3 North Square
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mammamaria.com/
- Phone: (617) 523-0077
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Geraldo Andrade/Julio Torres
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, View, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Mamma Maria offers elegant private dining available 7 nights a week. With five separate dining rooms, we are able to serve all your private dining needs.
Piccolo Room accommodates 2 -6
Puccini Room accommodates 10 -16
Terrace Room accommodates 18 -30
Rossini Room accommodates 20 - 40
Verdi Room accommodates 40 -50
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Mancuso 6175230077x2
A word from Mamma Maria
Nationally acclaimed Italian cuisine served in five elegant dining rooms within an historic 1830 brick townhouse overlooking America's oldest public square - North Square - in the heart of Boston's North End neighborhood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Mamma Maria - Best Restaurants in North End ›
Mamma Maria reviews from OpenTable diners
277 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (178)romantic (176)fit for foodies (153)neighborhood gem (139)notable wine list (92)scenic view (48)good for groups (32)hot spot (20)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/12/2014Superior service and outstanding food. We dined at Mamma Maria for our anniversary and the entire experience was both fine and memorable.Special Features:
- Over-ratedEJL1VIPDined on 11/9/2014Food was not remarkable, noise level too high to be romantic, though the setting is lovely. Tables too close and service just a average.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/9/2014Great authentic italian food and full wine selection as usual. Only complaint is that the restaurant is always so full that having an intimate dinner for 2 is a little difficult.Special Features:
- All Around Great Dining ExperienceSammyDined on 11/9/2014Seasonal ingredients, many locally sourced. Beautiful plating. Great menu for both fish and meat lovers with vegetarian options. Italian in style and seasoning. White tablecloths, elegant decor, great architecture. Attentive service. All around perfect evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's the rush?adventurousdinersVIPDined on 11/9/2014Host was unwelcoming, server was nice, but service was very rushed. Some of our plates were cleared before we were finished. Salad was over dressed. Risotto was a bit raw, but the bay scallops were fantastic. Halibut was a little overdone; good, not great. Osso buco was not $44 good. When our bill arrived, it was clear that our server was finished with his pleasantries. He barely said goodbye.Special Features:
- not worth the hype!dessert2dieDined on 11/8/2014The chairs were very flimsy, thought it was going to fall apart when I pulled it out to sit! The waiter never told us there were specials. We felt rushed but the noise level was so loud we couldn't have a conversation without raising our voices. Not romantic as stated in there advertising. I have to say the food was delicious but u can get good food at any of the many restaurants in town. Will not be a repeat visitor, Sorry:(Special Features:
- Very nice dinner butkarenharDined on 11/8/2014The restaurant is lovely and has a cozy, welcoming atmosphere on a chilly night. The food was very nice. My only complaint was with the rather supercilious manner with which our server responded to reasonable questions. Two of us thought there might be a special or two so we waited to make a decision. The server seemed to consider the notion of specials as contemptible and pressed us to order immediately. My daughter inquired about the risotto and rather than elicit information, he immediately informed her in a snarky manner that risotto is rice. Of course we all know what risotto is but he treated her as if she was an idiot. He treated her next question in the same way.Special Features:
- juanVIPDined on 11/8/2014Food was good not excellent as it has been in the past Tables were too close together. It felt like you were having dinner with your new best friends. This also added to the noise level being too highSpecial Features:
- Great serviceMimi5688Dined on 11/7/2014The service was great. The waiter knew what he was talking about regarding wine which paired with my food. The pear salad was excellent. But I do have to say there food could use a bit more flavor. Overall it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finest of the North EndOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014Very cozy, romantic dining. Great Italian food, even for the North End. I had the Osso Bucco which was cooked perfect. Very savory and the bone marrow was out of the world. Great salads and appetizers, too. The chocolate torte for dessert finished off the evening.Special Features:
- Italian conossieurOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014Food is outstanding and service superior. It is truly a special treat and the most romantic of places to dine. Have not found better. Wine list is excellent. Staff extremely attentive!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014It was rather pricey with small portions. This was our second and maybe last time. This time it was so crowded so service was not great even though all were very polite....The food underwhelmed us.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeahorseDined on 11/4/2014A very cozy restaurant with lovely food. Everyone is friendly and helpful. Very nice place to spend an evening with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food I've ever eatennimo956Dined on 11/2/2014Mamma Maria has consistently served me the best food I've ever eaten. I especially love their rabbit pasta.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014The best word I can think of for this restaurant is fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boston LegendHalloweenOwlVIPDined on 11/1/2014Have been looking forward to going to this restaurant for a long time. Beautiful restaurant, given the table we requested. They certainly go out of their way for their customers. Soup was just ok, lobster appetizer served as a dinner was great.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/31/2014Except the on-line website menu and wine list are not accurate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent North End RestaurantbostonvisitorDined on 10/29/20143 of us went here for dinner this week while attending a conference in Boston. My wife and I had eaten here previously and were happy to return. Our waiter was friendly and helpful, and the food was outstanding. This is definitely upscale Italian, not the traditional meals like the other Italian restaurants in the North End. The place is small so tables are close together but we found conversation easy without loud noise from other tables in the room. We would definitely recommend this place for a nice dinner, but we also enjoy visiting a number of the other Italian restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- Awesome! But on the pricier sideHungryGirlDined on 10/26/2014The food was amazing but for the price of $30+ a plate I was expecting the portions to be a little larger. The food came out very quick and was presented beautifully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still good but once was greatMattyAbbsDined on 10/26/2014Good food. good service. Ten years ago it was amazingly world class. It is still quite good to very good. Maybe I'm a food snob, but I'd like to see more effort in seasoning.Special Features:
- SublimeBostonianVIPDined on 10/25/2014This is without a doubt THE best dining to be had in the North End, and one of the top ten in Boston overall. The service, the atmosphere, and most importantly the food are phenomenal. We started with the lamb gnocchi and baked oysters, both delicious. Our table of four thought it was the perfect amount of food to share. For entrees, the osso buco is a house favorite and mamma Maria's does it beautifully, the marrow was ambrosia. My dining companions had the rabbit pasta, suckling pig, and steak, clean plates all around. Beautiful wines, we shared a Barolo. Ended our meal with espressos and a velvety vin santo. Service is attentive, not obtrusive, perfect. This is a romantic, warm welcoming spot, go at least once for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Pretty Disappointingil2eVIPDined on 10/24/2014The place is really nice, staff is very efficient, attentive and nice. The food was just blah. We were three and none of the plates were bad but they were bland. We expected better.
- Anniversary DinnerNormDined on 10/24/2014We were extremely pleased with everything from the moment we walked in until we left. Excellent wine, food, and dessert. The service was also exceptional, a definite "be back!"Special Features:
- Exceeded expectationsMickDDined on 10/24/2014An early dinner before a show because the restaurant is on the edge of the theatre district. Next time we will go just for the food. Creativity, presentation, variety and taste are all present with the food. Coupled with a great wine list with many reasonably priced wonderful wines only adds to your enjoyment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food and ExperienceBirdDined on 10/24/2014Loved the service, the food and the ambiance! Our 1st time to Boston with this recommended restaurant and we were not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placesljceDined on 10/24/2014We went here on a recommendation and it was great. Loved the smaller intimate rooms. The wait staff was really attentive and knew their menu and wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasure!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/24/2014Best food by far in NorthEnd. Every visit better than the last. Food and wine are amazing, not cheap but worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pricey italianjfm3VIPDined on 10/24/2014warren of rooms, food god - not great and expensive for mostly pasta.
- Excellent food and atmosphereRickJamesDined on 10/21/2014A real classic with traditional Italian food. It feels like your in your grandmas house. I loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the $$LovepastaDined on 10/18/2014Nice setting in the North End. I've eaten at great Italian restaurants in Boston's North End. Mama Maria's wasn't outstanding. The Bolognese Pasta was described as spicy but it was very plain. The linguini was supposed to be homemade pasta but it didn't taste that fresh. Frutti di Mare Pasta was supposed to have Georgia shrimp, scallops, mussels, countneck clams, poached calamari, and sautéed spinach. It had a lot of clams, no mussels, no scallops, no shrimp and no calamari that I could find. None of it was awful if moderately priced but these were expensive dishes. $28 for a moderate sized plate of linguini with basic sauce. Few wines for < $60.00. Lobster ravioli was ok but $16 appetizer portion was ONE ravioli. Caprese salad was good.
- Lived up to its reputationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014Selected this Italian restaurant based on many positive reviews and we were not disappointed. My husband had osso bucco which was perfectly cooked and the waiter said the cut was from the prime section of the shank for this dish. I had scallops which were excellent as well. The cauliflower salad was unique and very good. We both really enjoyed the restaurant and we definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvgdfoodDined on 10/15/2014One of the best Italian dinners I've had. Every bite was an explosion of flavors! Definitely try the black truffle ravioli. A must visit if you are in Boston. Excellent service and a warm inviting atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining ExperienceQueenbee102845Dined on 10/13/2014This was our first time to eat at Mamma Maria's. The food was exceptional, the service impeccable and would love to go back. We were expecting more traditional Italian dishes on the menu with red sauce but we're not disappointed with our entres. I had Lamb and my husband hat Halibut. The bread was great and the desserts fabulous. Would recommend to others for sure. The view out the window was of the old Boston Architecture. A fun experience. The tables are pretty close to each other so if you are looking for intimacy and privacy, you will probably not feel that. However, it does have nice lighting so it did feel kind of Romantic. A bit pricey but the food and service made it worth the price.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014What a great restaurant. Food was absolutely fantastic, service was even better. Waiter even walked us two blocks away and hailed a cab for us at the end of the night. We had just gotten engaged and this topped a great great night. Everyone was so attentive at Mamma Maria.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceTHBostonVIPDined on 10/12/2014In a city of great restaurants, Mamma Maria stands out as a special experience. Located in the North End among dozens of fine establishments, Mamma Maria finds a way to distinguish itself with a unique menu that includes great pasta dishes and out of this world appetizers. Potions are perfectly sized, and the wine selection is outstanding. The service is excellent, and valet parking in the North End, where parking can be a problem, is a great benefit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View of north end squarePressyDined on 10/12/2014The place to go if you want a changing fresh menu, with old classics. The windows over look the none touristy part of the north end. With a great view of the skyline popping up behind colonial buildings. Been here 4-5 times an enjoyed it each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining in the North EndKrisJDined on 10/11/2014We went to this restaurant on recommendation of a friend. Although the menu is very fancy, we didn't have trouble finding something that we would like to try. The steak was amazing - loved the sauce. Also, the fresh basil pesto and bread to start was delicious and required a refill! This is a pricy restaurant but worth the money if celebrating a special occasion.Special Features:
- Perfect dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014The perfect experience, Mamma Maria's delivered it all! We were seated immediately even tho a bit early for our reservation, our waiter and assistants were amazing: attentive ,pleasant, knowledgable and efficient and the ambience was just as we imagined and geared to make the diner feel very special. The upstairs tables look out to the square in front of the Paul Revere house. The food was wonderful, we started with warm tomato and buffalo mozzarella which they plated separately so my husband and I could share. The bolognese was amazing! The raspberry tiramisu which we shared for dessert was the perfect end to a sumptuous meal. Wine pairings suggested by our waiter hit the mark and coffee served with fresh cream and brown sugar cubes, yes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014This is a beautifully maintained restaurant in the north end one block off of the very busy Hanover St. I had let them know that this was a 15th anniversary and a romantic table would be appreciated. We were seated at great table overlooking North Square, warmly greeted with a Happy Anniversary and given champagne. From the manager to the bus person all of the staff was warm, friendly, greeted us with a warm smiles an were not even the least bit rushed. Our food was excellent and the tables are spaced so that you are not right on top on each other. Overall a great experience.Special Features:
- Fantastic Evening!BostonDinerDined on 10/10/2014Mamma Maria is a great choice if you're looking for a truly first-class dining experience in the North End. Based on the name, you might be inclined to think that it is simply one of the dozens of standard, middle-of-the-road Italian restaurants so abundant in the neighborhood, but nothing could be further from the truth. The food, service, and ambiance are all top-notch. The menu changes regularly based on whatever is fresh and in-season, so it's hard to recommend specific dishes, but everything we ordered was delicious. My only suggestion would be to include some more moderately-priced wine selections on the menu. Most bottles were at least $60, and many were considerably higher. Some $30-to-$40 options would be nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.