2519 Fairview Rd
Raleigh, NC 27608Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mandolinraleigh.com/
- Phone: 9193220365x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm, Sunday: 10:30am- 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm -10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sean Fowler
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Mandolin offers a refined, intimate private dining experience for parties ranging from 10-18 people for lunch and dinner. We have a secluded dining room that is equipped with a 46" LCD television for presentations and slide shows. We offer special prixe fixe menus for private parties, as well as passed hors d'oeuvres and cocktail hours. Please allow at least three weeks notice to reserve our private dining room. We require a credit card to reserve this room and to book parties of 10 and more, and we charge a fee for cancellations made less than 24 hours before a reservation. We look forward to helping you celebrate your company parties, birthdays, rehearsal diners, and graduations.
- Private Party Contact: Lizzy Fisher 9193220365x
- Entertainment: Live music Tuesday Night!
- Special Events: Our private dining room is perfect for group dinners, intimate parties, meetings, and rehearsal dinners.
- Cross Street: Oberlin
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We have ample parking in multiple locations as well as Valet Service on Friday and Saturday nights. We have street parking in front of the restaurant on Fairview Rd. We have a parking lot beside the Red Dragon. We also have use of the parking lot behind State Farm and Hungry Howie"s with its entrance on Oberlin Rd. Finally, after 5:00 PM and all day on the weekends, we offer parking at the offices, located on the opposite side of the Oberlin-Fariview intersection from the Mandolin.
A word from Mandolin
Mandolin is a breath of fresh air to the Raleigh dining scene, combining a casual atmosphere with fresh, contemporary, Southern fare. Mandolin uses the highest quality local ingredients to create seasonal menus that resonate with foodies and casual diners, alike. We share our food in a relaxed, cozy atmosphere that replaces the stuffiness of fine-dining with Southern charm. The menu and ambiance reflect the character of Raleigh itself- a blend of rustic and refined, contemporary and traditional, rural and metropolitan. Mandolin, like the City of Oaks, is Southern at its roots, but draws influences from around the world. We love our new home in Hayes Barton, just a stone's throw from Five Points, on the corner of Oberlin and Fairview.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Mandolin - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
Mandolin reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (104)neighborhood gem (97)special occasion (85)romantic (55)notable wine list (52)great for brunch (40)good for groups (23)great for outdoor dining (15)great for lunch (12)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Just love it here2010boxsterVIPDined on 8/26/2014Great food and atmosphere. A little loud but....One of our favoritesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best birthday dinner ever!tpageDined on 8/25/2014Beautiful fresh nc flounder, tasty veggies from my husbands home "town", perfect cocktails and wine recommendations! Absolutely everything I was looking for ina farm to table rerestaurant. This place is seriously one of the best kept secrets in raleigh! I cant wait to try their brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so, will not returnjpljrVIPDined on 8/23/2014Thought the food was overrated. Could tell by the wait staff that the chef is very rigid about any changes in anything having to do with his dishes. Menu very limited. Had been there for lunch and it was so so. But was encouraged by the newspaper ranking. Don't know what they ate, but it was not what we are. Will never return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/23/2014Very-very good! Food is extremely fresh and delicious, service outstanding!Special Features:
- Best Food Since Moving to RaleighcapmDined on 8/21/2014This dinner was my wife's birthday and my getting a big order combo celebration. We will be back. Service from entrance to exit was perfect. The staff cooperates so we had numerous encounters with the folks who gave us a first class experience that was simply seamless. Folks at a nearby table broke a glass and the service glided into place making this a total non incident. It amplified the deep down excellence of Mandolin. Food? Perfect from first to last, but we were so satisfied after course one and course two that we decided to have course three on our next visit. The scallops appetizer was superb. The best we have ever enjoyed and dinner accelerated from there. Our goal is to explore everything on the menu. The joy is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- saraDined on 8/21/2014Excellent service and food preparation. Would like to have seen more variety in entrees and desserts. Lowering the music would allow for better table conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 star restaurant all the way!GlitterFrenzyVIPDined on 8/20/2014From the time I arrived until the time I left, this place was 5 stars in every aspect. I'm a serious foddie from Chicago so I'm pretty detail oriented with my restaurants and this place impressed me. The hostess, my server (also the bartender), the food (chicken n waffles), the wine, the atmosphere, and even the customer next to me were all fabulous! The bartender knew his wine which I appreciate. The hostess introduced me to the patron next to me at the bar since I was alone and we became fast bar friends. Seriously, if this place were in Chicago I would be broke and fat and happy. Though, the prices are reasonable compared to what I'm used to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will try againGripsterDined on 8/17/2014Went to Mandolin for an anniversary. Really liked the decor and ambiance. Food was mixed. Wife's fish was bland; the coconut rice did not do much to enhance the taste of the fish. We mentioned it to the waiter when asked and the next thing we knew the owner talked to us and took the entree off the bill; not expected and very appreciated. The Open BLT appetizer was excellent. Entree selection seemed a little limited but were reasonably priced. Wine list in general seemed a little pricey but we were able to find a nice, reasonably priced bottle. Service was good but not exceptional; did all the right things but not real natural. We will try them again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MAS1MAS1Dined on 8/17/2014Consistently awesome!!! Brought 3 new people in our party of 4 and they were impressed. Love the ambience, food is fresh, thoughtfully prepared and all around great. I have only been for brunch would like to try for dinner sometime.Special Features:
- Good food and signature cocktailsTKInternationalTravelerDined on 8/16/2014We had dinner there to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday. We looked for a restaurant near NCSU, nice food and wide variety of beverage, and the restaurant is nearly perfect . 5 min from NCSU but in a quiet, nice neighborhood. Inside looked very nice, too. We get great service and of course, the food were so good. My daughter enjoyed to sip some signature cocktails for her first exposure to alcoholic beverage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice EveningCuriousDinerVIPDined on 8/14/2014Decor/Ambiance simple, serene, appealing. Charcuterie plate a bit skimpy for price but good selection, Johnston Cty ham a standout. Yellowtail Tartare very good. Hanger Steak tender, tasty. Pork chop tasty/moist, med, as ordered, perfect. Chicken and Waffles: Chicken excellent, collards very good, waffles seemed an afterthought, mushrooms an odd addition. Chevre Cheesecake nice idea but fig accompaniments dry, added little. Chocolate Souffle very good but, as a non-chocoholic, would have preferred a vanilla or other non-chocolate sauce. Chocoholics in group disagreed, of course. Svc friendly, knowledgable and responsive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerLGNCDined on 8/13/2014Lovely atmosphere and friendly staff unfortunately the night I was there many kitchen and waitstaff had left , waited almost two hours for an awful meal. No one came over to explain or offer us something until meal came. Our wine was comped but it was truly an awful experience. Such a pretty place with good reviews in the past. I hope they can get it worked out.
- Wonderful experience!teagirlDined on 8/13/2014We went out to celebrate a friend's birthday. The food was wonderful and our waiter, Hank, made the evening even better. The kale, corn, wild rice, and oyster mushroom dish that came with my pork chop may be the best thing I've ever eaten. The tarragon soda was also a must-try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014like to see some different dishes on menu w/o pork belly, bacon.......not as heavy entreesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014The pork sandwich is awesome. We weren't gonna order it but he forced us, and it was awesome! The biscuits were awesome too!Special Features:
- Wonderful VenueOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014We met old friends for dinner. The wait staff was terrific. They were always available and attentive, but not intrusive. We particularly liked the maitre d, Mr. Manly! We had reservations and had a drink at the bar before we were seated. The whole evening was delightful.Special Features:
- Excellent service and foodJen007Dined on 8/8/2014We loved the restaraunt and the food was delicious. Their take on chicken and waffles was unique and very tasty. I wish the menu had felt a little more southern, as it seemed to include a number of dishes that feel a bit ordinary such as pork chops and sirloin. The menu could have been more creative considering the price and the customer base that tends to eat at places like this, but the food was very good. Atmosphere was upscale and very nice. Service was outstanding. We would definitely go back, but too pricey for everyday dining.Special Features:
- Outstanding Dining Experience!LarryDDined on 8/8/2014First time to Mandolin Friday night and it certainly won't be our last! The staff was attentive and the food was off the charts! Highly recommend the scallops and the pork chop entree. Absolutely the best meal in Raleigh in quite a while!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dennisk51VIPDined on 8/7/2014Would not have found Mandolins without OpenTable. Glad we did. wonderful meal, attentive service. overall delightful evening.Special Features:
- Lets great food speak for itselfRTPerDined on 8/5/2014Amazeballs as the kids would say. The BLT appetizer was transcendent and the peaches and cream dessert is poetry on a plate. Just great ingredients prepared masterfully but not overdone or too fussy. Ready to go back tonight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place for quiet dinnersOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/4/2014Ambiance was terrific, relaxing and quiet, food was exceptional and fresh, and staff was very attentive and pleasant. Even with a business dinner happening next to us, this is a place where you can have personal conversations with very little background noise. Perfect for any romantic dinner.Special Features:
- Birthday Brunch Was SpecialDukesvilleDined on 8/3/2014Staff went out of their way to ensure our dual-birthday party brunch celebration went well. Food, service and ambiance were terrific!Special Features:
- Worth Waiting ForYogadivaDined on 8/1/2014Last time I was in this building was for EVOO. I was very impressed at the new decor. It was great to find Valet Parking, since it was a rainy day. Everyone was very friendly. Last, but not least, the food was delicious and very creative. Keep up the good work, Sean!!!Special Features:
- I'll be backdeltaboyDined on 7/26/2014First time out at this charming, southern-style restaurant was brunch with my wife, granddaughter and her friend. Delicious food, difficult to make up our minds about the menu choices because there were so many that sounded wonderful. The three different entrees we ordered were all scrumptious. The biscuits were heavenly and the grits were marvelous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food in Raleigh!ChrisDined on 7/25/2014I've been to many restaurants in Raleigh that claim to be the best, but Mandolin is a step above the rest. I've been to very nice restaurants in many cities across the U.S. and Mandolin beat them all. It's my new favorite place to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dined aloneBiffSpurrsDined on 7/24/2014Best pork chop ever.. Most interesting goat cheese cake dessert ever. Great service. This was my first time at the Mandolin. Wife was out of town. Will bring her next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Excellent in all aspects! Creative menu and delicious salad and entrees. Blueberry tiramisu! Yes! Unique , spectacular! Staff makes you feel welcomed the minute you walkin the door without being overbearing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantknightjcbDined on 7/19/2014The food and service here were both top notch! Highly recommend this restaurant! Nice change of pace from the majority of places in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding eveningKafkaShoreDined on 7/15/2014We had a lovely evening at mandolin on a rainy, nasty night. We were waited on expertly and the food was outstanding. The sea scallop appetizer was off-the-charts excellent. Plan on making Mandolin a regular visit, it's a great upscale place without a touch of pretentiousness.Special Features:
- Mandolin is greatRTPerDined on 7/11/2014It's pretty simple, really. Not fussy or pretentious, just great ingredients prepared in interesting ways. Nice cocktails as well. Just a wonderful place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome night outAlexDined on 7/11/2014Once again Mandolin exceeds expectations! Every time I go to this restaurant it seems like I enjoy it even more than the last time. Service is great. Food is phenomenal. I introduced some friends to Mandolin on this latest visit and I know they will be back! Thanks to the owners and staff for another wonderful night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant, Wondering Svc!JulieBDined on 7/6/2014Great local food and wonderful service. They have all fresh ingredients and buy local whenvever possible so their menu fluctuates with the seasons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite Chicken and WafflesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014One of my favorite places. The food is amazing I have had dinner and brunch here. I would strongly recommend Mandolin to anyone looking to enjoy local flavors.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014We absolutely love this restaurant. Chef Fowler, Lizzie & the whole team take such wonderful care of us every time we come in. This particular occasion was in celebration of my parents 42nd anniversary. Our server, Christian, was excellently thoughtful, warm and gracious. The menu & food were, as always, impeccable - the cheese plate was heavenly, and my father's dream of trying 'chicken & waffles' was an amazing first experience. My mother and I ate a bit lighter after our cheese & starter courses and had the vegetarian eggplant entrée that was delicious. My husband ordered the tilefish that was some of the best I had ever tasted. Thank you so much for a beautiful, wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Love this place2010boxsterVIPDined on 7/5/2014This is my new favorite spot. Consistently great food and service. We love the idea of more locally sourced foods. YumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mandolin is qualityboundaryDined on 7/2/2014Excellent meal and atmosphere; service top notch but unobstrusiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Might have been an off nightdinnersreadyDined on 7/2/2014I was very excited to dine at Mandolin but was disappointed in the food. One friend had an appetizer with absolutely no seasoning - very bland. Another had the chicken and waffles and the waffles were burned, could not believe that they were even brought to the table that way. Scallops were way over seasoned and the panzanella salad was more like a salad with really big croutons as opposed to a true panzanella. The peach salad was fantastic as was the sardine and watermelon appetizer and tile fish entrée.
- Another great mealboundaryDined on 6/29/2014Sunday evening I introduced two young friends to Mandolin. WIN-WIN. The food was excellent, the quantities enormous and the service very attentive. The only flaw was trying to park. A mere inconvenience in a welter of success.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2014I can't say enough good things!! This was our first visit and I'm sorry we waited so long to try this amazing place. My hubby is super picky, so getting him to try new places is tough. Both of us were just blown away with the entire experience. The food was incredible, fresh, and so uniquely prepared. Presentation was beautiful and the service was incredible. Thanks Kathy!!! If you haven't been, make it a priority. You won't regret it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for locals and vistorseatoutreviewsDined on 6/23/2014This was a first visit, and I brought clients, co-workers and spouses, making me somewhat apprehensive - took a bit of a leap of faith based on other reviews and am very glad I did. Monday evening had few patrons, so ambient noise was low. Food and drinks, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic, were outstanding, beef dishes being stars but all items ordered were well-received. Service was attentive and friendly. One of the local guests has very high standards, and paid a high compliment when he said he would return; there are few restaurants in the Triangle that fall in that bucket for him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.