Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky
4437 California Ave SW
Seattle, WA 98116Neighborhood:
HawaiianPrice: $30 and under
Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maonoseattle.com/
- Phone: 2069351075x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday - Sunday: 9:30am - 3:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Asian, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Mark Fuller
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us for more information at 206.935.1075
- Private Party Contact: Marjorie Chang Fuller 2069351075x
- Cross Street: Genesee Street and Oregon Street
- Public Transit: Bus routes 22, 54 and 55 travel between West Seattle and Downtown Seattle approximately every 15-30 minutes. For specific times call Metro rider information or visit their website.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking along California Avenue SW, Genesee and Oregon Streets. Free West Seattle Junction parking lots located at Oregon Street and 44th Avenue SW and Oregon Street and 42nd Avenue SW.
A word from Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky
Spring Hill Restaurant & Bar is now Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky. Same owner. Same chef. Same location. Same commitment to good food. Just a different approach and a brand new menu. Inspired by Hawaii and perfect for sharing, our new menu encourages you to have a bit more fun with it all. And the best part: our famous fried chicken is now on the menu every night of the week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ma'ono Fried Chicken & Whisky reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (75)fit for foodies (69)great for brunch (33)good for groups (30)special occasion (25)hot spot (25)kid-friendly (24)vibrant bar scene (14)great for lunch (14)late-night find (8)romantic (7)notable wine list (5)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- great food & service but too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014I had the loco moco which was fantastic. Our server was sweet and attentive. However the acoustics were really bad which made it hard to have a conversation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Didn't think it was worth the hype of the fried chicken. It was ok not great. The restaurant is so loud the waitress can't even hear you unless you're near yelling. Couldn't even hear our guests across the table. No air-conditioning when it's 83 degrees outside is just plain ridiculous. The air was stifling inside.Special Features:
- Taking the bad with the good...DebbieDined on 8/23/2014The food was great, the service was exceptional and informative, the cocktails were fun, & the bourbon/whiskey list extensive. It was also extremely hot (even by the door), & so loud we literally had to shout at each other to be heard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!DeliciousexperienceDined on 8/22/2014We had a delicious dinner at ma'ono. We started off with the padron peppers. They were delicious! For dinner we had the fried chicken, szechuan Green Beans, and sweet rolls. The chicken came with Curry & Bacon Fried Rice and Kimchee. Everything was absolutely perfect and delicious. We can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- Out of Food, Dark, LoudautumnDined on 8/17/2014This was my second time at Ma'Ono and I was pumped to share it with my friends. Unfortunatley, they were out of the fried chicken which we knew about right after setting the reservation but then we had been there for almost 20 minutes before our server informed us that they were also out of all their Saimin dishes. The lights were so low we could barely see the people across the table but yet it was loud at the same time.Special Features:
- Creative, amazing food!GoodtimesDined on 8/16/2014We loved everything about the menu. A fusion of amazing flavors and styles, dinner was unique and memorable. Make sure to preorder your chicken! I'm not typically a fried chicken kinda gal, but this is a must have. The peppers, Szechuan green beans, kimcheesey Mac and cheese... Awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried chicken82muchDined on 8/15/2014Every dish was very good. Good value and a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great whiskey drinksColbusinessDined on 8/14/2014The mixed drinks are superb, it's not the only reason to go there but it certainly makes the trip easier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late night dinnerMaryMDined on 8/6/2014Ma'ono offers delicious good and friendly service AND they offer that at nine pm!! One of the few good eating spots for late dinner after evening golf! Thank you Ma'ono!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unusual fusion of flavorsvacationersDined on 8/2/2014The menu had changed a bit after i had made the reservation. I was disappointed that the cheesy grits were not there. But I was able to find many dishes (that sounded delicious) to choose from. The fried chicken was delicious but the biscuits and gravy were phenomenal! I had delicious quiche while two of my friends ordered what they referred to as the "mystery bowl." I forgot what the menu named it but it was layered with rice, beef, gravy, Portuguese sausage, and a fried egg and then there were the other "mystery" ingredients.(Not listed on the menu description.) we passed around tastes and discovered it was cheesy grits and marinated cocnut. Everyone had a godd time and really enjoyed the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ma'Ono is a gem!LottePDined on 8/1/2014We absolutely love Ma'Ono! We have friends who come in from London and demand we go here! It's a MUST on everyone's eat list! And the fried chicken dinner is a must as well. And the popcorn ice cream. And...and...and....so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the Best Chicken in SeattleberrydelightsDined on 7/31/2014Came here for my birthday for an evening of indulgence (and gluttony) and it was simply outstanding. You can never go wrong with the fried chicken (best in Seattle) and don't sleep on the hamburgers. You'll find yourself licking your fingers quite a bit but luckily the good folks at Ma'ono are right along with hot towels to get you cleaned up. Not only that, its in a very cool scene in West Seattle. So all in all, one of my favorite spots.Special Features:
- love itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014Food was awesome. we tried a few pupu's and the fire roasted favas were a big hit. the server recommended a bourbon and fever tree ginger ale drink that hit the spot.Special Features:
- Love the food, but...heidijDined on 7/26/2014We come to Ma'Ono about once a month and the food is always great. The service this time was disappointing. We had a later reservation and the restaurant was not busy, but our waiter disappeared after greeting us. When he did come back to take our drink order, he also took the drink order for the larger party next to us, who had just been seated. From the time we arrived until he served our drinks was almost 25 minutes. The food arrived in a timely fashion, but our waiter disappeared again, leaving us waiting with questions about the bill (we gave him our credit cards and asked to split the check, and he left the wrong tab with our credit card slips afterwards).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceHunterHawaiiDined on 7/26/2014Very pleased for group of 6 including 2 kids. Server Chad was great!Special Features:
- Not worth all the hypedinerchickDined on 7/24/2014When you can get a better burger at Dick's for a fifth of the price and chicken that is moist, juicy and delicious from the Colonel, there is no need to dine here. Have West Seattleites gone mad thinking this is worth $4 a piece or worth making reservations to hold? The room was so loud you couldn't even hear the person next to you and when the server asked us if we wanted change on our check we knew we had picked the wrong restaurant. The owners did try to make it right by refunding us our $$ for the horrible meal, but when you're celebrating someone's birthday, the day is kind of ruined.
- Great Brunch!KidarDined on 7/19/2014This was my second time here (first for brunch). Brunch was fantastic. Loved the food and the bottomless Mimosas made it a fun start to the day for everyone. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Busy NightWallasweetVIPDined on 7/12/2014We happened to pick the night of the West Seattle Street Fair with hundreds of people in the street and bands playing right in front of the restaurant. So it was extremely busy and loud. The food was quite tasty and the friend chicken was delicious and crispy. The drinks were good and interesting. The booth seating was a little uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectJosephDined on 7/6/2014Took my out of tower guests in including their 18 month old. Service was great and food was awesome as always.Special Features:
- out of chicken!EmilyDined on 7/3/2014beware! they were out of chicken at 8pm on a FRIDAY! we were shocked and disappointed. Order in advance if you are going specifically for the fried chicken. I will say that our experience was redeemed by what was quite possibly the best burger I have ever tasted. well done ma'ono.Special Features:
- Over RatedBillSeattleVIPDined on 7/2/2014Went for the fried chicken, over breaded, over cooked, not great. Interesting menu but mostly Hawaiian food that you can find elsewhere for less. Spam Musabi for $8 is ridiculous. Tried it, won't be back.Special Features:
- Saturday Dinner w/FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2014A group of seven of us came in for dinner Saturday 01/28. I was the only one who'd been in to Ma'ono and I've been talking it up. The food and service did not disappoint and everyone had a really good time. We ordered a bunch of pupus + the fried chicken. We especially loved the Spam Musubi, Kalua Pig Tacos, Shoyu Tombo Poke and of course the fried chicken. Sorry, I didn't catch our servers' name but he had dark hair and a full beard. He was great, very knowledgeable of the menu and made helpful suggestions. He had a good sense of humor and seemed to have fun with our somewhat boisterous group. Thanks Ma'ono, we'll be back!Special Features:
- Reasonably priced interesting foodBonbonDined on 6/27/2014Had delicious nectarine, cheese, macadamia salad, and the whole trout and I'd do it again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty, salty, salty!Liv4foodDined on 6/26/2014Fried chicken was super salty. Saimin was super salty and "Mac and kimcheese" had no kimchee flavor. Side of kimchee was bad too (not pickled). The name should be Ma'NoNo not Ma'Ono!
- Fantastic food but really need ACSdutchVIPDined on 6/25/2014Had a wonderful meal - food was fantastic - but it was hard to enjoy it in a baking hot restaurant, even though it was only 70 degrees outside. Really want to go back, but might need to wait until winter since it unfortunately made us want to rush out (and obviously we weren't alone with that, looking at the larger crowd).
- Fabulous BrunchWSFoodieDined on 6/22/2014Food was delicious - absolutely amazing! Bottomless mimosas were good and kept on coming the entire time we were there. Service was great for our large group. We will definitely be coming back. It was a bit loud when we were there, but I think that was due to two large groups being right next to each other and not sure if it is always that way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good potentialMattiVIPDined on 6/21/2014Place has excellent potential and a great cocktail list. The drinks were amazing and the food tasty, but very heavily salted (and I like salt). At first we thought it was a fluke (someone got a little heavy handed and Oops! it's hard to go back). But it was not just one or two dishes, but every. single. one. And by the time we noticed, we were really hungry and didn't want to complain and wait for another order, which I'm sure would have been provided, as the service was great. I hope to go back so that I can remember more about the food than the sodium level.Special Features:
- Great findKenaiDined on 6/15/2014I reserved a table for Fathers Day and received a call that day to let me know that fried chicken orders were low and given the option to order ahead of time, I'm so glad I did, the fried chicken was fantastic. We also tried the edamame, spam musubi and kahlua pork tacos. Everything was delicious, my stepson is sold on spam musubi, loved the pickled plum added in. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Delicious fried chickenFromNewOrleansDined on 6/6/2014Two of us split a whole chicken and an order of roasted carrots, with drinks (one of us had a cocktail and a beer, the other, two neat whiskies). Service was very attentive and much faster than we expected. The drinks were delicious. The chicken was outstanding, but the sides that accompany it at night (white rice with a little of what I think was green tea on top and a pot of kimchee) did not work for me. The carrots, however, were outstanding. And if you get the chicken at brunch, it comes with a buscuit and a side of gravy - and that makes the chicken even better, so from now on I am coming here for brunch rather than dinner. The meal was about $100 plus tip, but there was enough chicken that we had it for dinner the next night , too.Special Features:
- No overrated!want2luvitbutcannotDined on 6/6/2014We had a reservation for 5 and they jammed us into a book for 4 plus added a chair that was in the way of everyone - there was NO room for food! The whiskey drinks must have been made for juveniles as there was absolutely NO flavor on the 5 different drinks we ordered. Chicken was okay, but don't understand the hype. Loco Moco was a mishmash of foods that didn't taste good together. The fatty saimin was okay, nothing special. One in our party did order the burger and she said it was good, so kudos there. The heat was stifling in the restaurant! 4 of the 5 of us are from O'ahu and this food never came close to even the worst Hawaiian meal we had there. We'd go somewhere else next time.
- Food ok, service poorKianiDPOVIPDined on 6/1/2014Service started out friendly but slow. Ordered a glass of wine that didn't come until after we were done with the pupus - and the place wasn't even busy. Then as the meal progressed, our waiter's personality changed from pleasant and helpful, to silent and rude! We were perplexed with the sudden change in mood, we're certain it wasn't anything we did or said, it was quite weird! Anyway, had the fried chicken, moist and crispy; broccoli was good; but overall, like a few of the other reviewers, nothing to get real excited about. We had to ask for a box to pack the leftovers, then had to ask for our check and when the waiter brought it, he just threw it on our table without even a thank you!
- Delicious as usual!KapnKzDined on 5/31/2014We have enjoyed every meal we've had at Ma'ono and this last visit was no different. The service was great this visit too.Special Features:
- Great dinnerJMarieDined on 5/30/2014The fried chicken is amazing! And lots of other unique yummy sides as well (we loved the spicy green beans).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Requested dinner by son...NoMildewBehindTheEarsDined on 5/26/2014Our son requested dining at Ma'ono as he loved it from his first visit to it back last December. The chicken is excellent, both traditional and GF versions. Loved the kimchi and pickles, nice compliment to the protein. We are also fans of the Masubi and Pork Cracklings. Will be heading back again, and again (although I do miss Spring Hill - that food was amazing in its own right).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ObsessedMichelleyDined on 5/25/2014Thankful for such a fun restaurant with great food and even greater service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet and Spicy!CerysDined on 5/24/2014There is no shortage of great spots to eat in Seattle, and there is no shortage of great brunch spots amongst them. Don't deny yourself the chance to dine at Ma'ono--and do so at the weekend. My server, Edward, was right when he said that choosing food at this place is difficult, as everything on the menu sounds superb. Having been here before, I knew he wasn't kidding, and I really did have my heart set on trying something I hadn't ever had: the quiche maybe, or the French toast (with its grilled pineapple). Instead, I opted for my favourite, Loco Moco, because Ma'ono's is spicier than others and because I knew I would pair it with the sweetness of the Portuguese rolls. Oh, my, what a fabulous meal--and the only one I needed that day!Special Features:
- Very goodDateNiteDined on 5/23/2014Food was excellent as always. Love the chicken, kimchi and whiskey menu.Special Features:
- Yumadoo!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014Wow...more than whisky and chicken (but those were both great too!) From the excellent service (thanks Chad!) to the incredible array of flavors on the table, this little spot really knows how to do it. Our first visit was for a full dinner with friends...our next will be soon, and might just be a nice casual afternoon drink with some pupus. Ma'ono seems suited to cater to everything from brunch to a late night snack.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Anniversary!HungryJackDined on 5/23/2014Wow, Awesome Menu, start out with the Portuguese Sausage, then from the Grill dive into a Ma'ono Beef Burger (Medium Rare). The Fries are to die for, perfect with the home made ketchup. The Cider is great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu Did Say Kimchi on the Menu...Pan2FVIPDined on 5/18/2014so if you like it, it might be good. I've avoided this pickled fermented cabbage food and will continue to do so, the smell alone, so what was nice when my order came with Kimchi it was in a jar so I just kept it closed. The 1/2 crispy chicken was extra fried, it was Ok, not real juicy and too much layer of crust for me. I loved the ambiance, very casual but trendy. Service was great also!Special Features: