570 Higuera St. Suite 130
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401Neighborhood:
San Luis Obispo
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mamasmeatball.com/
- Phone: (805) 544-0861
- Hours of Operation:
Open Tuesday to Sunday from 10:30 am to 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Nicola Allegretta
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Mama's Meatball is proud to introduce our exclusive full service catering division, Haute Catering, specializing in Weddings and Events.
We welcome you to visit www.HauteCatering.com to see the myriad of services we have to offer for your special event. Contact our event specialist Jackeline Allegretta at 805-704-3744
- Special Events: Whether you are planning an intimate gathering of 5 or a celebration of 1000 attendees, no task is too large or too small; Haute Catering will set the tone for an unforgettable experience of epicurean excellence.
Première and Launch Party
On site Dinner Meetings
Teambuilding and Training Programs
Open House Receptions
Movie Set Catering
Private Air Travel Catering
A word from Mama's Meatball
Mama's Meatball has specialized in creating seasonal menus by using only the finest and freshest ingredients. We have vast experience in creating exceptional environments with a full service catering for weddings, special events, holiday parties, corporate engagements & gatherings of any size and location. It is our pleasure to make sure that everything looks and feels as extraordinary as it will taste.Continued
Come join us in the Creamery in downtown San Luis Obispo and enjoy our authentic Italian cooking featuring housemade pastas, pizzas, breads, and desserts.
Come join us in the Creamery in downtown San Luis Obispo and enjoy our authentic Italian cooking featuring housemade pastas, pizzas, breads, and desserts.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Mama's Meatball - Best Restaurants in San Luis Obispo ›
Mama's Meatball reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (30)neighborhood gem (29)special occasion (21)romantic (19)notable wine list (13)kid-friendly (12)good for groups (9)late-night find (5)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (3)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Enjoyed every mouthful!TrishDined on 11/9/2014Luckily we made reservations for this very popular and busy restaurant while visiting SLO. My husband and I shared the pear gorgonzola salad, side of meatballs, ravioli di zucca, and flourless chocolate dessert. The meal was served with these addictive garlic rolls. I ended this amazing dining experience with an espresso. Wow! Not a morsel was left on our plates!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/28/2014You can always count on Mama's Meatballs for a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- absolutely wonderfulilovemamaDined on 10/26/2014A San Luis Obispo gem that must be shared with the whole community! If you haven't gone yet, you are missing out on SLO's best Italian food.Special Features:
- Family friendly reasonable pricesppdavis12Dined on 10/23/2014We took our college freshman here for dinner on Cal-Poly's parent's weekend. We had the calamari, which could use more seasoning but was otherwise good. Shared a caeser salad and I had the half rack of lamb, my son had the chicken Parmesan, and my husband had the lasagna. Portion sizes were just right and we all thoroughly enjoyed our meals. Tiramisu and flourless chocolate cake for dessert rounded out the meal. Nice ambience for any occasion. Our waiter was friendly, knowledgable, and provide great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Food!foodie1Dined on 10/18/2014Anytime I'm in SLO, I make a special trip to Mama's Meatballs with my Cal Poly son and his roommates. It's a special treat for all of us. The evening's special shrimp ravioli was delicious!Special Features:
- BobOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/18/2014This is our third time eating at this establishment and we have always been more than impressed! The food and service is off the charts. Authentic Italian cuisine in the Central Coast.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem!GGeatsDined on 10/15/2014This was our first visit to Mama's Meatball...I ordered the Pollo Romano...so much flavor "I was tempted to lick the plate"! Have told friends about our experience and look forward to returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinning gemRbobbytDined on 10/14/2014A dinning experience beyond discription. Such old world Italian atmosphere and the food outstanding. Have added this restaurant to my personal top tenSpecial Features:
- Great Place!PorcellinaDined on 10/10/2014I was visiting SLO from LA and looking specifically for pizza. I found this place online and chose it because of all the positive reviews. Well, it did not disappoint! I got the Margherita pizza w/ added sausage and it was fantastic! It was thin crust which I typically don't like because it's usually crispy but this was the best tasting thin crust I have ever had because it was soft. If you are looking for great pizza, come to Mama's Meatball! The service was also superb. We went early, 4:30pm so it was pretty quiet therefore, I can't say what it's like during the late evening/night. My friend got one of the specials and it was delicious too. Can't remember what it was but it was orecchiette with sausage in a basic but delicious sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expectedDiningDanDined on 10/3/2014Having heard very good comments ranging from very good to spectacular by others who had been the Mama's, we were delighted to be able to get a late night reservation for a spur of the moment situation. It was either Mama's or Denny's. The ambiance was very nice with an old-town feel. The service was very good. The waiters were attentive and helpful with our food selection, but that is where things began to go south for us. The appetizer was a delightful experience, but the main entrees we far less than spectacular. I had to refrain from giving the meal a poor rating, only because of the appetizer. This being our first experience, the jury is still out. It could have been a bad night for them, so we will try it again someday to be fair.Special Features:
- JennyVIPDined on 9/27/2014Always a great meal and lovely atmosphere! We love being able to make reservations on Open Table, too.Special Features:
- Everyone was happyscruffydanDined on 9/26/20144 of us celebrated a Birthday. I had a chicken pesto lasagna that was very good and the other 3 all enjoyed their fresh sea bass special. Good service, good wine, birthday desert provided.Special Features:
- MM has become one of our favoritessloelsieDined on 9/20/2014This restaurant came well recommended to us. We have eaten there at least 4 times in the last month. We have found the décor , the service, and, especially, the food to be most excellent. My husband and I have dined "alone" at times. However, on several occasions, we have brought out of town guests. Everyone has enjoyed their meals tremendously. Highly recommended! Also, I like their online reservation option.Special Features:
- Always awesome!!DCarpeDined on 9/19/2014We have been eating at Mama's Meatballs for several years now. I love Italian and we have never been disappointed . My favorite is the butternut squash ravioli. We call the bread, little knots of heaven. But seriously, the food is always great and the service has never been anything but perfect. I do recommend a reservation if you are dining at the regular dinner hour. It gets full quickly. The dining room is small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the best Italian cuisine!food4thoughtDined on 9/12/2014Warm hospitality, cozy atmosphere, incredibly fresh top-quality food (including homegrown organic veg) prepared with brilliant care... Mama really does make the meatballs, and exquisite desserts, and this whole family will make you feel wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014We love Mama's Meatballs Restaurant! We had a party of 8 for my son's 2nd birthday and they were so accommodating and even brought him a little treat and sang happy birthday. The food is absolutely wonderful!! We will be back for sure!Special Features:
- We go here every time we go to SLOdaveatglendoraDined on 9/6/2014Never had a bad meal here. Wait staff good. Food worth the long wait. Seemed noisier this time though. We have dined here 2-4 times a year for past ~5 years. Always make reservations w/ OpenTable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent AtmosphereTheDudeDined on 9/3/2014It was a great evening, the service was not rushed and very polite and helpful. Lighting was soft but not dark and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Never miss opportunity for Mama'sGrampsDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I visit San Luis Obispo three to four times a year and make Mama's a must stop. We are never disappointed. Great food, great service and great ambiance.Special Features:
- Local gemJeanDined on 8/23/2014This is a stellar restaurant in all respects...food, service, and ambiance!Special Features:
- RoccoDined on 8/16/2014We dine here because the food is always predictably very good. On our last visit, the room was very noisy and it was difficult to hear our conversations, but that must mean business is good! We will continue to patronize Mama's Meatballs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Nice AtmosphereCtbrettDined on 8/15/2014Some of the better Italian restaurants I've been to. Portions not large, but big enough to not walk away hungry. Service was good, but could have been a bit quicker for ordering. Ambiance was quaint and nice, but small interior and no waiting area kept it from getting 5 stars. Enjoyed the food very much, and they were generous with the braided bread, which was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteJohnW90Dined on 8/15/2014Went here for husbands birthday and had a wonderful meal. Service was great and they even brought out a dessert with a candle and sang happy birthday to him. Have never been disappointed with the service or food here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodTiaMiaOhMyDined on 8/9/2014This was our first visit to Mams's and WOW! We will definitely go back. We both ordered different nightly specials. One was an ahi tuna and the other was a filet. We also had the zucchini app...delish! We finished with a shared piece of Tiramirsou and black regular coffee. Wonderful meal, wonderful evening. It's a little loud in the open restuarant so if you're wanting a "romantic" intimate dinner this is not your place but if you want GREAT food, GREAT service and hussle and bussle around you, you'll LOVE this handsomely priced hideaway!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!RCmountain1Dined on 8/7/2014Mama's was recommended to us by friends when we asked where we could find the best Italian food in SLO. Wow, were they right! Our whole family raved about the experience... We all wanted to return the next day. You won't be disappointed....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ItalianPaulyDined on 8/5/2014Charming and attentive service like being entertained by friends. The food from the fresh mozzarella & speck to the meatballs, pizza, homemade ravioli, sea bass, the lightest & creamiest cannoli ever and the lattes was as good as anything we've had in Italy as well as our native Arthur Ave in the Bronx! Wish I were not on vacation and could go there regularly. It would be a sin of omission to be in the SLO area and not dine at Mama's Meatball!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italianyummy124Dined on 7/30/2014My favorite SLO Italian stop, and my family visiting in town loved it!Special Features:
- slorhpDined on 7/30/2014the service was attentive and pleasant. on this occasion the lasange appeared to be reheated and a bit flat in flavor...perhaps it'd been frozen. the linguini pasta was not al dente but overcooked and mushy. having dined at Mama's meatball many times this meal wasn't up to par and usually the food preps are much better.Special Features:
- The following 414 reviews are from the Mama's Meatball reviews archive.
- Quaint ItalianDishesDined on 7/27/2014Reminds me of quaint restaurants in small towns around Italy. There were only 2 waiters servicing the entire place so don't expect rushed or hurried service, much like Italy. Great food. Especially great gluten free. One of the best GF pizza crusts I've had. I spoke with chef before leaving and was told that the flour mix was shipped from Italy. Love that commitment to quality product!Special Features:
- JudyVIPDined on 7/23/2014We are new to the SLO area and are starting to explore restaurants. We had the knots based on recommendations on open table and they were great. We had veal scallopini and a baked pasta. The pasta was excellent - it had eggplant in it also which gave it a perfect taste - different than other baked pastas that we've had. the veal tasted good but it was a little too thick. The Caesar salad was ok but I would probably recommend a different salad. Our server was very pleasant, informative and professional. I'm sorry that I didn't catch his name. The restaurant is small but very inviting and despite the small space, the tables are private.Special Features:
- More than MeatballsartcDined on 7/20/2014This restaurant has been in SLO for years, has a loyal following and the food quality is excellent. So is the service. My wife has special needs and they are accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and WineChrisDined on 7/19/2014Having lived in Italy for the past three years, the food at Mama’s Meatball reminded us being back in Tuscany! Their list of Italian wines is also very extensive and the wait staff is very attentive. We will defiantly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Amazing service and food, extremely cute little restaurant that has great lighting and is casually romantic. Food is EXCELLENT. The butternut squash ravioli is extremely savory and much more filling than I expected. WaitSpecial Features:
- Great Place for a Family NightMominabookDined on 7/15/2014With their varied menu, there's something for everybody from picky kids to vegetarians. The waiters were patient, the food was great, and we had a really good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected delightMPboVIPDined on 7/11/2014Great find ! Food excellent would go there again when I am in town!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian Food EverNoland4foodDined on 7/9/2014We were on vacation in SLO and wanted Italian food and oh my gosh, did we find it!!! This was the best italian food EVER with good prices and great service!!! From the Meatballs to the lasagna and of course who could forget the Garlic Knot bread, ALL WONDERFUL!!! Best sauce I have ever tasted. We also indulged in Mama's homemade ricotta cheesecake (so light, not to sweet and of course scrumptious), and the homemade gelato, what can we say except DELICIOUS!!! Atmosphere was cozy and very inviting. We will go back when we return to SLO.Special Features:
- Great Food!lovetoeatDined on 7/5/2014We love Mama's Meatball. Every time we are in San Luis Obispo, we always dine at Mama's Meatball. We love the food and of course their desserts as well and the staff are super friendly. This visit was even more memorable because we had the pleasure of meeting "Mama" and that made our dining complete.Special Features:
- Always OutstandingOutstandingDined on 6/28/2014Moma's Meatball is a special place for us. The waiters are great and the food is too. We always look forward to dining at Moma's Meatball.Special Features:
- This place never disappoints!!EnjoyingFoodDined on 6/27/2014We've been coming here for years and although we miss the Oceano place, we have learned to love the SLO location! Great food, great service!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent & authentic Italian Foodjp4019Dined on 6/18/2014Plenty of selections, attention to detail by chef and maitre d; best to have reservations if arriving for evening meal after 7pm. Next door, from same kitchen is a take out service, handy of restaurant full and you must have Italian dishes.. parking available, in a court tucked away from street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.