Manhattan of La Jolla
7766 Fay Ave
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Manhattan of La Jolla
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://manhattanoflajolla.com/
- Phone: (858) 459-0700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Happy Hour: Sunday - Friday: 4:30pm - 6:30pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details. The Garden Room at Manhattan seats up to 60 people. Manhattan of La Jolla can seat up to 120 and can be bought out for the evening.
- Private Party Contact: Bill Wolf or Nancy O'Donnell 8584590700x
- Entertainment: We offer live music Wednesdays from 7 pm to 10 pm
Thursdays from 7 pm to 10 pm, Fridays and Saturdays from 8 pm to 11 pm.
Wednesday nights its 'OPERA MEETS SINATRA' with Roman Palacios and featuring Tommy Gannon on piano. A must see!
Thursday thru Saturday nights its Tad Sisler, a world-class entertainer with outstanding vocals plus excellent musicianship on piano and keyboards. He offers outstanding vocals plus excellent musicianship on piano and keyboards with an authentic sound.
A word from Manhattan of La Jolla
Manhattan of La Jolla transports you to the best of New York via the cozy, upscale village of La Jolla. Located in the Empress Hotel on Fay Avenue, it is an elegant, casual and classy place where you would expect to see Old Blue Eyes or Danny Ocean romancing a beautiful woman while she sips her Cosmo over dinner. With quality Italian charm, Manhattan offers classic cocktails that get you into that New York swing--and the entrees are as good as it gets. Liberal olive oil, garlic, lemon and pepper complement the Zagat Award winning veal chop, steaks and seafood. Signature scampi, classic cannelloni, pasta al dente, and other succulent dishes, plus professional service and decor make this a terrific spot for a romantic dinner or mixing business and pleasure. Manhattan in La Jolla gets you the best of both worlds. Manhattan is an award winning La Jolla favorite, celebrating its 25th year.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Manhattan of La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (37)romantic (34)neighborhood gem (22)fit for foodies (20)good for groups (18)vibrant bar scene (15)notable wine list (12)late-night find (6)hot spot (6)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Love this hidden gemHapisdgalDined on 11/14/2014If you like Frank Sinatra, piano music, romantic settings, old school waiters, Cesar salad made tableside and amazing lobster ravioli, you must try Manhatten of La Jolla! I am always surprised that so few people know about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and SongPeterCVIPDined on 11/12/2014Roman the singer was great including a few new songs but not too many. Server Ara Scalini still on top of his game.Special Features:
- Stepping back in timeIvgenesqDined on 11/7/2014Love everything about this place. The food is great. Service impeccable. Ambiance is fun. Great people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Apple Dining In La JollaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/7/2014Great local restaurant with a varied Italian menu with a classy romantic interior, good food and excellent attention to service. Happy to have this choice restaurant close to home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- willbebackDined on 11/6/2014Very nice place recommended by our hotel. The food was very good, nice wine selection. A little loud when the piano started to play. Nice for social gatherings a little too loud for a business meeting.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014I have patronized this gem many times and have never been disappointed in the food or service. When we have a special occasion or entertaining out of town guests this is the place to go.Special Features:
- airlawDined on 10/30/2014Consistently fine food, attentive and friendly staff. The best caesar salad outside my home.Special Features:
- Dinner for TwoOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/25/2014Place was great, I would recommend a reservation, and ask for the main room with the Piano.. Dinner was ok. nothing spectacular. Service was good.
- DisappointingGastronomeDined on 10/24/2014They seem to favor neighborhood regulars to first-timers. Steak ordered medium came back RARE. Twice. Other steak ordered medium came back well. Bad service, too. Special occasion ruined.
- We had a great time!quiltingcandyDined on 10/22/2014We went to celebrate our daughter's 30th birthday. The food was very good. The service was excellent. We enjoyed the performer for the evening. A truly enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- GREAT RESTAURANT FOR ANNIVERSARYBroadwayDude2016Dined on 10/18/2014My girlfriend and I went to this restaurant for our fur year anniversary, and needless to say, we were extremely satisfied with this place. The decor and ambiance of the restaurant really make you feel like you are enjoying a 5-star restaurant in NYC. The piano lounge adds to the feel of the restaurant and really adds to the experience you get from eating here. The service was extraordinary and the food was delicious beyond anything i've had before. If you are looking for a romantic evening or if you're looking for a beautiful place to celebrate a special occasion, look no further than this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service, Average FoodLookingUpDined on 10/3/2014We found this restaurant online among the many great restaurants in the La Jolla area while celebrating our 22nd wedding anniversary. We arrived 15 minutes early, but they had our booth ready when we arrived. The service from the time we arrived to leaving was EXCELLENT. We started with a bottle of wine and an appetizer. I feel the prices were a bit high for the appetizer at $20+ for a very small portion. For our main coarse, we chose the Ribeye and a scallop pasta dish. I cook a lot of steak so I may be a bit picky on steak. I ordered med rare. The steak was 50% fat, burnt on the outside and rare on the inside. The scallops in the pasta were perfect. Complimentary cheese cake for desert! All in all, the event was a success!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not happyJeanneLVIPDined on 10/2/2014We were very disappointed in this restaurant. The service was terrible! The waiter never came back to ask how our food was until we were almost finished. He finally asked me while my husband was gone to the restroom and I said fine because it was too late! When my husband came back he told the waiter about how bad the chicken was he argued that I said it was fine! It was too late to fix it! We just wanted to leave!Special Features:
- Dedevic44Dined on 9/29/2014Outstanding food. Ambience and service. Always dine here when inland Jolla. Wonderful restaurantSpecial Features:
- Highly recommend.LasVegasTravelerDined on 9/23/2014Food, service and ambience were fantastic. The veal dishes we had were flavorful and the house salad with the in-house made blue cheese dressing was outstanding. Extensive wine list, but unfortunately for us we aren’t wine drinkers. The cheesecake was delicious. Service is unswerving and we rarely had to ask for anything, specially refilling our beverages. Staff is friendly and accommodating. All three of us agreed, without question we would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014Alway great! Good music! Meat cooked to perfection, and service couldn't be better!Special Features:
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Who knew this place has been around for 38 years? What a truly fantastic dining experience! And I thought I knew all that La Jolla had to offer. Everything from the bread to the seafood, pasta, and steaks was amazing!Special Features:
- Outstanding as UsualPleasedDined on 9/13/2014Have been coming to the Manhattan since 1989. Outstanding food and service. Very professional staff. Great place to bring friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed La JollanalohasdVIPDined on 9/6/2014Was once a favorite. Last dinner experience was very poor. Lettuce in the Cesar salad was wilted and soggy, Chilean Sea Bass special was served actually below room temperature and the citrus sauce was more like a sweet marmalade. Carrot side was extra sweet, almost like a desert. Waiter apparently had too many tables as we seldom saw him, poured our own wine had to send the buss boy to locate him. Has really gone down hill. Unlikely to return.
- MarapieDined on 8/29/2014Love this place! Have been coming for years. Wonderful food and ambiance .Special Features:
- Manhattan of La JollaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014This is a beautiful, old style restaurant--comfy booths, red roses on tables, with great service. The food was inconsistent which made it disappointing. The shrimp in the shrimp cocktail was warm, not chilled. Caprese salad was very good, as was the Lobster Bisque. Fresh bread was good. I ordered the special-Chilean Sea Bass with a citrus sauce that was not very good. My husband had a steak that he ordered cooked medium, but it came out rare. The Gnocchi's were very good, but the mixed vegetables were greasy. We liked the setting and ambiance, but the food is not worth going back for :-(Special Features:
- Manhattan in LJOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Had dinner here Sat night. Limited seafood selections. H/b and I both got salmon. Mine came with overcooked veggies in a very sweet sauce. His came with nondescript salad. Ate in annex part and unable to hear the live music. Cheesecake was excellent, tiramisu about 7/10. Service was outstanding, everything else unremarkable for the money.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014good food(table side Caesar was perfect flavor) good service, piano player was great, played request and wished my partner happy birthday. Very smooth night from the door to last cocktail at the barSpecial Features:
- Delfish n classyPickyKatDined on 8/16/2014Cannelloni was to die for. Veal francaise was amazing made to perfection. Halibut was cooked just right and flavor with light sauce was great. Wish I had room to try the filet mignon and mashed potatoes. The burratta cheese salad was super fresh and the wine was icing on the cake. I will go back.Special Features:
- FabulousRussandJennDined on 8/9/2014This was my fourth or fifth visit to Manhattan and they just keep getting better. I don't know of a better ambiance in any La Jolla restaurant, this place is wonderful. The piano bar on the weekends makes for an even better experience, I think I could spend an entire evening at Manhattan. Just try it, you'll love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special PlacePleasedDined on 8/3/2014Our favorite restaurant in San Diego-- the kind of food, service, and friendly, personalized atmosphere that is so hard to find anymore. Recommend highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- date nightlongoverduedatenightDined on 7/26/2014We had an amazing time. The food was excellent and the service was excellent. Everything was above and beyond in service and quality of food. The atmosphere was very romantic yet laid back. The piano was a great touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding-- As UsualPleasedDined on 7/25/2014Hosted dinner for special friends and we all had a wonderful experience. Both the service and the food were outstanding, as usual. The owners and the staff always make you feel so welcome. Ran into several friends during the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 235 reviews are from the Manhattan of La Jolla reviews archive.
