Mama's Fish House
799 Poho Place
Paia, HI 96779Neighborhood:
HawaiianPrice: $50 and over
Mama's Fish House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/
- Phone: 8085798488x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Reservations from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Dinner Reservations Nightly: 4:00pm-9:00pm
Entire Menu served all day.
Bar/lounge seating for walk-ins, based on availability from 11:00 am to 9:30 pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Perry Bateman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Birthday, Anniversary, Honeymoon. Mama's Fish House is sure to be the perfect place for an intimate celebration. Contact us directly for details on booking for lunch or dinner.
A word from Mama's Fish House
Mama's Fish House is actually a converted beach house in a coconut grove on a secluded white sand beach. Inside, hinged windows open to let in the trade winds and Polynesian artifacts and original oil paintings decorate tropical hardwood walls. The rooms are filled with spectacular flower arrangements and tapa print cloths cover the tables. Outdoor dining is equally exciting, and everyone enjoys watching the windsurfers performing offshore.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Mama's Fish House - Best Restaurants in Paia ›
Mama's Fish House reviews from OpenTable diners
1029 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (903)special occasion (846)romantic (782)fit for foodies (635)great for outdoor dining (415)great for lunch (291)hot spot (273)neighborhood gem (242)good for groups (170)notable wine list (138)kid-friendly (107)great for brunch (66)vibrant bar scene (39)late-night find (26)Show More
- SpectacularSlackDined on 10/27/2014I would recommend Mama's to anyone. The service was wonderful, the food great, and the view was spectacular...Special Features:
- A MUST if you're in MauiOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/27/2014I always tell people that you can't leave Maui without eating here. It may be your most expensive meal on the island, but you must go there. We like to go for lunch. Get there an hour early and take advantage of the beach that is there. The scenery is amazing, the food is fantastic, the staff is very nice and knowledgeable. Make sure you have reservations! Dinner is probably more romantic, lunch is great though because you can really enjoy the views.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best fresh fishmlwarren1Dined on 10/26/2014This was absolutely the best and freshest fish I have ever eaten! It's sort of pricy, but totally worth it. Would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014This was a great way to end our Hawaiian vacation. Went to lunch prior to heading to the airport.. we will go back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/24/2014Mama's Fish House is a must for anyone visiting Maui. The food was fabulous, our table was oceanside and our waiter (Mike) couldn't be better!! We were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary with our friends who were also celebrating the same anniversary. They had pre-printed anniversary congratulations cards at our table. This was our best meal while on Maui!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGFoodlovers0425Dined on 10/24/2014From the food to the view and everything in between, Mama's is a special place. We were celebrating a birthday and were greeted with a personalized birthday sign when we arrived to our table. Our server, Jenny, was so knowledgeable about every dish and had great wine pairing suggestions to. If you are in Maui, Mama's is truly a must!Special Features:
- P-E-R-F-E-C-TGoofycDined on 10/24/2014Celebrated 26th anniversary having dinner at this incredible restaurant. Everything was amazing: food, service, ambiance, atmosphere and my family. You will spend $$$$ to eat here, but worth every penny. Our families traditional first meal stop on Maui. These people know how to prepare and serve food like no others and treat you like royalty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but...Luv2dineDined on 10/24/2014this is an excellent place for fresh fish. But, a little pricey.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014If you're in Maui. Make a reservation and go. Definately will go again. Try to go around 1 or 2 p.m. Not as crowded and you can see the beautiful beach view.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/24/2014The best meal on Maui, for sure! I had the lobster and crab stuffed mahi-mahi. We also had the ceviche and a coconut cocktail that was amazing. The watercress noodle starter was different and delicious. For dessert: Tahitian vanilla ice cream. I want to go back to just to eat here!!! The ocean-view is amazing as well and a spot for picture taking.Special Features:
- Totally recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014It's a must do in Maui. Best food!!! We loved it, super romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodIwasthereDined on 10/23/2014We enjoyed the food and the service. Reserve a couple of weeks early. We were last minute and couldn't be seated before 8:30 PMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Outstanding food. Excellent service. Too pricey for a routine visit but clearly a place in demand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cant wait till I returnBestfoodeverDined on 10/23/2014Mama's Fish House single handedly ruin Calamari and Mahi Mahi for all restaurants back home because it was that good! The Calamari Appetizer melted in your mouth. The Stuffed Mahi Mahi with Lobster and Crab tasted so fresh, I felt it was going to swim off my plate! I shall return! Mean while I will highly recommend this place. Oh the service ....amazing knowledge and not stop Smiles They made my honeymoon dinner re memorable Thanks for a great time Mama's Fish HouseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always top notchCarlDined on 10/23/2014We always go to Mama's when we come to Maui. Always order the Mahi Mahi stuffed with crab and lobster and always order the crab cakes appetizer. Add to that one of the salads and enjoy a window seat to take in the amazing view. Along with the excellent service and decor and you simply accept the high prices, as this is dining at its' best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorites on MauiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/23/2014I love the feel of this lovely restaurant. The setting is fabulous. Love the free valet parking, which takes away the headache of getting here and needing to find parking. We were seated promptly, and given a table with a partial view of the beach/ocean. What a lovely shaded beach. The server was very friendly, and she was very prompt. Our appetizers were lovely - everything seasoned perfectly, and very tasty. Our mains took a little while, but the server was very good at coming over and keeping us updated. When they arrived, they were fabulous. THIS is how fresh fish should taste. Amazing. Desserts were also very good (though a little sweet for my taste). We were celebrating a birthday, and received a little treat as well. FAB experience!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/23/2014Delicious! Go with an empty stomach. Make a reservation asking for a table with a view. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mamas fish house for lunchBelleairtomauiDined on 10/23/2014This restaurant defines Maui dining. It's island food served with big smiles and no rush. They are gracious from the moment they park your rental through the seating and onto the meal. Lunch dining tip, skip the cocktail which will slow down your afternoon, and opt for one of the deserts from paradise. Walk around the grounds with everyone else after lunch and soak it all in. It will keep you smiling when you are back home......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TwocatsDined on 10/22/2014A must for a special occasion when in Maui. Wonderful service from the greeter to the wait staff. A great menu and the service was impeccable. The pace of the service was perfect. Don't miss!Special Features:
- Wonderful place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014We ended up at Mama's Fish House because we had a $150 gift certificate for dinner. This kind of place would usually be out of our price range. Everything was wonderful about it, the food was so delicious, and the drinks were great, and the service was friendly. Our only complaint was that the service was very slow. We were seated and then abandoned for about 10 minutes before we even got drinks. Then after we got our meals we were ready to get "to go" boxes and a check and we felt abandoned again for quite a while. Otherwise this is a 5 star restaurant all the way! Maybe we just got a slow server, though. Other tables seemed to be getting more attention than we were...just our luck.Special Features:
- Don't miss an evening at Mana'sShirleygrlDined on 10/22/2014Everything was perfect. Beautiful atmosphere, excellent service, delicious cocktails and the food was one taste sensation after another! Love Mama's and we will keep going back. Worth the costSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MamaGardelsDined on 10/22/2014One of my top three ever!! Fantastic. Great service, spectacular view, amazing food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestKimiDined on 10/21/2014This is one of the best meals that I have had in my life. We came here for my 40th birthday, and it did not disappoint...perfect not too sweet mai tai, nice big pour of wine, outstanding calamari and mahi, fabulous service. It is perfection! Go here and avoid Humuhumu at all costs (pun intended.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousMeredithDined on 10/21/2014Gorgeous view, delicious drinks, the best food I have ever had! This was my first trip to Mamas and it did not disappoint. I have heard great things about this restaurant and none of them did it justice. Friendly hostess along with amazing waitress. The opakkapakka was to die for! My husband got the shortribs and loved them! Hats off to this restaurant they got it all Right !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!Mrose19Dined on 10/21/2014Fabulous as always...very pricey, but great for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodies ParadiseSharonDined on 10/21/2014We dine here every time we holiday on Maui and the quality of the food is always exceptional. Crab stuffed mahi mahi scrumptious and beautifully presented. This is our all time favorite dish. Crab cakes the best. Undoubtedly, Mama's makes the best Lava Flow on the island. Service unobtrusive. Great setting for a romantic dinner beside the ocean.Special Features:
- Must do in MauiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014We had a great experience. The restaurant has a ton of character. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- A Night at Mama's2onthetownDined on 10/20/2014While planning our latest trip to Maui I knew an evening had to be set aside for a visit to Mama's Fish House. Reservations were made through Open Table with a request for a table close to the sand (views are spectacular) as we would be celebrating anniversaries with another couple. From the moment we arrived we were treated like VIP's and led to the best table in the house. Wow! My wife and friends were thorough impressed believing I knew somebody to get this treatment. Starting with martini style margaritas and Maui Onion soup then onto the main course of Ono (caught that morning) and pig fried rice. The food was excel land and the service even better. Treat yourself to an evening at Mama's Fish House. You can thank me later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best lunch on MauiWineloverVIPDined on 10/20/2014This was our third trip to Mama's and is a must for anyone who is looking for the best in lunch venues. Service was great and food is always well presented as well as delicious. But the ocean side setting and views along with the Trade winds make for a memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thee View Says It AllYummyFoodDined on 10/19/2014This place is super pricey so you may want to check out their prices before you go so tou don't die of shock, but definitely worth it! The fish is so fresh and the restaurant is literally on the beach. You look outside to see sand and water. It's amazing!!! The food was delicious, drinks were great, and service was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in the USClevesteve7152Dined on 10/19/2014Had my 25th wedding anniversary dinner here. Everything was great except the checkin process. For a first-timer I wasn't aware where to go. You have to back back in and around the front. Then the two or three people working the checkin stands just stood there and didn't offer to help. I saw someone else step up to the podium and they checked him in. A little proactive service and it would have been perfect. Otherwise everything was great. The passion fruit creme brulee is the best dessert I've ever tasted. Marc Summers on The Best Thing I Ever Ate agrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open your walletOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Maui has many superb dining options, if you miss getting into mamas don't worry - you haven't missed the best! my only negative outside of price and feeling a little like I was just another donkey in the line to get in was our obnoxious waiter who in an effort to turn tables RECITED his flamboyant rendition of what Mamas was famous for and what he suggested we order as if we couldn't read or make our own decision. Then left us to recite same exact lines to every table around us. The famous drinks were 16$ each, the sashimi app (the best part of the meal!) was 26$ and our fish entrees were around 50$ each dessert was 16$. We don't mind spending money for an exceptional meal & service this was not the case at Mamas.Special Features:
- A MUST!ConfectionsByLizDined on 10/18/2014Start with the view and location - just stunning. Warm and welcoming when we arrived. The place is beautiful. The food amazing. Fresh, vibrant, bright - flavor with finesse. Everything enhances the flavor of the dish - not covering it up. The service was fabulous. Very knowledgeable not only about the food but also the wine list and food food pairiing. Attentive and engaging. An absolute must no matter where you are on the island!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Maui must-doMNDinerDined on 10/18/2014We had a mid afternoon meal before our flight and it was fantastic! I dont usually review but our entire experience at Mama's was excellent and we will remember it as a highlight of a great trip to Maui. The ambiance and the beach, the service, and especially the food was unmatched. I cant say enough to do justice to how much we enjoyed this meal. I have litterally nothing bad to say! Not cheap but hey, your in Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KebbaDined on 10/18/2014Mama's Fish House was a couple of hours of beauty and calm. We enjoyed our simple, laid back trip around Maui, but we'd pencilled in Mama's as a special treat. Loved the service, as well as the atmosphere & location. Oh, & the food was divine...!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!LibertyDined on 10/18/2014Everything from making the reservation, setting, service, and food were superb. We were there for lunch with a baby and they were extremely accommodating. Our little 10 months even got a grilled (no seasoning) mahi mahi that was caught no more than 12 hours ago. We had a great time!! Thank you!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014very poor service.. from server..and from parking attendant..Special Features:
- FantasticHungryVIPDined on 10/17/2014Everything was fantastic. First time here. This was recommended by my daughter who was here on her honeymoon 10 years ago. She said if you eat anywhere, It has to be at Mama's. Thea says something, 10 years later and still an excellent choice. All positives including some great classic coctail and super service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The food was amazing but the ceviche was the beyond!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool name, cooler spotDavesRavesDined on 10/17/2014Absolutely Epic seafood experience in evey way. The venue design is as amazing as the food - so original and so perfectly done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.