3345 El Camino Real
Palo Alto, CA 94306Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mandarinroots.com/
- Phone: 6505658868x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday: 11:00am-2:00pm, 5:00pm-9pm
Wednesday: 11:00am-2:00pm, 5:00pm-9pm
Thursday: 11:00am-2:00pm, 5:00pm-10pm
Friday: 11:00am-2:00pm, 5:00pm-10pm
Saturday: 11:00am-3:00pm, 5:00pm-10pm
Sunday: 10:00am-3:00pm, 5:00pm-9pm
Happy Hour: M-F 5:00pm-8:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am-3:00pm Asian Brunch/ Bottomless Mimosas
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Asian, Chinese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jarvis Yuan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from Mandarin Roots
Mandarin Roots offers a fresh approach to grandma's traditional Chinese cuisine. Acknowledging our roots, we combine contemporary & classic techniques & ingredients for an updated menu to give you a unique & amazing dining experience. We have many dishes for meat lovers including Mongolian Beef with grass feed beef, onions, scallions, Mongolian bbq sauce served table side over a small flame; & Pork Belly Quesadilla with scallion flatbread, Mozzarella & smoked Gouda cheese, & mango Kimchee emulsion. If you love seafood, try our Grilled Chilean Seabass with roasted peppercorn sauce, summer squash noodles, lemon confit, carrot ribbons. We have many dishes for vegetarians & we are able to make some dishes gluten free upon request. To enhance your meal, we offer a great selection of wines and draft/bottled beers. Our bar also features one of a kind craft cocktails, using fresh juices and premium liquor. We promise that you will be hooked after your first visit! See you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mandarin Roots reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (15)neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (9)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (6)special occasion (4)romantic (4)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great ambience, stellar foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2014Everything was perfect ... Except the parking which is an absolute painSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ask for the Happy Hour menuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014The best "small plates" are on the Half-price Happy-Hour menu - which is not provided unless you ask for it, even though we sat outside. The unhealthy options - such as the calamari and pork "quesadilla" - looked especially tasty on the adjacent table, especially after they told me they were half-price. Our chicken lettuce wraps were adequate. The "fried tofu" appetizer was disappointing and not worth the $10 they asked for it - get the ma po tofu, instead. The sides we got - ma po tofu and asparagus - were pretty good; they were both tossed with the same red sauce. The "sichuan" chicken we ordered was the same size as the sides and relatively uneventful - although it was a different red sauce. Serving sizes are modest, not over-sized.
- Another fine mealCarolCVIPDined on 8/22/2014Despite some confused service, the food was its usual delicious self, the prix fixe was right and we brought some soup home for the next day. We're thrilled to add this to our go-to restaurant list....
- Good Place for Business DinnercasualDinerDined on 8/14/2014Upscale, but relaxed, interesting food, not to noisy. Great for a night out with friends or colleaguesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the food!CarolCVIPDined on 8/14/2014My first visit--lunch with a girlfriend--excellent. Slow weekday, service was fairly quick. The Prix Fixe is an incredible deal--a nice sized entree, rice with a brown option, one eggroll and cup of soup, all prepared well. I had prix fixe orange peel chicken, she had walnut prawns and eggdrop (not prix fixe). Lovely ambience. We'll be coming again, for certain and often! Hubby and I plan to try dinner, since after I talked about it, he is anxious to try it. Highly recommend. Our usual go-to in Sunnyvale has fallen short last 2 visits so this will be a nice change.Special Features:
- Unable to handle high demandOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/8/2014They have very good food but are currently unable to handle the high demand. We had a reservation for 7:30 pm for a party of 2 and there were 5 other parties also booked at the same time. In addition, there were 3 tables empty right in front of us and the hostess said they are not seating right now because they are waiting for the kitchen to catch up. Given that my wife & I work pretty long hours and don't get to spend a lot of time together, it was huge let down for us to come in and find out that there is a 25-30 mins wait even though we have a confirmed reservation. So we decided to leave and go to another restaurant. I say again, the food is great and I would definitely like to come back but only after they get their act together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very good Chinese restaurantoftenouttastingVIPDined on 8/8/2014For dinner my Husband and I ordered mostly appetizers and a rice noodle dish. The food was nicely presented and quite good. My only compliant was that the tuna appetizer was bland. We will return.Special Features:
- Outstanding restaurantEva1Dined on 7/11/2014Manderin roots is the reinvention of Hunan Garden which has been a favorite of ours for years. Jarvis the owners son has taken over and put his signature on the menu. The dishes are fresh, upscale, visually pleasing and delicious. Jarvis ihas added some interesting cocktails and hired a pastry chef so from start to finish it's a fantastic meal. I highly recommend this restaurant I think it will become one of your favorites also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simon & his Team ROCK!!!valdrVIPDined on 7/1/2014Personally and Professionally we have been patrons of Mandarin Roots (formerly Hunan Garden) for more than 10+ years. They's put a new twist on some of the traditional dishes and have definitley taken the entire menu to a whole new level. We have used Hunan Garden for the past three years for our Annual Chinese New Year's luncheon at work and I'm so very excited for next year's menu with them as Mandarin Roots. I'd give them 6 stars if I could! ~Rose (Alston & Bird LLP - Silicon Valley)Special Features:
- OpentableDinerVIPDined on 6/22/2014The peking duck with buns was delicious. The side vegetable dishes were good too.Special Features:
- Awesome rebirth of Hunan Garden!PaloAltanVIPDined on 6/20/2014We were regulars at Hunan Garden (what Mandarin roots was before remodeling and renaming) for 15+ years and eagerly waited for the reopening. The father and son team did not disappoint at all! They kept some of their old hits but added an amazing list of tapas style appetizers. Kalbi beef taco was better than those from popular food trucks. Ahi Poke was seasoned perfectly and served with taro chips. Pork belly quesadilla was finger licking delicious! Corn and seaweed tempura is a must try as well. Leave room for dessert. Pineapple upside down cake was very yummy with a hint of coconut. Coffee ice-cream with waffle reminded me of my coffee runs at Blue Bottle. We pigged out but the check came out to be very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 0 reviews are from the Mandarin Roots reviews archive.