3 North Square
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mammamaria.com/
- Phone: 6175230077x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Geraldo Andrade/Julio Torres
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, View, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Mamma Maria offers elegant private dining available 7 nights a week. With five separate dining rooms, we are able to serve all your private dining needs.
Piccolo Room accommodates 2 -6
Puccini Room accommodates 10 -16
Terrace Room accommodates 18 -30
Rossini Room accommodates 20 - 40
Verdi Room accommodates 40 -50
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Mancuso 6175230077x2
A word from Mamma Maria
Nationally acclaimed Italian cuisine served in five elegant dining rooms within an historic 1830 brick townhouse overlooking America's oldest public square - North Square - in the heart of Boston's North End neighborhood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Mamma Maria - Best Restaurants in North End ›
Mamma Maria reviews from OpenTable diners
293 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (211)romantic (192)fit for foodies (164)neighborhood gem (145)notable wine list (90)scenic view (54)good for groups (26)hot spot (16)late-night find (9)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- always great!marnyDined on 9/18/2014This was our second time here. Food was delicious. It is a small, quaint place and can get louder considering you are sitting next to other tables. Highly recommend this spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/18/2014The restaurant, in an old North End house, is a cluster of small, elegantly furnished rooms, with the walls painted a soothing taupe, a white chair rail, and big windows looking over North Square. Quiet Italian opera plays over the PA system. The service is attentive, if slightly too intrusive, but the food is first rate. The menu is excellent but not overly extensive. We shared prosciutto and warm figs with gorgonzola, has entrees of seared scallops on spaghetti squash and pappardelle with rabbit sauce, and desserts of an individual peach crostada with peach mascarpone and panna cotta with fresh berries. All were superb. The wine list has excellent but unfamiliar Italian wines, with most wines falling in the $50-70 range.Special Features:
- Great place in Boston's North End.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2014Mamma Maria is absolutely outstanding. Great food, perfect service and charming atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinner in the North EndwestenderVIPDined on 9/17/2014Not the usual Italian restaurant. Mamma Maria's is located off Hanover Street with windows looking out on historic North Square. Many small dining rooms in a lovely old townhouse that feels like a private club. The menu is high-end Italian, changing daily based on what is available in the markets, and the service matches that quality. Our Mission fig & gorgonzola appetizer was wonderful. Main courses were scallops, lovely and sweet, and a ravioli with corn and mushrooms. Both excellent. No room for desserts, though.Special Features:
- Excellent foodJustagirlintheworldVIPDined on 9/16/2014If you get beyond the surly maitre' d', you will be rewarded with excellent upscale Italian inspired food. This is not typical "veal parm" North End fare. A little more refined. Excellent ingredients.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining ExperienceFrederickJayDined on 9/16/2014Fantastic ambiance....in the heart of Boston's Little Italy in historic North Square. A well rounded menu from the anitpasto to the main course. If you are looking for red sauce and pizza by the slice Mama Maria's is not for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location rates higher than the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014The location is great; pretty, quintessential New England feel. Feels like you are dining in someones home inside of a cobblestone street. However the entrees were mediocre at best. I had the Osso Bucco and it was missing flavor and depth. Wine was delicious, so were the apps. I would come back here for appetizers, and wine, not for entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalEdaBugDined on 9/15/2014Exceptional location, ambience and service but best of all is the incredible food!Special Features:
- great location, good foodflangaDined on 9/14/2014Mamma Maria's is somewhat pricey, but the food is uniformly good, the service is very good, and the location --- a block away from the noise and bustle of the busiest street in the North End, and across from the Paul Revere house --- is very nice.Special Features:
- Very good foodbronteDined on 9/13/2014I liked everything about this restaurant. The only thing I would change is the description of the restuarant as I don't really consider it to be "Italian" in the traditional sense. If one is looking for various forms of pastas and sauces, this isn't your place. If you want something more exotic, I highly recommend this restaurant. The menu changes daily, so you never know what you'll get, but it will likely always be wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian foodNorthernnjgalVIPDined on 9/12/2014We dined there vas the food was exceptional. The mozzarella with warm tomatoes was wonderful as were the heirloom tomatoes. The lobster ravioli and spinach ravioli was just delicious. The spinach ravioli were perfumed with a little truffle oil. The stairs to the second floor were steep if you have some problems getting up stairs. But it was a thoroughly enjoyable night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing everytimeDonnaLDined on 9/6/2014We had a group of 6 on Saturday night. The service was spectacular and the food and wine were outstanding. This restaurant is our favorite when we are in Boston.Special Features:
- Not quite a 5 starFBECDined on 9/6/2014A little loud and can't flag a server because of noise. Food was very delicious. Didn't give an extra plate to put shellfish when done which was annoying. Didn't know there cocktails well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/6/2014we all had a wonderful time the food was great, service was fine the atmosphere quite romantic I would definitely recommend it to anyone, the only slight drawback is that it was more expensive than I realized.....Special Features:
- 50th anniversaryrobertabillDined on 9/6/2014We wanted a special place to celebrate. It was that much and more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Save the moneyClosedVIPDined on 9/5/2014Food was heated in a microwave. Waiter thought he was on tv show. Glad he didn't even ask if everything was ok. Loser
- Close but no cigarTeeBoneDined on 8/31/2014Went to this restaurant at the suggestion of good friends who know good food. They were right about the food. Off the charts Osso Bucco. Caprese was outstanding as the mozzarella was very fresh and creamy. Pesto was so good I almost licked the bowl. Go for the food but you might not be happy with the service. Our server James was distracted at best and somewhat indifferent. It was Sunday of Labor Day weekend and perhaps the parades and crowds in the north end got to him but his lack of attentive professional service was a disservice to a fine restaurant.Special Features:
- a fantastic Italy stylish dinnerJohnDined on 8/31/2014My wife , me and our friend had a wonderful dinner in this place , very tranditional italian's deco , romantic eviornment, nice food are so delicious , whatever apppitizer , seefood , pasta or beef , very typical italian's food tasts you can feel very special than other foods , service there is execellent. we definitely will recommend the place to other friends and surely will back for more times .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014The restaurant is very unique and special a great place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a fabulous find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/30/2014What a lovely, delicious and friendly spot. Away from the noise of Hanover street. Wonderful food, fabulous service. A MUST!Special Features:
- OutstandingPopsDined on 8/30/2014We went two days in row. Great location, perfect service and absolutely outstanding food. A bit noisy perhaps, depending on the party in the same room as you but nothing the restaurant can do about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was terribleAnnetteMDined on 8/29/2014We waited 10 minutes before anyone came to our table. Other people that sat down after us with same waiter were taken care of first. Food was so-so but. Very expensive. Typical tourist trap.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/28/2014The resturant is in a charming part of town and is quite charming as the other reviews report. We were dropping off our daughter at BU and wanted a nice last dinner. We were places in a room next to 4 women who already had too much to drink were eatting, they were loud and excited, good for them, not what we wanted.( Guess the host didn't want to access the room before he seated us) It ruined the rest of the meal the food was okay, never need to go back and I would have loved a go to Italian place in Boston, this won't be it.
- Wow but priceyDebCDined on 8/28/2014The food was incredibly good. The Osso Bucco and the lobster ravioli were unbelievable. A really memorable evening. So was the wine, but the total price tag for three of us, with 3 appetizers, 3 main dishes, 3 ProSecco drinks, one bottle of wine, and one shared dessert ran over $120 per person before tip! Stunningly costly. Still, it was a memorable evening, but truly for a special occasion. They do have a good limited-menu prix fixe meal offering which would have helped curtail the bill a little. Still, an outstanding meal and evening. The menu changes nightly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/28/2014Growing up in an Italian family and living in the north end. I'm very fusy about Italian food. But Mamma Maria's nailed it.Special Features:
- Consistently wonderfulTessDined on 8/28/2014Whenever I travel to Boston, I go out of my way to eat here. Always terrific authentic Italian food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mamma Maria is a treatCrickDined on 8/28/2014Mamma Maria's was so enjoyable. Sat in a small, intimate upstairs room next to open balcony doors on a beautiful late summer evening. From the warm bread, pesto, and olives starter to our final "licking the plates" of our desserts, we were smitten! Our server was so pleasant, professional and knowledgable. Appetizers, my lobster ravioli and husband's romaine salad, were delicious. We eagerly anticipated continued delights for our entrees. Husband thoroughly enjoyed his pasta bolognese (I sampled and declare the best I've ever had). My entree of day boat scallops was perfectly prepared and so beautifully and interestingly flavored with blood orange. We had two desserts...trois fromages and molten chocolate cake a mint gelato. perfect!Special Features:
- HarryDined on 8/27/2014Very disappointing in all aspects, service, food quality, menu selection and plate presentation. Over rated with 4 stars, would not reccommend.
- Gourmet DelightTippygonnapayDined on 8/25/2014The Osso Bucco was outstanding, as well as the appetizers and desserts (Mint Gelato & Rasberry Tiramisu were special and yummy)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming!RinaTDined on 8/24/2014We had a lovely experience at Mamma Maria. Although the name sounds like a pizzeria, it serves up refined dishes in a charming and romantic setting. Just steps from the Paul Revere House in historic cobblestoned North Square, this place should be on your list of fine Italian dining establishments in Boston. We enjoyed everything about the place and will return!!Special Features:
- Awesome RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/22/2014From NJ/NY area and we eat at the best restaurants. Food here was outstanding with a very knowledgeable and courteous server. Gave us a table for two in a secluded area with a great view of the streets below. Chef knows his stuff and placed attention to detail in every dish we ordered. Figs/Gorganzola/Prosciutto di Parma appetizer...Rabbit Pappardelli second course....Bistecca for her and Swordfish for me....everything outstanding and perfectly prepared. Will definitely return next time we are in Boston. Great service made the experience wonderful.Special Features:
- Better last time here...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Service was very slow 2 of 3 meals good , the other was average at bestSpecial Features:
- Perfect dateAliGVIPDined on 8/22/2014Absolutely perfect date on a Friday evening. Felt like we were in Europe. Food, service and ambiance as top notch.Special Features:
- Blown away again!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2014It was a busy night due to Restaurant Week so we were sat in the private dining room. It was so romantic! The food was AMAZING! I had the pork tenderloin and my husband had the steak. Both mouthwatering! The Lobster Pasta is our favorite and it blew us away again. This is a go to for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Excellent many years later!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/20/2014This was our second time enjoying a wonderful dinner at Mama Maria. They didn't disappoint. We had made a request for a specific table from our first visit on New Years Eve many years ago, of which they could not accommodate but did set us up at a very nice table in the terrace room overlooking North Square. It was Restaurant Week in Boston but Mama Maria did offer their full menu of which we were very pleased. Our antipasti and entrées were excellent (Halibut and Osso Bucco). Service was good, we enjoyed a close to two hour dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remubder of how it used to belocaldinerVIPDined on 8/19/2014You can count on a great evening - excellent food, wine and service. The hidden gem of the North End, a reminder of the old style of dining in the North EndSpecial Features:
- GreatstekouDined on 8/19/2014Great food, great ambiance, good service, highly recommended.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bryant WelchTravelinfoodieinNCDined on 8/17/2014My wife and I went there for our anniversary dinner. It was easily the best meal we had the entire weekend we were in Boston! We went to more expensive places, but the food and ambience was nowhere near as good. The location was great, and we had wonderful view of an Italian festival! We are already planning our next trip to Boston, and Mamma Maria's we at the top of the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- classickikikallsDined on 8/17/2014Given the very traditional decor and style of the restaurant I was extremely surprised by the modern quality of the food, everything was really fresh and delicious. I thought the food would be heavier and more old school italian but it wasnt. The dishes were of a moderate size but packed a big punch. The baked oysters tasted freshly shucked and were excellent. The only area where I was disappointed was dessert.This was the only area where they could step it up.Special Features:
- Extremely DissappointedSay78Dined on 8/16/2014We were visiting from Memphis, Tn and were so excited about this place. The ambiance was beautiful, we had a table upstairs by the balcony and the windows were open. I don't know if our female server had too many tables or what but that combined with a bad attitude ruined the evening. The tables next to us were treated way better as we were basically ignored. Being an out of towner who comes here a few times a year, I can say that we will never return to this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.