Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky
4437 California Ave SW
Seattle, WA 98116Neighborhood:
HawaiianPrice: $30 and under
Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maonoseattle.com/
- Phone: 2069351075x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday - Sunday: 9:30am - 3:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Asian, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Mark Fuller
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us for more information at 206.935.1075
- Private Party Contact: Marjorie Chang Fuller 2069351075x
- Cross Street: Genesee Street and Oregon Street
- Public Transit: Bus routes 22, 54 and 55 travel between West Seattle and Downtown Seattle approximately every 15-30 minutes. For specific times call Metro rider information or visit their website.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking along California Avenue SW, Genesee and Oregon Streets. Free West Seattle Junction parking lots located at Oregon Street and 44th Avenue SW and Oregon Street and 42nd Avenue SW.
A word from Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky
Spring Hill Restaurant & Bar is now Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky. Same owner. Same chef. Same location. Same commitment to good food. Just a different approach and a brand new menu. Inspired by Hawaii and perfect for sharing, our new menu encourages you to have a bit more fun with it all. And the best part: our famous fried chicken is now on the menu every night of the week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (72)fit for foodies (68)good for groups (37)hot spot (32)great for brunch (28)special occasion (21)kid-friendly (15)vibrant bar scene (13)great for lunch (10)late-night find (7)romantic (7)great for outdoor dining (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- High Expectations need Fat WalletPugnaciousVIPDined on 10/19/2014Let's start with the chicken was very good and the serving was plentiful. Now after a month of dreaming, salivating and finally getting to Ma'ono (from Chicago), I can't say the $39 price tag for a whole chicken was actually worth it. My family had really high expectations and I committed to pre-ordering, but ultimately it's just really good chicken and yes it's better than Browns, Popeye's, KFC and some other chains but probably not more than twice the price better! Also had a slice of their quiche which for my taste buds was a bit too fluffy / mushy. However, the ox tail soup was quite tasty for decent meat and seasoning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very yummy breakfast!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014The French Toast with Fried Chicken Nuggets was very delicious and satisfying. Very friendly and efficient staff. I want to go again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good BurgerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014We went for the burgers, they did a great job. tasty homemad ketchup
- Fried Chicken done rightTimmdinesDined on 10/11/2014When you say 'fried chicken' people think greasy no-nonsense comfort food. Ma'ono, while comforting, also brings a bit of variety to fried chicken. Featuring a hawaiian take on your standard fried chicken, the bird is moist and distinctive. Pair that with sides you won't find elsewhere (mac with kimchee, roasted hot peppers, curry fried rice) and you're in for a unique treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best fried chicken of my lifejimstoicDined on 10/7/2014We started with a sauteed peppers dish and a dish of pears with frisée and coconut milk. Both were outstanding. We'd reserved half a fried chicken for the two of us, via OpenTable, and they'd set it aside for us. Served with white rice, kimchi, and a sauce, it more than met my high expectations. We ordered two sides: pork fried rice, with big chunks of meat, and sauteed pea vines. Both were fantastic. I kind of doubt it's possible to find anything there that isn't delicious.Special Features:
- Magically DeliciousSeaSmartypantsDined on 10/5/2014We just celebrated my husband's 40th with a fourth visit to Ma'Ono. It has become one of our favorite places in this city, and a place we take visiting friends for a real treat. I don't know how they do what they do to that chicken (I suspect unicorn dust) but it is amazing, and I don't like the overuse of the word amazing. The sesame roasted carrots are my favorite side, followed closely by the Mac Kimcheese. It's a bit of a splurge, but it is worth every single penny. Plus, the service is friendly and welcoming. We are moving out of state and Ma'Ono will be one of the places we will miss the most about dining out in Seattle.Special Features:
- Love that chickenheidijDined on 10/4/2014We had better service this time than on our last two visits, though it still seems to take a long time for cocktails to arrive (at least 10 minutes after our friends received their bottle of wine). The food came out sort of sporadically, but the expediter did a great job - everything was the right temperature when it came to the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodLilyDined on 10/4/2014We booked a table on short notice, so fried chicken wasn't available. However we had whole trout, which was very tasty, served with white rice. We also shared roasted carrots and sautéed pea vines. No time for dessert, so can't comment on their offerings. I had a glass of Japanese scotch which was also delicious although a small pour for $16.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winner, winner chicken dinnerCwarrenDined on 9/30/2014My husband and I live in the neighborhood. I knew my family would love Ma'ono once they started eating. They had lots of questions on the menu and as per usual I reserved a chicken. Because there were six adults we also ordered two soup noodles, pork platter and vegetable sides. The service was polite and efficient, the food was a hit. No one could stop eating and/or remarking on how wonderful everything tasted. Everyone shared and munched and talked and enjoyed. A very successful dinner event.Special Features:
- deliciousseattlecamperVIPDined on 9/28/2014This restaurant is delicious. My wife and I got the fatty saimin and it was so good. One of our friends got the other ramen dish and she said it was super smokey, it didn't mention it would be smokey, and that specific dish normally isn't smokey at other places. She really didn't like it. So, maybe in the future you could mention that on your menu. Overall, we enjoyed the fried chicken, biscuit and gravy, soups, and the bottomless mimosas. I love this restaurant. And I love the fatty saimin. Oh yeah, we also had spam wasubi/masubi? Not sure what the word was, but they were spam/rice/seaweed. I didn't have any but the people that did said it was very good.Special Features:
- Best BrunchDaniRNDined on 9/27/2014omg. All i can do is rave about this place. The food was incredible. Everyone loved what they got. The only thing is the loco moco needed a bit more gravy but the flavors were incredible! The service was great, our server was attentive and our glasses were always full. It was a great way to start our Saturday before a Sounders game. Will for sure be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great valuedbwsDined on 9/5/2014Everything I have ever had here was great. The chicken, the kimchee, the curry fried rice with bacon...everything. It's great since it's a great spot to go out with friends or on a date, the food and ambience works for either, yet it won't cost you a fortune like some places. Also, there were some older kids there - since hey, it's fried chicken - so you could take your kids there if you want. Classic West Seattle spot.Special Features:
- Best fried chicken in stateTamabDined on 8/31/2014Simply put, this is the best fried chicken you may ever taste in your lifetime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food & service but too noisyhoopspaDined on 8/24/2014I had the loco moco which was fantastic. Our server was sweet and attentive. However the acoustics were really bad which made it hard to have a conversation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Didn't think it was worth the hype of the fried chicken. It was ok not great. The restaurant is so loud the waitress can't even hear you unless you're near yelling. Couldn't even hear our guests across the table. No air-conditioning when it's 83 degrees outside is just plain ridiculous. The air was stifling inside.Special Features:
- Taking the bad with the good...DebbieDined on 8/23/2014The food was great, the service was exceptional and informative, the cocktails were fun, & the bourbon/whiskey list extensive. It was also extremely hot (even by the door), & so loud we literally had to shout at each other to be heard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!DeliciousexperienceDined on 8/22/2014We had a delicious dinner at ma'ono. We started off with the padron peppers. They were delicious! For dinner we had the fried chicken, szechuan Green Beans, and sweet rolls. The chicken came with Curry & Bacon Fried Rice and Kimchee. Everything was absolutely perfect and delicious. We can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- Out of Food, Dark, LoudautumnDined on 8/17/2014This was my second time at Ma'Ono and I was pumped to share it with my friends. Unfortunatley, they were out of the fried chicken which we knew about right after setting the reservation but then we had been there for almost 20 minutes before our server informed us that they were also out of all their Saimin dishes. The lights were so low we could barely see the people across the table but yet it was loud at the same time.Special Features:
- Creative, amazing food!GoodtimesDined on 8/16/2014We loved everything about the menu. A fusion of amazing flavors and styles, dinner was unique and memorable. Make sure to preorder your chicken! I'm not typically a fried chicken kinda gal, but this is a must have. The peppers, Szechuan green beans, kimcheesey Mac and cheese... Awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried chicken82muchDined on 8/15/2014Every dish was very good. Good value and a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great whiskey drinksColbusinessDined on 8/14/2014The mixed drinks are superb, it's not the only reason to go there but it certainly makes the trip easier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late night dinnerMaryMDined on 8/6/2014Ma'ono offers delicious good and friendly service AND they offer that at nine pm!! One of the few good eating spots for late dinner after evening golf! Thank you Ma'ono!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried chicken and kimchimountainbedVIPDined on 8/6/2014A killer meal. Delicious fried chicken served with kimchi and curried fried rice! Some nice whiskeys and bourbons and good beers. Friendly service to boot. Don't be discouraged by the location or appearance from the outside…this is a first rate meal in a town chocked full of first rate meals. Well worth the stop on a three night trip to Seattle!Special Features:
- unusual fusion of flavorsvacationersDined on 8/2/2014The menu had changed a bit after i had made the reservation. I was disappointed that the cheesy grits were not there. But I was able to find many dishes (that sounded delicious) to choose from. The fried chicken was delicious but the biscuits and gravy were phenomenal! I had delicious quiche while two of my friends ordered what they referred to as the "mystery bowl." I forgot what the menu named it but it was layered with rice, beef, gravy, Portuguese sausage, and a fried egg and then there were the other "mystery" ingredients.(Not listed on the menu description.) we passed around tastes and discovered it was cheesy grits and marinated cocnut. Everyone had a godd time and really enjoyed the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ma'Ono is a gem!LottePDined on 8/1/2014We absolutely love Ma'Ono! We have friends who come in from London and demand we go here! It's a MUST on everyone's eat list! And the fried chicken dinner is a must as well. And the popcorn ice cream. And...and...and....so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the Best Chicken in SeattleberrydelightsDined on 7/31/2014Came here for my birthday for an evening of indulgence (and gluttony) and it was simply outstanding. You can never go wrong with the fried chicken (best in Seattle) and don't sleep on the hamburgers. You'll find yourself licking your fingers quite a bit but luckily the good folks at Ma'ono are right along with hot towels to get you cleaned up. Not only that, its in a very cool scene in West Seattle. So all in all, one of my favorite spots.Special Features:
- love itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014Food was awesome. we tried a few pupu's and the fire roasted favas were a big hit. the server recommended a bourbon and fever tree ginger ale drink that hit the spot.Special Features:
- Love the food, but...heidijDined on 7/26/2014We come to Ma'Ono about once a month and the food is always great. The service this time was disappointing. We had a later reservation and the restaurant was not busy, but our waiter disappeared after greeting us. When he did come back to take our drink order, he also took the drink order for the larger party next to us, who had just been seated. From the time we arrived until he served our drinks was almost 25 minutes. The food arrived in a timely fashion, but our waiter disappeared again, leaving us waiting with questions about the bill (we gave him our credit cards and asked to split the check, and he left the wrong tab with our credit card slips afterwards).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceHunterHawaiiDined on 7/26/2014Very pleased for group of 6 including 2 kids. Server Chad was great!Special Features:
- Not worth all the hypedinerchickDined on 7/24/2014When you can get a better burger at Dick's for a fifth of the price and chicken that is moist, juicy and delicious from the Colonel, there is no need to dine here. Have West Seattleites gone mad thinking this is worth $4 a piece or worth making reservations to hold? The room was so loud you couldn't even hear the person next to you and when the server asked us if we wanted change on our check we knew we had picked the wrong restaurant. The owners did try to make it right by refunding us our $$ for the horrible meal, but when you're celebrating someone's birthday, the day is kind of ruined.
- Great Brunch!KidarDined on 7/19/2014This was my second time here (first for brunch). Brunch was fantastic. Loved the food and the bottomless Mimosas made it a fun start to the day for everyone. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Busy NightWallasweetVIPDined on 7/12/2014We happened to pick the night of the West Seattle Street Fair with hundreds of people in the street and bands playing right in front of the restaurant. So it was extremely busy and loud. The food was quite tasty and the friend chicken was delicious and crispy. The drinks were good and interesting. The booth seating was a little uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectJosephDined on 7/6/2014Took my out of tower guests in including their 18 month old. Service was great and food was awesome as always.Special Features:
- out of chicken!EmilyDined on 7/3/2014beware! they were out of chicken at 8pm on a FRIDAY! we were shocked and disappointed. Order in advance if you are going specifically for the fried chicken. I will say that our experience was redeemed by what was quite possibly the best burger I have ever tasted. well done ma'ono.Special Features:
- Over RatedBillSeattleVIPDined on 7/2/2014Went for the fried chicken, over breaded, over cooked, not great. Interesting menu but mostly Hawaiian food that you can find elsewhere for less. Spam Musabi for $8 is ridiculous. Tried it, won't be back.Special Features:
- Saturday Dinner w/FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2014A group of seven of us came in for dinner Saturday 01/28. I was the only one who'd been in to Ma'ono and I've been talking it up. The food and service did not disappoint and everyone had a really good time. We ordered a bunch of pupus + the fried chicken. We especially loved the Spam Musubi, Kalua Pig Tacos, Shoyu Tombo Poke and of course the fried chicken. Sorry, I didn't catch our servers' name but he had dark hair and a full beard. He was great, very knowledgeable of the menu and made helpful suggestions. He had a good sense of humor and seemed to have fun with our somewhat boisterous group. Thanks Ma'ono, we'll be back!Special Features:
- Reasonably priced interesting foodBonbonDined on 6/27/2014Had delicious nectarine, cheese, macadamia salad, and the whole trout and I'd do it again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty, salty, salty!Liv4foodDined on 6/26/2014Fried chicken was super salty. Saimin was super salty and "Mac and kimcheese" had no kimchee flavor. Side of kimchee was bad too (not pickled). The name should be Ma'NoNo not Ma'Ono!
- Fantastic food but really need ACSdutchVIPDined on 6/25/2014Had a wonderful meal - food was fantastic - but it was hard to enjoy it in a baking hot restaurant, even though it was only 70 degrees outside. Really want to go back, but might need to wait until winter since it unfortunately made us want to rush out (and obviously we weren't alone with that, looking at the larger crowd).
- The following 878 reviews are from the Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky reviews archive.
- Fabulous BrunchWSFoodieDined on 6/22/2014Food was delicious - absolutely amazing! Bottomless mimosas were good and kept on coming the entire time we were there. Service was great for our large group. We will definitely be coming back. It was a bit loud when we were there, but I think that was due to two large groups being right next to each other and not sure if it is always that way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.