Mandu - K Street
453 K Street NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
KoreanPrice: $30 and under
Mandu - K Street
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://mandudc.com/
- Phone: 2022896899
- Hours of Operation:
Full Kitchen: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Late Night Kitchen: Monday - Saturday: 11:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 10:00pm - 12:00am
Bar: Open Until Last Call
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Korean
- Executive Chef: Yesoon Lee
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Mandu - K Street
Mandu's newest location, opened Jan 2011, is located at the City Vista building in the Mount Vernon Triangle neighborhood. Mandu opened on 18th St. in the fall of 2006 by Chef Yesoon Lee and her two children, Jean and Danny. Chef Lee presides over the kitchen making sure that the recipes and dishes taste as she was originally taught being raised in Seoul. Her specialty is creating homestyle Korean dishes that one would enjoy in her own kitchen. Jean and Danny run the operations and service, providing a fun and energetic environment that offers the comfort and ease of a neighborhood restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mandu - K Street reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (30)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (18)great for lunch (13)great for outdoor dining (12)vibrant bar scene (10)special occasion (10)hot spot (10)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (5)romantic (5)late-night find (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Fantastic BrunchPetworthVIPDined on 10/5/2014Love Mandu and after eating there a couple years I finally went for Sunday brunch. My friend and I both ordered the platter (for 1) and it was fantastic! Veg sushi, omelet, Korean veggis, and either meat or tofu. Best of all - their spicy soju bloody Mary's are $4 when you order the platter. Highly recommend. Have never had a bad (or even average) meal there.Special Features:
- FoodpleaseDined on 10/4/2014It was a fun alternative option for Korean good. The drinks were tasty and Mandu was delish. Nice decorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Mandu K Street!SusanDined on 9/4/2014This is my number one go-to place when I come into DC. I can't help it! With all of the amazing restaurants in the city, I still hanker for Duru Jjigee all the time. The dish with spicey marinated pork belly sauteed with kimchi and rice cakes, steamed tofu on the side is unbelievably seasoned. It is the most unusual dish, and is amazing. Many on the staff have been there since the restaurant opened, and they are kind and very helpful. I took out of town friends here this night, and everyone was happy with the choice!Special Features:
- If it is Tuesday, we are here!chipVIPDined on 9/2/2014Fast, friendly, and efficient service keep bringing us back - along with the desire for the mandu dumplings (we love them pan roasted). It is a treat to have this comfortable culinary gem in our neighbor.Special Features:
- Great varietyTommersDined on 8/29/2014Outstanding small dishes for appetizers and very large portions for the entrees. The service was informative and very well timed, especially considering the challenges our large group posed to the server. Thanks for a great experience.Special Features:
- K-town comes to DCkatie03VIPDined on 8/24/2014Bimbimbop doesn't get any better! We love the mandu (dumplings) and the hot stone bimbimbop here! The service is great and the food is delicious. The closest you will come to Korea or LAs K-town without taking a flight.Special Features:
- Very friendly staff!Leslie4DCDined on 8/22/2014The food was great and the setting was very pleasant, but this places gets an A++ for its amazing staff and welcoming environment. I highly recommend this place for large groups too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy with a kickAmandaDined on 8/19/2014I really enjoyed my dinner at Mandu. The dduk bok gi, which I'd never had before, was delicious and had just the right amount of kick to it, and I really enjoyed my seasonal gin cocktail with the lime and bay leaf ice cube. My only critique is that the mandu dumplings were a little bit under-seasoned.
- ch22VIPDined on 8/17/2014This restaurant is such a steal. We got there in time for happy hour and got appetizers, drinks, and dinner for $20. Can't really beat that! And the food is delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JTNUGENTVIPDined on 8/15/2014Seated promptly and taken care of well all evening by the staff. The waiter was very helpful with menu choices since we wanted to try new things food was good although mine was a bit spicier than I expected. Good times overall.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014I really liked that they have a variety of options, including healthy options. The hot stone veggie and tofu bowl I got was very much "clean eating" and tasted really fresh. They were also well-able to accommodate our large group for Saturday lunch. And the Sat/Sunday "Korean Brunch" option looked great/creative~Special Features:
- Flavorless DishesdopamineDined on 7/17/2014The food at Mandu on K Street was flavorless and boring. It's as if someone added all the veggies and eggs, but none of the herbs, spices or sauce. Bland, bland, bland. It was also quite noisy and the waitress was inattentive.
- DisappointingTheFoodGuruVIPDined on 7/13/2014Expected it to have good food, if nothing else. My bbq ribeye had gristle. I told the server and she apologized but did not offer to substitute for it or remove it from the check. I only gave it 3 stars because the other members of my party had acceptable meals.
- DeliciousnessJessicaVIPDined on 7/11/2014This is my first time at Mandu at K Street and I felt as if I was transported to Seoul. Loved the decor of the restaurant and great service. My favorite was the the pork belly dish: a merger of my favorite Korean meals: the pork belly and rice cake. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ch22VIPDined on 7/7/2014So much value for such an inexpensive meal! I would definitely go backSpecial Features:
- The following 191 reviews are from the Mandu - K Street reviews archive.
- emmy2004Dined on 6/18/2014As a Korean, I can say that this food is pretty good. But not quite as good as home cooked, or the food you would find in the kitchen at a Korean grocery store. For non-Koreans, I think this is a great starting point to learn more about Korean food.Special Features:
- Delicious and SimpleAlisonDined on 6/10/2014This was my first time trying Korean food and it made me into a fan of the cuisine. Happy hour prices are good--make sure you order some mandus for an appetizer. I really loved the Bibimbap as an entree. The name sounds intimidating but the flavors are wonderful--just another take on rice, meat and vegetables!Special Features:
- Accessible KoreanotberburVIPDined on 6/6/2014Mandu's K Street location is louder and trendier looking than the 18th St. location, but both restaurants appear to desire to take the mystique out of Korean food. In a city where Koreans are ubiquitous, the servers are overwhelmingly non-Asian, and happy to explain a menu that focuses on well-prepared, if not especially exotic, grilled meats. Banchan are satisfying, if skewing towards the conventional. I can't vouch for the authenticity of the result, but it yields satisfying meals.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetarians and meat- eaters alikeVegoutDined on 5/25/2014Great Korean food for vegetarians nd meat eaters alike! There were numerous menu choices for vegetarians, which is not always the case. And the food was quite tasty too! We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date SpotDCFoodyDined on 5/21/2014Mandu is one of my favorite restaurants in DC. The food is flavorful and not overpriced. Their happy hour special is a great bargain and the dumplings are delicious. My boyfriend and I regularly eat here or get take out. Eating in is a good mix of some noise but not too noisy. That makes it great for a nice date.Special Features:
- yum!katie03VIPDined on 5/17/2014Weather it's and early dinner on a Tuesday or a late night meal on a Saturday after a movie Mandu never disappoints. Servers/staff are always awesome and super accomodating with any special requests.Special Features:
- Solid food, great ambiancePengpunchDined on 5/14/2014The food here is consistently good, but won't blow your mind (unless you've never had Korean food). The happy hour specials cannot be beat ($3 plates of dumplings, $4 sojutinis). If I've got a big group and a limited budget, Mandu is #1 on my list.Special Features:
- Post- and Pre-Theater DiningFormerFedVIPDined on 5/3/2014Dropped into Mandu for dinner between a matinee of "Elling" at the Washington Stage Guild and an evening performance of "Nero Pseudo" at the Shop at Fort Fringe. Started with the namesake dumplings and found them very tasty. Also got a half-sized appetizer assortment. Liked those enough that I ordered the fried tofu and a beef-vegetable stew. Couldn't finish the last, but everything was good. The attentive waiter kept the drinks coming, so my bill (with tip) came to $120. I'm not a fan of Korean cuisine, but enjoyed Mandu enough that I will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Korean Easter Lunch!LLovelyzDined on 4/20/2014This was a great spot to slip into for Easter lunch with my family especially as more traditional American restaurants were full for the afternoon. Delicious dumplings and great bibim bap and bulgogi. Not quite like Honey Pig or many of the Annandale corridor Korean restaurants, but definitely delicious and convenient to get to. Will certainly be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great pricespsu17Dined on 4/19/2014I went here recently for a birthday, and I can't say enough about how great the servers were and the food was, too. A few people at our table had different types of food allergies, and our server went out of her way to check about them and to find alternatives to the way things were cooked to accommodate both Celiac and onion allergies. In addition, the food was delicious and the portions are enormous. Most of the people at our table got the bibim bap (sp?), a stone bowl filled with veggies, meat and rice. Highly recommended, and can't wait to go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nom!OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 4/17/2014Knock out Korean food, reasonable pricing, great ambiance, will definitely revisit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be aware, the noise levelOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/11/2014Be aware, the noise level as previous diners have noted, is pretty high around happy hour! It's a giant open space, so even if you are seated upstairs, the noise from the bar downstairs is still pretty significant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Great ServicegoodfoodVIPDined on 4/9/2014Our server was amazing. I've never had Korean food before because I don't eat shellfish or pork and many Korean restaurants have very few options for someone like me! Our server helped me navigate the menu and made great recommendations. I loved the soup I ordered. Delicious food for a solid price. And again, to reiterate, our server was so patient and knowledgeable! (I wish I knew his name so I could give him a shout out!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Korean food made easyBonnieBDined on 4/8/2014I don't have much experience with Korean food, but was pleased with both the service and the food. The servers were knowledgeable and pleasant -- and the restaurant went out of their way to accommodate our large group in an area where we could talk, even though it required the server to run up and down the stairs. I would go back, for sure.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2014I really love Korean food and this resturant was on point! Food was delicious and better than expected! The only downside is that the wait staff took a longer time than average to come to our table to ask for drink options and then to ask what we wanted to order. However the tasty dishes quickly dissipated any ill feelings..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot for Korean foodArnoldDined on 3/29/2014My Korean food experience is limited so I don't have much to compare it to, but the food here is quite tasty. We had great service and the atmosphere is nice, too - not too loud, not too quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual AND very good quality.HungerstrikesDined on 3/21/2014Easy quick meal in a casual atmosphere without sacrificing quality. Staff extremely helpful and service oriented. I would definitely make a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Mandu !mfwb3515Dined on 3/15/2014What a wonderful place. Gorgeous restaurant, great food. The Hot Granite Bowls are just so much fun to eat the Rice Bowl. Short ribs delicious. Drinks made it all a good time. Get the New Amaretto Ice Cream and a Shot of Kahlua and pour the Kahlua over the Ice Cream... Best Dessert !Special Features:
- Great Korean food near capitalskidocVIPDined on 3/10/2014I had excellent Korean food here. Bibim bop was excellent. Service was attentive. Would higly recommend.Special Features:
- Great potential, a little too noisygjdcDined on 3/8/2014For the most part, my group and I really enjoyed Mandu - K Street. The food was quite good, and service was excellent. My one complaint is that this is the latest in 21st restaurant design that equates volume with "energy" - just look at the noise level rating above! There needs to be one more rating for "too loud." As the evening went on, the music got louder and louder, and it became more difficult to hear the person sitting across the table from me. That really detracted from the overall experience. I will say that they have great happy hour deals, and it may become another go-to spot for after-work celebrations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not all that great...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/21/2014I was a bit dissapointed with the restaurant, firs of all the hostess was very nice and attentive, my waitress barely talked, service was very fast it didn't even give me time to enjoy my drink, the food needs more flavor it's too plain, there are no condiments on the table, btw the bar scene seemed to be great ..Special Features:
- Seafood pancakes were a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/15/2014Seafood pancakes were a little bland, but the soup (I can't remember the Korean name) - it had shredded chicken, zucchini, rice cakes, rice noodles, egg strips, and a green leafy vegetable was great, especially with the added hot pepper pasteI would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and happy hour dealstallmaryDined on 2/15/2014The happy hour was excellent, the food was delicious, service was fast! Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DayUptowndiningDined on 2/14/2014Very good food. Nice atmosphere. A lot of food and all tasty. The veggie mandu (dumplings) were excellent, especially with the soy sauce. Dessert sounded good although I didn't have it.Special Features:
- We went for Valentine's DayaoflecDined on 2/14/2014We went for Valentine's Day after visiting the 18th street location two weeks ago for happy hour with friends. Their Sojutinis are delicious - or favorites are mango and aloe. Happy hour is a great deal, and apps are tasty. The atmosphere was lively yet intimate enough for a date night. Or waiter was friendly, efficient, and not afraid to discuss the dishes and give his opinions. The biggest seeking point is how delicious the food is... try the bibimbap in the hit stone bowl or the pork belly with rice cakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.