Mama's Fish House
799 Poho Place
Paia, HI 96779Neighborhood:
HawaiianPrice: $50 and over
Mama's Fish House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/
- Phone: 8085798488x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Reservations from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Dinner Reservations Nightly: 4:00pm-9:00pm
Entire Menu served all day.
Bar/lounge seating for walk-ins, based on availability from 11:00 am to 9:30 pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Perry Bateman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Birthday, Anniversary, Honeymoon. Mama's Fish House is sure to be the perfect place for an intimate celebration. Contact us directly for details on booking for lunch or dinner.
A word from Mama's Fish House
Mama's Fish House is actually a converted beach house in a coconut grove on a secluded white sand beach. Inside, hinged windows open to let in the trade winds and Polynesian artifacts and original oil paintings decorate tropical hardwood walls. The rooms are filled with spectacular flower arrangements and tapa print cloths cover the tables. Outdoor dining is equally exciting, and everyone enjoys watching the windsurfers performing offshore.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Mama's Fish House - Best Restaurants in Paia ›
Mama's Fish House reviews from OpenTable diners
1018 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (887)special occasion (832)romantic (773)fit for foodies (608)great for outdoor dining (405)great for lunch (282)hot spot (263)neighborhood gem (230)good for groups (167)notable wine list (133)kid-friendly (112)great for brunch (66)vibrant bar scene (36)late-night find (25)Show More
- A Night at Mama's2onthetownDined on 10/20/2014While planning our latest trip to Maui I knew an evening had to be set aside for a visit to Mama's Fish House. Reservations were made through Open Table with a request for a table close to the sand (views are spectacular) as we would be celebrating anniversaries with another couple. From the moment we arrived we were treated like VIP's and led to the best table in the house. Wow! My wife and friends were thorough impressed believing I knew somebody to get this treatment. Starting with martini style margaritas and Maui Onion soup then onto the main course of Ono (caught that morning) and pig fried rice. The food was excel land and the service even better. Treat yourself to an evening at Mama's Fish House. You can thank me later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thee View Says It AllOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2014This place is super pricey so you may want to check out their prices before you go so tou don't die of shock, but definitely worth it! The fish is so fresh and the restaurant is literally on the beach. You look outside to see sand and water. It's amazing!!! The food was delicious, drinks were great, and service was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in the USOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Had my 25th wedding anniversary dinner here. Everything was great except the checkin process. For a first-timer I wasn't aware where to go. You have to back back in and around the front. Then the two or three people working the checkin stands just stood there and didn't offer to help. I saw someone else step up to the podium and they checked him in. A little proactive service and it would have been perfect. Otherwise everything was great. The passion fruit creme brulee is the best dessert I've ever tasted. Marc Summers on The Best Thing I Ever Ate agrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Maui must-doOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014We had a mid afternoon meal before our flight and it was fantastic! I dont usually review but our entire experience at Mama's was excellent and we will remember it as a highlight of a great trip to Maui. The ambiance and the beach, the service, and especially the food was unmatched. I cant say enough to do justice to how much we enjoyed this meal. I have litterally nothing bad to say! Not cheap but hey, your in Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Mama's Fish House was a couple of hours of beauty and calm. We enjoyed our simple, laid back trip around Maui, but we'd pencilled in Mama's as a special treat. Loved the service, as well as the atmosphere & location. Oh, & the food was divine...!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!LibertyDined on 10/18/2014Everything from making the reservation, setting, service, and food were superb. We were there for lunch with a baby and they were extremely accommodating. Our little 10 months even got a grilled (no seasoning) mahi mahi that was caught no more than 12 hours ago. We had a great time!! Thank you!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014very poor service.. from server..and from parking attendant..Special Features:
- FantasticHungryVIPDined on 10/17/2014Everything was fantastic. First time here. This was recommended by my daughter who was here on her honeymoon 10 years ago. She said if you eat anywhere, It has to be at Mama's. Thea says something, 10 years later and still an excellent choice. All positives including some great classic coctail and super service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The food was amazing but the ceviche was the beyond!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool name, cooler spotDavesRavesDined on 10/17/2014Absolutely Epic seafood experience in evey way. The venue design is as amazing as the food - so original and so perfectly done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionFPepoonVIPDined on 10/17/2014We go to Mama's every time we are on Maui and we have never been disappointed. The views, the service, and especially the food are all spectacular. Get whatever is freshly caught and you can't go wrong. Dishes range from classic to unique and inventive, and the flavor profiles are always perfect. My husband loves the mahi-mahi stuffed with lobster and crab and coated in a macadamia nut crust. I always try to get the whole wok-fried fish, or whatever the local catch of the day is. We love the Black Pearl for dessert, and the sorbets are always a delicious and lighter way to end the meal. Drinks are delicious, but (as is usual on Maui) prices are confiscatory and will help you keep your resolution to drink less. Mama's, we love you.Special Features:
- Never disappointscswanVIPDined on 10/17/2014We come to Mamas every time we are on Maui, each year or so for many years. Mamas is always wonderful and never misses on quality of food and service. It is fabulous and delicious and we appreciate the commitment by the staff and management to keep it this way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Way to CelebrateTbone73Dined on 10/16/2014Perfect place for my wife and I to celebrate our 15 year anniversary. Would defiantly go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/16/2014The food is simply amazing - try the cerviche and stuffed macadamia nut Mahi for sure. Everything we had was GREAT! Definitely returning anytime we are in Maui.Special Features:
- High light of my Maui trip!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/16/2014Where should I begin, as I walk around the parking lot, a beautiful ocean front property stood in of my eyes. While I was waiting for my table, I visited the gorgeous beach across the way. Reception area is tastefully decorated. Fish are perfectly cook. Service are excellent. The reason I give a 4 star for food because the prawns are more like a mid-sides shrimps with head, also at 3:00pm, already ran out of Opah and Ono (fish). Wondering, what are they going to serve in the evening? All in all, an outstanding restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Fabulous!!!NCFoodie224Dined on 10/16/2014Mama's Fish House is a must visit if you are in Maui! The views alone are amazing and the food is absolutely wonderful! It's pricy, but totally worth it. Definitely make sure you make reservations a few days in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy for my TummyTommyDined on 10/16/2014We always make sure to eat at Mama's Fish House every time we visit Maui. The Service, Food, and atmosphere are always above our Expectation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mama'sOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/15/2014This restaurant served good food but was somewhat over priced and more of a tourist trap. It also seems to relegate only late dining times for Open Table (8:30 or later) as I looked at everyday for 10 days and the earliest time was 8:30Special Features:
- Great place for lunchJeanBDined on 10/15/2014This was a delightful experience. We went there for lunch, knowing that it is especially crowded for dinner. We made reservations online in the morning and requested a window seat, which they honored. We appreciated that the waiter was able to make recommendations, since we weren't familiar with many of the menu items. Walking around the beautiful grounds was an added pleasure.Special Features:
- skip this place not worth the $$notsatisfiedDined on 10/15/2014don't know what's the big hype about this place in maui. only went since so many people raved about it and i totally regretted. nothing special about it. it was very hot and humid in the restaurant. the service was slow not good when you are dining with little kids. food was nothing exceptional, it was good but didn't worth how much it costs. i could see how they stay in business for honeymoon couples, but for those thinking about going to maui for honeymoon, don't go. not a honeymoon destintion anyway. just save money and visit food trucks around maui for more authenic dining experience.Special Features:
- Great Experience!Honker138Dined on 10/14/2014My wife and I visited Maui on our honeymoon and this was the one place that multiple friends and family members said we had to visit, so our expectations were high. It lived up to the hype. Great service in the bar while we waited for our table, the bar tender gave us some great recommendations on the menu and the food and service were excellent. Definitely recommend this place. Absolutely incredible. I had the seared ono with kalua pig fried rice and it was to die for! We requested a table near the front of the restaurant to view the water and had a great view! Go to Mama's Fish House!Special Features:
- Must Try!EatsDined on 10/14/2014Best fish we have ever tried! Service was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ScenerynynjfoodieDined on 10/14/2014Mama's Fish house was certainly an experience. The open air restaurant is right on the beach and is absolutely beautiful. I do have to say that it was over hyped though. The food was certainly good but not to the point where I can't find that quality elsewhere as noted by numerous reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2014Great Food and Great Service and Great Ambiance. Complete dining experience on Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dining but slowKay52Dined on 10/14/2014Great dining but service was slow between all courses. It took :15 to clear dinner courseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2014Our experience was simply amazing that we went back a second time our last night in Maui. The food was phenomenal the service was outstanding best place in Lahaina!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great location, fantastic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014WHAT A GREAT PLACE. We didnt know what to expect since we booked through the website which in my opinion does not capture the outstanding location and the fantastic setting that it actually represents. when we arrived my husband had a greeting card waiting for him on the table as we celebrated his birthday. the Food was delicious. it was the best Food we had during our entire stay on maui. it was the most spectecular Restaurant in Terms of Food and ambiance as well as Service. The waitress was very Kind and attentive. the Service was quick yet discrete and not rushing (we had a late dinner at 8.30pm - one of the last guests) congratulations! you made his birthday very Special!Special Features:
- mauitimeDined on 10/13/2014reservations need to be made quite a ways out and we needed to come earlier than ours and they accomidated us in the lounge and took the stress out of it. the food was incredibule! we will see you next time!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine at Mama'sOliver1101Dined on 10/13/2014We outdid ourselves on this trip. We visited Mama's immediately after arriving in OGG from Kona. Just had a drink and an appetizer at the bar. A great way to begin our weekly stay on Maui. Then, the evening of our departure to Charlotte, we had a full dinner, then returned the rental, sat back for the 10 hour flight. It was a very pleasant flight after having a wonderful dinner at Mama's. We always used to visit once during each visit to Maui. Now it seems, we're hitting it twice!Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2014This was my 2nd visit to Mama's. Food is a work of art and tastes delicious.Special Features:
- Amazing setting, food & experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/12/2014Amazing setting, food & experience. Beachfront gem on the North shore of Maui. My favorite dish is the fresh fish in coconut milk & curry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigdogDined on 10/12/2014Just ask anyone who has ever made the a trip Maui, what is the best restaurant. Without a second thought, it's Mama's.Special Features:
- Best Meal EverOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/12/2014By far one of the best meals my husband and I have ever had. Everything was stellar and incredibly fresh. The wasabi crusted calamari was my favorite. And the crabbed stuffed mahi mahi was unbelievable. My husband ordered a special that came with this delicious coconut rice that we talked about for the remainder of our trip. We can't wait to go back. The meal was pricey but well worth it.Special Features:
- Go2mamasMrsGDined on 10/12/2014Go go go to Mamas the food is absolutely amazing, fresh caught fish daily. So many special touches from the moment you walk in. Must have a Maitai and dessert! Book your reservation for when you land and then before you get on the plane ;-) yes it's that wonderful! The little beach is beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!HawaiifoodieDined on 10/11/2014All I can say is everything was amazing! I want to go back and will recommend to everyone I know going to Maui! Make reservations far in advance and ask for beach view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable evening!DoglvrDined on 10/11/2014Just returned from Maui and was fortunate enough to score a reservation at this top Maui spot. I missed it 10 years ago when I was last on Maui, and made sure this time I didn't miss this experience. Friendly bartenders and fabulous waiters await you in this not-to-be-missed beautiful setting. Food is fabulous, although the restaurant was warm that evening. We were told it was a bit buggy due to the high humidity so the expansive windows were closed for most of our meal. No fan in the room, so it was warm. Other than that, wonderful dining experience! Can't wait to return some day!!!Special Features:
- Best restaurant on Mauish5345Dined on 10/11/2014We eat at Mama's at least once every time we go to Maui. Food, ambiance, and view were great as always. Service was a bit slow this time (waited almost 20 min after being seated before we were offered drinks and a menu). Once things got going everything was great. Definitely recommend this restaurant for those who enjoy really good food. Be aware that it is very pricey - even for Maui.Special Features:
- Romantic AnniversaryfishfoodDined on 10/10/2014Made our 39th Anniversay very special & romantic. Excellent meal, best fish we've ever had. Shawn, waiter, was superb! Top notch service by whole staff. Made us feel special. Thank you, Shawn and everyone at Mama's Fish House for a wonderful, romantic evening with GREAT food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeFoodandAtmosphereDined on 10/10/2014I live on Maui and Mama's Fish House is my FAVORITE place to dine. Expensive? YES Worth it? YES Just a fab atmosphere and everything on the menu is absolutely awesome. The sound of the waves, smell of the ocean mixed with great food simply can not be beat!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014Joel, our waiter, provided excellent service and helped make my b-day dinner a memorable one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.