218- 8th Ave SW
Calgary, AB T2P 1B5Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mangoshiva.com/
- Phone: 4032901644
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5.00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Contemporary Indian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Mango Shiva offers unique options for your office event or luncheon. Have Mango Shiva deliver its famous buffet to your office whether its 10 people or 100!
- Cross Street: Between 1st and 2nd Street SW accross from Flames Central
- Public Transit: From the 7th avenue and 3rd street C-Train station Mango Shiva is one south and 1 and a half blocks east. Half way between 100 and 200 block 8th(Stephen) avenue on the north side of the street.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is available on Stephen Avenue and adjacent streets at no charge after 6pm daily. The Bow parkade (2nd St & 7th Ave) and Bankers Hall parkade (3rd St & 9th Ave) are also in close proximity. Public Transit Stops: From the 7th avenue and 3rd street C-Train station Mango Shiva is one block south and 1 and a half blocks east. Half way between 100 and 200 block 8th (Stephen) avenue, on the north side of the street.
A word from Mango Shiva
: Welcome to Mango Shiva - Indian Kitchen & Bar Ignite senses. Destroy Inhibitions. Modern Indian cuisine in a stunning and inspiring room, located in the heart of downtown Calgary, on historic Stephen Avenue. Enjoy a modern take on the exotic cuisines of India. Try the exotic flavors of our Lunch Buffet daily Monday to Friday. Enjoy sensuous dining every night, or relax to the uplifting lounge ambiance with a luxurious cocktail late Fridays and Saturdays. Call (403)966-0515, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, to inquire about office lunch catering or hosting your next event.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mango Shiva reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (73)good for groups (58)fit for foodies (57)special occasion (40)romantic (25)great for outdoor dining (21)hot spot (21)neighborhood gem (17)great for brunch (12)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (7)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great fooddougDined on 9/13/2014Excellent food and a fun atmosphere. Lemongrass Braised Beef Ribs where spicy but the right kind of spice, full of flavour. The mint chutney served with the Pakoras stole the show! Will definitely be back to make my way through the menu.Special Features:
- Always delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014I always enjoy Mango Shiva because there is a great selection of vegetarian food available for me. But, I do wish they always had a staple DAHL dish offered?!?Special Features:
- No point in making reservationDinerDined on 9/9/2014Was given a table - next to the door, in an very high traffic area. In fact the original table given to us was moved for bigger group. Very disappointing .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodlm86Dined on 9/6/2014A modern twist on Indian Cuisine. The restaurant is modern and has a nice feel. Have been coming to this restaurant quite frequently for the last two years. They have recently updated the menu with more variety. Would definitely recommend this restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sexy spaceDeegirlDined on 9/6/2014Wonderfully decorated, we went there for our wedding reception. We asked for a cozy spot so our daughter who is 6 months would have room. We were seated at the front in the cozy couches. It was perfect for us and our daughter. The food was delicious, and the staff made sure our marriage dinner was special by giving us complimentary champagne. You get lots of food and the portions are more than enough, also the cool interior with it's exotic, modern, sexy hip vibe will entice you to dine for hours. I will be going back for sure!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but noisyAstroHikerDined on 9/5/2014A good place for lunch with friends. The buffet is a great idea especially if you want to try a variety of foods. And you can be in and out quickly as you don't have to order. But we found the restaurant to be very noisy. I'm not sure if it is any worse than other downtown spots over the noon hour. Perhaps next time I go , I'll go off the peak hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Not great servicenopeDined on 9/5/2014I always enjoy mango Shiva's food. They have a fantastic lunch Buffet and I would say the food is some of the best in the city. The service is usually fairly poor though. We had to wait for anyone to come by and take our drink and food order, then to pay, no servers were to be found (there was a line-up at the cash register, so it looks like all of the servers must have left the restaurant at the same time... Go for the food, not for the service.Special Features:
- Many better ndian restaurants8thereDined on 8/25/2014We visited on a weekday evening. The service was very, very slow. To compound it, a few times the waitress came by to say that our food would be out "in a couple of minutes". It wasn't. When the food did arrive, it was generally good. The butter chicken sauce was delicious, but there were bones in the "boneless" chicken. The prices were higher than other comparable Indian restaurants.
- Good Food, Slow ServiceHu55hDined on 8/25/2014Food was pretty good, good appetizers, and mains, yet service was pretty slow, waiter consistently forgot about our drinks.Special Features:
- DismalDisapointedDined on 8/22/2014My 12:30 reservation was irrelevant because the hostess essentially ignored the entire line-up.
- Business lunchHakimDined on 8/21/2014It was pleasant and food was appropriate. Wasn't too noisy. Negotiating through rows of chairs to food was at times tricky.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnimpressedDineoutYYCVIPDined on 8/20/2014I was incredibly disappointed with my last experience at Mango Shiva. Our servers did not communicate with each other - after one took our order, another came to take our order again. The food took over half an hour, which was surprising because it was 2 p.m., there was one other patron in the restaurant and we only ordered the butter chicken naacos and flatbread. Once we finished eating, the manager on duty cleared our used dishes and asked if we wanted to take our leftovers, which we did. With his hands full, he was unable to take it at that moment. One of the servers then took the leftover flatbread, and failed to bring it back boxed up. After waiting 5 minutes, we asked her, and she informed us that she already disposed of it.
- Disappointed Long-Time CustomerGomanVIPDined on 8/15/2014Will have to give Mango Shiva a rest for a while. Service was stunningly poor on most recent visit - despite repeated opportunities to correct the situation.
- 15August2014Dined on 8/14/2014Buffet had great variety, there was a vegetarian in the group that enjoyed her selection. Naan bread was fresh and hot, chai tea was refillable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch Buffet - Better than EverscaricariDined on 8/14/2014I haven't been to Mango Shiva for a while so I was shocked by how busy it was during the lunch hour. Shocked until I tasted the food, it has always been good but now it is very good to outstanding. Great value for lunch plus you can be out in an hour if you wish.Special Features:
- marmarDined on 8/13/2014This was my third visit to Mango Shiva and it will definately not be my last. The food is delicious. There is something there for everyone. Fresh, well stoked and very good variety. Haven't had or heard of a bad experience yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Good Indian fusion food as usual. Service wasn't as good as I've seen before, but still good! Great mingling of flavorsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!MusteatFoodDined on 8/8/2014The food was beautiful and tasted great. Our server was attentive and made the experience that much more special. If Indian cuisine is something you enjoy, this restaurant will do the trick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Best indian food, our 1st choice for lunch in downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to end dayhard2plzDined on 7/27/2014we found everything to be wonderful. Food great, service was above and beyond.......they were very quiet for a sunday eve, so hopefully just as committed when busy.Special Features:
- Modern East Indian FoodWCRCDined on 7/24/2014Great place for some classic east indian food, but toned down for the more bland western pallet. Overall it was tasty, but I didn't understand why Roti and Naan were not unlimited accompaniments to the meal. All other East Indian restaurants I've been to do not charge additional for these starchy staples.Special Features:
- Good buffetChrisDined on 7/23/2014Food is always good quality, busy at lunchtime so get there early or make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it used to benot2pickyDined on 7/21/2014I hadn't been to Mango Shiva for several years and I must say both the quality of food and the service have declined. The menu offered several types of Indian beer, but they didn't actually have any in stock. The curry bowls, which used to be great, seemed kind of bland and mediocre. And our waiter pretty much ignored us most of the night. We won't be going back.
- consistently good food and serviceHelenM89Dined on 7/18/2014My partners first time experience with mango shiva and he loved it. I have been a few times and find the food to be delicious and the service to be perfect- not always lurking in the background but not waiting twenty mins to order. We will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good!EpioneDined on 7/18/2014The food here is always delicious and the staff friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good; restaurant busyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/17/2014we all had the buffet, which was a great way to try different foods. everyone went back for seconds of their favorites. as a group of 7, the buffet helped us to eat our lunch and get back to work in a timely manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014Excellent food.Nice hospitality.Great naan's,something i like it.Special Features:
- DiscriminationShockedDined on 7/10/2014My friend and I of African Canadian decent were treated very poorly. My friend got there earlier than me and approached the host at the entrance (East Indian gentleman), ignored her and started attending to other (Caucasian) patrons lined up behind her. After we got seated and were getting food from the buffet, the kitchen staff that were replenishing the buffet with fresh food were giving both of us very uncomfortable rude stares. We were extremely uncomfortable and surprised by this reception. The waitresses (all Caucasian) we're very nice and pleasant. We will not be returning to this restaurant at all.Special Features:
- lunch is overdisappointedDined on 7/7/2014The food was good and the buffet is a great way to go. However, the service is worse than ever. We were put into a crowded area when there were lots of other seats. And the waitress rushed us out at the end. It was obvious that she really wanted to get off shift clean up lunch and close. She cleared all of my plates, including water when my guest was still eating. Terrible watiress manners. Not my favorite for lunch any longer.Special Features:
- Buffet is good, a la carte not soItalianfoodloverDined on 6/30/2014I've usually gone there for buffer and have no complaints, however, went on Monday and there was no buffet. We ordered three dishes as there was three people and two dishes came and the third never did. So when we asked they said they were out and forgot to tell us. No compensation or nothing, bad service, bad attitude. Stick to the buffet only.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/24/2014The food is amazing as always and the Fenugreek dishes are unreal. Love the $5 happy hour food and drink specials!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014Overall food was very good and tasty. Deserts could use less sugar.Special Features:
- Worst Service EverFoodSnobDined on 6/20/2014I went for the lunch buffet after raving to a friend about it and was embarrassed by how poor our experience was after my clearly over enthusiastic review to her. We waited for over 10 minutes to get our drinks ordered, and that was only when I went to the hostess and asked if we had a server at all. Then we went and got our food, and were half way through our meals before our drinks even came. Not a single thing was offered to make our experience better, and I will 100% NEVER be back.Special Features:
- Great lunchRamp2014Dined on 6/20/2014Excellent buffet! The food is fresh and tastes great! One of my favorite places for a downtown lunch during the week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing and delicious dishes!MunchkinDined on 6/18/2014We asked Neil to bring the food for 9 of us - appetizers, main dishes - they were all absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Customer Service and Foodfun2eatspicyDined on 6/14/2014Customer service was excellent. The staff responded to our needs in a timely manner. We were seated on arrival and were made very comfortable. The food was great! I am not a huge fan of very spicy foods but the taste was sumptuous. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Mango shivaJummaKhanDined on 6/13/2014Excellent place for lunch and supper. Nice variety of South east Asian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent buffetParentsOnTheLooseDined on 6/13/2014Friday buffet was great. Best to book a reservation and get here at 1130 before the restaurant gets packed. Very good selection of buffet items and I always enjoy the rice pudding. Its gets very noisy here, yes, but it's to be expected for an Indian lunch buffet situated in the heart of Stephen Avenue. I'll be back.Special Features:
- Very tastySGYYCDined on 6/9/2014The vegetarian thali was really good. Chefs selection of curries plus salad, raita and pickles fragrant and flavorful. The ginger lemonade was also excellent with cracked pepper to add a bit more spice. My companion had the goat curry and loved it. The service was a bit off - we were ignored for quite a while while our server had an extended conversation at another table. Otherwise a great experience.Special Features:
- FrankFrankDined on 6/8/2014We have not been toMango Shiva for a few years. We have never been disapointed in th epast. This time, my wife and I found the food just great. Not greasy or deep fried. It was reasonably spicy, which we like. The service and friendliness of the staff were superb. We would recommend it to anyone, even those who require gluten free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.