Mamma Lucia of Olney
18224 Village Center Drive
Olney, MD 20832Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Mamma Lucia of Olney
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mammaluciarestaurants.com/
- Phone: (301) 570-9500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 10:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: WiFi
A word from Mamma Lucia of Olney
While Bruno was running the successful Rockville Mamma Lucia, his future partner was operating his namesake restaurant, "Jimmy's Place" in Gaithersburg, MD. Introduced by a mutual friend, Jimmy and Bruno soon became good friends and, of course, had the restaurant business as a mutual interest. Having been raised in the Bronx, NY by his native Italian parents (from Rome and Naples,) Bruno had worked at his father’s Italian restaurant since he was 14 years old. Jimmy is a native of the Washington area and, after graduating from the University of Maryland, he left the real estate business to open "Jimmy's Place". The two became business partners in Mamma Lucia in 1997. Since then, they have opened restaurants in Bethesda, Olney and Fallsgrove in Rockville, MD. With Bruno’s dedication to the freshest ingredients for his kitchens and Jimmy’s drive for outstanding customer service, the results are a winning combination!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mamma Lucia of Olney reviews from OpenTable diners
3 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelQuiet
kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (2)neighborhood gem (2)Show More
- ItalianjbeeVIPDined on 9/25/2013As usual the staff is friendly the restaurant is very well maintained. The environment is good for children and adults the food is tasty while goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They make excellent PizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/1/2013They make excellent Pizza and have a large selection of entrees. Their antipasto salad was also very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had an excellent dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2013We had an excellent dinner at Mama Lucia's after a show at Olney. Huge portions - delicious food, cooked to perfection. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service and dinner!buzzVIPDined on 8/3/2013Great food, service and dinner! We'll be back...your pizza now tastes like the Rockville location, which is an original and is outstanding!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy food; too generous portionsframyproctVIPDined on 6/28/2013We've been going to Mama Lucia's for many years. My husband likes the pasta dishes which are so large he always immediately separates it into two portions and takes half home.. I usually get salads and vegetables. I recently got a special brussel sprouts and pancetta appetizer that was outstanding. Last time I had asparagus and smoked salmon which was great. Their salads are a good size(for me that means large). The house dressing is very vinegary which I also like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Great ValueBeachEatsVIPDined on 6/25/2013By no means is Mamma Lucia a fancy, pretentious restaurant. It's located in an Olney strip mall and looks pretty ordinary from the outside. However, once you get inside, you'll be impressed by the selection and quality of the Italian offerings. The bread and rolls were tasty, the salads were solid, and our entries (Ziti for my wife, lasagna for myself) were very good. The serving sizes were very large. We had enough leftovers to make another meal the next night. The prices were very reasonable. We've got Mamma Lucia on our list of spots and will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageBettisVIPDined on 6/12/2013food is only average, and prices are not. I have been many times, food quality has really dropped off. pizza average at best. pasta - poorSpecial Features:
- Graduation LunchbarbloutDined on 6/8/2013Prfect for our group. Food was just fine, service was great, lots of lunch choices.Special Features:
- Don't be fooled by the location!ChadVIPDined on 5/23/2013Olney is full of great places to eat and one may be initially fooled by the strip-mall appearance of Mama Lucia, that the food will be quick, pedestrian fare. Not the case! Mama Lucia is truly a neighborhood gem appropriate for friends and family gatherings of all sizes. Great portions, a substantial menu to chose from, and consistently friendly service. Worth the trip!Special Features:
- Fantastic food!MaryannDined on 5/12/2013The food is excellent. My son asked for a different sauce and for the chef to take out the calamari and replace with scallops and it was not a problem at all. The bread and diping sauce was fantastic - garlic, oil and cheese on toasted bread. I personally had the Capellini Adriacata and it was wonderful. The seafood was cooked perfectfully and the sauce was light and very tasty. The protions are large so you will no doubtly have leftovers to take home.Special Features:
- Wonderful Mother's Day LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/12/2013The entire team there was fantastic, welcoming, and warm. Thanks!
- review20kwg1Dined on 5/7/2013As usual, the food was great!!! The person keeping our glasses full was outstanding. The waitress was not very attenative. We ask for boxes for leftovers when we received our food but she failed to inform us that she would take care of packaging our leftovers when she removed our plates at the end. It took her a long time to bring our bill and she never came to collect payment--we had to hunt her down. She couldn't remember who order what, but she did get every thing we ordered right. Since we were a party of 7, the 18% gratuity was automatically added. All of us definitely felt that her service didn't warrant that much. I'm hoping that she was new and will get better with time, but since her tip was automatic, I'm not so sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/15/2013Mamma Lucia's is one of my favorite restaurants. The food is always amazing, staff is friendly and the owner is seen throughout the restaurant. Wine list is exceptional. Oneo fmy pet peeves is going into a restaurant that does not have red wine glasses and they have them! The pour is generous and fairly priced. Definitely kid friendly and the kids menu has a lot of options. Love this place!Special Features:
- We dine here on a regular basis.RSH0407VIPDined on 4/14/2013A restaurant that we frequent on a regular basis. The food here is quite delicious and we have never been disappointed. The Italian bread with "jimmi" sauce is excellent. My wife's favorite is fetachini bolognse. I really enjoy the penne with vodka sauce. I can assure you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Classy and family friendlyJulieDined on 4/9/2013A bit pricey but good food, i would recommend to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were quite disappointedFingerLakesgalVIPDined on 4/5/2013We were quite disappointed as this was our neighborhood "go to" Italian restaurant. The portions, as always, were huge, but not particularly flavorful and my chicken was very dry.
- Dependable Italian food fromsbc1023VIPDined on 4/2/2013Dependable Italian food from local chain. Wine list pricey for a neighborhood chain.Special Features:
- Bread and water arrived immediatelyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/24/2013Bread and water arrived immediately, but the veal marsala was diluted by the flat red sauce of the spaghetti. The veal itself was poor quality for $22.50. Having tried this fare, we will patronize other Olney restaurants.
- Always enjoy dining here!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/16/2013Always enjoy dining here! Food is fresh and hot and delicious!Special Features:
- Good food, sub par serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013We love dining at Mama Lucia restaurants. We especially like this location because of the atmosphere. The food was delicious as always, but the service was terrible on this occasion. Every other time we have been there the service has been pretty good, but this time our waitress seemed to be brand new (and if not new, not well trained), did not know the menu or alchohol selection at all, and forgot to put our order in. I can forgive a mistake, but when she told us that we had been waiting for our food longer than it took 4 other tables to be sat, served, and paid out, I was a little insulted. That said, the food is awesome and we will most likely be back.Special Features:
- Everything worked out fineOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Everything worked out fine because our reservation was fairly early but when we got there they didn't seem to have the reservation which kind of surprised me after having tried your service for the first time......so maybe next time I need to try to make a reservation sooner or maybe they did have it but the hostess didn't seem to give the impression that the restaurant did!!Special Features:
- Very good selection of seafoodjtbbkbVIPDined on 2/13/2013Very good selection of seafood entrees. Lobster Ravioli and the Cappelini Adriatico were very good! Wednesday is also half price wine bottle night!! Outstanding service by our waiter (David) and staff.
- Great Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/11/2013Great time had by all; the food (as always) was delicious and more than enough; the manager came over to acknowledge our group and took part in singing happy birthday to our guest of honor; it was the first for many in the group but everyone wants to return -- everything was very nice.Special Features:
- Fast, tasty, reasonably priced.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/9/2013Fast, tasty, reasonably priced. A good neighborhood staple. Just LOVE the lasagna. Very buttery/cheesy!
- Great Rice balls in tomataoClevelandparkguruVIPDined on 1/12/2013Great Rice balls in tomatao sauce as a starter. Salmon alla forno was perfect and a good portion. my guest enjoy the classic chicken cutlet parm. Nice itailan red. good meal. Perfect local place.Special Features:
- Try someplace else.....OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/31/2012We had a 7:15 reservation on New Year’s, expected a crowd, but the reservation was pretty much useless because from what we could tell, the manager “Rick” chose to “override” the system to sit larger parties first. We were not the only ones frustrated by this. Rick’s enthusiasm extended so far as to request a couple move mid-meal so that he could accommodate a larger group. As the clock on the reservation system was incorrect, whatever it says was the time we sat down that information would be wrong. We were easily 10 minutes early for our reservation and easily 30 minutes beyond our reservation when seated. It would have been better not to have taken reservations for that evening than to have inconvenienced so many;
- My husband and I went to MammaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012My husband and I went to Mamma Lucia's on New Year's Eve. Very good food and service! Highly recommended over The Olive Garden! Food is authentic and portions are extremely large so we took half of it home with us. Table was available when we requested it to be.Special Features:
- Very good service and foodClevelandparkguruVIPDined on 12/24/2012Very good service and food was very good. I was very pleased with the salmon. good portion and the grilled piece was very good. Many of the guests had shrimp dishes which they all enjoyed.Special Features:
- Food was good, service mediocre.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/11/2012Food was good, service mediocre. Our waiter was clearing the table (salt and pepper shakers, sugar, cream, etc.) as we were having our coffee. I'm sure we'll be back, but hope we have a different waiter.Special Features:
- Just what you'd expect fromOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012Just what you'd expect from a neighborhood Italian restaurant. Good food, decent wine, lots of families and attentive but not overbearing wait staff. All around good place to grab dinner.Special Features:
- 'Hat's off to MamaLucia if OlneyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/2/2012Always a winner in Olney. Service is prompt, courteous and spot on, Their servers and bus service are always there to serve, refill clean-up and take an order. They know the kitchen, the meals, what's fresh and what's good and what not to order. The managers always come around to ask how things are. Mama Lucia of Olney has spoiled me. I tried their pizza not to long ago and it;s hard for me now to accept anything less.Special Features:
- Like almost all restaurantsPickyeatersreviewDined on 11/18/2012Like almost all restaurants we visit, the noise level is too high! Addition of some sound mufflling features would be welcome!Special Features:
- Great place for in Olney for a mealEdwardVIPDined on 10/30/2012I had the house salad and the NY steak, both were very good. Added a glass of Chianti and it was the perfect meal with friends. Service was good and friendly. I enjoy Mamma Lucia's. It is a family (two families actually) owned restaurant that is consistently good.Special Features:
- We had 11 people coming toDiane102360Dined on 10/24/2012We had 11 people coming to dinner that night-one from Tysons, 2 from Bethesda, one from Columbia and the rest relatively close by. I cannot stand when a restaurant won't seat a group until everyone arrives-so annoying! That was not the case this night at Mamma Lucia's and we appreciate that! It only benefits the server when people can be seated and start ordering, right? Thanks~Special Features:
- The restaurant had a veryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/13/2012The restaurant had a very large group of high school students which made service a bit slower than usual and a bit more chaotic - forgot to bring bread, forgot to ask about salads, etc. Otherwise it was good food as usual.Special Features:
- Terrific, but won't be going back.MarsDined on 9/8/2012The service and food were a cut above similarly styled restaurants. ALL staff, without exception, were welcoming and friendly without being overbearing. The portions were generous, and the high quality of ingredients is obvious. The decor and setting are pleasant, albeit mildly cramped, and fairly shouts "upscale family". However, even given the service and quality, it's hard to reconcile $15 spaghetti & meatballs, a $23 veal parmigiana and a $27 pizza with my financial reality. They appear to be doing very well, but they'll have to continue without me. Shame.
- Usually a great neighborhoodN13013VIPDined on 8/25/2012Usually a great neighborhood go-to place, our food was only average that night. Mussels were very very small, sauces were way too sweet. Salads were good though and our server very attentive.
- This was my first time visitingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2012This was my first time visiting a Mamma Lucia establishment (was the Onley, MD location) and I was underwhelmed. This was not a terrible experience, but one that didn't match expectations. When I go to a restaraunt that advertizes entrees in the $15-30 range, I expect things like cracked pepper to be offered with my food and don't expect the server to ask me if I "want to keep my fork" when taking my empty salad plate (that was never graced with croutons). The staff I came into contact with were polite/friendly; nothing stood out a terrible or exceptional. As for the meal, again I was underwhelmed by our dishes, but this could have simply been due to our choices. That said, I don't expect to return to and try other options on the menu.
- Great food and the leftoversLynn429VIPDined on 7/28/2012Great food and the leftovers were also excellent 3 days later!Special Features:
- Standard, comforting ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/7/2012Standard, comforting Italian food, at the right price. Tastes the way you like it and presented nicely. Homey and friendly.Special Features: