Mantra Indian Cuisine & Bar
116 N West St
Raleigh, NC 27603Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Mantra Indian Cuisine & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mantraraleigh.com/
- Phone: 9198332823x
- Hours of Operation:
Sorry. We are closed permanently.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We cater to all events. Need one week prior notification and 50% advance.
- Private Party Facilities: Enjoy your special corporate business lunch or dinner, birthday party, baby or bridal shower, wine dinner or corporate meeting, wedding or cocktail receptions event in our private booth room. Let us help make your event unforgettable.
- Private Party Contact: Srini Rajagopal 8777824154
- Special Events: Follow us on Facebook and website.
A word from Mantra Indian Cuisine & Bar
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Mantra Indian Cuisine & Bar - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
Mantra Indian Cuisine & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (6)romantic (5)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (4)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (2)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Good choice for Indian in downtownDaveVIPDined on 9/1/2014One of our favorites in Raleigh. Great food, interesting menu. Service was slow this time though, and beer selection was lacking, but food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Limited Beer SelectionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2014We've been twice in the last two months. We had similar experiences both times. The food is great with generous portions. The service is slow and uneven. We enjoy beer with our meals and were disappointed that they no longer offer draft beer, even though they still have taps at the bar. Ok, how about bottled beer? Not much selection - just some of the national brews and some Indian beers. They should offer some local bottled beers. My god, they are less than 100 yards from a local brewpub - Natty Greene's. Plus there plenty of other local breweries that we would love to support.Special Features:
- Indian food for the massesJimMDined on 8/19/2014Mantra may not have all of the fancy decor of a five star downtown restaurant but they have great food. They also have good location next to parking deck which is convenient. No matter what I order I am not disappointed. The garlic nan is addictive and the lamb shank melts in your mouth! The interchangeability of the selections allow for a great family style meal, so bring your friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great India entreeDKandTKDined on 8/13/2014A good taste of India in own backyard of Raleigh with both many vegetarian and meat/seafood dishes. The appetizers are very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Slooooow ServiceJaysunDined on 8/7/2014This was our first time there. We were a group of 7 with a few kids as well. We were seated in a back room which does not have any windows so the ambience factor was reduced for us as compared to people out near the front. The service was extremely slow, I had to take my 6 year old for a couple of walks to keep him occupied and my 12 year old waited at least 20 mins for his drink. While we were waiting for our food, I was thinking that this is a one timer. However once we were served we loved each dish that we ordered. The food was excellent and for that we would go back (but not when we are in a hurry :-)). I did speak to our server who was very nice and said that a few folks had not shown for work which is why they were slow.Special Features:
- Love this placechrisklingmanDined on 7/11/2014My wife and I love this place. If we are in Raleigh, we love eating here. It is the best Indian food I've had in the Triangle.Special Features:
- at least the food was goodSageOwlVIPDined on 7/3/2014place was like a warehouse - only rated quiet as it was empty - servers were pleasant but language barrier led to our questions not being answered though they said they would ask the manager - bench seating was dirty and tables starkly bare - food was excellent though - sticker shock when the bill came and it turned out that the "house" merlot was $12 for a modest glass - the website menu is the worst I've seen graphics-wise
- The following 200 reviews are from the Mantra Indian Cuisine & Bar reviews archive.
- Going away lunchHighVoltageDined on 5/20/2014We took our Admin Assistant (who is Indian) there for her going away lunch. Everyone enjoyed the food and experience. Would definitely recommend Mantra.Special Features:
- Best Indian Food in RaleighGoodfood11Dined on 5/10/2014I love Indian food and can be a bit picky about it, but after trying several places in Raleigh, Mantra is definitely the best. The food is seasoned perfectly and is delicious. I've had many of the dishes, including but not limited to the butter chicken, palak pasand, and several of the lamb dishes. I have yet to be disappointed. Also the service is great: the wait staff is friendly, the lunch buffet is hot and no matter how quickly I drink my water I never run out before they refill it. I highly recommend Mantra, especially for the economical but still tasty lunch buffet (although as usual with buffets the dinner menu has a better selection).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened to the Lamb Shank?maidsniteoutDined on 5/10/2014Overall good restaurant but wondering if there's a new owner or chef? The lamb shank isn't what it used to be. It's now bland.
- Good foodBobJVIPDined on 5/2/2014The food at Mantra is of high quality. The lamb in Rogan Josh was tender. The portions were plentiful and you can ask for mild, medium or hot spiced on each dish. Easy parking in the lot or on the street.
- Nice evening out!marybDined on 4/26/2014Mantra accommodated our large group with ease this past Saturday night. Even though our group trickled in past our reservation time, we were made to feel very welcome and our table was kept waiting for us. Our server offered great suggestions--especially the okra appetizer, YUM! The restaurant is a little lacking in ambience but the smells from the kitchen make it warm and inviting! Overall, a nice spot for an evening out with friends for great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner at MantraElliotVIPDined on 4/26/2014W had only appetizers which were excellent and ample for two. Good beer selection at very reasonable prices We had Samosas, hyderabadi dum, lamb shish kebab (which was different from Greek), stuffed bread, mango chutney, and mango ice cream. All were excellentSpecial Features:
- Outstanding food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014We had a great experience at Mantra. Our waiter did a great job and every bit of food we ordered, especially the ones he recommended, were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday Brunch at MantraKeithDined on 4/13/2014My wife and I plus our daughter in law and our 8 week old grandson enjoyed the Sunday Brunch Buffet at Mantra this past weekend. The food was fantastic! Perfectly made vegetables and meats, including wonderfully simmered goat with a kick of spice, and fried but not at all greasy okra that was vertically sliced and deliciously crispy. The ambience was great and the wait staff were great for having a baby in a car seat with us. The chai tea was the only opportunity for improvement - it seemed a bit burned... We will definitely repeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At last!AGP1204Dined on 4/12/2014It is nearly impossible to find great (even good) Indian cuisine in Raleigh. We have the old stand-bys (Royal India, Taj Mahal)...but they don't have any kind of ambiance or warmth, like you find in bigger cities and metro areas. Thanks to Groupon, I found out about Mantra, and have been several times since then. The staff is so friendly (not fake), and the selection for both lunch and dinner is impressive. You have the standard items like butter chicken and lamb kabobs, as well as a mixed bag of authentic dishes I'd never tried before. The naan is fantastic (especially the rosemary), and I don't think I've ever had better Dal Makhani. Give it a try next time you find yourself downtown and craving something a little bit spicier.Special Features:
- Great foodJoyus1Dined on 3/24/2014I have been here several times now and each time has been excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great ServicechrisklingmanDined on 3/8/2014Mantra is a wonderful restaurant for a romantic meal with your significant other, or a place to bring 8 friends to celebrate a birthday. The staff is very accommodating, and they go above and beyond with helping you put together the best meal experience for your money. From the bartenders recommending drinks that aren't on the menu, to the wait staff taking the time to help you find the meal selection you will most enjoy, Mantra is a great place to eat. I highly recommend them.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ChangeUnderdogDined on 3/7/2014A nice place for a little change of pace from the usual. Great if you like spicy Indian food and unique cocktails. Our server was very nice and attentive. We were there on a Friday night and shared the restaurant with only 3 other tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as good as used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/16/2014I could usually count on Mantra for a great Indian meal but lately I feel their food is not so good. The usual staple of chicken tika masala was very dry and the garlic naan did not have any flavor. I was very disappointed.Special Features:
- Excellent Indian food - Great Valueudaman3Dined on 2/15/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our romantic dinner for 2 on a Saturday night! Service was on point, and the food was excellent! Started with the no-veg sampler of Lamb, Chicken. Shrimp and Talapia. Unbelievable flavors! Along with the Cheese stuffed Naan, it was a perfect beginning to our evening. The entrees were excellent as well! I recommend going with the House specialties! So much flavor! Will Def go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines dayHelgaDined on 2/14/2014Great food. Waitress stunk. She took forever to get to our table, didn't know the menu. Nice lady though - just not knowledgable and seemed a little lazy. All the other servers would have received a 5 (water, food delivery, wine guy).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food. Awful serviceVickkersDined on 2/10/2014Fantastic food. Terrible service. The restaurant was not busy at all: - waiter spilled a lot of water on my place setting and never gave me anything to clean it up with. - Never got the drink I ordered (twice) and my friend only got the straw she repeatedly asked for half way through the meal - He took our appetizer away WHILE WE WERE STILL EATING! Our meal was still another 20 min out. -When I made the reservation, I specifically mentioned we had a Groupon. I tried to give it to him when we sat down and again before he brought our check. He ignored me every time and when he brought the check it was at full price so I just put the difference in cash in the bill. I wasn't going to trust him with my credit card.
- DissapointedAlixDined on 2/8/2014Food was ok at best. Service was ok at best. We were rushed to order our food when we had a reservation at 9:45. I was very turned off by that, and I wont be back
- Great food, not great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/6/2014This was our 2nd time eating at Mantra. We hoped after our 1st experience, which was shortly after opening, that their service would improve with time. That was not the case. Our server was very nice. However his knowledge of the dishes or even what the fish of the day was, was lacking. He forgot to bring several things and had to be reminded. We were also charged full price for a drink which was clearly marked as a special. That being said, the food is still great as we remembered from our 1st trip. We wanted to try several things, so ordered both sampler platters from the appetizer menu, some garlic naan, and the Mantra Palak with Paneer to share. It was all delicious, and we enjoyed the variety. We will return, but not w/out a coupon.Special Features:
- Ok food, disappointing serviceNolaEater6023Dined on 2/1/2014Kind hostess seated us, but we were ignored for 10-15 minutes after being seated. Once a server did finally pick up our table she forgot our appetizer. We also had to ask for our check. Half the staff looked very busy and the other half lackadaisical. Decent food, but wouldn't go back.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 2/1/2014We have dined here once thus far and the food was incredible! Fabulous service and wonderful selection. We definitely plan to return on a regular basis. We've four our favorite Indian Cuisine in the Raleigh area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good foodBobJVIPDined on 1/26/2014I have been to Mantra several times and have found the food to be consistently good, serving most of the standbys I get at other Indian restaurants but also serving some dishes I have found nowhere else. The portions are ample and they will spice hotness according to taste. I intend to return often.Special Features:
- Treat yourself to the best!JonPDined on 1/25/2014We love Mantra! It truly is one of the BEST places for Indian food around that I know of and I try to go as often as possible. This past time I found a new "favorite" dish and appetizer! Try the Peshawari Naan and the Hydrabai Dum Mantra Biryani...fabulous!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Indian FoodJonPDined on 1/10/2014The chef at Mantra is wonderful and the staff always friendly and helpful. We love going there, on dates or any time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Qualityknv919Dined on 1/10/2014The food was great. Service was wonderful. They have a decent selection of drinks and wine. The menu was varied with something for everyone. The flavors were perfect and I was impressed. Great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True indian foodluv2trynewfoodsDined on 1/7/2014the atmosphere was relaxing and not to loud. The food was amazing and the server recommended popular dishes on the menu. food was hot when arrived at table. the owner came out and greeted us also give us a complimentary dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodDiningmommyDined on 1/3/2014Really great food, 2nd time there. Service was slow and waiter was somewhat inattentive. However, would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-so food and terrible serviceRaleighDinerDined on 12/31/2013When we first arrived we were only the second table, and the first was finishing their meal. We were not given a wine list when we were seated. Had to wait 5-10 minutes for waiter. Had to wait 5-10 minutes for drinks after ordering (remember, we were only one of two tables and the other was done eating). We were not offered dessert. Food was okay, certainly not worth putting up with service though.
- Good Indian food w/nice atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/19/2013Second visit during lunch was as tasty and enjoyable as the first visit. Authentic Indian cuisine offered with excellent service.Special Features:
- Best Indian food in downtown!Sheppup1VIPDined on 12/7/2013The food here is amazing, it's extremely fresh and delicious. The restaurant has a great atmosphere, it's upscale laid back. The food is consistently really good, we love coming here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian restaurant in downtownDaveVIPDined on 12/5/2013THis is becoming one of our favorites. Great food, attentive service, good value. Wine list is a bit sparse but OK. Decor is a bit hit and miss, but charming in its own way.Special Features:
- Strange!DisappointedDined on 11/29/2013Service, Food, Ambience were on 3 different pages instead of being in sync which made for a very odd experience. I would rerun for the lunch buffet but not for dinner!
- Great Indian foodDaveVIPDined on 11/24/2013A really nice find in downtown Raleigh. Casual atmosphere, attententive service, and great food. Reasonably priced. LImited wine / beer list, but fine for this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch BuffetTThorpeDined on 11/24/2013My husband and I go to Mantra as much as we can. The food is the best Indian food in the Triangle. They now have a lunch and weekend brunch buffet for $12. The Best Indian buffet you will see and I have tried many. More people need to go to Mantra. The service is spotty, but with food that good I do not need a waiter at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.