Mangiamo! Grand Rapids
1033 Lake Drive S.E.
Grand Rapids, MI 49506Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Mangiamo! Grand Rapids
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegilmorecollection.com/
- Phone: 6167420600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Armando Suarez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Three banquet rooms as well as a wine cellar perfect for appetizer parties
- Private Party Contact: Heidi Beyer - Sales Manager 6167420600x12
- Entertainment: Live Jazz in the Lounge after 7pm Wed - Sat
A word from Mangiamo! Grand Rapids
An Italian Restaurant set in an 1873 lumber baron home. Four dining rooms including a four season porch overlooking the lawn. Patio seating is also available. Fireplaces in three rooms as well as a lounge with live piano jazz nightly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Mangiamo! Grand Rapids - Best Restaurants in Grand Rapids ›
Mangiamo! Grand Rapids reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (66)good for groups (47)neighborhood gem (46)romantic (45)fit for foodies (33)notable wine list (29)scenic view (25)great for outdoor dining (17)kid-friendly (16)late-night find (12)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (8)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Could be better...GRindingDined on 10/25/2014Brought my wife here for her birthday and was expecting a high-quality dining experience. But that didn't happen. The food was decent but not good enough to justify the high prices. We were seated in the enclosed porch area with hard surface floors and lots of reflected noise from other tables, especially the big group nearby. I should note that we brought our 3-year old son so perhaps they parked us in the noisy room intentionally. We ordered the fish in paper (Walleye) which was decent but not impressive. Also had the grilled scallops. This was a plate with 3 scallops and a lump of boiled wheat grains called Faro. The Faro was nicely seasoned and tasty. Vegetable papardelle was nicely seasoned with fresh veggies.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014My boyfriend and I had a great time at Mangiamo's! It was a very romantic beautiful setting. We enjoyed the food and the portion sizes are just right! The restaurant itself is beautiful, and we will definitely go again. We both really enjoyed our meals, they were delicious although my boyfriend's pizza came out a bit cold. \ We sat in the library part of the house which was incredible! The house is just a cool place to eat dinner. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone else who is looking for a nice place to eat, it also makes for a perfect date night! We thought the dress code would be fancy, but you can definitely wear jeans and a nice top. We had great service and just enjoyed it in general. The setting is irreplaceable.Special Features:
- great experiencegoodDined on 10/18/2014Beautiful place ... very pleasant staff ... delicious foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpeciallovetosaveDined on 10/17/2014I booked a reservation for my husband and myself, through an ad I had emailed to me from your company. It said book late and receive 20% off entire bill and a free desert, as well as wine specials. So I booked late, we did not receive 20% off and no free desert(we paid for it). When I asked about the wine only two choices were offered. We finally had 20% taken off after we asked, but we still were charged for desert, and not offered the special. We love the food and it was still a great time, but disappointed with the special.Special Features:
- excellent experienceDivotDined on 9/29/2014The special of the day was unique with very good flavor. Our waitress was outstanding. Seems when we needed something she was there with the item in hand. The manager came to check on us. When we asked about the history of the building he took the time to share with us the entire history of the buliding from construction to present. He knew the history and he took the time to tell us. The entire dinner was excellent.Special Features:
- DeliciousCoreyDined on 9/27/2014Many food options with classic Italian focus. Was pleased with the wine options and the service staff was friendly, but seemed short-staffed.Special Features:
- Good food little too loadKathleenDined on 9/26/2014Thought the food was great but if you want to hold a conversation it's not the place for you. First time there so didn't know. Good place for a family gathering.Special Features:
- TAking client outDoctorDined on 9/26/2014Been pleased in the past. This experience not good. Service was marginal and the food was mediocre. Appetizers were not very good and the salad was okSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014Very enjoyable dining experience. Very relaxing atmosphere. Wait staff was very attentive; as soon as I was finished with one dish, she was right there to remove it. Plan on returning to this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great time.groupfunDined on 9/19/2014Our group of six long time friends, had a great time eating, drinking, and sharing stories with each other. The room was gorgeous, the food was wonderful, and the staff were an enjoyment. We will all be back again.Special Features:
- TerribleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014My mom and I ordered the most expensive things on the menu, whitefish 30$ and filet mignon 34$. I have food allergies they said they could accomodate. When the food came it looked terrible. The vegetables were boiled without salt or spices. The steak was gray in the middle not pink for medium rare. The waitress told me they made a sauce for me and I poured it over my steak, turns out I was allergic to the sauce and it was supposed to be for my mother. Whose whitefish was dry and tasted too fishy. The manager comped our uneaten meal. No incentive to go back. We left and went to grove right down the street, which was amazing. I will never be back to Mangiamo.
- Espresso4meDined on 9/7/2014Great pizza and wine selection. The service was spectacular. Waitress was very friendly and went out of her way to provide outstanding service.Special Features:
- Not so good.HungryDined on 8/31/2014We always like going to a Gilmore restaurant, for good food and fast friendly service. We haven't been to Mangiamo's in a long time and probably won't go back for a long time. We sat for over 2 hours and did not have our food yet. Then when it arrived six meals out of eight were not good. Gilmore restaurants are always good; so I think this one needs some work.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Wait staff may have been overwhelmed b/c the service wasn't very attentive.Special Features:
- Katrina FarewelljkozmoDined on 8/27/2014Everything was perfect except for the reservation process. We requested outside dining but when we arrive we were advised that there was none available. After persistence from my wife, hostess checked outside and there were tables available. You should not have to be pushy to obtain what you requested in the first place. Outside of that issue, we enjoyed our dinner with our guests and had a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014I enjoyed the evening. This was the first time I used Open Table. It was easy so I plan on usinging it many times. At Mangiamo, I forgot to tell them I reserved the reservation through Open Table. So how do I get my points?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Short of Wait Staff?jennisreviewsDined on 8/23/2014I don't know if they were short of Wait Staff, but we waited a long time for our initial drinks then dinner, and refills on drinks (I did not even receive my drink refill and was initially charged for it). The waiter never came to tell us our dinner would be delayed or that our drinks were on the way. He was a pleasant person, but needed to be more responsive. The food was good, but not worth the money, however it was varied in types and flavors. I like the chalk boards on the walls. It keeps bored kids (and adults) busy until the meal arrives, or until its time to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JamesDined on 8/18/2014My family celebrated my wife's birthday at Mangiamo and it was great. With ten of us including four grandkids ages 5-10 we were seated at the large round table with windows and chalkboards on both sides so the kids could put birthday wishes for grandma on the board. The food was excellent and our server Schuyler was outstanding.Special Features:
- Dining disappointmentLuv2dine79Dined on 8/16/2014Out experience was one of bad service and just mediocre food. We were visiting from out of town and I was really looking forward to introducing this restaurant to my family. We sat for nearly 15 minutes without being greeted or even with a glass of water. When someone did finally come over they said our waiter was too busy at the moment and she could at least start a drink order. We saw her just one more time during our dinner and a busser had to deliver our final bill. The restaurant was hardly busy enough to justify such terrible service. I would not recommend this restaurant in Grand Rapids. There are enough dining establishments in the area where you can be waited on properly and have much better food!
- Great Night Out!D1n1n60utDined on 8/16/2014Upon arrival and entry the first thing we noticed was the architecture, which was quite beautiful. The service was a bit sluggish, but the food was absolutely amazing!Special Features:
- acoupleoffoodiesDined on 8/16/2014We've been coming to Mangiamo's before it was called that; we were married there when it was Gibson's. Last Saturday we dined out because of GR restaurant week, knowing that we would have a good meal. I liked that the portion sizes were on the small side and that we were able to choose one from three courses. We both felt we had plenty to eat without feeling "stuffed" when we left. Jamie & Ian HowkinsSpecial Features:
- Always a good meal.tzapDined on 8/15/2014I have never been disappointed when dining at this establishment. Service was great as was the food. Nice to be able to sit outside for a drink after dinner as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDined on 8/15/2014Excellent food and service. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSpecial Features:
- Great food in a marvelous old homeMisterQDined on 8/14/2014We've been to Mangiamo for dinner a few times and always find the atmosphere interesting and the food delicious. Service has been good and the menu diverse. Definitely recommend dinner here.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekgvsumelDined on 8/14/2014I have wanted to try this restaurant for awhile so why not try it during restaurant week... it was very good, they were moderately busy and our waitress had a large group, she was slow on some services but very prompt on other services, she was very attentive while she was at our table. Because we had 2 large groups in the room we were in, it was fairly loud at times. Food was good, good portions especially for the prices. We would visit again.Special Features:
- Awesome place to eat!mj33Dined on 8/14/2014The food is delicious and the ambience is amazing! Very classy restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!FoodandFunDined on 8/11/2014Highly recommend you check out this gem!!! Great atmosphere and delicious food. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great except outdoor diningGinginDined on 8/9/2014Every time I've come here for dinner and was seated inside I had great service. I've always enjoyed their food and drinks here, but 2 times this month I've decided to sit outside and the service is horrible. It took almost 30 minutes for our server to take our drink order, another 20 minutes to serve the drinks and at least another 30 minutes for food. She never checked on our table and was not friendly. I had the same server both times so it may just be when she is working.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mangoamo'sDianneDined on 8/8/2014The food was really good. It was creatively prepared and served, made use of seasonal vegetables, and the portion sizes were reasonable. They had some vegetarian and other healthy entrees listed on the menu as well.Special Features:
