Manuel's Great Hills
10201 Jollyville Road
Austin, TX 78759Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Manuel's Great Hills
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.manuels.com/
- Phone: (512) 345-1042
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 2:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 2:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Manuel's Great Hills
Serving Austin’s best Margaritas, delicious homemade salsas, and the freshest seafood and savory meats.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Manuel's Great Hills reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (13)neighborhood gem (11)fit for foodies (10)good for groups (10)great for lunch (6)romantic (5)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)special occasion (3)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Great visitCASEYDined on 11/7/2014Food was very good. Service was great. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodJoleenDined on 11/1/2014We ate there Saturday evening around 5:45pm. By 6:30pm the house was a rockin' with lots of families. Since we typically don't eat that early, I'm guessing this is a normal family first wave before the 7-8pm crowd starts showing. Food was wonderful - fresh ceviche, tasty margs (not too sweet), enchiladas suizas and Chile Relleno En Nogada were wonderful.Special Features:
- Great Drinks & RellenosHaveGutWillTravelVIPDined on 10/30/2014Had the Chile Relleno del Mar...wonderful! Service was very good.Special Features:
- Great place for meeting friendseatsDined on 10/28/2014Manuel's is my favorite go to place. The outside patio is great. Give it a try if you have notSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $$ for mediocre food; ok for drinksluv2dineVIPDined on 10/17/2014I'd recommend this place for drinks and apps but that's about it. Prices are high for food that lacks flavor. Service is good.
- MehMaxine150Dined on 10/11/2014I've had better. It's close to the theatre, so it's got that. But the prices were high and I wasn't left thinking I have to go back.
- Good drinks, foodComfortVIPDined on 10/3/2014Drinks are very good. Food is good. Mole is excellent. Service was a bit tentative this time, but that isn't my normal experience there - it's usually very knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Always a great happy hourspasbVIPDined on 10/3/2014Came for happy hour and sat outside. Beautiful day so it was VERY busy. Service was a little slow but understandable considering the crowd. The nachos are great, quesadillas (chicken) super, and guacamole very good. Although I think you used to get more than 4 quesadillas on the happy hour menu.... Too bad they have one of the shortest happy hours in town, ending at 6 pm. But the food and margs are good and the patio very nice, so if you can make it early, check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Food was delicious and the atmosphere was excellent. The service could have been a little better.Special Features:
- First time visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Five adults were in our party and we enjoyed the food very much. It will be one of our favorite restaurants to visit. We have only lived in the Leander area a year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food!JustinWDined on 9/10/2014Warning, the food was so good that I overate. The specialty drinks are very good too.Special Features:
- Food was great but...ReggieDined on 9/2/2014Service was terrible for a party of two. The place was 80% empty but it took forever to receive our soup and salsa/chips. By the time the soup was served (no spoon given to eat it with), they simoultaneously brought the entree and the chips and salsa. We couldn't eat all 3 at once so it was problematic that they weren't served in order. The original waitress finally returned after all the food was brought very late (20 min for an empty restaurant) to apologize for being late.Special Features:
- Excellent experienceFoodforallDined on 8/30/2014All around a perfect dinner experience. The food was amazing, starting from presentation to each bite. Loved that fresh ingredients are used. Drink were great as well! So happy to have finally found a great place for dinner in North Austin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 176 reviews are from the Manuel's Great Hills reviews archive.
- Fabulous authentic Mexican foodHowdyyinzVIPDined on 7/7/2014The outdoor space is so beautiful that we decided to dine outside despite the heat. Our dinner was delightful. I'm still dreaming about the flavors of the Campechana!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite!TwoboysmommaDined on 7/3/2014Manuel's great hills is still my favorite after discovering it many years ago!! Delicious!! It is the BEST Mexican restaurant I've been to outside of Mexico. Not tex-mex, which has its merits at times, but authentic well-prepared Mexican cooking. It's one of those gems I want to praise but also want to keep a secret so I can always get a table when in town!! And I highly recommend the enchiladas de jaiba! One verde and one suiza. Perfection!! I could go on and on. Just wish I lived closer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PatioPattiVIPDined on 6/28/2014Had a great time at Manuel's on Saturday night, fajita's as always were great and you can't beat the Patio. It was a great evening to be outside and the Patio is one of the best in Austin.Special Features:
- ARW 2014ChristinaDined on 5/21/2014Went here with a group of friends during Austin Restaurant Week. Two of us got their early and were seated, and our drink orders taken. The other two arrived shortly after, but it took at least 15 minutes for us to get our drinks and for the other two to be asked for their drink order. The wait staff seemed overwhelmed, and it took another 15 minutes or so before the waiter came back to see if we were ready to order. Once our food orders were placed, the time to get the food was much quicker. The house margaritas were good, and the food we had (lomo de puerco, chicken tostadas, flan) was also great. The outdoor patio was comfortable and a nice setting. I had a better overall experience with the food and service previously, and will be back.Special Features:
- solid dependable eateryFoodieX4VIPDined on 4/4/2014Been here many, many times. Always good service, good food, good drinks. family favorite. Dining area roomy, outside patio is lovely to sit and chill over drinks and food. The black bean nachos is delicious! As are the spinach enchiladas. They have a good variety of tequila choices for slow sipping and enjoying. Worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoy going to Manuels,PattiVIPDined on 3/29/2014Always enjoy going to Manuels, faita's were outstanding and took the rest home for migas in the morning. The evening was nice so we sat outside, they have a great Patio and received good service even though there was a large party next to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/28/2014I really like this restaurant, the food has been really good all the times I have been there.Special Features:
- Loud and underratedHighwaterCowboyDined on 3/28/2014First, I viewed an online menu and knew what I wanted to order before I arrived, only to discover it was no longer on the menu. Second, the noise level was so loud I could not hear the waiter and I don't think he could understand me as he brought the wrong drink. We dined inside. Big mistake. I'll never go to this restaurant again for this reason alone. Margaritas served in a martini glass? Really? Luckily I could use the water glass straw. As for the food, the presentation just didn't warrant the price that was paid. It was edible but it wasn't all that and a bag of chips. White rice? Really? I thought the entrees were overpriced.
- Not good. Poor value.imachefDined on 3/28/2014There are certain folks for whom real Mexican food is scary. It seems too spicy and exotic. They like the idea of sophisticated Mexican food and their class pride (Manuel's is not for poor people) prevents them from stooping to the level of Chuy's or Baby A's, but they aren't ready to handle real Mexican flavor at a place like Fonda San Miguel. These folks need something that looks sophisticated, charges fancy restaurant prices, but tastes like Chi Chi's/Chuy's/Baby A's. Manuel's is for them, and they are for Manuel's. Note - Had the food been good, I wouldn't mind $19 for a chicken entree (one of the cheaper entrees here).
- A go-to pacespasbVIPDined on 3/18/2014This is a great place to go before or after movies at the Arbor!! We went for happy hour and had 1/2 price appetizers. Queso is yummy. Little "potato pancakes" quite good, something a little different from the usual nachos, etc. Margaritas are good, service is always great, and they have recently remodeled so the inside is much more pleasing to the eye. Have been there for more than apps too and food is always delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd time was not a charmBillDined on 3/15/2014Had a 7 pm reservation and the place was super busy as usual. Seated promptly and ordered drinks & the guacamole. we ordered chicken tortilla and the three chiles soup. Asked that the main course come out after we finished the appetizer/soup. Within a couple of minutes of the soup's arrival, we got the main course. They were trying to turn the table and just rushed us. It's a shame but not going back. If you don't want two people occupying a four person table, don't sit us there!Special Features:
- Two Visits in Two WeeksCanadiannaDined on 3/9/2014We chose Manuel's the first time from a list on Yelp. We were very happy with the results! We were there for an early dinner, and noticed their great Happy Hour and tasty drinks! The second time we chose Manuel's for brunch with friends, and again, we were not disappointed! Wonderful choices on the menu and they were delicious. The live music was great too! Fantastic musicians! I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014..but a little noisy at rush hour. I would suggest a reservation as it was quite busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoritePattiVIPDined on 3/7/2014Manuel's is always consistant and good. Great fajitas. The newly remodeled atmosphere is very nice. Can't wait for summer to sit on the patio.Special Features:
- Good food... Not so good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2014While our group enjoyed the food, the waiter seemed more interested in getting us out the door and never really asked if we needed anything.He didn't ask if we wanted another margarita, instead just took the glasses away and after sitting there a while, eventually brought the check. I would normally recommend this place to a friend for the food, but wouldn't want them to get the same service we received.Special Features:
- Made our reservations earlyNathanSandyDined on 2/14/2014Made our reservations early for Valentine's Day. They called us the day before to confirm, and suggested that we arrive a few minutes early. We did so, and our table was ready when we arrived. The prix fixe menu had enough variety to meet both our tastes, and the Pink Chihuahua drink was both festive and potent. (Plus it included a donation to one of our favorite charities, the Austin Humane Society.) We really enjoyed our romantic evening, with attentive service and just the right amount of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceJudyDined on 2/14/2014We had an awesome waiter. He started out sort of cool but as soon as we actually ordered, he became very friendly and smiled a lot. And then one of the managers that watches over the room came over as soon as we started to look around when finished. We were done with our meal and wanted our ticket but really not in a hurry. He immediately saw we wanted something. Very nice!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FavoritePattiVIPDined on 1/17/2014This restaurant has been a favorite for years. We love the outdoor patio and they recently remodeled giving more seating, The beef faitas are great.Special Features:
- Pretty good.CygnusDined on 1/14/2014I personally found it too salty and the mole to be too dry. It was good quality food, and the service was pleasant but it was just not to my taste. Others in my party seemed very pleased with it.
- Excellent as usual!TimLDined on 1/8/2014I am always happy with the food and service at Manuel's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 1/3/2014Nice dining atmosphere but some of the tables are crowded together and you don't get much privacy from neighboring tables. The food was pretty good, service a bit slow, perhaps due to 7pm Friday rush. Our group described the food as pretty good, kinda so-so, but we would give it another try on a future visit to Austin.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go-To MexicanAVAustxDined on 12/8/2013This is our spot to introduce out-of-towners to good Mexican food - the menu has just enough variety of authentic dishes, they are well prepared and presented. Reliably good, we always have a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable but a bit expensiveSunglassesQueenDined on 11/30/2013We were surprised to find they had remodeled since the last time we were there, which has been quite awhile, and the prices seemed to have increased as well. One of our favorites, Enchiladas Jaiba Suizas, (Crab Enchiladas) is now $28, which may or may not be worth it. Margaritas are still good, the service is great as usual and it's so convenient to Regal Cinema, where they show some great arthouse movies. Acoustics might be a bit distracting if you're looking for a quiet place for dinner or lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodPartyOf4Dined on 10/20/2013You can't go wrong with Manuel's - either location. I've been eating there for years and it never fails to please. My favorite dish is the Crab Nachos. Try them at Happy Hour for half price!Special Features:
- food was good, quieter outsideJRL4Dined on 10/18/2013food was good, quieter outside for conversation...although acorns were hitting us and our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehMissingTexmexDined on 10/4/2013Manuel's was loud and the food was mediocre. We are still looking for the first good Texmex experience in Austin.
- Great food!BadMuthaDined on 8/14/2013This was my first trip to the restaurant after a friend recommended it. I had the Tacos de Pescado. Usually, I expect to find a couple small nuggets of fish with lots of lettuce rolled in a tortilla, but these tacos were full of well flavored white fish. It actually filled me up! I didn't care for the chips and salsa really, but the queso was real cheese, which you don't see at most Mexican restaurants. Overall, a good experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.