very well. Make no mistake its not for everyone. If you don't like good fish or beef and don't like a wine list that is studded with gems under $30 then you won't like this, but if you are looking for those beat a path down to Long Branch just don't make it difficult for me to get a reservation since this is one of my go to placesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 25 reviews are from the Mar Belo reviews archive.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/18/2014the meal was good and the service was great. Enjoyed the ambiance. We suggest you play music more appropriate to a Portuguese ambiancerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner, great servicenoelleDined on 5/17/2014We ate at Mar Belo's on Saturday night. There were six in our party. The food was very good as was the service. I would definitely recommend this restautant.Special Features:
- EnjoyableCathyDined on 5/16/2014Very good experience, food, service and atmosphere were very enjoyable. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.