3 North Square
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mammamaria.com/
- Phone: 6175230077x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Geraldo Andrade/Julio Torres
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, View, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Mamma Maria offers elegant private dining available 7 nights a week. With five separate dining rooms, we are able to serve all your private dining needs.
Piccolo Room accommodates 2 -6
Puccini Room accommodates 10 -16
Terrace Room accommodates 18 -30
Rossini Room accommodates 20 - 40
Verdi Room accommodates 40 -50
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Mancuso 6175230077x2
A word from Mamma Maria
Nationally acclaimed Italian cuisine served in five elegant dining rooms within an historic 1830 brick townhouse overlooking America's oldest public square - North Square - in the heart of Boston's North End neighborhood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Mamma Maria - Best Restaurants in North End ›
Mamma Maria reviews from OpenTable diners
285 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (208)romantic (187)fit for foodies (157)neighborhood gem (139)notable wine list (91)scenic view (52)good for groups (28)hot spot (14)late-night find (7)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014Very disappointing in all aspects, service, food quality, menu selection and plate presentation. Over rated with 4 stars, would not reccommend.
- Gourmet DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014The Osso Bucco was outstanding, as well as the appetizers and desserts (Mint Gelato & Rasberry Tiramisu were special and yummy)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/22/2014From NJ/NY area and we eat at the best restaurants. Food here was outstanding with a very knowledgeable and courteous server. Gave us a table for two in a secluded area with a great view of the streets below. Chef knows his stuff and placed attention to detail in every dish we ordered. Figs/Gorganzola/Prosciutto di Parma appetizer...Rabbit Pappardelli second course....Bistecca for her and Swordfish for me....everything outstanding and perfectly prepared. Will definitely return next time we are in Boston. Great service made the experience wonderful.Special Features:
- Better last time here...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Service was very slow 2 of 3 meals good , the other was average at bestSpecial Features:
- Perfect dateAliGVIPDined on 8/22/2014Absolutely perfect date on a Friday evening. Felt like we were in Europe. Food, service and ambiance as top notch.Special Features:
- Blown away again!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2014It was a busy night due to Restaurant Week so we were sat in the private dining room. It was so romantic! The food was AMAZING! I had the pork tenderloin and my husband had the steak. Both mouthwatering! The Lobster Pasta is our favorite and it blew us away again. This is a go to for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Excellent many years later!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/20/2014This was our second time enjoying a wonderful dinner at Mama Maria. They didn't disappoint. We had made a request for a specific table from our first visit on New Years Eve many years ago, of which they could not accommodate but did set us up at a very nice table in the terrace room overlooking North Square. It was Restaurant Week in Boston but Mama Maria did offer their full menu of which we were very pleased. Our antipasti and entrées were excellent (Halibut and Osso Bucco). Service was good, we enjoyed a close to two hour dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remubder of how it used to belocaldinerVIPDined on 8/19/2014You can count on a great evening - excellent food, wine and service. The hidden gem of the North End, a reminder of the old style of dining in the North EndSpecial Features:
- GreatstekouDined on 8/19/2014Great food, great ambiance, good service, highly recommended.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bryant WelchTravelinfoodieinNCDined on 8/17/2014My wife and I went there for our anniversary dinner. It was easily the best meal we had the entire weekend we were in Boston! We went to more expensive places, but the food and ambience was nowhere near as good. The location was great, and we had wonderful view of an Italian festival! We are already planning our next trip to Boston, and Mamma Maria's we at the top of the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- classickikikallsDined on 8/17/2014Given the very traditional decor and style of the restaurant I was extremely surprised by the modern quality of the food, everything was really fresh and delicious. I thought the food would be heavier and more old school italian but it wasnt. The dishes were of a moderate size but packed a big punch. The baked oysters tasted freshly shucked and were excellent. The only area where I was disappointed was dessert.This was the only area where they could step it up.Special Features:
- Extremely DissappointedSay78Dined on 8/16/2014We were visiting from Memphis, Tn and were so excited about this place. The ambiance was beautiful, we had a table upstairs by the balcony and the windows were open. I don't know if our female server had too many tables or what but that combined with a bad attitude ruined the evening. The tables next to us were treated way better as we were basically ignored. Being an out of towner who comes here a few times a year, I can say that we will never return to this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classic remains the bestacroboyDined on 8/16/2014This has been one of our favorite spots in the North End. The dishes are all made with fresh local ingredients and it shows with excellence. Service was top-notch. Will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceJM84Dined on 8/15/2014What a fantastic foodie experience. The dishes were creative and fresh, the service was flawless and the timing perfect. We dined at Mama Maria to celebrate our 24th anniversary and I must say, they rolled out the red carpet for us. They treated us like we were old friends and helped make the evening one we will not forget. Thanks very much to Mo and Thomas!Special Features:
- EmilynEmilynDined on 8/15/2014We went with out of town guest and enjoyed a wonderful meal. The valet parking came in handy on a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerJimboDined on 8/12/2014We had our anniversary dinner at Mamma Maria. This was our 2nd time at this restaurant. The service was excellent and the food was great. We had a very enjoyable dinner and would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Molto BenemmarkerVIPDined on 8/12/2014We had a wonderful dining experience at Mamma Maria. My husband started with the heirloom tomatoes and I had a light salad with pears and a tarragon vinaigrette. Both starters were fresh, seasonal delights. For the entree's my husband chose the rabbit pasta and I had the osso bucco. The waitress claimed that Mamma Maria was well know for these two dishes and rightly so. We finished the meal with a fresh peach tart that was still warm from the oven. Even though there are plenty of Italian restaurants to choose from in the North End, we would definitely return to Mamma Maria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time to visit Mama MarialeniVIPDined on 8/10/2014The menu was a delight for the senses - I only wish I had had a larger appetite and could have eaten more!! The lobster ravioli served as both an appetizer or main dish was heavenly. The taste of the lobster was present in every bite and the mushrooms served with the dish were superb. Also superb was the Halibut with lobster mushrooms. YUMM! the wine list was well conceived. Our server, however, was anything but knowledgeable concerning the wines and offered no assistance from anyone that was knowledgeable. A somewhat minor glitch in an otherwise excellent and delicious evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!BarbaraBDined on 8/9/2014We felt like had been transported to Italy. The food was outstanding... homemade bread and pesto (best I've ever had), imported mozzarella flown in from Italy that melted in your mouth. I had the Frutti de Mare...out of this world... so wonderful, and the aroma so delicious I truly thought I had been transported to a village in Italy. We were thoroughly impressed with this highly recommended North End restaurant. Cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/9/2014First time in Boston. Was told to come to here. Didn't disappoint. Best osso bucco in the history of osso bucco!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Meal and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/8/2014Enjoyed our North End dining experience. Had a table on the second floor by the open window. Service was the best. Great appetizers. Will return.Special Features:
- Great findoldgalDined on 8/7/2014Despite the name, Mamma Marias is a very elegant upscale italian restaurant in Bostons North End. Located in a townhouse on a little cobblestone square. It is just off Hanover Street the Main Street in the section of town. We were seated upstairs in a window looking out on the square. Menu is different each day, but we ordered seafood appetizers and main entrees that were both outstanding. Wait staff was very attentive without being overbearing. Ladies, don't wear high heels or you will have trouble with the cobblestones! Will definately go back when we find ourselves in Boston.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/7/2014Loved it. Easy to get to. Nice service. Not overcrowded.Special Features:
- Dining experienceSteveDined on 8/7/2014My wife and I met up for dinner with relatives from out of state. We decided on this restaurant based on reviews. The food was very good but the room we were in was so loud you could not even hold a conversation without yelling. It was also very difficult to hear the waiter because of the noise level. Also we felt very pushed to finish up so the restaurant could have the table because they probably overbookedSpecial Features:
- Great food/service, pretty noisyLucyLu292Dined on 8/4/2014Had a wonderful meal. Pasta bolognese and the flounder. Food was excellent, service was just right - attentive but not cloying. Excellent wine. Tables are pretty close together but that's not surprising. It was a beautiful summer evening, tho, and I wish the windows had been wide open. It felt closed in, especially compared to the other restaurants we walked by that were all open to the street. We enjoyed it, but might select a location more open next time. At least in the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced without the PayoffStatgirlDined on 8/3/2014The food was decent but the prices and ambience left a lot to be desired. One person in my party asked to make the lobster ravioli a dinner. $39 for 3 small ravioli! Definitely not the best place I've been to in the north end.
- LovetotravelDined on 8/2/2014This restaurant is located in the North End, near the Paul Revere house; it's charming from the outside, and doesn't disappoint on the inside. From the moment we arrived, the maitre d' was efficient, friendly, professional, and made us feel as though we were very special patrons. Our waiter was also friendly, and demonstrated knowledge about the menu and wine list. He was always there with something we needed, but never in an "in-your-face" manner - he was always efficiently unobtrusive. There isn't a thing that we ordered that we didn't love...the Lamb Three Ways course was sublime, and the Springtime Ravioli was delicious. Our desserts were also wonderful. Our entire experience at Mamma Maria was perfect!Special Features:
- Great experience.OhioTravelersDined on 8/2/2014Delicious food. Our server James was absolutely outstanding. His recommendations were perfect and he made syre we were very well taken care of. The Fruitti De Mare and the pasta were outstanding. The restaurant has old world charm. You sit very close to other tables. We enjoyed discussing our food with another couple...it was very enjoyable. Be sure to make a reservation and knew it is pricey (but with every penny). Also dress code is snappy casual. My wife and I will be back on our next visit to Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dinnerDanaSVIPDined on 8/2/2014My family truly enjoyed Mamma Maria's from the service to the food, all around a wonderful experience. The appetizer of fig and gorgonzola was outstanding and the warm tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella was delicious. My son enjoyed the rabbit pasta, my husband's summer ravioli was delicious and my Bolognese pasta to die for. Dessert was a bit off but didn't deter from the gracious service and ambiance. We will return on our next trip to Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Historic LoctionJkadingoDined on 8/1/2014Food was excellent, service was great, and the historic location was amazin. Definitey will go backSpecial Features:
- Great, intimate diningrickDined on 8/1/2014The service was fantastic, although we had to wait 10 min past our reservation time. They didn't rush us out, were very friendly about taking orders, bringing food and clearing the table. The desserts weren't my favorite, we had pound cake, but they were arranged very interestingly. It was fairly loud, but it was only a few tables that made all the noise, so may not be common.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even better than the first timeLuv2eatVIPDined on 8/1/2014Great food, great service. We were able to get a table in the main dining room this time and had a great table that made the dining experience even better than the last time. Mamma Maria has become our North End favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!TamiDined on 8/1/2014Was recommended to us by a Boston resident and we were not disappointed. The food and cocktails were amazing. Cannot wait to re-visit on our next trip to area.Special Features:
- Good food horrendous serviceraviVIPDined on 7/28/2014Thought the food was about average of most places in the north end with a few a lot better and others worse Service was terrible , not friendly or energetic or anything that made me want to come again Spinach pasta with corn was amazing - steak and other pasta items were bland and below average
- Perfect for a Quiet Birthday PartyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/27/2014Mama Maria gave my daughter Juliana Hatfield a beautiful birthday party by putting us into one of their beautiful private rooms overlooking North Square. What a special treat that room is! There were just three of us, and Juliana, who sings in loud venues when she tours and doesn't need noise when she's off, was delighted with the serene ambience, not to mention the delicious food that worked for her, a vegan. Just perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slippingwillpay4gooddiningDined on 7/26/2014Unfortunately and disappointingly, our once favorite North End dining site has slipped a bit. Menu not as diverse [e.g., no more tier-towered antipasto, no more porcini risotto], food not as tastefully prepared [largely flat and bland], service not as attentive or polished [e.g., after waiter spilled glass of wine while pouring, we had to ask for clean-up napkins and a replacement glass, which never came, had to wait forever for prepared desserts]--though it's still as noisy as ever! We've long enjoyed going to MM, to both public and private rooms, but it seems time to look elsewhere.
- food was disappointinglisalisaDined on 7/26/2014I took my 3 nieces. We had very good appetizers -lobster pasta, figs with prosciutto (table favorite), scallops (definitely over cooked), and tomato and mozzerella. I had the summer ravioli which was excellent. Unfortunately the other 3 were very dissatisfied with their meals- 2 got the shrimp pasta, not good. And my oldest niece got the seafood combo served over cous cous (really?) the service was excellent- he recommended a very good wine.Special Features:
- CharmingDpat38VIPDined on 7/23/2014Outstanding location and wonderful meal. Mamma Maria has it down - awesome food and service. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features:
- very good food and great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014hadnt been to mama marias in over 25 years! happily the food and service still retain the highest level of excellence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealKennDined on 7/22/2014We had a fantastic meal and drinks. The service was fantastic Eric (Enrique) was a tremendous help and made the dinner special. He treated my daughter like a princess which always makes a dad happy. Best meal we had all week in Boston.Special Features: