Mama's Fish House
799 Poho Place
Paia, HI 96779Neighborhood:
HawaiianPrice: $50 and over
Mama's Fish House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/
- Phone: 8085798488x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Reservations from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Dinner Reservations Nightly: 4:00pm-9:00pm
Entire Menu served all day.
Bar/lounge seating for walk-ins, based on availability from 11:00 am to 9:30 pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Perry Bateman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Birthday, Anniversary, Honeymoon. Mama's Fish House is sure to be the perfect place for an intimate celebration. Contact us directly for details on booking for lunch or dinner.
A word from Mama's Fish House
Mama's Fish House is actually a converted beach house in a coconut grove on a secluded white sand beach. Inside, hinged windows open to let in the trade winds and Polynesian artifacts and original oil paintings decorate tropical hardwood walls. The rooms are filled with spectacular flower arrangements and tapa print cloths cover the tables. Outdoor dining is equally exciting, and everyone enjoys watching the windsurfers performing offshore.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Mama's Fish House - Best Restaurants in Paia ›
Mama's Fish House reviews from OpenTable diners
987 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (870)special occasion (796)romantic (755)fit for foodies (557)great for outdoor dining (391)great for lunch (263)hot spot (251)neighborhood gem (184)notable wine list (150)good for groups (149)kid-friendly (124)great for brunch (75)vibrant bar scene (44)late-night find (28)Show More
- the perfect dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/15/2014we celebrated our 25th anniversary here and from the moment we walked we knew this was going to be a special evening and they did not disappoint us! the view right on the beach, the sunset, the lei that they gave me because it was our anniversary, the great service, who also offered to take photos on the beach, the incredibly creative and beautiful presentation of the food and depth of flavors! we could not have asked for anything more!Special Features:
- Delicious Food, Service & ViewsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Moment you pull in they park your car, views and beach setting is beautiful. Service impeccable, food is delicious. Great experience, a must do mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Save your $OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2014Mama's Fish House offers exceptional dishes, however, you'd better save your dollars otherwise you're liable to have heart failure. Dining at Mama's is not for the faint of heart, it is for foodies who are looking for that one amazing dish. Presentation is outstanding, quality was found in the first melt in your mouth bite, and the array of seafood dishes is extensive. I would recommend Mama's for a special occasion. The location and the view cannot be beat anywhere else.Special Features:
- Experience was Worth the PriceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Mama's Fish House has been recommended to me by everyone I know, from visitors to Hawaii to locals who grew up on the Island of Maui. I had to try it when visiting Maui this weekend. The area is great- right near the town of Paia, which is really cute to walk through. The location is perfectly ocean front- a great place to take a picture with the sunset before dinner. The service was a little slow but this is probably because people spend a lot of time there purposefully (characteristic atmosphere). The food & beverage were VERY expensive ($50-80 for an entrée alone) so I thought "this better be worth the price" and the food was AMAZING. Try the stuffed mahi mahi and the clam shell desert. It was a meal I will remember for a long time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey, but worth it!FoodCriticDined on 9/14/2014We've never had better prepared fish, anywhere. Yes, it's 2X more than you will typically pay elsewhere, but it's still worth it. We'll be back, again and again.Special Features:
- Perfect HawaiianOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Everything was delicious and really fresh. The ambiance is a bit kitschy, but done in a good way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!rcjacksoniiiVIPDined on 9/13/2014Quite simply, Amazing!! This was the second time my wife and I visited. The previous other time was our honeymoon. It was just as wonderful as I remember it. Food and view can not be matched on the Island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 45th wedding anniversaryGAT5678Dined on 9/13/2014I cannot say enough about this restaurant. Whenever we come to Maui we have to go to Mama's Fish House. The food the ambience is outstanding. The waitress was outstanding also.Special Features:
- Best diningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Food, ambience, and service are all perfect. Although it's pricey, you can't find fresh fish and the flavor they offer anywhere else. We loved it so much we came twice during the week we were in maui. One of the best restaurants we've been to and we go to many different restaurants. Their seared Ono is a must. Hawaiian ceviche was excellent and the best tuna I ever had in my life. Servers are very attentive and make excellent suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everyone Loves Mama'ssmmmartiDined on 9/13/2014The setting is sublime; the fish is to live for. But everything you put in your mouth from Mama's kitchen will send your tastebuds soaring. I was disappointed to learn the ahi salad is no longer on the menu as that was my lunchtime favorite. The sashimi plate, with four pieces each of three different fish, seems absurdly expensive at $26 but worth every red cent once you taste the trio. I highly recommend anyone who can afford it to make a reservation asap. I am back to naming Mama's Maui's best restaurant.Special Features:
- Delicious!!!JenniferDined on 9/13/2014The place was recommended by my friends. They said the fish delicious and I couldn't have agreed more!!!!. We had the lobster and crab stuffed Mahi Mahi and crab cakes for appetizer. Both dishes exceeded my expectations. The food came out a little slower than anticipated but they were well worth the wait.Special Features:
- The best!BorkiDined on 9/12/2014Mama's Fish House has by far been the best meal I've had in Hawaii. Well worth the drive from Kihei, where we were staying. The food was absolutely delicious, as I understand the menu changes depending on what the local fishermen have caught. I cannot recommend this place enough! Will definitely return the next time we are on Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Great fresh fish and tasty cocktails. Service was good. Very expensive, but worth a splurge for outstanding food and a great beach view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best restaurantshristohrDined on 9/11/2014Mama's Fush House is definitely one of the best restaurants in world. We've been to many countries and very nice restaurants but Mama's has some special vibe around. The amazing food combined with the magnificent ambiance simply makes it one of the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STILL THE BEST!!TammyDined on 9/11/2014A trip to Maui would not be complete without a meal at Mama's. There is no comparison to their food. I love how the daily menu is printed and gives you the name of the fishermen that caught the fish for the day!!Special Features:
- Best meal in MauiRobin13Dined on 9/11/2014Our dinner was amazing! Michael, our server, was friendly and helpful. The manager even brought me a lei for our anniversary. The view was gorgeous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like an excursionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014OK, so the title may need some explanation. I thought that this was such an awesome "event" that it felt like an excursion to a wonderful place. To be honest, the price is similar to taking a nice snorkel/boat trip. However, the price is higher because the quality, service, and location, can't be beat! The food was the best I've ever had! My wife and I both ordered the Mahamahi stuffed with lobster and crab, baked in a macadamia nut crust. Our friend had the macadamia nut crusted pork with shrimp skewers. She loved it as well.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerDenaDined on 9/10/2014We were in Maui for our 26th anniversary and made reservations a month in advance on recommendations from friends. The view and beach outside the restaurant are beautiful and the eclectic style of the restaurant was great. Our only complaint, we were seated at a table in the corner with a fan blowing right at the back of my husbands head, not super comfortable. I also would've expected a seat by the windows having made the reservation so far in advance. We also felt very rushed. We ordered a couple appetizers and really just wanted to take our time and enjoy our special night, we were asked at least 3 times, within 10 minutes, if we were ready to order. We were wished happy anniversary but no offer to take our picture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- phenomenalsevenfanVIPDined on 9/10/2014This place was recommended and is a Maui legend. What a great experience. Would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/10/2014Four people dining together like to have a bit of conversation. Found that almost impossible. Food was good. High end.Special Features:
- Always Wonderful!2forever1VIPDined on 9/10/2014Eating at Mama's Fish House is always a "must do" when visiting Maui. You are always well taken care of from the moment you arrive to the time you leave, but, be sure you have made a reservation or you will endure a long wait, if get in at all. The place is beautiful with a beautiful view of beach and ocean. The food is outstanding: always fresh, perfectly prepared, and nicely presented. The staff is wonderful: friendly, professional, and attentive. Dining at Mama's is always wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too much rush for the pricelocalfoodieDined on 9/9/2014local celebrating birthday ... been to Mamas more than a dozen times an very dissappointed w service. Within 15 minutes of sitting was told the kitchen closes at 9 and we should have orders in. All guests had not arrived yet and we were having casual drinks. At 5 star price... one shouldnt be rushed especially on special occasion of group of 5. The waitresses were obviouksy trained to shelf out silly false compliments as well. Get real. When leaving valet pulled car around an left w key in and took off w no one else around. I had not even told him it was my vehicle or had a chance to tip him when i waited a couple minutes. I will leave this place to tourists now and celebrate my birthdays at Merrimans. No aloha.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!MauinokaoiDined on 9/9/2014Hands down the best and most creative food you will ever eat. Never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GgigiDined on 9/9/2014I'm vegetarian and Gluten free. I expected this restaurant to be able to accommodate this with a wonderful meal especially with me giving them a 1 month heads up;however, the food was limited in variety and greasy...very disappointing...and yet still very expensiveSpecial Features:
- 30th Wedding Anniversary DinnerjdzabDined on 9/8/2014Was a highly recommended place to eat for special occasions by everyone we talked to at our resort (Honua Kai) and it it didn't disappoint. Was exactly as advertised! The service,food,ambiance etc was amazing. They made our anniversary special with a card on our table wishing us a happy anniversary signed by Mama herself and my wife received a beautiful flowered Lei! A definite must to dine at when on Maui! Don't forget to make reservations as they fill up quick. Thanks for an experience we will never forget Mamas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best Restuarant in MauiTimbo1Dined on 9/8/2014I only wanted to do one thing in Maui - eat at Mamma's. And once again I was not let down. The food is always great, the ambience surreal. Next time I am in Maui, Mamma's is the first port of call. FantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best food we had in MauiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014This was my far the best seafood we had while in MauiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversaty SpecialDixzDined on 9/7/2014We celebrated our anniversary at Mama's and it was wonderful. Made the reservation a month in advance so we could have a sunset dinner. They gave us a perfect table right at the window with a great view. It was perfect. Food delicious, service outstanding and awesome location. Expensive but worth it!!Special Features:
- Far too noisy!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/7/2014Our table of seven was seated directly by the loudest, noisiest, bar in the whole place! We couldn't carry on a conversation and I never heard what the waitress said as she never came to my side of the table. I ordered the avocado guacamole appetizer and it was too spicy for everyone. It was not eaten. Mexican restaurants don't make it that spicy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everyone knows Mommas for a reasonCharsmommyDined on 9/7/2014We came back to Mommas for our anniversary dinner and where not disappointed! The food was amazing and the setting was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most awesome restauranttammyDined on 9/7/2014We took a taxi to mamas from our cruise ship. It is not to be missed in Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Saddamoses21VIPDined on 9/7/2014My husband and I go to Maui every year and the first place we hit after we get off the plane is Mamas. It gets us into the Hawaiian mood and we are starving after the flight! But this year was really disappointing. We always share the macadamia crusted crab stuffed mahi mahi. Well the plate was ridiculous, basically embarrassing. For $52 bucks the fish was tiny there was hardly any crab, a tiny scoop of rice, 3 spears of asparagus and the tiniest corn on the cob you ever saw and it was hard and not sweet. So we frequent Roys, Merrimans, Lahaina Grill and spend the same amount of money and get twice as much food. I don't know if they think they can get away with it because of the view but unfortunately we will not be going back.Special Features:
- My faveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014My fav restaurant in Hawaii, maybe anywhere. Very consistent, very professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicepucksperlingDined on 9/6/2014Everything I ate was delicious. I went with a chef friend and he can difficult. We were very happy. Great staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and place to stay!TelenochekVIPDined on 9/6/2014We stayed at Mama's Fish House inn, and also had dinner at the restaurant. Everything was fantastic. The view is amazing and you can go snorkeling just a couple minutes away!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!mauifirstDined on 9/6/2014Our experience at Mama's Fish House was just amazing - great food, excellent, friendly and attentive service, attention paid to the special occasion, including great seating, wonderful ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing - a must visit on MauiBruinsfanDined on 9/5/2014I wasn't sure what to expect when we pulled up and the place looked pretty understated with an old boat parked out front, but when we walked around to the ocean side, it was amazing. Plan your reservation and arrive early so you can experience the sunset, take photos, and enjoy a drink in the bar before being seated. Be prepared to spend $100 pp, but know it will be the best fish you've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing evening at Mama'sdiningonthegoDined on 9/5/2014The food was amazing and the service can't be beat. This is a great place for a romantic evening or in our case a final family dinner on the island that really captures the romance of this beautiful island. Thank you Mama's we will be back in the future. Much love from Seattle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth every pennyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014We could have stayed there all day and kept eating and staring at the beautiful view. We loved everything about this place. The ceviche was to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go back, next time on MauiSeanDined on 9/4/2014The location is great. Decor is fantastic. Great place for a special occasion romantic dinner. Would highly recommend to othersSpecial Features: