755 San Pablo Ave.
Albany, CA 94706Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.miamangiamangia.net/
- Phone: 5105269700
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Soraya Ghaemi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Wheelchair access to restaurant but no restroom wheelchair access.
A word from Mangia Mangia
Mangia Mangia offers wonderful Italian cuisine derived from authentic recipes from the Northern and Southern Regions of Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mangia Mangia reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)fit for foodies (16)special occasion (14)romantic (10)kid-friendly (7)notable wine list (6)good for groups (5)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Mangia Mangia VisitEastBayGourmandDined on 9/13/2014The food and service were outstanding as usual. Our only complaint was the raucous noise level generated by a large group at a nearby table. Apparently it was due to a birthday celebration accompanied by a highly tanked crowd.Special Features:
- Reliably good to great foodAnonVIPDined on 9/4/2014The Iranian owner-chefs of this smallish place have contrived to make this a believable Italian restaurant you will never find in Italy, at least not as a tourist. The meat sauces, pastas and entrees all bear the spices and style of the Levant in subtle ways, making this a unique experience. The wine list isn't bad, either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- visitors from out of townalanmarinDined on 9/2/2014Took out of town visitors with two young children. Friendly, efficient service. food arrived promptly for hungry children. Well prepared, tasty food. Good reasonable wine listSpecial Features:
- One of our favoritesDanoDined on 8/30/2014We've been coming to Mangia Mangia for several years and have always been very pleased. Just the place to go when you are in the mood for Italian cuisine and ambiance.Special Features:
- Friendly staff and good foodfoodie747VIPDined on 8/30/2014I always have a good meal at this North Berkeley neighborhood gem, especially the risottos. And the owners and staff are a delight. One of my regular Berkeley haunts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party of 10 had a great timeDFreemanDined on 8/28/2014We picked Mangia Mangia because they open at 5 p.m. and a group of 10 had to be at an event down the street at 7 p.m. To check it out, I ate there with a friend a week before the big event, and liked it. The night before, I confirmed the reservation for 10, and everything went very smoothly. Food was great, especially considering how fast the kitchen had to crank it out (this is just a little place). I'm going back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Nice variety to the menu; everything is very carefully and tastefully done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I guarantee it!FoodistaDined on 8/13/2014We warmed up with wine & the antipasti platter. Then Hubby had a wonderful halibut special (I know! How do you make halibut exciting?), our friends had the gamberetti (still amazing) & scallopini (delish) and I had the penne ala Norma - divine except I would have preferred the chicken shredded instead of cut into tiny cubes (strictly a tactile in-the-mouth-thing). We all tasted each dish so we knew what to order next time and then proceeded to join the clean plate club. A shared Chocolate soufflé was just the right amount of mmmm & left us all wanting 1 more bite. Our picky friends raved and we got all the kudos. Not really fair to the wonderful Mangia Mangia team. We've eaten in places with Michelin stars that weren't as good as this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chocoladVIPDined on 8/9/2014A friend took a group of us here over 10 years ago and each time i return it is a memorable meal. I had the soup of the day and my friend had the Minestrone which we both enjoyed. We each selected one of the specials which consisted of three meats served over mashed potatoes with a wine sauce. A tasty combination of flavours. The meal was wonderfully prepared and the staff very attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:
- Consistently lovely!RubyRVIPDined on 8/8/2014Everybody at Mangia Mangia always make us feel so welcome. The food and wine are always delicious, and we never feel rushed. The pace of the world slows down! Try it...Special Features:
- Italian home cooking gemBerkeleyadventurer3Dined on 7/24/2014Mangia Mangia reminds me of having dinner at a good friend's house, one who happens to be a super cook. Service was friendly and spot on, each course arrived in a leisurely fashion on a very warm evening and the food was delicious. We especially enjoyed the soft stuffed fresh mozzarella appetizer and the seafood linguini although we would have liked to see a few extra scallops and mussels along with salmon pieces on the linguini. The wine creamy sauce on the linguini was perfect. A neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing "new" restaurant!FoodistaDined on 7/23/2014Started with bruschetta special and antipasti salad platter, then two orders of grilled giant prawn and lamb kebabs served over the mushroom risotto with veg, an order of shrimp in white wine and lemon herb sauce (you're thinking boring but you are soooo wrong) served with orzo and veg and an order of manicotti with a divinely light crepe filled with roast chicken and served with two tasty sauces. We couldn't keep our forks to ourselves and it was a "mmmmm taste this" fest. DO NOT MISS THIS or the chocolate soufflé we all shared for dessert! Oh, one bad thing--this place has been here for 19 years and we never knew! We've eaten great Italian food in Sicily, Italy mainland, SF, Berkeley and Oakland--this is a top competitor.Special Features:
- Mangia was unexpected find2pastaloversDined on 7/19/2014Happened to be in Albany & needed to find a restaurant for dinner for 3 adults & one youngster. Found Mangia on Open Table. Food: salad, pasta, veal was all excellent, exceeding our expectations. Service was outstanding. No problem in making changes or variations to menu items to fit our needs, preferences. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- not as good as last timerachelDined on 6/15/2014Over the years we have eaten here several time and our memories were of very tasty food, well prepared. This time, the veal scallopini was cut thick and very dry. The pasta with duck (one of my past favorites) was overly sweet, with the flavor getting overwhelming halfway through the dish. I was wanting to add lemon or something tart to counter the cloying sweetness. We will go again some time, but there are so many interesting restaurants in the area now...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Mangia Mangia fanOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014We went to Mangia Mangia last Saturday evening at 7:30 to celebrate our son's high school graduation. We loved the food (linguini de mari, veal, cornish game hen, prawns, Caesar salad) and even though we were all very full, we got the chocolate souffle dessert that many previous reviewers had raved about. The service was very good -- attentive without being hovering. There were families with young children dining there as well as couples, friends, and small groups. Parking was easy (plenty of empty lots and neighborhood on-street parking). Reservations were easy through Open Table (if your preferred time is not available, write what time you want in the Comments). We highly recommend this restaurant and will definitely come bac.Special Features:
- The following 404 reviews are from the Mangia Mangia reviews archive.
- Our favorite little placepssstDined on 5/20/2014We love this little restaurant. We've been eating there for years - and we are clearly not the only ones who feel like part of the family when we arrive. The family who run it are wonderful, the food is delicious, the wine is good and the chocolate soufflé (order it as you are sopping up the delicious sauce cause it takes a few minutes to bake) is to die for.Special Features:
- Friendly Local SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014We had just moved to Albany and were looking for a local restaurant at which to celebrate our daughter's graduation from college. A long time friend and resident of Albany recommended Mangia Mangia. It was exactly what we were looking for. The food was good to very good - everyone had a pasta dish and all were satisfied. The atmosphere was just urban enough for us and the service was outstanding. We will be back.Special Features:
- Wonderful neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/13/2014Mangia Mangia is a wonderful neighborhood restaurant, but worth the trip across the bridge if you live in SF. The pasta dishes are wonderful, especially the seafood pasta. The waiter we had was very knowledgable about both the food and the wine, and was friendly, professional and personable. We had a wonderful dinner there and will be returning again and again.Special Features:
- Mother's Day Night OutTeslaTasterDined on 5/9/2014I invited my friend and Godmother here for Mother's Day, and the service was fantastic. They were friendly, hospitable, and fast. The food was delicious, and they even helped pair up wine with dinner! The prices were normal for the location, and the types of ingredients in each meal. Everyone with me was pleased.Special Features:
- Grossly overratedGabyVIPDined on 5/6/2014I can make way better food at home. I don't understand what makes people with this restaurant think that it's ok to serve HUGE pieces of under-seasoned steamed vegetables on a dish named after the restaurant (Pasta Mangia Mangia), charge an arm and a leg for an unappetizing brown/green dish, give you the evil eye when you add salt and pepper to it, NEVER refill your wine glass, make a face when you ask for a bucket of ice for your white wine to stay cold and forget every other thing you order so you have to remind the waiter about it. I also don't understand the 4.3 rating for this place, what??? I will not be going back.
- A new meaning to mangiaColbyDined on 4/25/2014Honestly this restraunt is a hidden gem!! The raviolis were devine. For the price its one of my top 10 italian spots!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's always...RubyRVIPDined on 4/19/2014...an absolute pleasure! The service is so friendly, the food and wine is great. What more could you want?Special Features:
- Wonderful LambOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014The lamb was excellent! It is my favorite dish at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Savory freshness!simpleasuresDined on 4/10/2014Never had lentils taste so good or complement the food so well! Roast salmon with fresh tomato gremolata on a bed of the most savory lentil/spinach mixture I've ever had! Every bite a delight! This is our go-to spot and is always special!Special Features:
- Mangia mangiaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/6/2014We go to this restaurant quite often. It is one of our favorites because of the great food, and super friendly service. they really make you feel as if you were at home dining with friends. If you go there you must have the chocolate soufflé for dessert. it is simply divine.Special Features:
- Reliably great food and serviceGataConBotasDined on 3/29/2014I've actually been coming to Mangia Mangia for many years and I am never disappointed. Every dish delivers great flavor, the portions are generous and the service fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudlb50Dined on 3/20/2014Food was great. Service was great. Ambience was lively. It was so loud I could barely hear myself think, let alone hear my partner. Lots of people love this restaurant, and I would only recommend it if they could withstand the noise level. Maybe it's not as loud at other times. I was there on a Saturday night.
- Try it!RubyRVIPDined on 3/15/2014Going to Mangia Mangia is a wonderfully relaxing, yummy experience. We always feel so incredibly well looked after...Mmmmmm!Special Features:
- Consistently good food and serviceKathleenDined on 3/1/2014We love Mangia, Mangia. Great neighborhood restaurant. Kathleen JainSpecial Features:
- Mangia Mangia is always lovelyMangia111Dined on 2/21/2014Mangia Mangia is always lovely - gracious ambiance and service and wonderful food.Special Features:
- Good as alwaysEspressoDined on 2/15/2014As always, we had a great dinner at Mangia Mangia. The chocolate souffle is a must-have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good thing I proposed last year!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014If I had needed to impress my sweetheart this year, I would have been out of luck taking her to Mangia Mangia. Their special Valentine's Day menu only listed one vegetarian entree'; Mushroom Risotto, priced at $29. It tasted okay, but came with a serving of barely-steamed mixed vegetables right out of the bag. The baby carrots had that white, dried-out coating, and there was no seasoning to speak of. The caesar salad was dressed very heavily in a thick dressing that tasted like mayonnaise. My date sent it back. Our waiter rushed us through each course so quickly that our entire meal was complete after 30 minutes. The $90 check felt pretty steep for such unsavory fare. We will not be returning.
- Service was great! All theSnapcat9Dined on 2/14/2014Service was great! All the food was amazing! prices were a little high, paying about 30 per entree. but the quality of the food was gourmet and delightful. Never have I ever tasted Italian wine before this place. I'm normally a fan of California Zin, but the dark red Italian wine just blew me away. yummmmmm. This place impressed me with the quality. Customer service was Outstanding! however the price was too high for a weekly or monthly routine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We liked the quiet, warm atmospheregaryDined on 2/13/2014We liked the quiet, warm atmosphere for a Valentines celebration for 2. The menu had unique variations on Italian cuisine with very moderate prices. Service was very prompt and accommodating. We thoroughly enjoyed the food and especially recommend the Flan desert which was presented beautifully and very tasty. I have already recommended Mangia Mangia to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Very Positive ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/12/2014The food was quite good, and though the menu does not include a wide choice of entrees, there was something to satisfy anyone. It would be hard to beat the service: attentive but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mangia Mangia better than in ItalyOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 2/1/2014Each dish was perfectly seasoned, natural flavors, very traditional but extraordinary. (No extra salt.) Italian wine choices were perfect compliments. Gracious and thoughtful service. Memorable indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & service, tired decorOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/25/2014The food was nice, freshly prepared, standard Italian fare. Solid chef. Nothing too exciting or extraordinarily inventive though. Having heard raves about the chocolate soufflé I went for that as dessert. It was more of a melt in the middle chocolate pudding than a soufflé but very tasty all the same. In short, I'd go again as it is certainly reasonably priced, but not for a special occasion as the décor misses the mark and detracts from the ambience.Special Features:
- Nice dining experienceloubdayDined on 1/15/2014Very tasty Italian food and friendly service. The chocolate souffle desert was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing. veal "scallopini"Rj1541VIPDined on 1/12/2014disappointing. veal "scallopini" was thickly breaded and poorly cooked, served on a bed of mashed potatoes? caesar salad was lackluster.
- Delicious, if rushedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2013We went to Mangia Mangia for New Years'. To be fair, we wound up late for our reservation - we were apparently approaching closing. The food was wonderful, as always - I had a beautiful, tender lamb shank and my husband had beautifully seasoned chicken. But the wait staff barreled us through the dinner at an unaccustomed pace. I had no time to eat the appetizer my husband had ordered before, the server told us it was time for the main course. I wasn't finished when the server (a different one this time) asked about dessert. And our desserts hadn't even come when the staff started putting chairs up on the tables (really!). This made us very sad - we were trying to have a celebration! Moral: do not come to this restaurant near closing time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.