310 Congress Avenue
Austin, TX 78701Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://manuels.com/
- Phone: 5124727555x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Daily: Sun-Thurs 11am-10pm, Fri-Sat 11am-11pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Chef Juan Jose Gomez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Manuel's Downtown
Serving Austin’s best Margaritas, delicious homemade salsas, and the freshest seafood and savory meats. We serve high-quality food, prepared with the finest local and natural ingredients.Continued
*All Meats served at Manuel's is hormone free!
*Any fried items and salsa dressings are made with Canola and virgin Olive oil.
*All Meats served at Manuel's is hormone free!
*Any fried items and salsa dressings are made with Canola and virgin Olive oil.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Manuel's Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (14)fit for foodies (10)great for lunch (9)neighborhood gem (8)great for brunch (7)special occasion (5)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (3)romantic (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Manuel'sFun2eatDined on 9/12/2014Nice dining experience but nothing special for example For 17$ I expected some super great enchiladas but to be honest they were average. Have had enchiladas at local restaurants in Austin for about 1/3 of the price and 2x the taste Waiter was friendly,fun and attentiveSpecial Features:
- allieVIPDined on 9/6/2014Always great food!!!! Great drinks and service. Always go there when in Austin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceAustinCityCoupleVIPDined on 8/22/2014Maybe they were understaffed, because the restaurant was not all that busy. We waited 20 minutes for water. The second round of drinks arrived after our main courses were completed. After waiting 10 minutes for sour cream - we flagged the manger to get some. The food was much better than the service.Special Features:
- Excellent RestaurantYummyDined on 8/22/2014We had a party of 6 and they were attentive, friendly, and excellent service. The food was amazing! Will go back often!Special Features:
- Meh....evellisVIPDined on 7/19/2014The food was great, service not so much. We were a party of 6 & got 1 basket of chips, 4 tortillas with our app, things like this. Just kind of annoying.
- GingerDined on 7/7/2014I went to Manuel's with a group of friends for a friend's birthday. Everything from start to finish was delicious. One person got the chicken verde enchiladas and said they were the best he had ever had. I had the shrimp tacos, which came deconstructed which was nice to be able to build your own the way you liked. The shrimp was grilled perfectly and was very tasty. Everyone was very satisfied with their meals and we were already talking about the next time we would come back. The service was very good and attentive. We did not tell our waiter that we were there for a birthday, but he must have overheard us talking and brought out a free dessert with a birthday candle. The dessert was the Postre de Coco and it was amazing!Special Features:
- overatedlostcauseDined on 7/4/2014overated and prices are high for mexican tex mex fareSpecial Features:
- A Downtown TraditionBD213VIPDined on 7/2/2014When in Rome, forget what the Romans do. Leave and go to Austin, go downtown and do Manuel's Downtown. Excellent hand crafted margaritas, Mexican fusion cuisine in a great dining room. Service is always superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 221 reviews are from the Manuel's Downtown reviews archive.
- Horrible Service & Dirty FoodfoldednapkinDined on 5/10/2014We were running behind due to traffic. We called twice to notify them. We were celebrating mother's day, but its hard to enjoy yourself when greeted by a manager that says "you are late." After making his comment with an attitude he peered across a half empty restaurant at our table and we were seated. We ordered the corn soup which was served lukewarm(cheese unmelted). Then drinks ran out until we flagged someone down. They obviously have a filthy kitchen if they can't recognize the blue rubber band that ended up in my mother's fajitas. That makes me wonder if they even wash the vegetables. In the end they charged for everything. They apologized for the rubber band but still charged for it plus automatic gratuity! This place is NASTY!!!!Special Features:
- close to the hot spots in austinLuv2dineelsewhereDined on 5/2/2014great location. great food. easy pay parking at either end of the block that houses Manuel's. Always consistently good food.Special Features:
- Delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014I enjoyed the service, and loved the Ambience! The drinks were a great addition of restaurant personality as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dallas Loves Manuel's Every Time!knitterweichDined on 4/25/2014My husband (then fiance) and I found Manuel's when looking for a place to hold our rehearsal dinner in Austin in 2012. There was a little Italian place next door to Manual's we were actually visiting, but when we walked in and asked about hosting a large party, they looked at us like we were crazy. My husband saw Manuel's next door and said "Hey, let's try this place." We loved it! When we had our rehearsal dinner here, the staff was AMAZING and the food was incredible. Now, 2 years later, we came back for the first time. Nothing has changed! The food was incredible, the service was impeccable, and our experience brought back some great romantic memories. Make no mistake. Every time we're down from Dallas, it's Manuel's for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great time!paleodebDined on 4/21/2014Our party consisted of me, my husband, our two small children, and our in-laws from out-of-town. They wanted "authentic Mexican" during their Austin visit, but nothing too spicy. Manuel's fit the bill. The waiter was helpful when it came to ordering on the milder side, and everybody was quite pleased with their food. Since there is no kids' menu, the food for my little ones ended up costing as much as two adult entrees, so while that was not unexpected, it is something to keep in mind if you have children with you. We will definitely be back and have already recommended Manuel's to friends. Yum!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/19/2014We went for lunch, and it was pretty empty. The food was very tasty! The service was not the greatest. We had to wait quite a bit for our drinks, our waiter made a roudn of margaritas for us and told us that it's not often he has to do that. He even asked us how they came out. Our appetizer and entrees came out at the same time, not giving enough time to ampy enjoy both. With all that being said, the food was very tasty - it's worth a visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Manuel's always satisfiesAsheDined on 4/17/2014I have been going here since the mid eighties. The food is consistently good. I love their mild salsa. my fav thing lately is the grilled drum and spinach entree.Special Features:
- Good food, decent serviceRSBDinerDined on 4/9/2014Over all a good meal. I would come back again. The waiter seemed to maybe be overly busy or distracted...he did a good job, but was hard to track down a couple times.
- YumAmyEatsDined on 3/24/2014So I have been here a couple times before and enjoyed the food but thought service was a little lacking. This time around it was a co-worker's birthday and we decided to come for lunch. We had a larger group and made reservations. This time I was impressed with the service in addition to the quality of the food. Our server was knowledgable with the menu and made recommendations. The pork enchiladas with mole sauce was the recommendation and I would recommend them as well. Delicious! Thanks for the great food and nice experience for celebrating a birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood RellenoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014We went for an early dinner Saturday night with my wife and 8 year old daughter. My wife and I both had the seafood chili relleno, best I've ever had. Also good margaritas but small glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was a great spot to enjoyEmmaTravelerDined on 3/1/2014This was a great spot to enjoy Mexican food. Extremely fresh ingredients and healthy menu. Also, our waiter was fabulous; attentive and friendly. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Wait staff was very considerateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Wait staff was very considerate and especially helpful when asked questions about the food. Our glasses were never left empty and my date and I were incredibly pleased with the overall experience. I would definitely recommend if you want a fancy date night or a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip and modern, but lackingAverageguyDined on 2/8/20148 of us celebrating a special birthday. We were jammed into a corner booth better to six maximum. Server was absent, inattentive and lacked personality, the latter fine if service is good. I ordered from a sticky, dirty menu...a sign of the service to come. I asked about the menu and the server was annoyed, uninterested in offering help.The mole, "award winning" was uninspiring and bland. My salad was way overdressed. Drink orders were slow to come. I was offered an ice tea refill after eating (designated driver). We spent $500 and expected a better experience. Customers were hip and stylish. Interiors well done with ambient light and music. I wish the food and service matched the atmosphere.
- The food is not very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2014The food is not very good to be honest. The service is great. The beverages are good too. I would come back for drinks but eat elsewhere.Special Features:
- OverpricedAustiniteDined on 2/7/2014Manuels has raised its prices to take advantage of downtown tourists. At best it serves glorified Mexican food and not worth $10 for an ordinary margarita. Locals can do better. I will not return.
