18064 Georgia Ave
Olney, MD 20832Neighborhood:
BelgianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mannequinpis.com/
- Phone: 3015704800
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Belgian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Mannequin Pis
Enjoy delicious, sophisticated Belgian Cuisine at Mannequin Pis in Olney. The food centers around mussels, but you can find worthy alternatives all over the menu starting from Chicken to Belgian Bier Beef Stew (Carbonnade)or a delicious Venision Sausage. We have extensive selection of Belgian Biers. Chimay, Delirium Tremens, Duvel and all the Trappistes Biers are here.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mannequin Pis reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (94)fit for foodies (74)special occasion (58)romantic (40)notable wine list (17)good for groups (8)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- ExcellentLaGarDined on 10/18/2014The quality of the food here cannot be overstated; outstandingly fresh ingredients, impeccably prepared give you the feel of a neighborhood, European bistro. It really is outstanding. The sea bass and pork loin on a recent visit were the best we have had anywhere! And the mussels defy description.Special Features:
- NatashaVeggieGrlDined on 10/14/2014I've gone to the Mannequin Pis a handful of times. I hate to be the person that always uses a voucher but frankly the place is a little expensive. I only ever get the Hearts of Palm Salad and I'm always pretty pleased with it. I wish the salad could be ordered in a larger portion as an entree. My friend ordered a salmon dish that she said she really loved. We both had a glass of red wine. I enjoy their cab sauv by the glass. Service actually used to be something I ha complained about but since the first couple times I've been there, service has improved a lot. Overall, I would recommend Mannequin Pis but likely for a special occasion. Entrees are priced at around at least $20 each and appetizers seem expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Dishes!Haley20832VIPDined on 10/9/2014Our group of five ordered a wide variety of things on the menu and all dishes were unbelievably good! Great flavors, terrific wine and beer pairings - just a truly great dining experience. We had several appetizers - salad, escargot, lobster bisque soup - all perfectly prepared and presented and flavorful. We had two of the mussel pots (really tastey!!) and some sausages, the pork tenderloin, and the steak. Each dish was terrific. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels and MorelikeitgoodDined on 10/4/2014We've eaten here several times and the food has always been outstanding. While mussels are their specialty, they have other entrees for those who prefer other seafood or even red meat. My wife had mussels and I had sea bass from the regular menu although Chilean sea bass was also offered as a nightly special. My fish was fresh and tasty but not over-seasoned. My wife enjoyed her mussels and the bread, which I couldn't eat because of gluten intolerance. I asked about several items on the menu and all of the sauces were wheat-free. We had a coupon that cost $15 for a $30 discount. These are available quite often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FreqDinerVIPDined on 10/4/2014Always a good meal here, especially the mussels. We always stop in when we go to Olney Theater. If you like Belgian beers they have an elaborate list which we enjoyed. If you are bothered by tables very close together you should give this restaurant a miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Real BelgiumMarcVIPDined on 10/3/2014Known for its muscles and sets the standard for quality, some day I will eat something else there! Belgium beer list to accompany muscles strong. Been to this place many times over the past 10 years and will return again. Food service seemed a bit out of sync with kitchen this night, I think they were short staffed.Special Features:
- Always goodJustinDined on 10/1/2014Every time I have visited this restaurant it has been great. I enjoy the beef stew very much and the sausage appetizers are fantastic. The decor is very pleasant also.Special Features:
- BumbleVIPDined on 9/30/2014We have eaten here once before and it was amazing so we came back and brought family. Unfortunately, it was nothing like our first experience. Perhaps, it was just an off night. I wanted to try different mussels than last time, and they were over cooked. My husband had the pheasant sausage and said the spices were too overpowering. Our Lobster bisques were fair. There was only one server for the entire restaurant and although it is relatively small and quaint, it was a lot for him to handle. Off night this trip :(I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but...HopsVIPDined on 9/28/2014The food is always superb and it was again on this night. Escargot hot and beaming in garlic. The Trout beautiful cooked with potatoes and spinach. However both my original requests off the special menu were no longer available. I guess they were really good. Go early in the weekend and go often for a wonderful meal. Don't be in a rush or you will be frustrated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for musselsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/25/2014Mussels and fries were great. Other food just ok. There was only one other party in the restaurant and server got our order wrong and forgot to bring drinks we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic mussels3fordinnerDined on 9/24/2014I Have tried 6 of their styles of mussel buckets. Each one was very enjoyable, but loved the Hawaiian. You are greeted at the door and escorted to your table. They are engaging with you and helpful in making drink selections. The dishes were served at a nice pace. Loved the escargot. will be back. (already introduce the Mannequin Pis to my family)Special Features:
- Tiny Mussels, Otherwise GoodbcluckyVIPDined on 9/14/2014Not much more to say then that. Taste-wise the mussels my wife and I had were delicious. However, we could hardly see them, let alone find them at the bottom of the pot when they fell out of the shells.Special Features:
- Unique little gemFridayNightGirlDined on 9/14/2014Wonderful neighborhood spot with delicious food and warm, friendly, and most professional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date NightFranceDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I came here for our anniversary. The restaurant is cozy, and we loved the ambiance. Our waiter was great, and very knowledgable about the beer list as well as the menu. We both got beer recommendations and they were right on. Our food was fantastic, we will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Always great foodHoyaVIPDined on 9/13/2014The servers may change, but the food is consistently great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little gem hidden in a strip mall!YesyDined on 9/12/2014Everything is delicious at Mannequin Pis (pronounced "manacca peas"). Extensive mussel and Belgian beers menu. I recommend that you do your homework beforehand about Belgium beers, some of the staff is not that versed. You will love the food!Special Features:
- a little bit of BelgiumDianneDined on 8/31/2014Who would ever guess in a strip mall this lovely bit of Belgium! Charming atmosphere, attentive service, excellent food. Huge list of beers and ales. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, as alwaysOlneyresidentDined on 8/28/2014We're regulars, because it's worth it. It's small, maybe 25 tables max, so make a reservation. Specialty is mussels, many different styles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service with a smile please!!!OntheTownDined on 8/25/2014They really need to train their staff to be hosts in the restaurant and not just servers. They offered no additional suggestions if something from the menu was not available. They didn't give us much attention They hardly smiled until the last quarter of the meal was over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always enjoy their foodcbmmDined on 8/24/2014A great place for my family who enjoy mussels. They also have a great selection for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels and beers - Yum!roarie123Dined on 8/23/2014Consistently some of the best mussels here! And we love good Belgium beer, so we're pretty happy at this place. Looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- A hidden gemJenniferDined on 8/22/2014Just as you can't (shouldn't) judge a book by its cover...you shouldn't judge a restaurant by its strip mall. The food, beer, and wine selection are amazing. Our family made a meal of three pots of mussels, three different sausages, homemade bread...all amazing. Not a morsel left on our plates (or serving platters truth be told) when the waiters cleared our table .I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change of paceBaltdawgDined on 8/21/2014This was a refreshing dining experience. Food was very good. Started with mussel soup which was excellent, had the beef stew which to me was not stew in the pure sense as there were no vegetables but the meat was cooked well and the broth was rich and flavorful. Finally had some great Belgium chocolate fudge for desert. Definately will return.Special Features:
- going in the wrong directionpaulaMDined on 8/19/2014This restaurant has been going downhill. We had the usual mussels and pomme frites. The mussels were miniscule and the fries were no better than you would expect in a standard restaurant. Service was satisfactory but not great. I would no longer recommend this restaurant
- DLOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014We would have never found it without the help of friend who took us there but certainly worth it. From the outside nothing to draw you in but once in very pleasant decor. Wait staff was attentive and very helpful pointing out wine special as well as item on the menu Escargot was very good as was their beef stew. We noticed restaurant was full as we left so best make reservation just to make sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningBagsVIPDined on 8/16/2014The host, the waiter, the service, the food were all greatSpecial Features:
- Great FoodAnnF44Dined on 8/15/2014This little restaurant is a great find. Being small and quite busy on the Friday night we ate there we experienced a bit of a wait in between arriving, being seated, ordering and having the waiter return to check on our satisfaction but the food was excellent and each one in our party of four enjoyed their entrée selection. Though the restaurant is small and busy the noise level was not invasive. I definitely expect to return again, but probably on a different evening for smoother transitions between arriving and checking out. However, if you look forward to a leisurely meal with no concern for time any time is probably perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food! Main Waiter? Eh.FluffyManDined on 8/15/2014We specifically wanted to come to the restaurant, as the last time my partner's sister and her husband tried to dine there, their was a problem (not the restaurant's fault). The wait was justified, as the food was phenomenal. There were a few hitches. First, the restaurant was too cold. We were all shivering, including one of us who is perpetually warm. Second, while the secondary wait staff was attentive, our waiter was indifferent, and at times, inattentative. A primary example - we requested one beer, he brought the wrong one and seemed perturbed that we didn't want what he brought. Overall, a good meal. However, those little things make a difference.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French AttitudePartyOnGarthVIPDined on 8/13/2014The sausage appetizer is pretty good but a small portion, known for mussels with a variety of sauces. Overall good but not blown away. You have to call over a server for almost everything, all they want to do is take an order for an expensive beer.Special Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014We have eaten at this restaurant many times and never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Missing Mussels!DisappointedDined on 8/13/2014We ordered the Mussel Pot. Well over half of the mussel shells were empty. As well the mussels where quite overcooked; and, thus tough. We expected to find the missing mussels in the bottom of the pot; but, did not find any at all. The restaurant must be taking the mussels from the shells to use in appetizers, soups, etc. A lot of money to pay for empty mussel shells in a pot!
- musselsdorapDined on 8/13/2014I ate several times at Mannequin pis and always order the mussels but this time my guest and I had a lot of empty shells like 1/4 of my serving at $24.00 I expected better the service was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolracDined on 8/10/2014Mannequin pis is an excellent option for the cultural wasteland the is olney. This restaurant would do just fine in dc or Bethesda. I have dined there at least 4 times without incident. Go there, take your significant other, they will thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great mealbgiv3079Dined on 8/8/2014I love this place. The food is always good, classically prepared and simple. The wine list is not deep, but very good. The beer selection is incredible. We live close to this place, so it is our go-to for a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussel maniatbg22VIPDined on 8/6/2014We like the kilo of mussels. With all the options, you 're sure to find several that appeal to you. The leeks, onions, celery and sauces make every choice delicious and hearty. This time I chose the salmon, and my GF chose the mushroom. Both were superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnelieseAnnelieseDined on 8/5/2014It is a small restaurant and was very busy when we arrived -- had to wait a while to be seated --not very much staff but those there were efficient. I have been there several times and would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome GemCeciliaDined on 8/2/2014always a great meal. the offerings are good and the beer and wine selections are decent. a great neighborhood find nestled in the middle of olney. the food is consistently delicious and we enjoy the dessert options as well!Special Features:
- A Great Findluv2dineDined on 8/1/2014Our daughter treated us to Mannequin Pis via a Groupon. We had the gift for four months and just decided to go before it expired. We were not very impressed when we got to the restaurant because of the location (very small strip mall). When we entered, we were greeted with a smile and seated promptly. The food is outstanding, and our waiter, Chris was very attentive. We promised to return because there were so many wonderful dishes on the menu that we wanted to try. A big thanks to our daughter for this wonderful gift, and a big thanks to our waiter, Chris for making out "date night" special!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/1/2014Great food. The restaurant has been there for a very long time. Highly recommend reservations. Wish the restaurant was larger as the place is very small and tables very close to each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious But Tight SqueezestinkyDined on 7/31/2014Delicious wild boar sausage appetizer and main course of mussels and frites. Tables are very close to each other. The diner next to us had to stand and step out of the way when we left our table. The food outweighs the inconvenience though and we will return.Special Features: