2519 Fairview Rd
Raleigh, NC 27608Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mandolinraleigh.com/
- Phone: 9193220365x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm, Sunday: 10:30am- 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm -10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sean Fowler
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Mandolin offers a refined, intimate private dining experience for parties ranging from 10-18 people for lunch and dinner. We have a secluded dining room that is equipped with a 46" LCD television for presentations and slide shows. We offer special prixe fixe menus for private parties, as well as passed hors d'oeuvres and cocktail hours. Please allow at least three weeks notice to reserve our private dining room. We require a credit card to reserve this room and to book parties of 10 and more, and we charge a fee for cancellations made less than 24 hours before a reservation. We look forward to helping you celebrate your company parties, birthdays, rehearsal diners, and graduations.
- Private Party Contact: Lizzy Fisher 9193220365x
- Entertainment: Live music Tuesday Night!
- Special Events: Our private dining room is perfect for group dinners, intimate parties, meetings, and rehearsal dinners.
- Cross Street: Oberlin
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We have ample parking in multiple locations as well as Valet Service on Friday and Saturday nights. We have street parking in front of the restaurant on Fairview Rd. We have a parking lot beside the Red Dragon. We also have use of the parking lot behind State Farm and Hungry Howie"s with its entrance on Oberlin Rd. Finally, after 5:00 PM and all day on the weekends, we offer parking at the offices, located on the opposite side of the Oberlin-Fariview intersection from the Mandolin.
A word from Mandolin
Mandolin is a breath of fresh air to the Raleigh dining scene, combining a casual atmosphere with fresh, contemporary, Southern fare. Mandolin uses the highest quality local ingredients to create seasonal menus that resonate with foodies and casual diners, alike. We share our food in a relaxed, cozy atmosphere that replaces the stuffiness of fine-dining with Southern charm. The menu and ambiance reflect the character of Raleigh itself- a blend of rustic and refined, contemporary and traditional, rural and metropolitan. Mandolin, like the City of Oaks, is Southern at its roots, but draws influences from around the world. We love our new home in Hayes Barton, just a stone's throw from Five Points, on the corner of Oberlin and Fairview.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Mandolin - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
Mandolin reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (116)neighborhood gem (109)special occasion (89)romantic (56)notable wine list (55)great for brunch (47)good for groups (28)great for outdoor dining (18)hot spot (12)great for lunch (12)vibrant bar scene (9)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (1)Show More
- CharmingKathyackVIPDined on 9/28/2014This is the kind of place I wish I lived by, so that I could walk to it regularly, and enjoy a great dinner among friends! The decor is simple (canning jars on the shelves and potted herbs on each table, brick flooring), the staff well-trained and efficient. The menu offers far-ranging choices, all prepared in inventive combinations emphasizing the farm to table philosophy. All that being said... the Chicken and Waffles are amazing!Special Features:
- ExcellenceboundaryDined on 9/27/2014Another excellent meal - the restaurant keeps to a very high standardSpecial Features:
- Great find!AnnaDined on 9/26/2014I've driven past Mandolin so many times. I'm so glad my husband and I finally made a point to go. When we arrived at Mandolin, the hostess gave us some backstory on the restaurant. She said that she and her husband had opened the restaurant three years ago and that they "prided themselves on not having a freezer." Loved that. Everything was so fresh and locally sourced, included the seafood which was caught on the NC coast. Excellent, and I mean EXCELLENT, service. Attentive and knowledgeable, the staff went above and beyond to provide us with an excellent dining experience. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- good food; bad wine recommendationsTraceyDined on 9/26/2014Good, nicely done food; good variety of choices. Waitress recommended wine that was way too sweet! BUT do not pass up the chocolate souffle!!! Worth the few minutes extra!!!! I'd go back for that alone!!!Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2014This was my second trip to Mandolin. It was just as amazing this time!! The service was impeccable and our waiter was very helpful in our entree decisions. Everyone in our party had an amazing meal...chicken & waffles, pork chop, hangar steak, and lamb were delicious. I will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/21/2014Dined here recently with my spouse and was a bit disappointed. We've been there several times before and had previously enjoyed our food very much. This time, each of the three dishes we ordered were disappointing. I don't know if there is a new chef or what. The soup of the day was a cauliflower soup with mushrooms and fried chicken skin strips ... very little flavor. Then ordered fish of the day, which has caper berries on it ... ooh, bad decision to add those very bitter / very strong caper berries to the dish. My spouse ordered lamb entree which was served like a stew with large beans. The taste was okay but it was a strange combination and consistency. We'll likely try again but not soon. Service & atmosphere were good.Special Features:
- Attention to detailDave29Dined on 9/20/2014All aspects of the restaurant seem to be consciously arranged from the décor to the food. Cocktails are creative and fresh and the wine list is made up of well structured wines thoughtfully selected to accompany the dishes created by the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Neighborhood GemJenkVIPDined on 9/20/2014I was pleasantly surprised by this quaint yet chic restaurant. The food (brunch) was terrific and the staff pleasant and attentive. I will definitely return for dinner!Special Features:
- RomanceMarinetommyDined on 9/18/2014Celebrated our 15 anniversary. They treat you well. Food was great! A little loud but it looks like we picked a night when they had a bachelorette party. We'll be back again and again.Special Features:
- Farm to Table QualityJHG8Dined on 9/18/2014A lovely choice for the F/T crowd. Excellent wine list, beautiful food well presented. Service was paced - a rarity today. Server recognized our in depth personal conversation and allowed the food to flow slowly. Two hour meal on Thursday evening - what a gem. We shall return. Even good parking.Special Features:
- Fancy Tuesday Night DinnerLaFoodieDined on 9/16/2014For a regular ole Tuesday night dinner...it sure was divine! The Tuna Tartar and Sea Scallops were impeccable, and an addof a simple side salad was the perfect meal! The other meals at my table were wonderful as well! Thanks Mandolin for a prefect Tuesday Night Birthday Dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slajDined on 9/16/2014Dined with 6, and everyone was very pleased Had absolutely delicious pork chop dish. Really nice chocolate soufflé.Special Features:
- Great brunchDavisDined on 9/14/20142nd time here. Would recommend this place for groups, couples or families. For the most part, food was very good as was service (particularly shrimp and grits this time). Beignets need some work - they were kind of heavy and not very sweet. But overall, would recommend this place for brunch, lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Have only been able to enjoy brunch at Mandolin. The Country Ham Eggs Benedict are delicious!Special Features:
- 7 for BunchRealheelsDined on 9/14/2014Everyone really enjoyed the bunch. The food, service and atmosphere was very good.Special Features:
- Good foodLongtimeRaleighResidentDined on 9/6/2014Intriguing food combinations. Good flavors. Enjoyed everything we ordered. Want to go back to try some more of the food. Good staff worked well as a team.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected eleganceNoFoLauraVIPDined on 8/27/2014Took a team member here for dinner while I was in town. Beautiful room, though it could use some fabrics or panels to absorb sound. It can get loud even when only half full. Our service team was excellent, whisking away an overcooked hanger steak. The replacement, though perfectly seasoned was not a nice a cut. The fig dessert sounded amazing, but was good. My companion loved his fish. Overall a nice meal, but not out of the park, and for the area the prices were high for this caliber.Special Features:
- Just love it here2010boxsterVIPDined on 8/26/2014Great food and atmosphere. A little loud but....One of our favoritesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best birthday dinner ever!tpageDined on 8/25/2014Beautiful fresh nc flounder, tasty veggies from my husbands home "town", perfect cocktails and wine recommendations! Absolutely everything I was looking for ina farm to table rerestaurant. This place is seriously one of the best kept secrets in raleigh! I cant wait to try their brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so, will not returnjpljrVIPDined on 8/23/2014Thought the food was overrated. Could tell by the wait staff that the chef is very rigid about any changes in anything having to do with his dishes. Menu very limited. Had been there for lunch and it was so so. But was encouraged by the newspaper ranking. Don't know what they ate, but it was not what we are. Will never return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/23/2014Very-very good! Food is extremely fresh and delicious, service outstanding!Special Features:
- Best Food Since Moving to RaleighcapmDined on 8/21/2014This dinner was my wife's birthday and my getting a big order combo celebration. We will be back. Service from entrance to exit was perfect. The staff cooperates so we had numerous encounters with the folks who gave us a first class experience that was simply seamless. Folks at a nearby table broke a glass and the service glided into place making this a total non incident. It amplified the deep down excellence of Mandolin. Food? Perfect from first to last, but we were so satisfied after course one and course two that we decided to have course three on our next visit. The scallops appetizer was superb. The best we have ever enjoyed and dinner accelerated from there. Our goal is to explore everything on the menu. The joy is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- saraDined on 8/21/2014Excellent service and food preparation. Would like to have seen more variety in entrees and desserts. Lowering the music would allow for better table conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 star restaurant all the way!GlitterFrenzyVIPDined on 8/20/2014From the time I arrived until the time I left, this place was 5 stars in every aspect. I'm a serious foddie from Chicago so I'm pretty detail oriented with my restaurants and this place impressed me. The hostess, my server (also the bartender), the food (chicken n waffles), the wine, the atmosphere, and even the customer next to me were all fabulous! The bartender knew his wine which I appreciate. The hostess introduced me to the patron next to me at the bar since I was alone and we became fast bar friends. Seriously, if this place were in Chicago I would be broke and fat and happy. Though, the prices are reasonable compared to what I'm used to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will try againGripsterDined on 8/17/2014Went to Mandolin for an anniversary. Really liked the decor and ambiance. Food was mixed. Wife's fish was bland; the coconut rice did not do much to enhance the taste of the fish. We mentioned it to the waiter when asked and the next thing we knew the owner talked to us and took the entree off the bill; not expected and very appreciated. The Open BLT appetizer was excellent. Entree selection seemed a little limited but were reasonably priced. Wine list in general seemed a little pricey but we were able to find a nice, reasonably priced bottle. Service was good but not exceptional; did all the right things but not real natural. We will try them again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MAS1MAS1Dined on 8/17/2014Consistently awesome!!! Brought 3 new people in our party of 4 and they were impressed. Love the ambience, food is fresh, thoughtfully prepared and all around great. I have only been for brunch would like to try for dinner sometime.Special Features:
- Good food and signature cocktailsTKInternationalTravelerDined on 8/16/2014We had dinner there to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday. We looked for a restaurant near NCSU, nice food and wide variety of beverage, and the restaurant is nearly perfect . 5 min from NCSU but in a quiet, nice neighborhood. Inside looked very nice, too. We get great service and of course, the food were so good. My daughter enjoyed to sip some signature cocktails for her first exposure to alcoholic beverage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice EveningCuriousDinerVIPDined on 8/14/2014Decor/Ambiance simple, serene, appealing. Charcuterie plate a bit skimpy for price but good selection, Johnston Cty ham a standout. Yellowtail Tartare very good. Hanger Steak tender, tasty. Pork chop tasty/moist, med, as ordered, perfect. Chicken and Waffles: Chicken excellent, collards very good, waffles seemed an afterthought, mushrooms an odd addition. Chevre Cheesecake nice idea but fig accompaniments dry, added little. Chocolate Souffle very good but, as a non-chocoholic, would have preferred a vanilla or other non-chocolate sauce. Chocoholics in group disagreed, of course. Svc friendly, knowledgable and responsive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerLGNCDined on 8/13/2014Lovely atmosphere and friendly staff unfortunately the night I was there many kitchen and waitstaff had left , waited almost two hours for an awful meal. No one came over to explain or offer us something until meal came. Our wine was comped but it was truly an awful experience. Such a pretty place with good reviews in the past. I hope they can get it worked out.
- Wonderful experience!teagirlDined on 8/13/2014We went out to celebrate a friend's birthday. The food was wonderful and our waiter, Hank, made the evening even better. The kale, corn, wild rice, and oyster mushroom dish that came with my pork chop may be the best thing I've ever eaten. The tarragon soda was also a must-try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014like to see some different dishes on menu w/o pork belly, bacon.......not as heavy entreesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014The pork sandwich is awesome. We weren't gonna order it but he forced us, and it was awesome! The biscuits were awesome too!Special Features:
- Wonderful VenueOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014We met old friends for dinner. The wait staff was terrific. They were always available and attentive, but not intrusive. We particularly liked the maitre d, Mr. Manly! We had reservations and had a drink at the bar before we were seated. The whole evening was delightful.Special Features:
- Excellent service and foodJen007Dined on 8/8/2014We loved the restaraunt and the food was delicious. Their take on chicken and waffles was unique and very tasty. I wish the menu had felt a little more southern, as it seemed to include a number of dishes that feel a bit ordinary such as pork chops and sirloin. The menu could have been more creative considering the price and the customer base that tends to eat at places like this, but the food was very good. Atmosphere was upscale and very nice. Service was outstanding. We would definitely go back, but too pricey for everyday dining.Special Features:
- Outstanding Dining Experience!LarryDDined on 8/8/2014First time to Mandolin Friday night and it certainly won't be our last! The staff was attentive and the food was off the charts! Highly recommend the scallops and the pork chop entree. Absolutely the best meal in Raleigh in quite a while!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dennisk51VIPDined on 8/7/2014Would not have found Mandolins without OpenTable. Glad we did. wonderful meal, attentive service. overall delightful evening.Special Features:
- Lets great food speak for itselfRTPerDined on 8/5/2014Amazeballs as the kids would say. The BLT appetizer was transcendent and the peaches and cream dessert is poetry on a plate. Just great ingredients prepared masterfully but not overdone or too fussy. Ready to go back tonight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place for quiet dinnersOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/4/2014Ambiance was terrific, relaxing and quiet, food was exceptional and fresh, and staff was very attentive and pleasant. Even with a business dinner happening next to us, this is a place where you can have personal conversations with very little background noise. Perfect for any romantic dinner.Special Features:
- Birthday Brunch Was SpecialDukesvilleDined on 8/3/2014Staff went out of their way to ensure our dual-birthday party brunch celebration went well. Food, service and ambiance were terrific!Special Features:
- Worth Waiting ForYogadivaDined on 8/1/2014Last time I was in this building was for EVOO. I was very impressed at the new decor. It was great to find Valet Parking, since it was a rainy day. Everyone was very friendly. Last, but not least, the food was delicious and very creative. Keep up the good work, Sean!!!Special Features: