Mamma Tanino's Ristorante
500 W. Napa Street
Sonoma, CA 95476Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Mamma Tanino's Ristorante
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://mammataninos.com/
- Phone: 7079338826
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Gaetano Patrinostro
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Chef Gaetano Patrinostro can create a custom menu for your event based on your budget and theme. His culinary training includes Italian, French, Spanish, Mediterranean, and Californian/American cuisine.
- Private Party Facilities: The Broderick Room can accommodate up to 20 people and is the back dining room.
For a buyout we can accommodate up to 50 people inside with a nice size patio for reception.
- Private Party Contact: Kimberley Patrinostro 7079338826
- Entertainment: We offer group cooking classes in which you and your group can choose the menu or have the chef put one together based on skill level.
For current events see web site.
A word from Mamma Tanino's Ristorante
Four blocks west of "The Square' tucked in the Sonoma Valley Center, Italian born chef, Gaetano Patrinostro uses a combination of the freshest local products and Italian imports to prepare authentic Italian cuisine. His pasta sauces are based on the region of origin, seafood and steaks are cooked to perfection and the desserts are not to be missed. Mamma Tanino's is an off The Square locals favorite and the at home feeling makes out of towners love this place.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Mamma Tanino's Ristorante - Best Restaurants in Sonoma ›
Mamma Tanino's Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)fit for foodies (23)special occasion (6)kid-friendly (6)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (4)romantic (2)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- wonderful as alwaysPacaDined on 10/14/2014We are locals, eat here often. The food is always wonderful, perfectly prepared, and the service excellent. Don't know how they do it, the kitchen is teensy!! Great wines, love their fresh fish entrees and the fabulous pastas. Friendly and hospitable.Special Features:
- First time visit.EarlyDiner2Dined on 10/11/2014My husband and I recently had dinner here for the first time-------he esp. loved the easy parking. The food was very good.......the sauce on my spinach and cheese ravioli was outstanding and his veal was tender and delicious. The Caesar salad was large enough to split and arrived perfectly dressed. Service was unhurried which gave us time to relax and enjoy a glass of wine. The Tiramisu portion was huge and one of the best I've tasted. Those sitting nearby were enthusiastic, repeat customers and we will definitely return.Special Features:
- amazing ItalianCJJLMDDined on 10/9/2014A wonderful hole in the wall in the corner of a shopping center. Food is amazing fresh and creative. Best eggplant and best gnocchi i have ever tastedSpecial Features:
- Nice dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/8/2014This restaurant is an average neighborhood Italian restaurant, the food is good not great, the atmosphere is good, the service was good. Your average little Italian restaurant ...nothing to write home aboutI would recommend this to a friend.
- Mamma TaninoSallyDined on 10/8/2014A great hidden neighborhood restaurant (in the Sonoma Market shopping center) with authentic Italian food. The veal parmagiana was excellent and the veggies cooked al dente. The petrale sole was also very fresh and well prepared. The special appetizer of asparagus with pesto and burrata cheese was very original and tasty but realizing asparagus is not in season, the cost of $18 is still much too high. There were not even enough asparagus to justify the cost-suggest more asparagus and one third less of the burrata cheese. The waiter should have advised us of the price. Although quite friendly servers, especially the Nepalese gal, the first course took a very long time to come out -soup and salad. The bread basket is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinerheavenDined on 10/4/2014Great Italian food, everything very fresh and perfectly prepared, with generous portions so you don't leave hungry. Wine list has mostly Italian wines with a few Sonoma County choices. House wines were very decent. We were there on a Saturday night. Our only complaint: there was a large group dining at the same time as my husband and me and it was very noisy and difficult for us to hear each other.Special Features:
- Not what we were expecting.agt4tvlDined on 10/1/2014This small Italian Restaurant had a friendly family feeling. Located in a strip mall it had no atmosphere and I think the owners could have tried much harder on this score. The menu is limited. However, the food quality was very good but not exceptional. The prices were very reasonable. Maybe our visit was influenced by the loud party seated across from us.Special Features:
- best Italian Food in SonomaSonomatravelerVIPDined on 9/30/2014If you want a great meal, this is the place to come. The menu is varied and the ingredients are top drawer, and the chef/owner delivers every time.Special Features:
- Good food , too nosiy to enjoyWineguruDined on 9/27/2014Their polenta with mushroom sauce is out of this world. We have been their twice . The first time it was so noisy it was almost painful and we hurried our dinner to be able to leave. The second time we went early to avoid the crowd and the same thing happened. We love the owners and staff, and the food is quite good, but unless we can sit outside, we won't be going again.Special Features:
- Great kitchen, a local favoritesonomastanVIPDined on 9/26/2014This restaurant has a wonderful kitchen. The chef/owner is from Lucca and brings his cooking talents with him. Food is terrific and could benefit from a warmer and better space. The service is local and friendly. If your are looking for a place locals favor do try this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NighteastsiderDined on 9/26/2014Great spot. Easy walk from Sonoma Square area. Great smells when you walk in followed up by friendly people and wonderful food. We will plan to go back when we are back in the Wine Country.Special Features:
- LAfoodloversTravelingbyClanVIPDined on 9/12/2014We had a wonderful meal at Mamma Tanino's. Every dish our party had was excellent. The homemade pasta was so light, the veal milanese was tender and perfectly breaded, and the fish was delicious. The service was very personal and attentive. They combined two dishes to create the appetizer we wanted for the table. And the desserts were wonderful to top off the lovely dinner. I would certainly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a home-cooked delicious meal.Special Features:
- Extremely disappointing.GingeDined on 9/9/2014The owner was down right rude. My friends pasta was too salty, she couldn't eat it. The eggplant Parmesan was over cooked and mushy. Not going back.
- Very good Italian food. Worth a tryreachN2VIPDined on 8/30/2014We were torn on whether to try this place or not because Open Table showed the restaurant had times for every slot. How does a small restaurant have times open for every slot if they are half way good. We did end up going there and every table was booked except ours, which was reserved. It was comforting seeing the place busy so we gave it a shot and it was definitely worth it. Very good food. Nice service and good value.Special Features:
- Exceeded High ExpectationstntrialVIPDined on 8/29/2014We had a mixed group of locals and visitors, including Italian-food fanatics who are hard to impress. All had a fantastic meal. We ordered a suite of salads and antipasta, all of which were fabulous. Not only is the regular menu varied, interesting, and full of really nice dishes, there were a host of specials to select from. Our group of 7 ordered a mix of both. Not only was each dish beautiful, the portions were spot on (not too large) - just enough to share a bit with others, but still have a great meal, but all the various dishes complemented each other, without us even trying to do so. Service was impeccable. They welcomed us bringing our own wine no problem. If only all restaurants were this fantastic! Bellissimo!Special Features:
- pine2dineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014Food is consisently good, creative and appealing to the eye and senses. Service is very friendly and accommodating and "johnny-on-the-spot. Will try to work you in at the last minute. It is definitely a great neighborhood spot for a wonderful Italian dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Lovely little neighborhood spot with very good food including a very long list of nightly specials.Special Features:
- YUMbubbiesusuDined on 8/15/2014Always great. esp the mushroom and polenta as a starter. Staff is on top of it.Special Features:
- Always satisfying!AranellaVIPDined on 8/8/2014The food and service are consistently excellent. The location is "tucked away" and, while everything possible has been done to make the space comfortable and inviting it is part of a shopping center so not "lovely" . That being said, we know if Mama Tanino's was on The Square impromptu dinners would be a memory...Special Features:
- Yummy and great service!dzpell3Dined on 8/5/2014We went here with 2 couples and had a great time. We were served by the wife of the chef and she was amazing and very personable. The food was great! The wine was perfect and when we wanted another bottle she graciously showed us that there was a shopping mart in the shopping center where we could buy it. Since it's in a strip center the scenery isn't fabulous but the food makes up for it. We were able to sit at the table outside and enjoy the night time weather. It sounded pretty loud inside but I can't be 100% sure since we were able to sit outside.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Always most enjoyable and delicious meals. It is the place we bring our guests who are visiting Sonoma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious ItalianFeliciaDined on 7/29/2014Very friendly ambiance, great pasta dishes warm welcome! The only negative is that it is located in a strip mall next to Sonoma Market - off the bustle of the main square. The offset is that you get a tasty meal at a good price.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014Really great food! It's always really good! A great choice!Special Features:
- Another excellent mealBarbaratynanDined on 7/25/2014We have eaten here several times since it opened and it never fails to please us. If the chef has fresh Petrale sole on the menu, do not pass it up.Special Features:
- A Greatb FindhfiersDined on 7/16/2014Food:5 star, real chef Italian (not an Olive Garden); good portions; homemade canolli! Service: 5 star, family owned (chef's wife served us along with waitress) Ambience: quaint small Italian styled ristorante; nicely decorated. Found Mama's on TripAdvisor and Open Table while visiting Sonoma. Definitelyworth a trip to. Would return again if in area.Special Features:
- Mamma MiaBrunoDined on 7/10/2014Excellent dinner and so authentic Italian cuisine.Special Features:
- Best in Sonoma!BornAtLunchtimeDined on 7/9/2014Classic Continental Cuisine.....the Gnocchi melted like butter with lovely sauce.......Filet of Sole highest quality with delicate sauce....Truly Outstanding!!Special Features:
- Specials a dealSonomaJayDined on 7/8/2014Food good but not great $15 early specials a deal, else pricier than should be
- Birthday Embarassmentfoodieuf4VIPDined on 7/5/2014I booked this restaurant for my sister's 50th birthday. We were coming in from out of town. I was embarrassed by it ambiance. It started outside. We couldn't find the entrance door. We walked in and thought it was the exit only find out it was the entrance. The sagging draperies, old wood tables and chairs did not add to it. The food was okay. My husband literally, had 3 scallop potatoes on his plate. We believe the kitchen was trying to stretch the potatoes to make it through the night. They were out of egg plant parmesan and several desserts. Took forever for our food to come after we ordered. -Over an hour! It was also very loud in the restaurant. Server was rude and curt, like we were annoying her for being there.
- FantasticKnoctiDined on 7/5/2014Absolutely fantastic. Pasta bolognese was to die for!! Just excellent.
- Terrible ServersOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/5/2014This is the second time we dined here. We had a similar experience the first time but this time it was totally unacceptable. We brought our Son and Wife. The server from the start was loud and pushy. They were very rough putting all the plates on the table and cramming things together. We had to ask for forks, three separate times, as they took them away with every course and they had real attitude when we asked them to bring them back. We waited at least 20-30 minutes for our main course to arrive. We are locals and love to support our restaurants. I hope they make some big changes with the servers and the food needs some improvement too!
- The following 249 reviews are from the Mamma Tanino's Ristorante reviews archive.
- It doesn't get better than thisOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/24/2014Mamma Taninos is the real deal. Great, authentic Italian food from an incredible chef, Gaitano. His eggplant parmigiano has no equal. It's melt in your mouth good. We've never had a bad dish at Mamma's and consider it our go-to restaurant in Sonoma. This husband/wife team is a great asset to Sonoma dining.Special Features:
- Small restaurant, big flavors.AfoodieDined on 6/14/2014We went here with a group of eight before the theatre. Very accommodating; our server was great. I ordered one of the specials, Petrale Sole which was perfectly cooked in a sage butter sauce! My husband had the eggplant parmigiana which was delicious. We shared the fried mozzarella with another couple and it was amazing. All around, a good experience.Special Features:
- What a FindOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/11/2014We stumbled onto Mama Tanino's on a trip to the California wine country and couldn't have been luckier. The food was amazing, service excellent and setting very comfortable. We'll be here a week and I'm sure will return.Special Features:
- Fabulous Food every time!PastajunkieDined on 6/7/2014We are never disappointed when we dine here. The food is always fresh, always delicious, and we love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little find, must try!FooooDDined on 6/3/2014Wonderful place. You know it's great food when the owners are actually cooking the food and running the front of the house. Seared balsamic scallops with arugula were amazing....sea bass dinner special was perfect. My hubby had the 3 cheese tortellini special and it was one of the best we've ever had. Service was attentive and friendly. Made my husbands birthday special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never failsRaymondDined on 5/30/2014Mama Tanino's continues to be a really good neighborhood restaurant. The food is extremely well prepared, and you are always made to feel at home.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/24/2014Excellent neighborhood gem-- wonderful staff and equally as great food. A must try while in Sonoma.Special Features:
- mamma TaninosOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2014We enjoyed our anniversary evening at Mamma Tanino's. Nice local spot in a strip mall, good food and wine. however crowded and a bit noisy. There was a slight problem in the kitchen with my appetizer....wait staff should have informed us sooner. We had to wait quite a while between courses. They did comp us at the end of the evening.Special Features:
- A MUST IN SONOMAMuschiDined on 5/21/2014If you are looking for a meal that tastes like it just came out of your Italian mom's kitchen, you just have to try Mamma Tanino's in Sonoma. An unpretentious restaurant tucked away in a strip mall - with a welcoming, friendly and very helpful staff. My husband and I shared the Eggplant Parmesano and the Veal Milanese, accompanied with a glass of the lovely house red, a primitivo. Our meal was simply delicious. Can't wait to go back! Thank you Kimberly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.