2519 Fairview Rd
Raleigh, NC 27608Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mandolinraleigh.com/
- Phone: (919) 322-0365
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm, Sunday: 10:30am- 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm -10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sean Fowler
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Mandolin offers a refined, intimate private dining experience for parties ranging from 10-18 people for lunch and dinner. We have a secluded dining room that is equipped with a 46" LCD television for presentations and slide shows. We offer special prixe fixe menus for private parties, as well as passed hors d'oeuvres and cocktail hours. Please allow at least three weeks notice to reserve our private dining room. We require a credit card to reserve this room and to book parties of 10 and more, and we charge a fee for cancellations made less than 24 hours before a reservation. We look forward to helping you celebrate your company parties, birthdays, rehearsal diners, and graduations.
- Private Party Contact: Lizzy Fisher 9193220365x
- Entertainment: Live music Tuesday Night!
- Special Events: Our private dining room is perfect for group dinners, intimate parties, meetings, and rehearsal dinners.
- Cross Street: Oberlin
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We have ample parking in multiple locations as well as Valet Service on Friday and Saturday nights. We have street parking in front of the restaurant on Fairview Rd. We have a parking lot beside the Red Dragon. We also have use of the parking lot behind State Farm and Hungry Howie"s with its entrance on Oberlin Rd. Finally, after 5:00 PM and all day on the weekends, we offer parking at the offices, located on the opposite side of the Oberlin-Fariview intersection from the Mandolin.
A word from Mandolin
Mandolin is a breath of fresh air to the Raleigh dining scene, combining a casual atmosphere with fresh, contemporary, Southern fare. Mandolin uses the highest quality local ingredients to create seasonal menus that resonate with foodies and casual diners, alike. We share our food in a relaxed, cozy atmosphere that replaces the stuffiness of fine-dining with Southern charm. The menu and ambiance reflect the character of Raleigh itself- a blend of rustic and refined, contemporary and traditional, rural and metropolitan. Mandolin, like the City of Oaks, is Southern at its roots, but draws influences from around the world. We love our new home in Hayes Barton, just a stone's throw from Five Points, on the corner of Oberlin and Fairview.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Mandolin - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
Mandolin reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (111)neighborhood gem (103)special occasion (84)romantic (56)notable wine list (46)great for brunch (38)good for groups (36)great for outdoor dining (19)hot spot (15)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (3)Show More
- An hour and a half drive to eat at Mandolin...LouisaDined on 11/21/2014Oysters Mandolin was an exceptional appetizer... flavors, textures, and presentation made it a WOW. Grilled Seven Springs Pork Chop was equally wonderful. Meat was succulent and contrasts between the Collard Kimchee and Black-Eyed Peas made it one of the best entrees I've ever eaten. These two positives, however, were balanced by the ordinary Seared NC Flounder and the Sweet Potato Cheesecake Trifle, which was our greatest disappointment. At least half of the appeal of trifle is its presentation and having this trifle served in a small canning jar was beyond belief....I shook my head and wondered if I had been transported to Cracker Barrel. The flavor of the trifle layers was nothing special, but were were fortunate that our delightful waitperson, who recommended it, insisted on removing it from our tab.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yet againJHG8VIPDined on 11/18/2014Another fine meal as we brought guests from LA to enjoy a farm to table culinary experience. Loved the Grenache choice from the waitress; very subdued service, as I require. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeDDined on 11/15/2014The courtesy valet parking was a nice touch. We were seated promptly and our waitress was knowledgeable and friendly. Wine and an appetizer arrived promptly; however, our entrees took over 45 minutes to arrive and we didn't order anything that would justify that long a wait. The waitress mentioned something about a group tying up the kitchen staff. We did notice a blast of cold air everytime someone entered the restaurant. They might want to think about some type of entry foyer to shield the closer tables from artic blasts during the winter. The food, while on the pricey side, was excellent. Mandolin does a great job of using local, natural ingredients to make interesting dishes. Our group of 4 enjoyed the evening and would recommend Mandolin without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RepriseJHG8VIPDined on 11/9/2014Another fine meal from a brilliant chef. Service is always spotty her, but the food makes up for it.Special Features:
- Excellent MeallednameVIPDined on 11/2/2014This was our first time at Mandolin. The food and service were fantastic. We had the chicken and waffles and chicken pot pie entrees. They were both excellent. The service exceeded expectations and our meal was completed with coffee served in a French press. Fantastic! We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/2/2014Only complaint was our waiter. He was SLOW and couldn't seem to remember what anyone ordered. We've had him a few different times and it's always the same. But all withstanding, the food, location and vibe make it work it.Special Features:
- SALTY, SALTY, SALTYJOBAYDined on 11/1/2014We arrived early so we had a drink at the bar. Service there was VERY slow. The bartender spent more time making drinks for the dining room than he did for the patrons at the bar (which was full to capacity). They could've used a second bartender or at least someone qualified to jump in when too busy. Our table was ready 30 minutes after our reservation time. No big deal to us but the waiter was annoyed since we wanted to finish our drinks at the bar before we sat down. Waiter was arrogant. Average at best. Food was SOOOOOO SALTY!!!! Everything on the plate was cooked to perfection but it was impossible to get past the salty taste. Blamed it on the new sous chefs in the kitchen and gave us a comped dessert. Overall disappointing.Special Features:
- EnjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014First time to Mandolin. Very nice. Loved the food, the service, the furnishings. We will be back.Special Features:
- Always greatDiner2Dined on 10/25/2014Never disappoints. Food always great! Best in Raleigh!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mandolin - refreshingluvfoodDined on 10/22/2014Great restaurant with a unique menu. Loved the chicken and waffles and looking forward to trying other dishes. The service was outstanding. Our waiter was attentive but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food and ServiceSeattleswedeDined on 10/20/2014Was in Raleigh attending a conference. Had dinner with a colleague one night and it was so spectacular, I took a group of 8 back the next night. Was going to try for a third night but that will have to wait for my next visit to Raleigh. Outstanding food, farm to fork, prepared well and presented beautifully. A must visit when in Raleigh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findOutstandingDined on 10/19/2014wonderful food and service in a neighborhood kind of place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousTwoFoodiesDined on 10/18/2014We loved the ambiance. The ambiance totally fits the theme. Very appropriate. The food was delicious and the service was great. We will dine there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Fantastic!!!foodiefilesDined on 10/18/2014I celebrated my wedding day with my daughters and girlfriends at Mandolin. We had a beautifully prepared lunch with the most amazing bottle of Meursault. Nick and the rest of the service staff took wonderful care of us, even stopping to snap a few pictures. We will most certainly return for many more amazing meals, thank you so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousElaineDined on 10/17/2014We came in from out of town and wanted a fine meal without any fuss. Mandolin fit the bill beautifully. Our waiter made excellent recommendations and everything we ate was delicious: cream of cauliflower soup, chicken and waffles and duck breast entree. All the details of the dishes were perfect. The dining room was about half full and we could hear each other speak without too much problem. But if it had been full, I think the noise level would have been overwhelming due to brick floor and high ceiling. The only thing we might criticize is that the cocktails were somewhat flat: not much alcohol, and the Muleskinner seemed a bit heavy on the cinnamon and too light on the ginger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findMemphisRedDined on 10/17/2014This was our first time to dine with Mandolin. We'll definitely return. My partner had the chicken and waffles. The chicken was cooked perfectly and tasted great. The accompanying greens were well seasoned and the buckwheat waffles were different. I had the duck breast with potatoes, mushrooms, and greens. I have to say it was the best duck I have ever eaten. Sometime duck can be gamey tasting but this breast was delicious with it's crispy skin. We had the moon pie and sorbet trio for dessert. The moon pie was good but difficult to eat. I think the cookie and marshmallow filling were too hard. The accompanying banana ice cream was excellent. The sorbet trio was a muscadine, apple, and African tea. They were all very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit underwhelmedElizVIPDined on 10/17/2014This was my second visit to a Mandolin . The first was Mother's Day brunch, which left me very disappointed. I decided to get it another try, this time for dinner. On the positive side, the ambience is very appealing, soothing, yet lively and our waiter was excellent, very personable and had an impressive knowledge of the menu. The down side was the food. My husband, son and myself were underwhelmed. We tried a variety of dishes and the only one I would try again was the delicious cauliflower soup. The "moon pie" dessert was hard, crumby and lacked flavor; however the banana ice cream served with it was full of favor. I hope the kitchen improves, I really want this restaurant to be a success.Special Features:
- Wonderful place for celebrationsJandHDined on 10/16/2014We celebrated a special occasion with friends, lovely food, lovely service, lovely atmosphere. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and Service.TimbDined on 10/16/2014The first course had a variety of interesting choices. We had two and both were outstanding. Dinner choices were also far from mundane. Our waiter was was knowledgeable and attentive. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite PlaceLeoJDined on 10/12/2014Whether I am with business associates or family from out of town this is my favorite place to bring folks. The quality of the food is always outstanding. This time I had someone with me with a dietary issue and the chef was able to remove one ingredient that made all the difference to my guest. With a specialized menu, that has specific ingredients, this kind of change is not always easy to do. But that care that the chef took made the difference to my guest. I really appreciated it. I come here not only for the quality of the food but the friendliness staff. We are always greeted warmly when we come as if we were family. Mandolin is sure to become a local gem.Special Features:
- Fit for foodie family!run2eatchocolateDined on 10/8/2014We enjoyed dining at Mandolin... our food was amazing and we would come back again with friends, family or as a date night for two of us. The chicken and waffles were yummy-licious (is that a word?) and the pork belly appetizer was pork-heaven. Love love love the Mandolin!Special Features:
- Unique dining experienceDickDined on 10/6/2014Use of local ingredients and every day is a new menu. Nice offering of unique dishes with little attention to being a red meat expert. Great example of a neighborhood gourmet offering.Special Features:
- Our first trip was a winnerJoCoDinerDined on 10/5/2014My wife and I made our first trip to Mandolin this weekend and it was a great experience. We were met by one of the owners, who invited us in and welcomed us to our debut at her establishment. We received a nice windowside seat and were treated to prompt service and an excellent dinner and desert. The wine list was fantastic and our meals arrived promptly, hot and fresh. I ordered the shrimp and grits and they were delicious. We had a great evening out and we'll be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectations!JenkVIPDined on 10/3/2014I recently discovered Mandolin for brunch, having been in the neighborhood and wanting to find a nice place to unwind. It met my expectations so much so that I decided return for my husband's birthday several weeks later. We were not disappointed!! The food was outstanding (best cream of cauliflower soup ever, and I don't like cauliflowers!), and the service was first class, starting with our host when we arrived, to our wonderful waitress and other servers, we had a great experience and feel we have really found a great local restaurant much like those we had in Chicago and Cleveland. What a Raleigh gem!!Special Features:
- great service and foodsplashDined on 9/30/2014This is a great neighborhood new southern food restaurant, with excellent service, food and staffSpecial Features:
- CharmingKathyackVIPDined on 9/28/2014This is the kind of place I wish I lived by, so that I could walk to it regularly, and enjoy a great dinner among friends! The decor is simple (canning jars on the shelves and potted herbs on each table, brick flooring), the staff well-trained and efficient. The menu offers far-ranging choices, all prepared in inventive combinations emphasizing the farm to table philosophy. All that being said... the Chicken and Waffles are amazing!Special Features:
- ExcellenceboundaryDined on 9/27/2014Another excellent meal - the restaurant keeps to a very high standardSpecial Features:
- Great find!AnnaDined on 9/26/2014I've driven past Mandolin so many times. I'm so glad my husband and I finally made a point to go. When we arrived at Mandolin, the hostess gave us some backstory on the restaurant. She said that she and her husband had opened the restaurant three years ago and that they "prided themselves on not having a freezer." Loved that. Everything was so fresh and locally sourced, included the seafood which was caught on the NC coast. Excellent, and I mean EXCELLENT, service. Attentive and knowledgeable, the staff went above and beyond to provide us with an excellent dining experience. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- good food; bad wine recommendationsTraceyDined on 9/26/2014Good, nicely done food; good variety of choices. Waitress recommended wine that was way too sweet! BUT do not pass up the chocolate souffle!!! Worth the few minutes extra!!!! I'd go back for that alone!!!Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2014This was my second trip to Mandolin. It was just as amazing this time!! The service was impeccable and our waiter was very helpful in our entree decisions. Everyone in our party had an amazing meal...chicken & waffles, pork chop, hangar steak, and lamb were delicious. I will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/21/2014Dined here recently with my spouse and was a bit disappointed. We've been there several times before and had previously enjoyed our food very much. This time, each of the three dishes we ordered were disappointing. I don't know if there is a new chef or what. The soup of the day was a cauliflower soup with mushrooms and fried chicken skin strips ... very little flavor. Then ordered fish of the day, which has caper berries on it ... ooh, bad decision to add those very bitter / very strong caper berries to the dish. My spouse ordered lamb entree which was served like a stew with large beans. The taste was okay but it was a strange combination and consistency. We'll likely try again but not soon. Service & atmosphere were good.Special Features:
- Attention to detailDave29Dined on 9/20/2014All aspects of the restaurant seem to be consciously arranged from the décor to the food. Cocktails are creative and fresh and the wine list is made up of well structured wines thoughtfully selected to accompany the dishes created by the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Neighborhood GemJenkVIPDined on 9/20/2014I was pleasantly surprised by this quaint yet chic restaurant. The food (brunch) was terrific and the staff pleasant and attentive. I will definitely return for dinner!Special Features:
- RomanceMarinetommyDined on 9/18/2014Celebrated our 15 anniversary. They treat you well. Food was great! A little loud but it looks like we picked a night when they had a bachelorette party. We'll be back again and again.Special Features:
- Farm to Table QualityJHG8VIPDined on 9/18/2014A lovely choice for the F/T crowd. Excellent wine list, beautiful food well presented. Service was paced - a rarity today. Server recognized our in depth personal conversation and allowed the food to flow slowly. Two hour meal on Thursday evening - what a gem. We shall return. Even good parking.Special Features:
- Fancy Tuesday Night DinnerLaFoodieDined on 9/16/2014For a regular ole Tuesday night dinner...it sure was divine! The Tuna Tartar and Sea Scallops were impeccable, and an addof a simple side salad was the perfect meal! The other meals at my table were wonderful as well! Thanks Mandolin for a prefect Tuesday Night Birthday Dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slajDined on 9/16/2014Dined with 6, and everyone was very pleased Had absolutely delicious pork chop dish. Really nice chocolate soufflé.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood vibe!nfspDined on 9/14/2014Went for Sunday brunch. The food was really good and the service was excellent! I would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Great brunchDavisDined on 9/14/20142nd time here. Would recommend this place for groups, couples or families. For the most part, food was very good as was service (particularly shrimp and grits this time). Beignets need some work - they were kind of heavy and not very sweet. But overall, would recommend this place for brunch, lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Have only been able to enjoy brunch at Mandolin. The Country Ham Eggs Benedict are delicious!Special Features: