Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky
4437 California Ave SW
Seattle, WA 98116Neighborhood:
HawaiianPrice: $30 and under
Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maonoseattle.com/
- Phone: (206) 935-1075
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday - Sunday: 9:30am - 3:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Asian, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Mark Fuller
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us for more information at 206.935.1075
- Private Party Contact: Marjorie Chang Fuller 2069351075x
- Cross Street: Genesee Street and Oregon Street
- Public Transit: Bus routes 22, 54 and 55 travel between West Seattle and Downtown Seattle approximately every 15-30 minutes. For specific times call Metro rider information or visit their website.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking along California Avenue SW, Genesee and Oregon Streets. Free West Seattle Junction parking lots located at Oregon Street and 44th Avenue SW and Oregon Street and 42nd Avenue SW.
A word from Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky
Spring Hill Restaurant & Bar is now Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky. Same owner. Same chef. Same location. Same commitment to good food. Just a different approach and a brand new menu. Inspired by Hawaii and perfect for sharing, our new menu encourages you to have a bit more fun with it all. And the best part: our famous fried chicken is now on the menu every night of the week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (76)fit for foodies (70)good for groups (40)hot spot (36)great for brunch (28)special occasion (18)kid-friendly (13)great for lunch (12)romantic (11)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (6)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Holy fried chickenNiuchicagoDined on 11/15/2014First off this place is amazing! Not only is the food great (I'll get to that later) but the space is open and contemporary, making it great for a date night or a fun night out with friends. We reserved a chicken in advance when we made the reservation on OpenTable and I'd highly recommend anyone else does the same because this chicken was UNREAL! It's fried but it's not greasy and the breeding has so much flavor on its own and the chicken is cooler perfectly, super moist and just wow. Everything paired well with each other, even though it doesn't sound like it would on paper-the chili sauce was the perfect spicy and the kimchi was so good too. Our waitress was great and recommended doing the curry and bacon fries rice instead of the white rice that comes with the chicken and that was right up there with the chicken, really great flavors! Overall it was a great night out with an awesome meal and I'd recommended this place to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodpennywise7133Dined on 11/12/2014Everything was great , the menu items were amazing. Have always had a great time at Ma Ono . Great for brunch and dinner . Oh and on the weekends go for the endless mimosas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, made better by serverBoncampDined on 11/8/2014We has been to Ma'ono before and knew it was great food. This time though our server added so much to our meal by making experienced suggestions about combinations of sauces and meats, and how to get the most out of our meal. It really elevated our dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and deliciousFillychezeDined on 11/8/2014My wife and I finally made the trip while on the way to the Museum of flight. What an interesting place. The fried chicken was tasty, as was the sausage gravy and biscuits that came with it. We also really loved the rolls. Our server was tremendous. What a great experience and we look forward to returning one day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicken is a must!mandi4food2013Dined on 11/8/2014Some of the best fried chicken I've ever had (and I know chicken). I highly recommend making a reservation and including your request for either a half or while chicken in the reservation notes. We were seated immediately, ordered coffee and mimosas with some spam masubi to start and BAM! our chicken was there with the appetizer in about 5 minutes. Our server was funny and very accommodating. We were seated next to the kitchen which is the best spot in the house to see how well everything is prepared and how well the staff works together. We will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, fun place for a night outdbwsDined on 11/7/2014Great food. Everything I have had there has been amazing - especially the kimchi and fried chicken. Service is great. Atmosphere is fun. It's also a great value. There were kids there as well which amazed me.Special Features:
- Flavorful FreshnessjavagirlDined on 11/6/2014The food, service, ambiance and facility are very comforting, and enjoyable. Plan to go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-so in the JunctionDougDined on 11/5/2014Shared a whole chicken between 3, added a couple of sides and rolls (which were excellent) and made a nice chatty dinner. The chicken was good but to my taste a bit dry and our sides (peppers and carrots) both unusual and interesting. I (over)payed $10 for a light splash of whiskey and we split 2 desserts 3 ways for dessert. Trendy and fun but not a good value.
- Spectacular!obscruffyDined on 11/4/2014From start to finish, my experience at Ma'ono was excellent. The wait staff was friendly and welcoming, and every bite of food was impressive. The fried chicken lived up to their reputation, and the whiskey drinks were delicious. I have nothing bad to say about my experience; the restaurant is one of the top in West Seattle, and worth the trip if you live anywhere near. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great service but...remjonesDined on 10/31/2014The service was fantastic but the food quality has really gone down. We ordered a 1/2 check and the flavor was missing and it was really dry....disappointing. We've eaten there before and had the chicken and we've always raved about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food creative; drinks ++++, LOUDSCarbeauDined on 10/30/2014We really like Ma'Ono and have since it opened as Spring Hill a few years ago. The food is overall excellent--fried chicken is great, ahi poke was SUPERB, and special drinks are outstanding with cocktails served up with great flair and presentation. One downside is the NOISE, which is at a VERY high level, so beware if you are hoping to have a conversation across the table without shouting at your date/table mate(s)!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ma'ono Great as usualLuvGreatEatsDined on 10/29/2014Had the chicken, with side of Szechuan green beans and a wonderful octopus Poke starter, complimented by a wonderful rose' wine.Special Features:
- Could be 5 stars, but not quite.VolumniaDined on 10/24/2014My party of 5 enjoyed our dinner at Ma'Ono. The food was very good and interesting. The only food complaint we had was that the fried chicken, which apparently is a special item for the restaurant, and advertised, is ordinary. We all agreed that we would return but not order the chicken. Such good and interesting food available so why bother with extremely ordinary chicken.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FOOD!!!JinxsDined on 10/23/2014Szechuan string beans, Kalua pig tacos, Mac N' Kimcheese, Loco Moco, Manapua, Curry and bacon fried rice, Hawaiian Fried chicken, Kalua pig tacos, Spam misubi, Warn Portuguese Sweet rolls and Popcorn ice cream.😁😁😁😀😀😀 It's my first time and it won't be my last. Awesome food, service and did I mention the food was great!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedFoodRulesDined on 10/22/2014Ma'ono came very highly recommended but did not deliver. We ordered both the Restaurant Week special and off the regular menu. Our server was inattentive (I was on entree, after two appetizers, before I could get her attention to order a glass of wine) and did not ever smile. Both entrees were over cooked (duck confit and a buger - ordered medium rare, delivered well done). The burger was ordered with egg, but not prepared with egg. I will not go back and will advise others not to go. Overpriced for, at best, mediocre food.
- High Expectations need Fat WalletPugnaciousVIPDined on 10/19/2014Let's start with the chicken was very good and the serving was plentiful. Now after a month of dreaming, salivating and finally getting to Ma'ono (from Chicago), I can't say the $39 price tag for a whole chicken was actually worth it. My family had really high expectations and I committed to pre-ordering, but ultimately it's just really good chicken and yes it's better than Browns, Popeye's, KFC and some other chains but probably not more than twice the price better! Also had a slice of their quiche which for my taste buds was a bit too fluffy / mushy. However, the ox tail soup was quite tasty for decent meat and seasoning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very yummy breakfast!luv2eatDined on 10/19/2014The French Toast with Fried Chicken Nuggets was very delicious and satisfying. Very friendly and efficient staff. I want to go again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive food, great servicerafaeltcVIPDined on 10/18/2014Overall we were very impressed by the place. We hadn't heard until that day about it and we were looking for a quick dinner before an event. Our expectations for Hawaiian food were not the highest, but we were happily proven wrong. We got the oxtail soup (we ended up calling "oxtail Pho", very similar in preparation), which we both loved and is great for sharing. We also got the kahlua pork tacos, which were phenomenal (the ingredients don't sound like they make sense together, but they do). The prices look a bit high at the beginning, until you realize the portion sizes, and the fact that they're meant to be shared. We are already recruiting friends to get the full fried chicken, which smelled and looked delicious (from other tables).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good BurgerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014We went for the burgers, they did a great job. tasty homemad ketchup
- Fried Chicken done rightTimmdinesDined on 10/11/2014When you say 'fried chicken' people think greasy no-nonsense comfort food. Ma'ono, while comforting, also brings a bit of variety to fried chicken. Featuring a hawaiian take on your standard fried chicken, the bird is moist and distinctive. Pair that with sides you won't find elsewhere (mac with kimchee, roasted hot peppers, curry fried rice) and you're in for a unique treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best fried chicken of my lifejimstoicDined on 10/7/2014We started with a sauteed peppers dish and a dish of pears with frisée and coconut milk. Both were outstanding. We'd reserved half a fried chicken for the two of us, via OpenTable, and they'd set it aside for us. Served with white rice, kimchi, and a sauce, it more than met my high expectations. We ordered two sides: pork fried rice, with big chunks of meat, and sauteed pea vines. Both were fantastic. I kind of doubt it's possible to find anything there that isn't delicious.Special Features:
- Magically DeliciousSeaSmartypantsDined on 10/5/2014We just celebrated my husband's 40th with a fourth visit to Ma'Ono. It has become one of our favorite places in this city, and a place we take visiting friends for a real treat. I don't know how they do what they do to that chicken (I suspect unicorn dust) but it is amazing, and I don't like the overuse of the word amazing. The sesame roasted carrots are my favorite side, followed closely by the Mac Kimcheese. It's a bit of a splurge, but it is worth every single penny. Plus, the service is friendly and welcoming. We are moving out of state and Ma'Ono will be one of the places we will miss the most about dining out in Seattle.Special Features:
- Love that chickenheidijDined on 10/4/2014We had better service this time than on our last two visits, though it still seems to take a long time for cocktails to arrive (at least 10 minutes after our friends received their bottle of wine). The food came out sort of sporadically, but the expediter did a great job - everything was the right temperature when it came to the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodLilyDined on 10/4/2014We booked a table on short notice, so fried chicken wasn't available. However we had whole trout, which was very tasty, served with white rice. We also shared roasted carrots and sautéed pea vines. No time for dessert, so can't comment on their offerings. I had a glass of Japanese scotch which was also delicious although a small pour for $16.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winner, winner chicken dinnerCwarrenDined on 9/30/2014My husband and I live in the neighborhood. I knew my family would love Ma'ono once they started eating. They had lots of questions on the menu and as per usual I reserved a chicken. Because there were six adults we also ordered two soup noodles, pork platter and vegetable sides. The service was polite and efficient, the food was a hit. No one could stop eating and/or remarking on how wonderful everything tasted. Everyone shared and munched and talked and enjoyed. A very successful dinner event.Special Features:
- deliciousseattlecamperVIPDined on 9/28/2014This restaurant is delicious. My wife and I got the fatty saimin and it was so good. One of our friends got the other ramen dish and she said it was super smokey, it didn't mention it would be smokey, and that specific dish normally isn't smokey at other places. She really didn't like it. So, maybe in the future you could mention that on your menu. Overall, we enjoyed the fried chicken, biscuit and gravy, soups, and the bottomless mimosas. I love this restaurant. And I love the fatty saimin. Oh yeah, we also had spam wasubi/masubi? Not sure what the word was, but they were spam/rice/seaweed. I didn't have any but the people that did said it was very good.Special Features:
- Best BrunchDaniRNDined on 9/27/2014omg. All i can do is rave about this place. The food was incredible. Everyone loved what they got. The only thing is the loco moco needed a bit more gravy but the flavors were incredible! The service was great, our server was attentive and our glasses were always full. It was a great way to start our Saturday before a Sounders game. Will for sure be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great valuedbwsDined on 9/5/2014Everything I have ever had here was great. The chicken, the kimchee, the curry fried rice with bacon...everything. It's great since it's a great spot to go out with friends or on a date, the food and ambience works for either, yet it won't cost you a fortune like some places. Also, there were some older kids there - since hey, it's fried chicken - so you could take your kids there if you want. Classic West Seattle spot.Special Features:
- Best fried chicken in stateTamabDined on 8/31/2014Simply put, this is the best fried chicken you may ever taste in your lifetime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food & service but too noisyhoopspaDined on 8/24/2014I had the loco moco which was fantastic. Our server was sweet and attentive. However the acoustics were really bad which made it hard to have a conversation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Didn't think it was worth the hype of the fried chicken. It was ok not great. The restaurant is so loud the waitress can't even hear you unless you're near yelling. Couldn't even hear our guests across the table. No air-conditioning when it's 83 degrees outside is just plain ridiculous. The air was stifling inside.Special Features:
- Taking the bad with the good...DebbieDined on 8/23/2014The food was great, the service was exceptional and informative, the cocktails were fun, & the bourbon/whiskey list extensive. It was also extremely hot (even by the door), & so loud we literally had to shout at each other to be heard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!DeliciousexperienceDined on 8/22/2014We had a delicious dinner at ma'ono. We started off with the padron peppers. They were delicious! For dinner we had the fried chicken, szechuan Green Beans, and sweet rolls. The chicken came with Curry & Bacon Fried Rice and Kimchee. Everything was absolutely perfect and delicious. We can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- Out of Food, Dark, LoudautumnDined on 8/17/2014This was my second time at Ma'Ono and I was pumped to share it with my friends. Unfortunatley, they were out of the fried chicken which we knew about right after setting the reservation but then we had been there for almost 20 minutes before our server informed us that they were also out of all their Saimin dishes. The lights were so low we could barely see the people across the table but yet it was loud at the same time.Special Features:
- Creative, amazing food!GoodtimesDined on 8/16/2014We loved everything about the menu. A fusion of amazing flavors and styles, dinner was unique and memorable. Make sure to preorder your chicken! I'm not typically a fried chicken kinda gal, but this is a must have. The peppers, Szechuan green beans, kimcheesey Mac and cheese... Awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried chicken82muchDined on 8/15/2014Every dish was very good. Good value and a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great whiskey drinksColbusinessDined on 8/14/2014The mixed drinks are superb, it's not the only reason to go there but it certainly makes the trip easier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late night dinnerMaryMDined on 8/6/2014Ma'ono offers delicious good and friendly service AND they offer that at nine pm!! One of the few good eating spots for late dinner after evening golf! Thank you Ma'ono!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried chicken and kimchimountainbedVIPDined on 8/6/2014A killer meal. Delicious fried chicken served with kimchi and curried fried rice! Some nice whiskeys and bourbons and good beers. Friendly service to boot. Don't be discouraged by the location or appearance from the outside…this is a first rate meal in a town chocked full of first rate meals. Well worth the stop on a three night trip to Seattle!Special Features:
- unusual fusion of flavorsvacationersDined on 8/2/2014The menu had changed a bit after i had made the reservation. I was disappointed that the cheesy grits were not there. But I was able to find many dishes (that sounded delicious) to choose from. The fried chicken was delicious but the biscuits and gravy were phenomenal! I had delicious quiche while two of my friends ordered what they referred to as the "mystery bowl." I forgot what the menu named it but it was layered with rice, beef, gravy, Portuguese sausage, and a fried egg and then there were the other "mystery" ingredients.(Not listed on the menu description.) we passed around tastes and discovered it was cheesy grits and marinated cocnut. Everyone had a godd time and really enjoyed the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.