218- 8th Ave SW
Calgary, AB T2P 1B5Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mangoshiva.com/
- Phone: 4032901644
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5.00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Contemporary Indian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Mango Shiva offers unique options for your office event or luncheon. Have Mango Shiva deliver its famous buffet to your office whether its 10 people or 100!
- Cross Street: Between 1st and 2nd Street SW accross from Flames Central
- Public Transit: From the 7th avenue and 3rd street C-Train station Mango Shiva is one south and 1 and a half blocks east. Half way between 100 and 200 block 8th(Stephen) avenue on the north side of the street.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is available on Stephen Avenue and adjacent streets at no charge after 6pm daily. The Bow parkade (2nd St & 7th Ave) and Bankers Hall parkade (3rd St & 9th Ave) are also in close proximity. Public Transit Stops: From the 7th avenue and 3rd street C-Train station Mango Shiva is one block south and 1 and a half blocks east. Half way between 100 and 200 block 8th (Stephen) avenue, on the north side of the street.
A word from Mango Shiva
: Welcome to Mango Shiva - Indian Kitchen & Bar Ignite senses. Destroy Inhibitions. Modern Indian cuisine in a stunning and inspiring room, located in the heart of downtown Calgary, on historic Stephen Avenue. Enjoy a modern take on the exotic cuisines of India. Try the exotic flavors of our Lunch Buffet daily Monday to Friday. Enjoy sensuous dining every night, or relax to the uplifting lounge ambiance with a luxurious cocktail late Fridays and Saturdays. Call (403)966-0515, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, to inquire about office lunch catering or hosting your next event.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mango Shiva reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (59)good for groups (49)fit for foodies (46)special occasion (30)romantic (19)hot spot (18)great for outdoor dining (16)neighborhood gem (14)great for brunch (10)late-night find (7)notable wine list (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Birthday DinnerMoonflowerDined on 10/19/2014Visited Mango Shiva for my 25th birthday with a group of friends. Most of us had never been here before and really enjoyed it. Although the food is on the expensive side, it is certainly worth it and very tasty! I love the lamb kebab burgers.. Getting hungry thinking about it now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I love eating at mango shiva the best Indo-European fusion food. My favorite is mutton kebab and I wish it was served more often.Special Features:
- Quality foodFK123456Dined on 10/11/2014Fresh food. You can see chefs preparing through the partition. Even the naan was cooked as we watched. Central location, one block from c-train.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointing experiencemummiVIPDined on 10/10/2014First time in this restaurant. The food was ok but nothing special. We had Pakoras with Tamarind-mint chutney for starters. They tasted good, but we would have liked them more a bit crispier. As mains we had Pistachio stuffed chicken breast in Korma and Coconut Kaffir Prawns. Chicken was very dry and quite frankly tasteless. The prawns were the best and tastiest part of our meal, but nothing spectacular. Waiter was efficient and friendly enough, but through out the visit we felt quite rushed. Had an Ice wine for dessert and left, don't think we will be returning, since there are so many really good restaurants near by.Special Features:
- Best downtown CurryGeoffDined on 10/10/2014For a downtown curry buffet lunch this place is consistently very good. The vegetable Pakoras and Samosas are very tasty as well. I am not a big fish curry fan but it is very flavourfull here. The nan bread is always fresh and the Chai tea is a perfect drink choice. It is also one of the few curry places to have good mango chutney.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Slow ServiceGoodDined on 10/5/2014The service was very slow, only 2 servers for the resturant. They were very busy taking care of the big Birthday party group and was very slow in attending to our party of 8. It took 35minutes to the the bill and the server got busy with other table and we had to call the bartender so we could pay our bill and leave. 18% gratuity for this kind of service is ridiculous! Would never reccemond this place if service is not improved!Special Features:
- 8thereDined on 10/5/2014Nice waiter was very good knew his food which was good we were made to feel welcome over all good experienceSpecial Features:
- Excellent lunch buffetABTravelDined on 10/3/2014Our table was at the front of the restaurant. It's the quietest area of the restaurant and the sun was shining which made it an ideal location. Really enjoyed our lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply just okayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Over-priced for the quality of food, mediocre wine list. Ordered the cashew stuffed chicken and it was a little colder than luke warm. The butter chicken naachos were fantastic.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014The food was deliicious and tasty, good ambience, nice location and great place. I would strongly recommend this restaurant to everyone who loves east Indian food.Special Features:
- Passionate FoodFoodie1975Dined on 9/27/2014We were treated like royalty on our recent visit. The wonderful service provided by Monica, exceptional food by a talented kitchen, beautiful wine and romantic ambience. This is the place to come for a grown-up night out. It is obvious they are passionate about providing an exceptional experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Very less amount of food with respect to the price .
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014All of the bathrooms were in some sort of disrepair. The staff basically advised us to lift the lid of the tank and pull the chain. No paper towels despite my compliants.
- Excellent experienceDihnerDined on 9/19/2014Not only do they have the best Nann bread & butter chicken, their salad compliments the heavier food. Giving it a good balance.Special Features:
- DeliciousYummyteDined on 9/18/2014The food, the chai tea, the rosewater gelato all exceptional. The service was superb and I would recommend Mango Shiva to anybody. The food was perfectly spiced with yummy yogurt on the side just in case, a great consideration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fooddougDined on 9/13/2014Excellent food and a fun atmosphere. Lemongrass Braised Beef Ribs where spicy but the right kind of spice, full of flavour. The mint chutney served with the Pakoras stole the show! Will definitely be back to make my way through the menu.Special Features:
- Always delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014I always enjoy Mango Shiva because there is a great selection of vegetarian food available for me. But, I do wish they always had a staple DAHL dish offered?!?Special Features:
- No point in making reservationDinerDined on 9/9/2014Was given a table - next to the door, in an very high traffic area. In fact the original table given to us was moved for bigger group. Very disappointing .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodlm86Dined on 9/6/2014A modern twist on Indian Cuisine. The restaurant is modern and has a nice feel. Have been coming to this restaurant quite frequently for the last two years. They have recently updated the menu with more variety. Would definitely recommend this restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sexy spaceDeegirlDined on 9/6/2014Wonderfully decorated, we went there for our wedding reception. We asked for a cozy spot so our daughter who is 6 months would have room. We were seated at the front in the cozy couches. It was perfect for us and our daughter. The food was delicious, and the staff made sure our marriage dinner was special by giving us complimentary champagne. You get lots of food and the portions are more than enough, also the cool interior with it's exotic, modern, sexy hip vibe will entice you to dine for hours. I will be going back for sure!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but noisyAstroHikerDined on 9/5/2014A good place for lunch with friends. The buffet is a great idea especially if you want to try a variety of foods. And you can be in and out quickly as you don't have to order. But we found the restaurant to be very noisy. I'm not sure if it is any worse than other downtown spots over the noon hour. Perhaps next time I go , I'll go off the peak hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Not great servicenopeDined on 9/5/2014I always enjoy mango Shiva's food. They have a fantastic lunch Buffet and I would say the food is some of the best in the city. The service is usually fairly poor though. We had to wait for anyone to come by and take our drink and food order, then to pay, no servers were to be found (there was a line-up at the cash register, so it looks like all of the servers must have left the restaurant at the same time... Go for the food, not for the service.Special Features:
- Many better ndian restaurants8thereDined on 8/25/2014We visited on a weekday evening. The service was very, very slow. To compound it, a few times the waitress came by to say that our food would be out "in a couple of minutes". It wasn't. When the food did arrive, it was generally good. The butter chicken sauce was delicious, but there were bones in the "boneless" chicken. The prices were higher than other comparable Indian restaurants.
- Good Food, Slow ServiceHu55hDined on 8/25/2014Food was pretty good, good appetizers, and mains, yet service was pretty slow, waiter consistently forgot about our drinks.Special Features:
- DismalDisapointedDined on 8/22/2014My 12:30 reservation was irrelevant because the hostess essentially ignored the entire line-up.
- Business lunchHakimDined on 8/21/2014It was pleasant and food was appropriate. Wasn't too noisy. Negotiating through rows of chairs to food was at times tricky.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnimpressedDineoutYYCVIPDined on 8/20/2014I was incredibly disappointed with my last experience at Mango Shiva. Our servers did not communicate with each other - after one took our order, another came to take our order again. The food took over half an hour, which was surprising because it was 2 p.m., there was one other patron in the restaurant and we only ordered the butter chicken naacos and flatbread. Once we finished eating, the manager on duty cleared our used dishes and asked if we wanted to take our leftovers, which we did. With his hands full, he was unable to take it at that moment. One of the servers then took the leftover flatbread, and failed to bring it back boxed up. After waiting 5 minutes, we asked her, and she informed us that she already disposed of it.
- Disappointed Long-Time CustomerGomanVIPDined on 8/15/2014Will have to give Mango Shiva a rest for a while. Service was stunningly poor on most recent visit - despite repeated opportunities to correct the situation.
- 15August2014Dined on 8/14/2014Buffet had great variety, there was a vegetarian in the group that enjoyed her selection. Naan bread was fresh and hot, chai tea was refillable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch Buffet - Better than EverscaricariDined on 8/14/2014I haven't been to Mango Shiva for a while so I was shocked by how busy it was during the lunch hour. Shocked until I tasted the food, it has always been good but now it is very good to outstanding. Great value for lunch plus you can be out in an hour if you wish.Special Features:
- marmarDined on 8/13/2014This was my third visit to Mango Shiva and it will definately not be my last. The food is delicious. There is something there for everyone. Fresh, well stoked and very good variety. Haven't had or heard of a bad experience yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Good Indian fusion food as usual. Service wasn't as good as I've seen before, but still good! Great mingling of flavorsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!MusteatFoodDined on 8/8/2014The food was beautiful and tasted great. Our server was attentive and made the experience that much more special. If Indian cuisine is something you enjoy, this restaurant will do the trick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Best indian food, our 1st choice for lunch in downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to end dayhard2plzDined on 7/27/2014we found everything to be wonderful. Food great, service was above and beyond.......they were very quiet for a sunday eve, so hopefully just as committed when busy.Special Features:
- Modern East Indian FoodWCRCDined on 7/24/2014Great place for some classic east indian food, but toned down for the more bland western pallet. Overall it was tasty, but I didn't understand why Roti and Naan were not unlimited accompaniments to the meal. All other East Indian restaurants I've been to do not charge additional for these starchy staples.Special Features:
- Good buffetChrisDined on 7/23/2014Food is always good quality, busy at lunchtime so get there early or make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it used to benot2pickyDined on 7/21/2014I hadn't been to Mango Shiva for several years and I must say both the quality of food and the service have declined. The menu offered several types of Indian beer, but they didn't actually have any in stock. The curry bowls, which used to be great, seemed kind of bland and mediocre. And our waiter pretty much ignored us most of the night. We won't be going back.
- consistently good food and serviceHelenM89Dined on 7/18/2014My partners first time experience with mango shiva and he loved it. I have been a few times and find the food to be delicious and the service to be perfect- not always lurking in the background but not waiting twenty mins to order. We will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good!EpioneDined on 7/18/2014The food here is always delicious and the staff friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.