Mamma Lucia of Olney
18224 Village Center Drive
Olney, MD 20832Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Mamma Lucia of Olney
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mammaluciarestaurants.com/
- Phone: 301-570-9500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 10:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: WiFi
A word from Mamma Lucia of Olney
While Bruno was running the successful Rockville Mamma Lucia, his future partner was operating his namesake restaurant, "Jimmy's Place" in Gaithersburg, MD. Introduced by a mutual friend, Jimmy and Bruno soon became good friends and, of course, had the restaurant business as a mutual interest. Having been raised in the Bronx, NY by his native Italian parents (from Rome and Naples,) Bruno had worked at his father’s Italian restaurant since he was 14 years old. Jimmy is a native of the Washington area and, after graduating from the University of Maryland, he left the real estate business to open "Jimmy's Place". The two became business partners in Mamma Lucia in 1997. Since then, they have opened restaurants in Bethesda, Olney and Fallsgrove in Rockville, MD. With Bruno’s dedication to the freshest ingredients for his kitchens and Jimmy’s drive for outstanding customer service, the results are a winning combination!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mamma Lucia of Olney reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (6)neighborhood gem (5)good for groups (4)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (4)special occasion (3)notable wine list (2)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- Neighborhood gemBirthday38Dined on 8/31/2014Good food, good prices, good location. Will continue to enjoy this restaurant!Special Features:
- Reliable and goodMikeDined on 8/24/2014We often dine here and are generally happy. First time for the pizza and was glad I did not come here for the pizza. However the left overs were really good, heated properly, were great. Service was impressive, even outside. We were lucky to have Robin- real, patient, professional, beautiful, friendly, and interesting. Sometimes we have not been so fortunate. New faces in the staff management signal a happy future for one of our locally located places to dine. Thank you, Robin!Special Features:
- Quiet Saturday Night at Mama LuciasbuzzVIPDined on 7/19/2014We were surprised at how quiet it was....EVERYONE must have been at the beach for the weekend, and this was at 7pm. Still, the food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basic Italian done well7hom7homVIPDined on 7/10/2014Mamma Lucia was another preshow dinner [Ave Q @ Olney]. It's basic Italian with no mistakes. Portions were big. The accompanying bread was good and the dipping oil above average with garlic and parmesan. I was told the chicken parmesan was very good. My vitello & penbe in creamy marsala tasted fine if the sauce was a little heavy. Red pepper shakers were part of the standard table setting, a plus. Our server Lauren was good and gamely brought our preshow check early and split it between two credit cards with no fuss. I'll remember Mamma L for future preOlney dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningJustinDined on 7/8/2014The wait staff was very friendly and even brought us a special birthday treat for my wife. The mushroom ravioli is top notch!Special Features:
- Decent Italian FoodUnchainedAdventuresVIPDined on 7/6/2014The food was tasty though the sauce was a little too sweet for my pallet. It's a great spot for groups and families with children. the noise level can get 'energetic' so I would not recommend this location for a 'romantic' dinner. There is outside seating though there is no view to speak of, just the parking lot. The service was the best part.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 153 reviews are from the Mamma Lucia of Olney reviews archive.
- Lively & reliableroseH2ODined on 6/27/2014We had family in town from the mid-west and wanted to have dinner in a place that everyone (including some "picky" teen appetites would enjoy. Mama Lucia's was the perfect choice! Pleasant environment, excellent service and food that everyone enjoyed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014There was a party of eight and everybody had a good time and enjoyed the food.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/27/2014Just after arriving and placing drink orders, the shopping center lost power due to a major thunderstorm. Although it never regained power, we stayed until it was safe to go home. During this period, the restaurant and waitstaff in particular were great. They provided us with what food they could and were able to manage an otherwise bad situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mamma luciajbeeVIPDined on 5/23/2014good for a night when nobody wants to cook, has a nice variety to choose fromSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening outDJBDAYDined on 5/16/2014Group of 7 of us went out for dinner and had a great experience. Good food. Good wine. Good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/3/2014Salmon with spinach drowned in an extremely salty sauce; hardly edible and shockingly priced at $23 in a suburban strip mall. It would have been poor value at half the price.
- reviewbelleDined on 4/25/2014Egg plant delicious sauce on the zucchini penne pasta lunch sauce spicy for me. Excellent server .Special Features:
- Mamma Mia!EarlVIPDined on 4/22/2014Food was excellent. The server was extremely attentive. They even made me an item that was not on themenu.Special Features:
- solid Italian food and experiencebbtsunamiDined on 4/18/2014Went with my spouse and grown son. From salmon to ravioli to eggplant parmigiano the food was prompt and good, solid renditions. The wines by the glass were a reasonable mid - range selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- salmon was goodClevelandparkguruVIPDined on 4/15/2014salmon salad, and salmon in the oven were our main dishes. Nice vino. Nice people and good service. Very good each and every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MrandMrsHVIPDined on 4/13/2014Went on a Sunday afternoon. Great food, service, and good prices. Definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and good timesDaveinMDVIPDined on 4/11/2014My wife, daughter, and I enjoyed our meal very much. They even accommodated gluten free diets with gluten free pasta and eliminated breading on one of our dishes. Server very nice. Food took a little longer than usual but overall a good dining experience.Special Features:
- Not as good as it once was !BettisVIPDined on 4/3/2014Sorry, but Mamma Lucia's of Olney is not as good as it used to be. Food average, Prices increased, Service still very good and friendly. We used to visit twice a month, then once a month, now not really sure. Prices and Quality make it much less of a neighborhood gem.
- well donebbtsunamiDined on 3/29/2014Decided last minute to make a Saturday night reservation. Place was packed but we sat right down. Great waiter both attentive and friendly. Food was good from chicken wings to marsala.Special Features:
- Consistantly Very GoodFredVIPDined on 3/16/2014Pasta is always cooked to perfection and abundant. Lasagna recipe has changed recently, but is interestingly different and enjoyable. The veal, which is in many entries could use to be thinner or better pounded, but this does not detract from the flavor. Pizza is very large and the NY style reminds me of home (one can fold the slice and eat it with your hands, Mayor de Blasio may disagree...). Shrimp dishes are not skimpy on the XL shrimp. The wines are a bit overpriced but do complement a variety of palates. As for overpriced wine, I can buy 1.5L (about 7 glasses worth) of Stone Cellars Cabernet (an excellent utility wine) for just under $11 at a local wine store, while the price in Mamma Lucia is $7 per glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently SolidKatwill5Dined on 3/15/2014We live in the Olney area and eat here frequently. The servers are usually very good (occasionally too chatty). The food is consistently good. Love their pizza...some of the best around! You just can't go wrong at this location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy good foodolneylocalDined on 3/1/2014Food is good, service could use some work. They have young people serving that haven't read the book on service yet. Seating is a bit tight, but this is a reliable place to take a friend in the local area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian neighborhood gem ConsistentLoveGreatSpotsVIPDined on 2/27/2014Mamma's always delivers great food awesome service from nice wholesome friendly staff. They make you feel at home from the moment the hostess greets you through the visit by the manager to check on you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect!candyheartsDined on 2/14/2014Dinner was perfect...food was amazing and they have a huge selection of gluten free :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Attentive ServiceMLK1Dined on 2/9/2014We had a very nice group birthday dinner at Mamma Lucia's. The service was excellent -- the food came out quickly, accurately prepared, hot, and delicious. Our waiter was attentive and cordial. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoying a dinner meal, although...Milt159Dined on 2/1/2014A large, somewhat noisy restaurant with a wide range of moderately tasty, generous-sized food options, with entrees accompanied by a Caesar or side salad, and tasty garlic bread quickly brought (with separate oil/garlic on the side). However, a requested food substitution of angel hair pasta for spaghetti was slow, requiring two waitresses to deal with that delay Also, our two couples' bill was not split as requested when we ordered, and when it was split, all beverages stayed on one of the bills. We had to remind the otherwise very friendly waitress to do things for us! That detracted from the experience. We may try another local Italian restaurant with possibly less waitress issues. (And we came in at 5 pm, ahead of any real crowd.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and superbRayLDined on 1/14/2014Excellent service and superb menu(lots of great choices).Special Features:
- Nice first timeLuv2eatDined on 1/7/2014First time at Mamma Lucia's and the food was very good as was the wine. Atmosphere is cozy not loud, A nice place to dine as a couple or group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Enjoyed.cgrnDined on 12/31/2013Great food. Love the bread and seasoned olive oil that is presented upon arrival to the table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Night at Mama Lucia'sjtbbkbVIPDined on 12/27/2013Our group consisted of 4 adults and an infant. The table was ready when we arrived, including the hi-chair. We went with two pizzas and the eggplant parmigiana for the entrees. Food was very good. We also love the garlic bread and olive oil they provide. Beer selection is ok, but only one draft beer selection. Everything else was bottled beer with no listing provided so we had to name several choices before the waiter indicated it was available. Wine selection was better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDonnaVIPDined on 12/24/2013We usually get carryout pizza here but decided to have a christmas eve dinner with 4 others. The manager was extremely rude when I discovered that the bottle of wine we were served was not on the menu displaying the price and was $20 more than a similar bottle on the menu. He tried to argue with me that it was the last bottle they had. If the price of the wine was reflected on the menu, I would not have ordered it. The food was not great and grease was pooling from the sauce on my friend's plate. We were all very disappointed. The server was great and kept her chin up in spite of the manager's unprofessional attitude. We will continue to get carryout pizza as it is amazing.
- Always good!FredVIPDined on 11/27/2013Been going to Mamma Lucias since it opened. Some new additions to the wine list now makes this even more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food, including three dinners,DaveDined on 11/23/2013Food, including three dinners, salads and desserts, was bland. No character. Service (by Jorge) was excellent.Special Features:
- Friday night outingjtbbkbVIPDined on 11/22/2013We were up for some Italian food so we headed to Mamma Lucia's after work. Our 6:00 pm reservation beat the rush - when we left at 7:00 the place was very crowded and much nosier. Selection of wine by the glass is good, service is always excellent and the selections of lasagna and spaghetti w/sausage fulfilled our cravings.Special Features:
- Great Italian ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/12/2013Mama Lucia of Olney was a great dinner experience for my girlfriend and I. The staff was extremely nice and there was no wait time for us to be seated. We will visit Mama Lucia of Olney again to try their pizza :)Special Features:
- The dishes are big and theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/10/2013The dishes are big and the pizzas are good. I could find putanesca? dish on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing Fancy, Just Good ItalianBeachEatsVIPDined on 10/22/2013Mamma Lucia is not some pretentious downtown restaurant. No, it's just a nice spot in a strip mall in the Olney suburbs. It has a really good selection of salads, pastas, pizza, and seafood. The serving sizes are generous and the prices are very affordable. My wife and I both enjoyed our pasta selections and we'll be likely to come back again soon.Special Features:
- A bit disappointedHappyDined on 10/19/2013While everything was outstanding as far as the dining experience, the hodges staff was a bit disappointing. It was fairly busy, but even with our reservation we still had to wait 15-20 minutes for our table. Not really sure why though.Special Features:
- Lots of Bland FoodChasrVIPDined on 10/13/2013While the service and ambience of this restaurant were very good, the food overall was a disappointment. Even the bread course which should be a no-brainer was a loser. What appeared to be store bought, pre-sliced Italian bread was served with a oil and parmesan mix. The parmesan cheese had all the flavor of cottage cheese. In the salad course, the salad dressings were virtually flavorless. My wife and I both choose different entrees from the daily specials. She did enjoy her dish though I thought it a little too sweet. My pasta entree was barely OK, nothing to write home about, with very little developed flavor. As we ate this food we kept looking out the window at the Japanese restaurant across the parking lot wishing we were there.