- Doesn't live up to reputationTraceDined on 2/1/2014Take reviews on urban spoon and trip advisor with a grain of salt. The food here is very average. There are many better options in Austin. We had the ceviche which while fresh was pretty bland. Their mole was good but not served warm enough....if you are looking for an all star experience - go elsewhere
- An Austin FavoriteRetiredNTexasDined on 1/19/2014Every time we visit Austin we always have dinner here. The restaurant has never let us down and that is why we keep coming back year after year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableSEC45Dined on 1/18/2014Manuel's lived up to what I remembered. Having been here years ago when in Austin, we looked for it while planning dinners out on this return trip. The enchiladas were recommended by the waitress, and she nailed it! Especially the the Mole, for which Manuel's is known. The service was friendly and timely and helpful. The scene was full of energy, with several groups there as well as lots of folks at the bar. Margaritas were great, as was the dessert and Mexican coffee. From checking in with the hostess, to our waitress waving as we left, this was a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great surprise.DrmrosenDined on 1/9/2014Visiting Austin for the first time and wanted some quality Mexican food and that's what I found. Sat any the booth by the window. Outstanding drinks and service. The food from chips and guacamole to fantastic entries. So good my wife and I went back later in our 3 day stay in Austin.Special Features:
- Packed house on a Monday nightKatieDined on 1/6/2014I'm glad I made a reservation because the restaurant was quite popular. The enormous basket of chips and salsa arrived quickly with the delicious mango margaritas. This is the first time I've had flautas - I got the black bean and cheese version - delicious and filling. My friend really enjoyed the chicken fajitas. The staff were all very friendly and attentive. I'd go there again and try some of their other yummy drinks and dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food professional serviceJacobDined on 12/19/2013The food is prepared well and the flavors work well together on the dishes that I have had. Being a vegetarian, it's nice to have rice and beans that I can eat. The drinks were well made as well. The service was very professional and attentive, and the establishment is always very clean.Special Features:
- Great Mexican Food and MargaritasmikgrendDined on 12/14/2013Guests from out of town requested Mexican Food. We naturally took them to Manuel's. Perfect, as usual, food, service and reasonable price. We recommend Manuel's.Special Features:
- The food was good, the serviceThomDined on 12/4/2013The food was good, the service was good but a little slow. A couple of the meals were improperly prepared, but the server handled it as quickly as he could.Special Features:
- There's a lot better MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/29/2013There's a lot better Mexican food in Austin. However, Manuel's has a great location and nice ambiance.
- One of our favorites butAsheDined on 11/22/2013the food did not shine this particular evening. Great service, excellent drinks. we will be back. maybe it was an odd night in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect spot2tallDined on 11/17/2013A great place with amazing food. Great value for money, super friendly, classy atmosphere. Oh, and a killer tequila list ;-)Special Features:
- Austin during F-1 2013MarkeytalkDined on 11/16/2013Made reservations for a Sat night during Formula 1 week and I'm glad we did as Manuel's was packed out to the walls. Interesting Mexican food that was elegantly presented. Good hostess and waiter. We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Manuel's. Try it. You'll like it, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food right on the main dragBetsyDined on 11/15/2013We were there during the F1 weekend and the food was fantastic. We would go back next time we are in town. Good service and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodKelliDined on 11/9/2013The food was very tasty, but I was surprised how small the large guacamole dish was. Awesome mole sauce, but the chicken in the tortillas was room temperature. Margaritas were good, but small. Overall, a little pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lighting was too bright withAshAnnVIPDined on 11/8/2013Lighting was too bright with overhead lighting but we LOVED the meal and service was top notch!Special Features:
- MistakesAhutDined on 11/5/2013Food was good but the server messed up two out of five of the orders. There was also two mistakes on the bill.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Manuel's DTcrystalfoxDined on 11/4/2013Had a group of ladies dining there after a tour at nearby Mexic-Arte Museum so we were in the mood for great Mexican food. We all had the lunch specials and it was more than enough to eat. Everyone enjoyed their food and the ambiance.Special Features: