Mantra on the Hill
934 Hatch St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
Contemporary IndianPrice: $30 and under
Mantra on the Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://mantraonthehill.com/
- Phone: 5136211100
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Indian
- Executive Chef: Yajan Upadhyaya (Chef/Owner)
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live entertainment in our Chef's Garden on Friday and Saturday nights! Watch our Chef cook with his Tandoor at the Chef's Station in the Garden!
A word from Mantra on the Hill
Contemporary Indian Cuisine prepared to perfection by renowned Chef Yajan Upadhyaya. Wonderful Cuisine with an elegant ambiance, Mantra on the Hill offers something for everyone. Dine in one of our three dining rooms or watch Chef Yaj cook outside at our Chefs station. Stop by after your night out and try our late night menu. With our late night menu, Chef's garden, and elegant dining room, Mantra is sure to please everyone!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mantra on the Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (24)neighborhood gem (21)romantic (14)great for outdoor dining (11)good for groups (9)special occasion (9)notable wine list (4)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great PlaceDinerCGDined on 8/21/2014It is rare that I give a restaraunt five stars. The food was outstanding. We shared two entrees and they were both excellent. The service was impeccable. The server was knowledgeable of all the food and provided great service without being "in the way". I can't wait for this place to reopen in OTR so I can get more yummy food.Special Features:
- Heaven on the HillEaterDined on 8/6/2014Wonderful gourmet twist on traditional Indian style dishes. Absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar not stockedVitaminvDined on 7/25/2014Wish they had some whiskey! I waited for my date and just wanted crown & coke. They were out of crown. They were also out of makers. Kinda sucked I had to settle for southern comfort. The bartender was nice though. Food was pretty good nothing super awesome though. I enjoyed my dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; problematic serviceAdventure0077Dined on 7/24/2014Four of us had dinner on a Thursday night at Mantra on the Hill. The food was great but when the bill for us came with everyone on together, I asked if it could be split. The response was that it could take a while even though there were just a few other people in the restaurant. It did take a while and then he came back with only 2 of the 4 bills so we had to wait until he did the other 2, then he forgot to give change to one in our group. Since the food was wonderful I would try again but clarify up front the expectation for separate bills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gourmet indian foodCincySueDined on 7/19/2014We have been to Mantra a number of times ... and keep coming back. Love the food ... we always get the same thing ... Garlic Basil Naan .... Tikka Masala and one of their own creations ... Murgh Dhaniwal. It is a cozy romantic setting with a good wine list. We have sat outside only once ... could be a little more but it is great to be able to hear the music from blind lemon ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DawnDined on 7/12/2014We had an emergency and had to cancel. Your questioner will not allow for me to by pass the ratings. I hope to try another time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experience!Akm122Dined on 6/13/2014We found Mantra on the Hill on Open Table, during a quick visit to Cincinnati. It was truly fantastic. Laid back and casual atmosphere, great service and amazing food! Lots of options and flavors-a great place...will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Excellent Service!!!MsMollyDined on 5/27/2014The best advice I can make to anyone going to this restaurant is try to sit in John's section and ask what's good. He was our server and he knew every dish on the menu and he clearly loved the food there. The best servers always know and love the food. They make great suggestions and John's were spot on! What makes the food there so good is the combination of spices. They're addictive! Be sure to try some of the appetizers. I recommend (actually credit goes to John) the eggplant chips and the garbanzo beans. Also, save room for dessert. The chocolate creme brulee is outstanding and hard to forget. Actually, I wish I had some right now.... Service here is always great. They let you relax and enjoy your evening out. Never rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indian with a differenceomnivoreDined on 5/25/2014Tasty food, good flavors. A little different from the run-of-the-mill Indian restaurants in town. More expensive, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyVIPDined on 5/16/2014Made a last minute reservation on a Friday night. Enjoyed some great Indian food. Great vegetarian options. Seriously deep pours of wine. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never less than happyBlazinKYDined on 5/10/2014We're repeat visitors and each time Mantra has been amazing. Some friends came for their first time and they left saying that this was the best Indian food they've had in Cincinnati. From Starting with the masala mushrooms and papri chaat to dining on the korma paneer and palak paneer, each order was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a favorite!msh75Dined on 5/10/2014mantra on the hill is definitely one of my favorite places! you cannot get better indian food (coconut shrimp appetizer is a must!), and the atmosphere is perfect. we had slower service this time, but the staff was fantastic about it--even gave us each a free glass of wine to compensate. can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedjjwhitDined on 5/10/2014We have been to Mantra numerous times and always loved it. This time we found the menu reduced to more standard Indian fare and the bar service dramatically scaled back. They didn't have basic ingredients for mixed drinks let alone Flying Horse or Tiger beer. The duck was no longer available either.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2014Food was wonderful, as always. Only problem is length of time to get food. Always seems to be quite a wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theater at Mantra on the HillCookieDined on 4/30/2014We parked at the Playhouse in the Park and walked to Mantra. It was an easy five minute walk for us. We had dinner with coffee afterward and were back to the theater in slightly more than an hour. My husband had the salmon which was delicious and done just right. I had chicken tiki masala which was also very good. We also shared the cauliflower and the okra dish. The okra dish was different and superb. We don't want very spicy food, and Mantra did a good job for us. Our waitress was on top of everything that we needed. We will go there again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 186 reviews are from the Mantra on the Hill reviews archive.
- Lauren's the bestDadbongDined on 4/27/2014My wife, daughter and I had a wonderful evening at Mantra on Sunday evening. The service by Lauren was superb. Great care, with fun repartee as the meal progressed. She was a delight. We were "shopping" for a place to go with our dinner group and tied several entrees as well as some side vegetarian dishes. The food was excellent. The lamb was divine. We did not have anything but the best of experiences all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PunctualityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/26/2014We really liked the food. We really didn't like waiting 1.5 hours to get it. Serving food promptly MUST be a priority, or people will not come back.Special Features:
- creative and tasty Indian cuisineCintiKidVIPDined on 4/25/2014Not the usual Indian restaurant in the USA. The food is creatively and tastily cooked - sort of nouvelle cuisine indiene. Reasonable priced and friendly personal service. It is a pleasure to find papad[am] that is both tasty and not greasy. Indeed the naan is tasty and not greasy as well. We enjoyed the garbanzo almost-salad, lamb ont he shank matinated (rather spicy) and the fried salmon dish. don't forget to look on the back of the menu for veggies andother goodies, including some "usual" Indian items.Special Features:
- Main courses were so socincybirderVIPDined on 4/17/2014It was my first time dining here. My friend and I enjoyed the 2 appetizers we ordered - a chickpea thing and then the eggplant chips in tamarind. The entrees were rather bland. I had a chicken dish that my server mentioned would be on the blander side and he was right. It sounded like a good combination but it didn't live up to my expectations. My friend got the shrimp dish and was disappointed in it.
- The food was really good,xxxxVIPDined on 4/11/2014The food was really good, although the salmon came to our table just lukewarm, as if it had been sitting waiting to come out to our table. Flavors were still good, but had it been hot, it would have been so much better. The papri chaat was delicious, as was the korma. The lentils were also not quite hot enough. Service to get the food out while it's hot is an opportunity.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful and really tastyLindaDined on 4/5/2014This is our second trip to Mantra. My husband and I are new to Indian food, and it was a pleasure to see the menu describe the dishes, plus helpful waitstaff. It was tasty, but sometimes I wish there had been a bit more for sharing. Our waiter was very friendly, helpful, and yet not overly attentive. I definitely go again, to try more new things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Great location.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/2/2014My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful meal at Mantra. It's right in the middle of Mount Adams, which makes it convenient to visit Playhouse in the Park, or a coffee shop thereafter. Definitely will be a place we return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went to an afternoon eventTastyVIPDined on 3/28/2014Went to an afternoon event downtown and then brought my wife and 2 teenage daughters to Mantra. i had just returned from India and looked forward tot he American interpretation of their food. The meal was excellent. Their wine pairings were generous and excellent. We will return.Special Features:
- Friday evening dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/21/2014Had dinner before going to Playhouse in the Park. Food was very good and service was outstanding. We went early so parking was great, we didn't have to rush and we could just walk up the hill for the play. It was a very nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time for Indian FoodLarryLoriDined on 3/15/2014Being a foodie my husband and I decided to step out of the box with dining. The restaurant just opened for the evening as we were the first diners. The waiter was extremely knowledgeable and helped us out with describing the entrees. The restaurant was black wooden tables with sectioned off rooms like the space was a house before. Nothing fancy, simple colors. Food was delicious and tasty, I will defiantly make another trip in the future to mantra on the hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodCincyCDAVIPDined on 3/9/2014The food selections are consistently good across the entire menu and over all courses. This restaurant offers an excellent night of dining at a very reasonable price.Special Features:
- Great food but sloooow....OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 3/8/2014Could be the best Indian food in the city, but it took them almost an hour and a half to get the entrée to the table. Also, there is a separate dining room in back that is very spare and colorless - and the noise level in that small room was much too high. However, they were kind enough to move us quickly to the main restaurant area upon request.Special Features:
- Very goodsar8Dined on 2/21/2014Food is good- not your typical indian food, more contemporary. Great for friends. Reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great unique meal!aae2808Dined on 2/15/2014There are so many unique items to chose from on the menu, each time we go, we just order a bunch of food and share everything. We tried the Papri Chaat and it was delicious. I always get the Chicken Tikka Masala and it did not disappoint. Whole meal, two people, apps and drinks, two entree's, $45. Can't beat it. And not a morsel of food left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding DaalBretDined on 2/14/2014Some of the best and most creative Indian food in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem on the Hillwhiteoak1Dined on 2/8/2014One of the best restaurants that nobody knows. Everything a neighborhood gem should be: great food-yes, ambience-yes, value-yes, pleasant knowledgeable staff-yes! It's especially convenient if you are going to Playhouse in the Park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing experiencejudyDined on 2/1/2014service was poor. food took a long time to arrive. waitress kept suggesting more expensive wine and then brought a different one than we ordered. food was "fair" and disappointing. . we had looked forward to a special evening and dinner and we were very disappointed. we wished we had gone to another establishment that was less expensive and yet provided a quality meal. we will not plan to return and will not recommend to others.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/30/2014This was our first time here and had a wonderful experience. Zach our waiter was knowledgable and attentive. This was our first time truly eating at an Indian restaurant and as such had to rely on Zach's expertise. He gave wonderful descriptions and the food was even better than he described. The food was fabulous and we would definitely return. Just give yourself time to enjoy the atmosphere because it is not fast paced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, extremely slow kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/25/2014My wife and I ate at Mantra on the Hill on a Saturday evening. We had made reservations a week in advance and were promptly seated. Despite the fact that at least a third of the tables were empty, the two cooks in the kitchen were unable to keep up with the orders. Our appetizer arrived in a realistic amount of time, and the fried eggplant slivers were outstanding! But it took 75 minutes to get our entrees (yes, you read that correctly). When the food came, it was very good. The lamb was tenderMilk, and the chicken was tasty, with just the right amount of spice. Our waitress was great, but there was only so much she could do. However, I certainly can't recommend this place based on our experience.Special Features:
- nicegladiwentVIPDined on 1/18/2014This place was quite nice but and good and if you live in the Neighborhood you should give it a try but be aware, the portions a bit on the small side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet spot in Mount AdamsBearcatfansDined on 1/15/2014This is a fine dining restaurant with an Indian twist. It is quiet, elegant, and has a good wine and beer list. These are minor considerations, though, beside the excellence of the cuisine. From the garbanzo bean salad to the chocolate creme brulee, every single dish was perfection. Our party ordered mostly lamb dishes and vegetables, all delicious. You know there is a master chef at work here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedJezebelDined on 1/10/2014After reading many good reviews, I was excited to eat here. Not sure if the chef was absent that night or what bit our meal was nothing special. A group of four tried 2 apps, 2 naans and 4 entrees (one from each menu category). The presentation was altogether lacking and the food itself was just okay. Nothing was outstanding. We did have great service.Special Features:
- That's one big spoonPaulVIPDined on 1/1/2014I'd never been to a true Indian restaurant, and when I joked about the huge spoon in the place setting, one of my party of six, who had traveled in India, told me it was for sharing. Another of the party suggested we just order six entrees and share them all, and then another of our group told our server to just bring us the six best things on the menu. I believe the server was named Zack, but at any rate he did a great job at designing our meal. He even brought a seventh entree just because he couldn't decide on the best six! Everything was great, and the desserts were wonderfully odd and delightful. I'm not from Cincy, but if I were I'd eat there often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre food + SLOW serviceDissatisfiedVIPDined on 12/27/2013Mediocre food + SLOW service & kitchen and inattentive wait staff + extremely loud music (sure the one or 2 classic Hindi songs played were appreciated but if ur gonna blast it at least make sure it's a good playlist)
- unique Indian cuisinedinner42Dined on 12/27/2013Food great. Contemporary ambiance. Bartender/waiter Zack was excellent. We let him choose our food. Superb. I 3-starred service only because the staff needed one more person for efficiency. Staff was largely rushed off their feet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.