- The Specials are SpecialcrmacvVIPDined on 7/21/2014Just a very fine restaurant for almost any occasion. The Specials are always a delight, and the drinks and wine are always well poured. Near the tourist portion of La Jolla, but this is no tourist restaurant. It is my first choice in La Jolla.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- White table cloths and very louddougVIPDined on 7/19/2014A venerable older restaurant with good service and very loud. Not a place to have an intimate dinner.Special Features:
- First time visitOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/12/2014Resturant quite noisy. Food was acceptable. Not sure I would return.
- Great quality food1expensivetasteDined on 7/12/2014Love this. The place ain't cheap but it's well worth it. Had one of the best fillet mignon ever. Live music and great wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top ItaliandineratlargeDined on 7/11/2014Outstanding old school restaurant with the best veal dishes. Marsala, Saltimbocca, Picatta and veal chops are all on the menu. Attentive elegant service.Good wine list. Homemade meatballs. Great pasta sauces. Live music. Tiramisu and creme brulee are some of the top dessert CHOICES.Well worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014The food was excellent. I had the veal chop. The atmosphere was lacking, possibly because it appeared to be a slow night. The service was good. I was in La Jolla with a good friend and we each brought our 30 year old sons on a golf trip. The other restaurants we went to had younger more vibrant crowds.Special Features:
- Old world Italian diningOpentable23VIPDined on 7/3/2014Generous servings of classic style Italian food, in addition to fresh fish, salads and tempting desserts. Not a particularly young crowd, but the place has a loyal following. Live music in the bar certain nights. Very professional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School RestaurantFanoftheLadyBirdDined on 6/23/2014This place was a pretty, romantic spot with lots of dark wood, waiters in tuxedos, and an "old school" menu. The music is supposed to be good, but on our visit, there was none - just Wheel of Fortune on the bar TV, which I could see from my seat at a booth in the other dining room. Probably a good choice, since we were probably the youngest patrons there - and we are in our fifties. My husband had the veal chop and he said it was excellent. I had the filet, which was good, but it was so smothered in garlic that it was overwhelming. I LOVE garlic, and it was too much even for me. We had a nice evening, but I don't think I'd go back. This restaurant either needs to "liven up" the vibe a little or just go all out with the Rat Pack theme.Special Features:
- OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/23/2014I came here for dinner with my brother. I really enjoyed my pasta and his steak was okay. The service was a bit slow and forgetful. My brother didn't originally get the potatoes that were supposed to come with his steak and had to ask for them. He also ordered bleu cheese melted on top, the server seemed reluctant to fulfill this request but said he would do it. When his steak came out there was no bleu cheese. Overall, this place is okay, I think they need more servers. It was also really dark in the restaurant which I don't really like.
- JimPleasedDined on 6/21/2014Celebrated our 45th wedding anniversary on Saturday at our favorite restaurant, the Manhattan. Food and service were outstanding. The owner and staff always make you feel welcome and at home. Have been coming to the Manhattan for 25 years. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoppiePoppieVIPDined on 6/20/2014Still best table side Caesar Salad around. Been coming here for 40 years and never disappointed. Their lamb chops and veal chops are worth traveling long distances to enjoy. While not on the beach in LaJolla, the speakeasy feel of the restaurant and steak house ambiance is perfect. We loved it and our Dallas friends we brought also loved it and want to include it on all their future trips.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The way it should beOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/16/2014It's so nice to be able to eat good food and have a conversation with the person you are with, I love table side service and the atmosphere. Relaxing, enjoyable and fun.Special Features: