128 Manhattan Beach Blvd
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266Neighborhood:
Manhattan Beach / Hermosa Beach
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mangiamorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3103183434
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm Happy Hour is available in the bar Monday through Friday 5:00-6:30.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Ron Guidone
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Mangiamo is available for private parties.
- Private Party Contact: Frank Marquez 310-318-3434
A word from Mangiamo
Mangiamo Restaurant is located in the heart of beautiful downtown Manhattan Beach, one block west of Manhattan Beach's historic pier. Mangiamo has been serving the South Bay since 1984.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Mangiamo reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
romantic (43)neighborhood gem (42)special occasion (38)fit for foodies (30)notable wine list (27)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (10)good for groups (9)late-night find (6)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Mangiamo was magnificent!itsabouttheambianceDined on 8/29/2014Family dinner for 4 in the "wine cellar" for our daughter's final meal before returning to college. The staff was friendly and spot-on regarding menu items, the service was seamless, and the food was delicious. The wine cellar is cozy, quiet and great for talking, toasting, and reminiscing. Thank you for a evening to remember!Special Features:
- Great restaurantTheRenshVIPDined on 8/28/2014They have a more intimate space at back of restaurant - the wine cellar. Great, but tables little too close. The gnocchi has to be a secret recipe, sensational. Overall very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Restaurant1skigalDined on 8/28/2014Parking was a bit challenging, but everything else was perfect. I had made reservations and we were seated promptly. We were led to the back of the restaurant (kiddingly I said I think we were going to be seated in the kitchen). But instead we were in the back where there is a small private room with a few tables. Loved that! This area was so much more quiet than the main dining area. I had looked at the menu before making the reservation so I knew what I wanted (Osso Buco). There are other items on the menu that I would love to try next time. The wine list was extensive. We had the Stags Head Merlot - wonderful! The Ahi Tuna appetizer was also very tasty! Service was excellent! I have no complaints about this restaurant and will be back !Special Features:
- Anniversary SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014Nice spot in Manhattan Beach downtown. Pretty quiet and not crazy & noisy like other downtown restaurants. Consistently good food.Special Features:
- Return in a heartbeatSedsDined on 8/23/2014The food was fabulous. The specials were outstanding, seasonal fare! Must have the butter cake for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningLuv2dine32VIPDined on 8/21/2014We enjoy dinner at Mangiamos frequently. The crab crusted seabass is outstanding. And the Chef's daily soup is wonderful. Always a treat.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Lovely Birthday DinnerGaryDined on 8/20/2014My wife and I took our daughter's family out to Mangiamo to celebrate our granddaughter's 13th birthday. The special request made through Open Table was that we be seated in the back room, which is cozy and quiet. Upon arriving, we were seated immediately in the room requested. Every course was absolutely wonderful, as well as creative. We shared two appetizers, then had our 6 different main courses. Every single one of us was delighted with our dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food but noisyNobsVIPDined on 8/16/2014May have been a bad day with too many large parties, but the noise made it impossible to have a conversation. Killed the enjoyment of the excellent food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at MangiamoLoves2eatoutVIPDined on 8/15/2014We were visiting our daughter in Playa de Rey and her neighbor suggested Mangiamo for dinner. We were seated in a room with a wall full of wine bottles and only two tables. The front room with the bar and some dining tables was busy and noisy so you could have two very different experiences at this restaurant. The food was very good as was the choice of wines by the glass. The wait staff was excellent. My daughter and I had fish and my husband had a seafood pasta. The desserts looked good but we were too full to try them. I did note that the dress at this restaurant was fancier than the other beach restaurants where we have eaten in the area. The next time I go back I will dress up a little more.
- Fantastic night outSatnitegalDined on 8/9/2014Dinner was fabulous as always and service from all hostesses, manager and service was perfect. Many people available to take care of you at this restaurant. 6 of us shared several appetizers and entrees and all the food was delicious, and easy to share. There were several specials not on the menu so we tried a few such as peach and buratta bruschetta and lobster ravioli. We also tried the special ahi and poached salmon which were cooked perfectly and had unique flavor profiles. The items we selected on the menu are old favorites and are always delicious every time. The vibe was energetic and alive, and everyone looked like they were having a fun Saturday night out. The ambience is beautiful and seating is very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food & place to go for 2/4ShoeDined on 7/30/2014Quality food all the way...staff quality 99%+, could make a little more room with 2 or 3 less tables in the dining rooms.Special Features:
- Great tasting foodlives2eatDined on 7/24/2014Went here on a date and the ambiance was nice and food tasted amazing. Only reason I didn't give the service 4 stars is because it took about half an hour for our food to come out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!GreatDined on 7/24/2014The GM, Frank, personally took care of me and treated me as if I were a VIP. Judge T. TaylorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LauraLVIPDined on 7/19/2014Great cocktails; great meal; great evening. Will definitely go there again.
- service was better beforefireman101Dined on 7/19/2014They may have had a bad night, but they were not busy since we had 4:30 pm reservations. Everyone seemed busy talking amongst themselves and was not paying attention to our needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/18/2014the quality of the food has really gone downhill. I've eaten here twice in the past several months, only to be quite disappoitned in the food. Salads boring, pasta salty and tasteless. Ahi tuna tower has changed - top heavy on the sauce. Too bad, this used to be a decent place.
- nonisfavoritesDined on 7/12/2014Mangiamo is my favorite restaurant in Southern California, bar none. I have never had a bad meal here and the service is excellent. I would definitely recommend the fried calamari - the best I've ever had, and the rack of lamb. Even the food presentation is beautiful. And, of curse, the desert menu. Definitely a five star restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceDinecatDined on 7/6/2014I just wish the bus boy wasn't so pushy about taking our plates. He interrupted our dinner several times to ask if he could take our plates. Rude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor service & hair in food...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/5/2014Mangiamo's was recommended to me by a coworker & the menu looked great. Maybe all the planets were mis-aligned that night, but it was unfortunately bad enough to never go back. I had requested a window seat in my reservation, we were sat in the far back corner next to the rest rooms. The waiter barely acknowledged my date & spoke mainly to me - which made us both feel very uncomfortable. I ordered the blackened chicken pasta - which was actually very tasty. My date ordered the king crab linguini, which came with the crab legs still in the shell with a red sauce poured over the top of the entire dish. Removing the crab from the shell was a very messy process with no special utensils provided. And in the first bite - a long hair! no apology
- Great LocationVicFVIPDined on 7/3/2014Great Location and the food and service were excellent too.Special Features:
- Good but expected moreKarenVIPDined on 6/26/2014My boyfriend and I had dinner and have pretty high expectations, and unfortunately, the experience was not great. Our table was right by the kitchen but no one really paid attention to us. It took a long time to have anyone take our order. He had the special lobster soup and there were shells in the soup. They also did not have a real "soup spoon" - just a regular spoon. His soup came way before my salad, so the timing was off. He had the Vodka pasta which was a good "comfort food" with a big portion. I had clams and asparagus for my main, which were good. Overall, the food was good except for the shells in the soup, but nothing "knocked our socks off."
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014Was great but very very loud. May have been the 2 large groups though. I would recommend not taking parties of 5 or larger since the restaurant is so small. Food and wine was great and still had a gear time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey, but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/26/2014$24 for a Caesar salad, Yikes! What would it have been if I'd added Chicken?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Upscale ItaliancarollVIPDined on 6/22/2014This is an upscale Italian restaurant a half block from the Manhattan Beach pier. Parking can be tricky and hard to come by especially on the weekends. The service is always great. The food is very good. The Sunday night fixed price pasta offering is a great deal. So is the Monday lobster offering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodAndreasDined on 6/21/2014This was not my first choice for my last night in MB, but I really doubt any other place could be better. Everything that was served was delicious, beyond my expectations. We ordered the gnocchi and the unbelievable tuna tartar for starter. We chose the ossobucco, the seafood linguini and the fetuccini Alfredo for my daughter, all of them were very good, as was the sorbetto for desert. The service is the only thing that could be better- our attendant was allways on a hurry, not giving us the time to appreciate the great meal and the dinner as a gourmet experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful for a romantic occasionTheDonDined on 6/21/2014My wife and I celebrated the seventh anniversary of our first date. We started with two special appetizers, a peach bruschetta and a stuffed fig. Both excellent. We both ordered veal, one piccata and one parmegiana, both great especially the latter. Excellent bread pudding for dessert. The only downside: they were out of bread (in an Italian restaurant?!) and served insipid soft, white rolls.Special Features:
- Always a good time here!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014Dined here on the same night the champion LA KINGS were celebrating at a restaurant across the street after their victory parade. Lots of people downtown MB so Mangiamo's had a very busy bar & restaurant scene. Thus noise level very high! I believe food is always very good here. We had the sand dabs, (don't see these on menu's too often any more), halibut, although a tad too well done, yummy flavors on the plate, and pasta with Italian sausage which is hard to go wrong with. Recommend Gnocchi for a starter, really good texture/flavor! For dessert, if you like brownies must have espresso chocolate souffle a la mode. Oh yes you do! If you want a semi-private feel, ask for table in back room...Special Features:
- Long time fanGrateful04Dined on 5/30/2014We have been visiting Mangiamo approximately every 4 months for about the last 11 years. We always have a lovely meal. The wait staff including the busing team are very attentive. For starters we had the pumpkin tortellini with toasted red peppercorns and the chopped salad with Brie croutons, delicious!!! I had the filet mignon and my husband had a fish. While we often have seafood here the filet was the better of the two during this last dinner, I had to fight my husband off! Not as trendy as some of the other restaurants but always one of our favorites!Special Features:
- 3 out 5 starsalisherDined on 5/26/2014the place and kitchen were fine. however, service was not. our waitress Kristin spent more time on bar talking to some guy rather than paying attention to our and other tables. had to serve the wine myself and she noone from the stuff didn't care about it. also had to ask for additional water. food was ok. overal 3 out of 5Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliabe & FunHermosaFoodieDined on 5/23/2014While the food here may not be as great as some of the new places in Manhattan Beach, I do like that is always reliable. The wine list is FANTASTIC and the service is always FABULOUS! The noise level does tend to be high so plan accordingly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/16/2014I do not eat at Mangiamo often, however when I do, I am pleased with meal. We arrived near end of 'happy hour', and the small bar area was overflowing - making it a little difficult to approach the reservation podium. It was not noisy in restaurant (which I thought amazing given the number of people in the bar). My wife and I enjoyed our meal. I had forgotten they have only bottled beer, but the selection is good. I ordered spinach sautéed with garlic and was a little disappointed at the subtle garlic presence. Wait staff was attentive without hovering. As usual, we enjoyed our visit to Mangiamo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!pickydinerDined on 5/14/2014We had 6:45 reservations on 05/14/16 and were seated promptly upon arrival. They offered us some wonderful hot bread, with butter and olive tapenade. Yumm! They also offered us an amuse bouche (sp?) of cream of asparagus soup that was divine! I ordered the blackened scallop ceasar salad, which was so flavorful, and the scallops were cooked to perfection. I also had the gnocchi. They were out of the mushroom gnocchi, so I had gnocchi with truffles and olive and red peppers. It was very good. My husband ordered the crab topped halibut. The fish was a little bland and could have used salt, but the rice underneath was great. My daughter's chicken parmesan was incredible. We were too stuffed for dessert! The noise level was too loud!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in a long timeKryan2014Dined on 5/12/2014My husband and I went to Mangiamo for our 13th wedding anniversary. I had a kale salad to start and my husband ordered the pumpkin ravioli. Both were superb! The kale salad was the best I've had with just the right amount of dressing. I hate when salads are ruined by too much dressing. It had almonds for a nice crunch and raisins to give it the perfect balance. Kale was also a different variety which was a flat leaf...not as bitter as curly type. So delicious! For main course, I had the poached halibut on a bed of lemon capellini and husband got the braised short ribs. Both excellent! For dessert we shared the blueberry creme brûlée. So good! Pinot was also very good. Pricey but well worth the wonderful culinary experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best Italianlec090909Dined on 5/11/2014This place was recommended by a number of local Manhattan Beach friends. I went with my Dad and was told to sit in the wine room. It was very quiet, barely any music, incredibly dark (in the cellar room). A little too romantic for a father/daughter dinner. I love Italian food, but wasn't blown away or impressed by their menu. I could have bought the Caprese ingredients in a store and made it myself, not too fresh. Entrees were ok. The waitress was very sweet, I liked her! I'm relatively easy to please but I probably won't go back anytime soon.Special Features:
- average food at high pricesWitCrackerDined on 5/10/2014The food by no means justified its price. It was average at best and lacked the touch of true, high-quality Italian cuisine. The restaurant is nice and elegant but the acoustics are poor and it was hard to have a conversation. This was at odds with our intention to celebrate a romantic evening (in fairness, it was Saturday night. Maybe they are quieter on week nights).Special Features:
- Unpleasantly surprisedMangiamosDined on 5/9/2014My significant other and I had reservation for 8:45pm. We did not get sat until 9:05pm. The service was average (not that personable) not exeptional. I'm used to being "wow'd" at Mangiamo's but my last dining experience was just "ok"....not great. I don't know if I'll go back.
- The following 365 reviews are from the Mangiamo reviews archive.
- Always a great experienceItalianSpouseDined on 5/3/2014Mangiamo is always a very good place for a special meal. The hospitality and food is very good. Their Italian dishes are prepared as authentically as possible for being in So California. The tables are a little cramped (space is limited in the beach community) but the ambiance is very nice. I have only one minor concern, I believe the corkage fee of $25 is high for the area. (Maybe they donate the fee to local charities as some restaurants do.) I suggest you try Mangiamo and ENJOY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, STINGY drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/2/2014Enjoyed the meal, but don't get a cocktail. We paid $14 for a couple of sips of the house whiskey sour; it came in a tiny high ball glass with one huge ice cube, no garnish.Special Features:
- LOVE MangiamoSoxMomDined on 4/26/2014This restaurant never disappoints! The food and service is always outstanding and if you're lucky enough to be seated in the wine cellar the ambiance is amazing! Definitely ask to be seated there!!! Their specials are always interesting and I would highly recommend this wonderful dining place!! It has always been my "go to" place when guests are in town. After dinner, a stroll on the pier, couldn't ask for more!Special Features:
- Great upscale Italian!EatSleepFlyDined on 4/24/2014We so enjoyed everything and had such a hard time choosing from the widely varied, creative menu that this is a place that's a mandatory repeat! Jason, our server , was the best! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.