253 Washington Street
Jersey City, NJ 07310Neighborhood:
Contemporary IndianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mantranj.com/
- Phone: 2013338699
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary Indian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Mantra JC
Mantra Restaurant is a premier destination spot for modern Indian cuisine. We cater to pallets of individuals who are accustomed to Indian cuisine as well as those who want to indulge and enjoy the nuevo, rich and exciting flavors that Indian food has to offer. The relaxed lounge atmosphere is a perfect venue to meet socially or professionally. The dining area offers the ideal setting to enjoy meals with friends and family. We take pride in preparing food with the highest quality ingredients and our chefs turn out delicious and suckling choices. Dining out at Mantra offers a true fine dining experience for everyone. Besides our premier location in Paramus, we now have a second location open in downtown Jersey City (Exchange Place). Come visit and devour the excellence and judge for yourself. This is our “Mantra”.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mantra JC reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (3)kid-friendly (2)fit for foodies (2)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)neighborhood gem (1)late-night find (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Great for team lunchesTdw44Dined on 7/31/2014The lunchtime Indian buffet is really good for a team outing. It's inexpensive, has a good mixture of vegetarian and non-vegetarian food, and we are always able to get a table for the whole team on short noticedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice_Group_LunchboagDined on 7/18/2014With reservation prompt and ready to accommodate large group. Service is nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 41 reviews are from the Mantra JC reviews archive.
- Indian fine diningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2014We had the toga josh the afghan kabab, bhindi fry and parathas and they were really really good. They had an event upstairs and they shunted us to the basement which was not great and almost spoiled it for us. That's the only thing that bothered us otherwise everything was great including the rasmalai in the end. Derive folks were very nice and courteous. ArunSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian AdditionLisaVIPDined on 3/4/2014The food and service were great in fact I would have given it five stars but the paneer with spinach was extremely overwhelming with the spinach. Other than that the food was tremendous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food little dissapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/7/2013The spot was nice, but there was a baby shower on the first level, that we had to walk through as we were taken to the basement. (kinda tacky I thought) Which although was fairly nice, had a big screen tv with the game on. Not ecactly what I was hoping for a romantic evening. I'm sure the party was paying more then we dropped, but our meal was still well over $100. Anyway, food was good, service was good, drinks very good, very nice staff, just would have prefered a table upstairs.
- Nice experiencePerzDined on 11/28/2013Visited this place with family. Ambience was good and food was excellent. Plan to come back again for occasionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty decent joint for IndianAbirDined on 11/20/2013Pretty decent joint for Indian Food lovers.. though the portioning of food is a little unsatisfactory as compared to the price; however the taste makes up for it.. overall a great dining placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, lovely ambianceLoveoffoodDined on 10/5/2013Decided on this restaurant for my mom's 60th birthday dinner. We were a small group of 5. The staff was extremely friendly and polite. Everything we ate was really good, including the complimentary appetizer from the chef. The food came out in a timely matter and the drinks were delish! We had 7P reservations and was pretty empty when we got in there but by 8, 8:30 there was decent crowd. If you love Indian food this a great find in the area. The setting is especially nice for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Indian cuisineReetzVIPDined on 7/26/2013If you are looking for artfully presented and deliciously executed Indian food, Mantra is for you! They started our meal with a free appetizer, which was this yummy bite I can only describe as an "indian tostada" that came with cilantro and tamarind sauces -- yum! Then we had the special appetizer, which was perfectly cooked plump scallops in a cilantro-based sauce. We then split a paneer dish and the mushroom dish and an order of garlic naan. We left stuffed and even had leftovers! They have a fully stocked bar too, and the restaurant definitely has a "cool" feel. Definitely great for when you want something fancier than what you'll find on Newark Ave near JSQ.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good PlaceRamsDined on 7/4/2013It's a good place but the staff were very rude .. Food was ok ... Paid $168 lil expensive .I don't recommend this place atleast to guys in Edison as we have better places here.
- Variety is Truly The Spice of Life!SandyDined on 6/20/2013I visited Mantra JC For the First time with 2 friends. This place came highly Recommended by an Italian Friend of Mine, who I must same has a flare for Indian Food. I was truly Impressed with not Only By The Ambience of this Restaurant, but also by the Variety that was ofered on the Buffet Station. I am a vegetarian and always find it hard to Enjoy a Buffet, as the Variety is not that great, but this place just blew me over! I was Happy to see that The Chef/Owner decided to give us a good Variety to Choose From. Thanks to All the Staff for Great Service, Really tasty Food and No Heart Burns.... Will surely visit again.Special Features:
- Great First VisitLocalJCFamilyDined on 5/12/2013We went for Mother's Day so we did the Sunday buffet. The buffet was well organized with many favorites and traditional fare. We all enjoyed sampling the different foods - some of which we wouldn't have been knowledgeable enough to order off the menu. The kids were welcomed and there was plenty of food them to try (not spicy to mildly spicy options). The servers were great with the kids and there were quite a few other children there with families. It was relaxed and fun. We all had a great time and were well fed. You can't beat the price either. We will be going back!Special Features:
- Unexpected PleasureHollangDined on 4/29/2013One doesn't expect to find an excellent source of Indian food just across the NJ Transit tunnel from Manhattan in Jersey City. Wow, I was more than pleasantly surprised. Menu choices were diverse with traditional offerings and some combinations I'd never seen before. Well worth a visit. I know if ever I'm in that neck of the woods again that I'll be a repeat visitor, for sure! One word of caution, though. I was a bit surprised by the size of the bill at the end of the meal. I think because the offereings were so diverse and so good, we sampled so many different offerings we lost sight of how it can add up. So, don't let your gastronomic delight get as far ahead of your pocketbook as did I...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place was great! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/14/2013This place was great! The service was friendly and prompt. I loved the banana flambé at the table! The tandoori grill platter for $21 was a little small though, but everything else was great!Special Features:
- They have a dj on SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/16/2013They have a dj on Saturday nights and it was way too loud, it was hard to hear each other at the table. I'd go again for the food, but probably not on a Saturday.
- We went here for valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013We went here for valentine's day celebration. We ordered Sesame Paneer, the quantity was really small, just three pieces but it was flavorful. We had main course, where quantity was plenty and even the quality was pretty good. We even had leftovers. The ambiance is always great in this restaurant. One of the fun thing that they did is to tuck a red rose in bill envelop. It was a great surprise. Thank you.Special Features:
- Mantra - Good BuffetOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/4/2013Booked a table for my Team lunch, the ambiance was good to have group lunch. Buffet was really cheap & good both for vegetarians & non-vegetariansSpecial Features:
- Great Late Night Indian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/1/2013Delicious food, and plenty of it. Be sure to order sauce on the side, since some of the meat dishes do not come with a sauce. Overall a very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Poor food quality Very lessOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/13/2012Poor food quality Very less quantity of food for the price Slow and bad service
- Great place to bring the familyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2012Great place to bring the family or a date. Romantic and contemporary decor. Not overcrowded, which is hard to find in Jersey city. Have eaten there twice food tends to be little on the spicy side even when mild is requested. Parking on street is easy after 6.Special Features:
- Mantra is a great find! It'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2012Mantra is a great find! It's a sophisticated Indian restaurant with a full bar and wine list. The ambience is lovely and the service is attentive. It's our favorite Indian restaurant!Special Features:
- This new restaurant is a delight,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2012This new restaurant is a delight, from the amazing food to the gorgeous decor. The service was outstanding, I will be back.Special Features:
- Very Bad Experience..OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2012The food was very spicy even though we had asked for the mild food. Kids can not eat even the mild curries. The service was horrible. The server was making ugly faces when we asked for the wait time just to get a glass of lassi for the kids. The wait time to get your food after placing an order is about 70 mins. YES 70 horrible mins. Overall a very bad experience and they should train their servers first on how to behave with the customers. I would give 2 stars ONLY for the ambience.
- Service was excellent. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2012Service was excellent. We had a larger group and the staff added another table so we'd all be comfortable. Food was very good, especially the mango shrimp and rosemary naan bread. Would both recommend Mantra to others and return again myself.
- Same old storyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2012We went to Mantra after a few months. Like many other Indian restaurants, the quality dropped significantly since our last visit. 1. Less variety in appetizers 2. Main course was not as good as earlier 3. Desserts were ok. This is unlike our last visit, when this place had recently opened and the food variety and quality were excellent. Now it is just like any other Indian restaurant in the area. I would be reluctant to visit again.
- The only reason why I didn'tGerryVIPDined on 8/5/2012The only reason why I didn't give 5 starts was because of cost. Food is excellent, very flavorful, not the same Indian food you see in every resturant, and the service was the best I ever had in an Indian restaurant. However, cost is a bit high for what you're getting.Special Features:
- Viable lunch cshoice in JC.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2012Welcome addition to the lunch choices in downtown Jersey City. Buffet lunch has a reasonable selection, replenished often and not drenched with oil. Food is not overspiced or greasy to mask the inadequacies of the cooking. The physical layout of the buffet dishes is poorly designed (the corridor between the kitchens and the dining area). Staff is very diligent once you get their attention. Generally appear to have little or no training but seem very enthusiastic. Seating is adequate although uninspired but well lit and clean. Bar selections are expensive for the location. Overall, great for lunch if you can elbow your way to the buffet.Special Features:
- Great food. Lots of VegetarianOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2012Great food. Lots of Vegetarian and seafood selections.Special Features:
- 4th time to Mantra and I reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/20124th time to Mantra and I really enjoyed again..Service is very good and the food as well. As someone who "Didn't Like Indian Food" I must say that I do like it now!!! We had a table side Chaat that was really good...Reminds me of being in a Mexican restaurant and ordering guacamole..You can get is as spicy as you want...If you a wary of trying Indian Food...Give this a try..You will not be disappointed!!!Special Features:
- We thought that the food wasReviewfromOct192013VIPDined on 7/1/2012We thought that the food was very good. The restaurant incorporates a variety of Indians styles and each dish stood well on its own. The service was also very good. The waiter was friendly but not intrusive. The dishes came to the table at an appropriate pace. We will definitely come back.Special Features:
- The menu offered varied choicesMarl67Dined on 6/22/2012The menu offered varied choices and also specials for the evening. The presentation of all the courses was wonderful. The service staff was attentive although we were there early evening and it was not very crowded yet. We enjoyed each dish thoroughly. Would definitely go there agian.Special Features:
- Awesome service!!! I'll recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2012Awesome service!!! I'll recommend this restaurant to all of my friends.Special Features:
- This is the fifth time, IOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/17/2012This is the fifth time, I came to Mantra in 3 months time. The food was really good each time and we enjoyed it. The ambiance is also nice.Special Features:
- First time, trying somethingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2012First time, trying something new, my wife and I enjoyed our experience very much. We will definately go back.Special Features:
- Went on prompting from anOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2012Went on prompting from an English friend of mine who raved about their curries. Conscienscous staff made some excellent recommendations for both vegiarians and meat lovers. The lamb chop appetizer is amazing. Front bar has huge potential. Mojito martini a win. If you look carefully back area can be turned into separate room great for private dining. Will be back.Special Features:
- Was my repeat visit. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2012Was my repeat visit. Great place. Excellent food. Recommend it.
- ok for the occasional indianOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/19/2012ok for the occasional indian dinner. I wouldnt ccall the food great. it was ok.
- 2nd time and the staff wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/19/20122nd time and the staff was extremely helpful explaining the different dishes etc. As an Indian food novice it was quite helpful. The food was very good and I will return. It is nice to see a new business that gives good service and actually cares about its operation.Special Features:
- New Indian in JC with tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/8/2012New Indian in JC with tasty food and warm service. This is the (more laid back) Tamarind of JC! Go.Special Features:
- Outstanding Service and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/5/2012My husband and I had dinner at Mantra this weekend. The food was excellent and the service was OUTSTANDING. We are glad to see this as a new addition to the Paulus Hook neighborhood. This is our new favorite restaurant in JC!Special Features: