Manhattan of La Jolla
7766 Fay Ave
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Manhattan of La Jolla
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://manhattanoflajolla.com/
- Phone: 8584590700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Happy Hour: Sunday - Friday: 4:30pm - 6:30pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: P.J. Macaluso
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details. You can book the whole restaurant or one side.
- Private Party Contact: Bill Wolf or Nancy O'Donnell 8584590700
- Entertainment: We offer live music Wednesdays from 7 pm to 10 pm
Thursdays from 7 pm to 10 pm, Fridays and Saturdays from 8 pm to 11 pm.
Wednesday nights its 'OPERA MEETS SINATRA' with Roman Palacios and featuring Tommy Gannon on piano. A must see!
Thursday thru Saturday nights its Tad Sisler, a world-class entertainer with outstanding vocals plus excellent musicianship on piano and keyboards. He offers outstanding vocals plus excellent musicianship on piano and keyboards with an authentic sound.
A word from Manhattan of La Jolla
Manhattan of La Jolla transports you to the best of New York via the cozy, upscale village of La Jolla. Located in the Empress Hotel on Fay Avenue, it is an elegant, casual and classy place where you would expect to see Old Blue Eyes or Danny Ocean romancing a beautiful woman while she sips her Cosmo over dinner. With quality Italian charm, Manhattan offers classic cocktails that get you into that New York swing--and the entrees are as good as it gets. Liberal olive oil, garlic, lemon and pepper complement the Zagat Award winning veal chop, steaks and seafood. Signature scampi, classic cannelloni, pasta al dente, and other succulent dishes, plus professional service and decor make this a terrific spot for a romantic dinner or mixing business and pleasure. Manhattan in La Jolla gets you the best of both worlds. Manhattan is an award winning La Jolla favorite, celebrating its 25th year.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Manhattan of La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (40)romantic (33)neighborhood gem (26)vibrant bar scene (16)fit for foodies (14)good for groups (14)notable wine list (14)late-night find (7)hot spot (6)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Who knew this place has been around for 38 years? What a truly fantastic dining experience! And I thought I knew all that La Jolla had to offer. Everything from the bread to the seafood, pasta, and steaks was amazing!Special Features:
- Outstanding as UsualPleasedDined on 9/13/2014Have been coming to the Manhattan since 1989. Outstanding food and service. Very professional staff. Great place to bring friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed La JollanalohasdVIPDined on 9/6/2014Was once a favorite. Last dinner experience was very poor. Lettuce in the Cesar salad was wilted and soggy, Chilean Sea Bass special was served actually below room temperature and the citrus sauce was more like a sweet marmalade. Carrot side was extra sweet, almost like a desert. Waiter apparently had too many tables as we seldom saw him, poured our own wine had to send the buss boy to locate him. Has really gone down hill. Unlikely to return.
- MarapieDined on 8/29/2014Love this place! Have been coming for years. Wonderful food and ambiance .Special Features:
- Manhattan of La JollaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014This is a beautiful, old style restaurant--comfy booths, red roses on tables, with great service. The food was inconsistent which made it disappointing. The shrimp in the shrimp cocktail was warm, not chilled. Caprese salad was very good, as was the Lobster Bisque. Fresh bread was good. I ordered the special-Chilean Sea Bass with a citrus sauce that was not very good. My husband had a steak that he ordered cooked medium, but it came out rare. The Gnocchi's were very good, but the mixed vegetables were greasy. We liked the setting and ambiance, but the food is not worth going back for :-(Special Features:
- Manhattan in LJOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Had dinner here Sat night. Limited seafood selections. H/b and I both got salmon. Mine came with overcooked veggies in a very sweet sauce. His came with nondescript salad. Ate in annex part and unable to hear the live music. Cheesecake was excellent, tiramisu about 7/10. Service was outstanding, everything else unremarkable for the money.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014good food(table side Caesar was perfect flavor) good service, piano player was great, played request and wished my partner happy birthday. Very smooth night from the door to last cocktail at the barSpecial Features:
- Delfish n classyPickyKatDined on 8/16/2014Cannelloni was to die for. Veal francaise was amazing made to perfection. Halibut was cooked just right and flavor with light sauce was great. Wish I had room to try the filet mignon and mashed potatoes. The burratta cheese salad was super fresh and the wine was icing on the cake. I will go back.Special Features:
- FabulousRussandJennDined on 8/9/2014This was my fourth or fifth visit to Manhattan and they just keep getting better. I don't know of a better ambiance in any La Jolla restaurant, this place is wonderful. The piano bar on the weekends makes for an even better experience, I think I could spend an entire evening at Manhattan. Just try it, you'll love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special PlacePleasedDined on 8/3/2014Our favorite restaurant in San Diego-- the kind of food, service, and friendly, personalized atmosphere that is so hard to find anymore. Recommend highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- date nightlongoverduedatenightDined on 7/26/2014We had an amazing time. The food was excellent and the service was excellent. Everything was above and beyond in service and quality of food. The atmosphere was very romantic yet laid back. The piano was a great touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding-- As UsualPleasedDined on 7/25/2014Hosted dinner for special friends and we all had a wonderful experience. Both the service and the food were outstanding, as usual. The owners and the staff always make you feel so welcome. Ran into several friends during the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Specials are SpecialcrmacvVIPDined on 7/21/2014Just a very fine restaurant for almost any occasion. The Specials are always a delight, and the drinks and wine are always well poured. Near the tourist portion of La Jolla, but this is no tourist restaurant. It is my first choice in La Jolla.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- White table cloths and very louddougVIPDined on 7/19/2014A venerable older restaurant with good service and very loud. Not a place to have an intimate dinner.Special Features:
- First time visitOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/12/2014Resturant quite noisy. Food was acceptable. Not sure I would return.
- Great quality food1expensivetasteDined on 7/12/2014Love this. The place ain't cheap but it's well worth it. Had one of the best fillet mignon ever. Live music and great wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top ItaliandineratlargeDined on 7/11/2014Outstanding old school restaurant with the best veal dishes. Marsala, Saltimbocca, Picatta and veal chops are all on the menu. Attentive elegant service.Good wine list. Homemade meatballs. Great pasta sauces. Live music. Tiramisu and creme brulee are some of the top dessert CHOICES.Well worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014The food was excellent. I had the veal chop. The atmosphere was lacking, possibly because it appeared to be a slow night. The service was good. I was in La Jolla with a good friend and we each brought our 30 year old sons on a golf trip. The other restaurants we went to had younger more vibrant crowds.Special Features:
- Old world Italian diningOpentable23VIPDined on 7/3/2014Generous servings of classic style Italian food, in addition to fresh fish, salads and tempting desserts. Not a particularly young crowd, but the place has a loyal following. Live music in the bar certain nights. Very professional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School RestaurantFanoftheLadyBirdDined on 6/23/2014This place was a pretty, romantic spot with lots of dark wood, waiters in tuxedos, and an "old school" menu. The music is supposed to be good, but on our visit, there was none - just Wheel of Fortune on the bar TV, which I could see from my seat at a booth in the other dining room. Probably a good choice, since we were probably the youngest patrons there - and we are in our fifties. My husband had the veal chop and he said it was excellent. I had the filet, which was good, but it was so smothered in garlic that it was overwhelming. I LOVE garlic, and it was too much even for me. We had a nice evening, but I don't think I'd go back. This restaurant either needs to "liven up" the vibe a little or just go all out with the Rat Pack theme.Special Features:
- OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/23/2014I came here for dinner with my brother. I really enjoyed my pasta and his steak was okay. The service was a bit slow and forgetful. My brother didn't originally get the potatoes that were supposed to come with his steak and had to ask for them. He also ordered bleu cheese melted on top, the server seemed reluctant to fulfill this request but said he would do it. When his steak came out there was no bleu cheese. Overall, this place is okay, I think they need more servers. It was also really dark in the restaurant which I don't really like.
- JimPleasedDined on 6/21/2014Celebrated our 45th wedding anniversary on Saturday at our favorite restaurant, the Manhattan. Food and service were outstanding. The owner and staff always make you feel welcome and at home. Have been coming to the Manhattan for 25 years. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoppiePoppieVIPDined on 6/20/2014Still best table side Caesar Salad around. Been coming here for 40 years and never disappointed. Their lamb chops and veal chops are worth traveling long distances to enjoy. While not on the beach in LaJolla, the speakeasy feel of the restaurant and steak house ambiance is perfect. We loved it and our Dallas friends we brought also loved it and want to include it on all their future trips.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The way it should beOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/16/2014It's so nice to be able to eat good food and have a conversation with the person you are with, I love table side service and the atmosphere. Relaxing, enjoyable and fun.Special Features:
- Great food, service, and fun.LiveToEatDined on 6/14/2014Pasta is good, dinner salad was great, main course of Chilean Sea Bass (special of the night) was perfect. Would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We meal.KalihiDined on 6/9/2014I would recommend the manhattan of la Jolla for its wonderful food and service. .We liked what they have done to update the restaurant. The wine menu is very good. It was great to have dinner at a restaurant were you could talk because the noise level was very low. We enjoyed our evening at this restaurant and look forward to returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningRussandJennDined on 6/7/2014This was my second visit to Manhattan and they did not disappoint. The first time I sat in the front area out by the bar, loved the atmosphere and thought that was the best place to be. The second time I sat in the back and realized that no matter where you sit, this place is great. The food was incredible, and I have to recommend trying any one of the pasta dishes, they are the most reasonably priced and you can't find better pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 220 reviews are from the Manhattan of La Jolla reviews archive.
- OUR FAVORITEFoodieVIPDined on 5/17/2014We brought Italian friends here from AZ with us and they loved it. Everything on the menu is great but most notable is the Cesar Salad prepared table side and the home made Cannelloni. This is the best Cannelloni IN THE WORLD. Service is excellent, prices are excellent and the wine list is very nice. If you want an excellent Italian dinner in La Jolla this is the place to go.Special Features:
- Wonderful as UsualPleasedDined on 5/17/2014Outstanding food and service. You always feel like a welcome guest. Wonderful personal touch.Special Features:
- Great Italian meal!vmskibunnyDined on 5/11/2014Love this place! From the waiters in black suits to the ceasar salad to the shrimp fra diavolo to the tiramisu. All delish!Special Features:
- NOISY, expensive!RqtguruDined on 5/10/2014Extremely expensive for ala cart. Don't go if you want to carry on conversation. Almost a bar atmosphere for fine dining! Extremely disappointed.
- Amazing placearturoVIPDined on 4/23/2014I love the Manhattan of la Jolla, live music and excellent food!Special Features:
- Romantic spot with a piano barIvanaDined on 4/23/2014My boyfriend took me to Manattan's for a date night. He knows how much I enjoy those 'old school' piano bars with a New Yorkesh athmosphere and old school boots. This place was totally like that!! Great food and great staff as well. Hightly recommended :).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale ItalianKimoramaDined on 4/11/2014Dined here with my husband and another couple and enjoyed our meal very much. The food is very good in moderate portions, my husband's steak came precooked from the kitchen, then the waiter flambéd it at the table to finish - nice touch! My girlfriend and I both opted for the day's special fish dish - which was meaty, but perfectly cooked and very tasty. Wine list was nice and the ambiance was perfect in the back room, away from the live music so we could enjoy conversation with our friends. We were happy to see the restaurant was crowded - always a good sign when you are new to a restaurant and not sure of its Yelp reviews! Overall, a very nice dinner experience, but nothing extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaks, veal chops,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/11/2014Great steaks, veal chops, and table side service...Special Features:
- A wonderful dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/8/2014A wonderful dining experience. Waiter, "Polo" helped make it a evening to remember.Special Features:
- Manhattan is one of La Jolla'sCHASDined on 4/5/2014Manhattan is one of La Jolla's immutable objects. Blessed to have one of the best wait-staffs in town, service is a consistent plus. There is no better Caesar Salad in Southern California, and the classic Italian dishes are assured to please. The wine list is not what brings people back time and again, and this is not the place for nouvelle cuisine. That said, the food and the mood of the place will never disappoint if a predictable, stable menu and familiar faces are sources of your dining pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always feel specialOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/4/2014This is the second year in a row we've gone to Manhattan's for our anniversary. This year was just as special as the first. Great service, great food! The staff was extremely attentive to our special day by making sure "our song" played at the exact moment requested. The attention to detail followed to the end of the evening by the valet. The restaurant cued the valet when our bill was paid, so the car was waiting for us. We wished we lived in the area so we could frequent more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTICOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/29/2014The waitstaff, excellent, food fabulous , hope to come here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five star experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2014Delicious italian food with an authentic and romantic atmosphere. Would go back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.