- Worth it.SaabbobDined on 8/2/2014I've been to Mangiamo's in the past and past visits have been better than my most recent. Service was just a little slow. A times, we felt abandoned even though the restaurant was not busy. The food is very good and the elegance of the old house adds to the experience. Although my most recent visit wasn't up to the same level as past visits, I'd still recommend Mangiamo's to any of my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!!!katiek0711Dined on 8/2/2014Mangiamo is a great place to go with a big group. They have excellent food and the service was outstanding! Highly suggest Mangiamo!!Special Features:
- Great staff, OK foodbertlbDined on 8/1/2014I went to Mangiamos to celebrate my birthday with 8 friends. Ambiance was great and the server was AMAZING...she really went above and beyond. The food, however, was nothing special. The GF pasta was rather grainy (I've had better) and the serving sizes and taste were OK, but nothing spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thank youmikeyjoyceDined on 7/30/2014One can tell when a kitchen is firing on all cylinders. Everything was served on time,presented perfectly,and was delicious. We started with the bruchetta. In itself was a perfect piece with,whipped feta,an olive tapenade and also a creamy humus.. Garnished with fresh grape tomatoes bedded in fresh spinach. This was followed by a great ceasar salad. A baseball size meatball served on spaghetti, with a hat of creamy ricotta, with Parmesan dancing around it. A order of deep fried Brussels sprouts dusted with toasted almonds and drizzled with honey. O It was all good, with the house wine. I will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedWorldwanderer1217Dined on 7/25/2014The overall atmosphere was fine. Food was okay - pork tenderloin I ordered was a little too done and other plates were underseasoned. Gluten free options were good to have, however the "baked ziti" that was gluten free looked different from the regular baked ziti, mostly that it wasn't baked and just heated with cheese on top. One of the people in our party had to send back his plate twice because it was cold.Special Features:
- Just what we were hoping formrnmrsfoodieDined on 7/19/2014This grand house was the ideal place for celebrating our daughters 27th birthday. The staff was eager to please and very friendly and inviting. The recommendation for wine was a perfect pick. Outstanding ceasar salad and breadsticks served with the family style entrees. Next time we go (and we most definitely will) we will make it after 8:00 when they offer 20% off of your meal. This truly was a fun and unique place to go and I think our kids and their twenty-something crowd are looking forward to booking an event there soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor servicemrswylieDined on 7/12/2014We unfortunately had reservations at the same time as a large bridal party that appeared to overwhelm the staff. The wait for food was long and we seldom saw the wait staff. We ordered dessert at the close of our meal and 20 minutes later, I had to go in search of our waitress to let her know that had to leave for our play and to cancel the dessert order. Another 10 minutes later, she showed up with the bill and our dessert in a to go box - not what we had requested. The food was really good, but I would be reluctant to give them another try.Special Features:
- MANGIAMO'S -- YUM, YUM!DebCDined on 7/12/2014One of our favorite restaurants -- wonderful variety on menu with some entrees with a little twist. Service has always been good. Never disappoints.Special Features:
- beautiful building, alright foodtubbykegDined on 7/8/2014The building/ambiance is great. The food was alright, nothing special. Appetizers were tasty, though the goat cheese was completely skimpy. We got a "mini ice cream scoop" of goat cheese in a boat of marinara sauce. The tuscan calimari was delish. Chicken Alfredo was HORRIBLE. I asked the waitress why it was like boiled skim milk instead of a creamy Parmesan sauce (as Alfredo should be) and I was told she's heard that more than once and it's the "corporate recipe". The baked ziti was very tasty/meaty. Dessert & liquor coffees were great. We did the after 8 reservation special (20% off full meal, $3 house wine (very good), and free dessert). The special deal made it worth it, otherwise I think I'd have been upset to pay full price.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014We were here specifically for a wine we saw on the on line wine list.....when we got there we were told they no longer carried that wine. Very dissappointing when the online info does not match that actual info.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, Great ServicePhilliePhoodieVIPDined on 7/3/2014My husband and I recently moved to the area from Philly, a great food city. Mangiamo is in a cool old large house and is comfortably appointed. I had the Parmesan crusted chicken and my husband had the mixed seafood linguine and we shared the Brussels sprouts. The sprouts had great flavor and both of us thought our dishes were decent, not excellent. Both sauces were a little too sweet for our preference. The service was excellent and very friendly. Drink menu was interesting and well-prepared. We will return, but will try something different from the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 608 reviews are from the Mangiamo! Grand Rapids reviews archive.