128 Manhattan Beach Blvd
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266Neighborhood:
Manhattan Beach / Hermosa Beach
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mangiamorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3103183434
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm Happy Hour is available in the bar Monday through Friday 5:00-6:30.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Ron Guidone
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Mangiamo is available for private parties.
- Private Party Contact: Frank Marquez 310-318-3434
A word from Mangiamo
Mangiamo Restaurant is located in the heart of beautiful downtown Manhattan Beach, one block west of Manhattan Beach's historic pier. Mangiamo has been serving the South Bay since 1984.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Mangiamo reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (51)romantic (48)special occasion (42)fit for foodies (40)notable wine list (33)vibrant bar scene (18)good for groups (13)hot spot (10)late-night find (6)scenic view (4)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great food but very loudCathDined on 10/25/2014We had a wonderful meal. But we were seated in the main dining room and we could barely have a conversation across the table. The tables in the back area are much more desirable. The wait staff, while courteous, kept on interrupting us to take order, etc. in an effort to rush us. I found it both annoying and rude.Special Features:
- Great Italian restaurantLinnyDined on 10/21/2014Wonderful service and food. Even accommodated a vegan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great timenonameDined on 10/19/2014a very nice experience, back wine cellar has great ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dining experianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The food was fantastic especially the Dover sole risotto special. But its the service that set it apart. We got tons of attention from everybody: the waiter, the hostess, and the owner. Awesome.Special Features:
- Consistently Superior for DecadesReservation42Dined on 10/12/2014I used to eat at Mangiamo with some frequency when I frequently traveled to L.A. many years ago, Having not been back for more than a decade, I was curious if the restaurant still existed, and if so was it as good as I remembered, or had time perhaps enhanced my perception. I am happy to report that this establishment is virtually unchanged in appearance, ambiance, and quality. It was wonderful then, and it's wonderful now! From the initial greeting at the desk, to the cozy table in the distressed brick back room, my recent experience could not have been better. The menu is both innovative and well executed. The food was delicious and the portions generous. Unusual dishes worth trying include the beet salad, and the Frutti de Mar.Special Features:
- Always great....MichaelSoenenVIPDined on 10/10/2014Was not a fan for quite a while and my last five or so visits the service, food and ambiance have been really fantastic. Congratulations on an great run of great experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dined twice in 24 hours!bluuroomDined on 10/5/2014My friends and I loved the food and service so much we went twice in 24 hours. Ask to sit in the cellar if they have availability. My friend has celiac and was able to order anything off the menu made with gluten-free pasta. It was so good that I ordered mine the same way. This place will be a go to every time my husband and I visit Manhattan Beach!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressed.dustydawgDined on 10/4/2014My husband went here for our once a month date night away from our 3 kids. We like to try new places and really go all out on our dates. My husband ordered the fillet and it was average. I had the sea bass and it was tasteless. I have had way better and for mush less money. The waitresses seemed kind of snooty. No one smiled or even had a pleasant look on their face.
- Don't Judge A Book By Its CoverolinmomDined on 10/3/2014At first glance you may think twice about the simple facade -- with busy Friday night bar crowd. So glad we had a reservation and immediately whisked to the wine cellar... a delightful surprise... for an intimate dining experience. The food was fabulous, delicious and creative. Wine list comprehensive with a good selection and reasonably priced.... we love Duckhorn. The service was friendly, relaxed, efficient, attentive,yet non-intrusive. Truly the first of many more dinners to come. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okiunkoDined on 9/28/2014Noise level far TOO LOUD, almost a fatal flaw were it not for the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boring foodArtistDined on 9/16/2014The back room ambiance was nice. Thought it would be romantic with just me and hubby celebrating his birthday. A large party was also in this cavernous room right next to us. They were loud. Took the romance right out. The food was boring and bland. Not what I expected for the price. Very disappointing.
- Lobster dissappointingwmgrarVIPDined on 9/15/2014We went for the Lobster Special and I was very disappointed in the amount of lobster I was given. Seemed like very little meat for the money spent. It was served on pasta that was not that great. Service was fantastic. Very nice people. I have been there before and enjoyed their food. The fig appetizers were very good. Drinks are overpriced (like everywhere else). I will go back, but not for lobster night.
- new old worldrunnerchickDined on 9/9/2014Mangiamo always is consistently excellent, I have taken work friends there several times and they are impressed every time. The service is top notch, and the food is delicious, from Sea Bass to Osso Buco, always out of this world.Special Features:
- Love thiselliejerseyDined on 9/8/2014Get the fish if you like fish...theirs is soooo fresh. Love tuna tartar app.Special Features:
- jh7777Dined on 9/6/2014Just steps from the sand in downtown M.B. The food and service is incredible. Great wine list and cocktails. We loved the octopus salad, seafood pasta, and the butter cake is amazing!!!!Special Features:
- BigSteveDined on 9/2/2014Jason our server was terrific, I'll be requesting him when we return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014We have been coming to your Restaurant for over 20 years and you never fail to please and satisfy us. Thank you,from the Huggins familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mangiamo was magnificent!itsabouttheambianceDined on 8/29/2014Family dinner for 4 in the "wine cellar" for our daughter's final meal before returning to college. The staff was friendly and spot-on regarding menu items, the service was seamless, and the food was delicious. The wine cellar is cozy, quiet and great for talking, toasting, and reminiscing. Thank you for a evening to remember!Special Features:
- Great restaurantTheRenshVIPDined on 8/28/2014They have a more intimate space at back of restaurant - the wine cellar. Great, but tables little too close. The gnocchi has to be a secret recipe, sensational. Overall very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Restaurant1skigalDined on 8/28/2014Parking was a bit challenging, but everything else was perfect. I had made reservations and we were seated promptly. We were led to the back of the restaurant (kiddingly I said I think we were going to be seated in the kitchen). But instead we were in the back where there is a small private room with a few tables. Loved that! This area was so much more quiet than the main dining area. I had looked at the menu before making the reservation so I knew what I wanted (Osso Buco). There are other items on the menu that I would love to try next time. The wine list was extensive. We had the Stags Head Merlot - wonderful! The Ahi Tuna appetizer was also very tasty! Service was excellent! I have no complaints about this restaurant and will be back !Special Features:
- Anniversary SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014Nice spot in Manhattan Beach downtown. Pretty quiet and not crazy & noisy like other downtown restaurants. Consistently good food.Special Features:
- Return in a heartbeatSedsDined on 8/23/2014The food was fabulous. The specials were outstanding, seasonal fare! Must have the butter cake for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningLuv2dine32VIPDined on 8/21/2014We enjoy dinner at Mangiamos frequently. The crab crusted seabass is outstanding. And the Chef's daily soup is wonderful. Always a treat.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Lovely Birthday DinnerGaryDined on 8/20/2014My wife and I took our daughter's family out to Mangiamo to celebrate our granddaughter's 13th birthday. The special request made through Open Table was that we be seated in the back room, which is cozy and quiet. Upon arriving, we were seated immediately in the room requested. Every course was absolutely wonderful, as well as creative. We shared two appetizers, then had our 6 different main courses. Every single one of us was delighted with our dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food but noisyNobsVIPDined on 8/16/2014May have been a bad day with too many large parties, but the noise made it impossible to have a conversation. Killed the enjoyment of the excellent food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at MangiamoLoves2eatoutVIPDined on 8/15/2014We were visiting our daughter in Playa de Rey and her neighbor suggested Mangiamo for dinner. We were seated in a room with a wall full of wine bottles and only two tables. The front room with the bar and some dining tables was busy and noisy so you could have two very different experiences at this restaurant. The food was very good as was the choice of wines by the glass. The wait staff was excellent. My daughter and I had fish and my husband had a seafood pasta. The desserts looked good but we were too full to try them. I did note that the dress at this restaurant was fancier than the other beach restaurants where we have eaten in the area. The next time I go back I will dress up a little more.
- Fantastic night outSatnitegalDined on 8/9/2014Dinner was fabulous as always and service from all hostesses, manager and service was perfect. Many people available to take care of you at this restaurant. 6 of us shared several appetizers and entrees and all the food was delicious, and easy to share. There were several specials not on the menu so we tried a few such as peach and buratta bruschetta and lobster ravioli. We also tried the special ahi and poached salmon which were cooked perfectly and had unique flavor profiles. The items we selected on the menu are old favorites and are always delicious every time. The vibe was energetic and alive, and everyone looked like they were having a fun Saturday night out. The ambience is beautiful and seating is very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food & place to go for 2/4ShoeDined on 7/30/2014Quality food all the way...staff quality 99%+, could make a little more room with 2 or 3 less tables in the dining rooms.Special Features:
- Great tasting foodlives2eatDined on 7/24/2014Went here on a date and the ambiance was nice and food tasted amazing. Only reason I didn't give the service 4 stars is because it took about half an hour for our food to come out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!GreatDined on 7/24/2014The GM, Frank, personally took care of me and treated me as if I were a VIP. Judge T. TaylorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LauraLVIPDined on 7/19/2014Great cocktails; great meal; great evening. Will definitely go there again.
- service was better beforefireman101Dined on 7/19/2014They may have had a bad night, but they were not busy since we had 4:30 pm reservations. Everyone seemed busy talking amongst themselves and was not paying attention to our needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/18/2014the quality of the food has really gone downhill. I've eaten here twice in the past several months, only to be quite disappoitned in the food. Salads boring, pasta salty and tasteless. Ahi tuna tower has changed - top heavy on the sauce. Too bad, this used to be a decent place.
- nonisfavoritesDined on 7/12/2014Mangiamo is my favorite restaurant in Southern California, bar none. I have never had a bad meal here and the service is excellent. I would definitely recommend the fried calamari - the best I've ever had, and the rack of lamb. Even the food presentation is beautiful. And, of curse, the desert menu. Definitely a five star restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceDinecatDined on 7/6/2014I just wish the bus boy wasn't so pushy about taking our plates. He interrupted our dinner several times to ask if he could take our plates. Rude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor service & hair in food...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/5/2014Mangiamo's was recommended to me by a coworker & the menu looked great. Maybe all the planets were mis-aligned that night, but it was unfortunately bad enough to never go back. I had requested a window seat in my reservation, we were sat in the far back corner next to the rest rooms. The waiter barely acknowledged my date & spoke mainly to me - which made us both feel very uncomfortable. I ordered the blackened chicken pasta - which was actually very tasty. My date ordered the king crab linguini, which came with the crab legs still in the shell with a red sauce poured over the top of the entire dish. Removing the crab from the shell was a very messy process with no special utensils provided. And in the first bite - a long hair! no apology
- Great LocationVicFVIPDined on 7/3/2014Great Location and the food and service were excellent too.Special Features:
- The following 381 reviews are from the Mangiamo reviews archive.
- Good but expected moreKarenVIPDined on 6/26/2014My boyfriend and I had dinner and have pretty high expectations, and unfortunately, the experience was not great. Our table was right by the kitchen but no one really paid attention to us. It took a long time to have anyone take our order. He had the special lobster soup and there were shells in the soup. They also did not have a real "soup spoon" - just a regular spoon. His soup came way before my salad, so the timing was off. He had the Vodka pasta which was a good "comfort food" with a big portion. I had clams and asparagus for my main, which were good. Overall, the food was good except for the shells in the soup, but nothing "knocked our socks off."
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014Was great but very very loud. May have been the 2 large groups though. I would recommend not taking parties of 5 or larger since the restaurant is so small. Food and wine was great and still had a gear time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey, but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/26/2014$24 for a Caesar salad, Yikes! What would it have been if I'd added Chicken?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.