570 Higuera St. Suite 130
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401Neighborhood:
San Luis Obispo
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mamasmeatball.com/
- Phone: 8055440861x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Tuesday to Sunday from 10:30 am to 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Nicola Allegretta
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Mama's Meatball is proud to introduce our exclusive full service catering division, Haute Catering, specializing in Weddings and Events.
We welcome you to visit www.HauteCatering.com to see the myriad of services we have to offer for your special event. Contact our event specialist Jackeline Allegretta at 805-704-3744
- Special Events: Whether you are planning an intimate gathering of 5 or a celebration of 1000 attendees, no task is too large or too small; Haute Catering will set the tone for an unforgettable experience of epicurean excellence.
Première and Launch Party
On site Dinner Meetings
Teambuilding and Training Programs
Open House Receptions
Movie Set Catering
Private Air Travel Catering
A word from Mama's Meatball
Mama's Meatball has specialized in creating seasonal menus by using only the finest and freshest ingredients. We have vast experience in creating exceptional environments with a full service catering for weddings, special events, holiday parties, corporate engagements & gatherings of any size and location. It is our pleasure to make sure that everything looks and feels as extraordinary as it will taste.Continued
Come join us in the Creamery in downtown San Luis Obispo and enjoy our authentic Italian cooking featuring housemade pastas, pizzas, breads, and desserts.
Come join us in the Creamery in downtown San Luis Obispo and enjoy our authentic Italian cooking featuring housemade pastas, pizzas, breads, and desserts.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Mama's Meatball - Best Restaurants in San Luis Obispo ›
Mama's Meatball reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (38)fit for foodies (32)romantic (23)special occasion (23)kid-friendly (17)good for groups (15)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (8)late-night find (5)great for brunch (4)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Always awesome!!DCarpeDined on 9/19/2014We have been eating at Mama's Meatballs for several years now. I love Italian and we have never been disappointed . My favorite is the butternut squash ravioli. We call the bread, little knots of heaven. But seriously, the food is always great and the service has never been anything but perfect. I do recommend a reservation if you are dining at the regular dinner hour. It gets full quickly. The dining room is small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the best Italian cuisine!food4thoughtDined on 9/12/2014Warm hospitality, cozy atmosphere, incredibly fresh top-quality food (including homegrown organic veg) prepared with brilliant care... Mama really does make the meatballs, and exquisite desserts, and this whole family will make you feel wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014We love Mama's Meatballs Restaurant! We had a party of 8 for my son's 2nd birthday and they were so accommodating and even brought him a little treat and sang happy birthday. The food is absolutely wonderful!! We will be back for sure!Special Features:
- We go here every time we go to SLOdaveatglendoraDined on 9/6/2014Never had a bad meal here. Wait staff good. Food worth the long wait. Seemed noisier this time though. We have dined here 2-4 times a year for past ~5 years. Always make reservations w/ OpenTable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent AtmosphereTheDudeDined on 9/3/2014It was a great evening, the service was not rushed and very polite and helpful. Lighting was soft but not dark and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Never miss opportunity for Mama'sGrampsDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I visit San Luis Obispo three to four times a year and make Mama's a must stop. We are never disappointed. Great food, great service and great ambiance.Special Features:
- Local gemJeanDined on 8/23/2014This is a stellar restaurant in all respects...food, service, and ambiance!Special Features:
- RoccoDined on 8/16/2014We dine here because the food is always predictably very good. On our last visit, the room was very noisy and it was difficult to hear our conversations, but that must mean business is good! We will continue to patronize Mama's Meatballs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Nice AtmosphereCtbrettDined on 8/15/2014Some of the better Italian restaurants I've been to. Portions not large, but big enough to not walk away hungry. Service was good, but could have been a bit quicker for ordering. Ambiance was quaint and nice, but small interior and no waiting area kept it from getting 5 stars. Enjoyed the food very much, and they were generous with the braided bread, which was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteJohnW90Dined on 8/15/2014Went here for husbands birthday and had a wonderful meal. Service was great and they even brought out a dessert with a candle and sang happy birthday to him. Have never been disappointed with the service or food here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodTiaMiaOhMyDined on 8/9/2014This was our first visit to Mams's and WOW! We will definitely go back. We both ordered different nightly specials. One was an ahi tuna and the other was a filet. We also had the zucchini app...delish! We finished with a shared piece of Tiramirsou and black regular coffee. Wonderful meal, wonderful evening. It's a little loud in the open restuarant so if you're wanting a "romantic" intimate dinner this is not your place but if you want GREAT food, GREAT service and hussle and bussle around you, you'll LOVE this handsomely priced hideaway!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!RCmountain1Dined on 8/7/2014Mama's was recommended to us by friends when we asked where we could find the best Italian food in SLO. Wow, were they right! Our whole family raved about the experience... We all wanted to return the next day. You won't be disappointed....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ItalianPaulyDined on 8/5/2014Charming and attentive service like being entertained by friends. The food from the fresh mozzarella & speck to the meatballs, pizza, homemade ravioli, sea bass, the lightest & creamiest cannoli ever and the lattes was as good as anything we've had in Italy as well as our native Arthur Ave in the Bronx! Wish I were not on vacation and could go there regularly. It would be a sin of omission to be in the SLO area and not dine at Mama's Meatball!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italianyummy124Dined on 7/30/2014My favorite SLO Italian stop, and my family visiting in town loved it!Special Features:
- slorhpDined on 7/30/2014the service was attentive and pleasant. on this occasion the lasange appeared to be reheated and a bit flat in flavor...perhaps it'd been frozen. the linguini pasta was not al dente but overcooked and mushy. having dined at Mama's meatball many times this meal wasn't up to par and usually the food preps are much better.Special Features:
- Quaint ItalianDishesDined on 7/27/2014Reminds me of quaint restaurants in small towns around Italy. There were only 2 waiters servicing the entire place so don't expect rushed or hurried service, much like Italy. Great food. Especially great gluten free. One of the best GF pizza crusts I've had. I spoke with chef before leaving and was told that the flour mix was shipped from Italy. Love that commitment to quality product!Special Features:
- JudyVIPDined on 7/23/2014We are new to the SLO area and are starting to explore restaurants. We had the knots based on recommendations on open table and they were great. We had veal scallopini and a baked pasta. The pasta was excellent - it had eggplant in it also which gave it a perfect taste - different than other baked pastas that we've had. the veal tasted good but it was a little too thick. The Caesar salad was ok but I would probably recommend a different salad. Our server was very pleasant, informative and professional. I'm sorry that I didn't catch his name. The restaurant is small but very inviting and despite the small space, the tables are private.Special Features:
- More than MeatballsartcDined on 7/20/2014This restaurant has been in SLO for years, has a loyal following and the food quality is excellent. So is the service. My wife has special needs and they are accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and WineChrisDined on 7/19/2014Having lived in Italy for the past three years, the food at Mama’s Meatball reminded us being back in Tuscany! Their list of Italian wines is also very extensive and the wait staff is very attentive. We will defiantly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Amazing service and food, extremely cute little restaurant that has great lighting and is casually romantic. Food is EXCELLENT. The butternut squash ravioli is extremely savory and much more filling than I expected. WaitSpecial Features:
- Great Place for a Family NightMominabookDined on 7/15/2014With their varied menu, there's something for everybody from picky kids to vegetarians. The waiters were patient, the food was great, and we had a really good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected delightMPboVIPDined on 7/11/2014Great find ! Food excellent would go there again when I am in town!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian Food EverNoland4foodDined on 7/9/2014We were on vacation in SLO and wanted Italian food and oh my gosh, did we find it!!! This was the best italian food EVER with good prices and great service!!! From the Meatballs to the lasagna and of course who could forget the Garlic Knot bread, ALL WONDERFUL!!! Best sauce I have ever tasted. We also indulged in Mama's homemade ricotta cheesecake (so light, not to sweet and of course scrumptious), and the homemade gelato, what can we say except DELICIOUS!!! Atmosphere was cozy and very inviting. We will go back when we return to SLO.Special Features:
- Great Food!lovetoeatDined on 7/5/2014We love Mama's Meatball. Every time we are in San Luis Obispo, we always dine at Mama's Meatball. We love the food and of course their desserts as well and the staff are super friendly. This visit was even more memorable because we had the pleasure of meeting "Mama" and that made our dining complete.Special Features:
- Always OutstandingOutstandingDined on 6/28/2014Moma's Meatball is a special place for us. The waiters are great and the food is too. We always look forward to dining at Moma's Meatball.Special Features:
- This place never disappoints!!EnjoyingFoodDined on 6/27/2014We've been coming here for years and although we miss the Oceano place, we have learned to love the SLO location! Great food, great service!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent & authentic Italian Foodjp4019Dined on 6/18/2014Plenty of selections, attention to detail by chef and maitre d; best to have reservations if arriving for evening meal after 7pm. Next door, from same kitchen is a take out service, handy of restaurant full and you must have Italian dishes.. parking available, in a court tucked away from street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've discovered the BEST Italian!Just4UsDined on 6/15/2014We celebrated our son's graduation with supper at Mama's Meatballs and it was everything we hoped it to be in Italian dinning. Amazing food...we'll be back soon, thank you !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky FindRinSBVIPDined on 6/13/2014We felt lucky to find such a nice Italian restaurant at the last minute traveling north on 101. Service is outstanding, food very good with a great selection. We will definitely be back - lots more to try!Special Features:
- JulesJulesDined on 6/5/2014There were five of us and we all found the main dishes to be delicious. Then we tried three desserts, all were fresh and wonderful. The actual restaurant is small inside but the way it was decorated made it whimsical and fun to be in. We will come back in the future.Special Features:
- Omni SuperbGeauxThreauxDined on 5/28/2014Great all around, service, food, ambiance. Took family there for my wife's birthday dinner.Special Features:
- The following 396 reviews are from the Mama's Meatball reviews archive.
- Don't miss this placeLoriDined on 5/22/2014This place is GREAT! we were running late and they were very accomodatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian foodglobaldinerDined on 5/20/2014We had the most delicious dinner. Fennel Fritters, Garlic Bread Knots (a must!), Lasagna, Carbonara, Gnocchi, Bracciole, all delicious!! Wonderful salads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Italian in SLOTSilverDined on 5/11/2014First time at this restaurant and will return. On the spot service from the time we entered the restaurant until we left. Celebrated Mother's Day and my son's birthday. Enjoyed the specials and pasta dishes. All were well prepared and very tasty. My son said he will return on a date. It was a clean and nicely decorated like an outdoor French cafe. Nice place all around!Special Features:
- Great findgimmifoodDined on 5/11/2014Charming little spot with great authentic Italian dishes as well as desserts. Nice touches of sugar coated rose petals on some of the dishes. Had a very nice Mothers day brunch there. Staff and owner checked on us frequently. great people, great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodmarzfoodieDined on 5/11/2014We went to Mama's for Mother's Day lunch and had a very enjoyable and delicious meal. The service was perfect and everyone enjoyed! I believe this is family run and many of the recipes are unique. There were many specials among the extensive main menu. And yes the meatball are great. The restaurant is somewhat hidden in the Creamery, but worth the endeavor for a great meal and reasonable prices. We will definitely return on our next trip to Cal Poly. Truly a find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Mama's MeatballBostonLocalVIPDined on 5/7/2014Couple people said service was a nightmare, but Krishna waited on us and a more mature gentlemen was there as well. We were promptly greeted, seated, had drinks, took dinner order and food arrived promptly, although dining room was mostly full. Overheard several people tell wait staff how good their meal was. Romano Chicken was TERRIFIC - amazing sauce! Chianti wait staff recommended was very nice too. Not a huge fan of west coast take on Tiramisu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Your Go To Place!WoodchuckDined on 5/7/2014Mama's is our "Go To Place" ! The food is very reasonable and always great! A very good wine list that starts in the 20's and works it's way up. The menu has a wide range but I love the seafood pasta is incredible. If you are looking for a fast dinner this is not the place for you. We celebrated our 44th here and we still like talking to each other and there is time for that. Turning tables is not their goal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to be.badmeal1Dined on 5/3/2014I loved this eatery in the past. They changed menu and plates. The plates make the food look unappetizing. The portions are smaller and the Osso Bucco was tough, undercooked, and $24.00 for 4 bites. So disappointing with our meal and experience. We will not be back anytime soon. We will let everyone we know not to expect much if they go. Bummer! We used to really enjoy this place. Nothing last forever.Special Features:
- Great food. Poor service.ScubagirlDined on 5/3/2014The minute I walked in, I got an unfriendly vibe from the waiters. They seemed very in personable and awkward for being in such a nice restaurant. All I expect is a friendly smile, glass of water, and a "how is everything?" Is that too much to ask? Instead, I was just rushed to my seat wear is at for ten minutes without so much as a friendly greeting. All three waiters just seemed unfamiliar with interacting with customers. One even insulted me right in front of my family about picking up the tab. As for the food, it was delicious. Great portions and prices. However, because I never want to interact with the service again, I may not be going back.Special Features: