Mama's Fish House
799 Poho Place
Paia, HI 96779Neighborhood:
HawaiianPrice: $50 and over
Mama's Fish House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/
- Phone: 8085798488x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Reservations from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Dinner Reservations Nightly: 4:00pm-9:00pm
Entire Menu served all day.
Bar/lounge seating for walk-ins, based on availability from 11:00 am to 9:30 pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Perry Bateman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Birthday, Anniversary, Honeymoon. Mama's Fish House is sure to be the perfect place for an intimate celebration. Contact us directly for details on booking for lunch or dinner.
A word from Mama's Fish House
Mama's Fish House is actually a converted beach house in a coconut grove on a secluded white sand beach. Inside, hinged windows open to let in the trade winds and Polynesian artifacts and original oil paintings decorate tropical hardwood walls. The rooms are filled with spectacular flower arrangements and tapa print cloths cover the tables. Outdoor dining is equally exciting, and everyone enjoys watching the windsurfers performing offshore.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Mama's Fish House - Best Restaurants in Paia ›
Mama's Fish House reviews from OpenTable diners
991 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (885)special occasion (799)romantic (756)fit for foodies (548)great for outdoor dining (390)great for lunch (262)hot spot (248)neighborhood gem (185)notable wine list (161)good for groups (139)kid-friendly (123)great for brunch (74)vibrant bar scene (41)late-night find (31)Show More
- Experience for the sensesCarolynDined on 8/31/2014AWESOME! Fish caught in the morning is what's on the menu. Absolutely the best I've eaten. Our waiter was knowledgeable and friendly. Drinks and desert delicious and creative! The atmosphere is perfection. Their flowers are grown and arranged by a local couple and are a visual treat. The whole experience doesn't disappoint. It's expensive but well worth it, perfect place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MamasJoeyV328Dined on 8/30/2014Great food and view of the ocean. Fast checkin and very knowledgable staff membersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SD2MAUIOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014This is the most fabulous restaurant! Everything about our dining experience was top-knotch! The meal was spectular and the service and ambiance can't be beat. It's a bit pricey but WELL worth it! This was our second visit to Mama's while visiting Maui and we'll definitely return!! Don't miss the opportunity. You won't be sorry!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mama's on Maui-Our Go ToMia1Dined on 8/29/2014If you know you'll be on Maui, make sure you to make reservations at Mama's Fish House for lunch or dinner. It's iconic, and as important a Maui experience as whale watching and snorkeling. The menu changes all the time and we've never had the same fabulous meal twice. The variety of fish on the menu are always fresh, and often caught the same day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food on Maui !!!NovaletVIPDined on 8/29/2014This is by far the best place to eat on Maui. The Mai Tai's may be expensive but they are the best, most authentic on the Island. I love all there fish entrees from their specialty, the crab stuffed mahi mahi to the Opah to the panang curry, you can't go wrong. I always like to finish with their delicious banana macadamia nut crisp. It may be expensive, but the view, the ambiance, and the food make it well worth it. Also, don't forget to consider staying at their Inn. I love to stay here on my first night after my mainland flight.Special Features:
- Food was okOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014My husband ordered the prawns and they were dry. I ordered the Hawaiian plate and was disappointed with the octopus. Fish was ok but was also dry. The mahi rolls were good. From what I hear we should have ordered the stuff Mahi mahi.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Best dining experience of our entire two week trip to Maui! Great views unbelivable fresh fish! Great cocktails and excellent Chalk Hill Chardonnay! Can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh Mama!table4ptDined on 8/29/2014When my wife said we were driving for 45 minutes to get lunch I thought there must be a Louis Vuitton near the restaurant. Wrong, just the best food experience in Maui so far. What a setting. Wander around a bit before or after, it's worth it. We were seated right on time. A beautiful table in the window overlooking the ocean. The food is all locally grown and fresh as the proverbial daisy. Mama employs 150 people but also supports the local fishing community and the small boutique farms that dot the area. I could go on and on about the excellent wait staff and the creative menu items but I'm just wasting your time. Grab your device and make a reservation at Mama's. You will not be disappointed. P.S. Bring your wallet.Special Features:
- WonderfulGigem2014Dined on 8/28/2014Great experience. There just wasn't a great food selection so we didn't know what to get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd time at MaMa's Fish Housedth80VIPDined on 8/28/2014It's our 3rd trip to Maui and 3rd visit to MaMa's Fish House. The service, views and good were all amazing! The grilled papaya with tenderloin is my all time favorite appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mama knows best!walrusdinesDined on 8/28/2014The food and service were excellent. We loved the menu which stated which local fisherman was responsible for the catch you were enjoying on your plate. My wife ordered the cold cucumber soup, which turned out to be very spicy. The server noticed that she had only partially eaten the soup and had it taken off the bill; which pleasantly surprised us. Everyone raves about sunset dinners there, but we had lunch and it was very nice to be able to enjoy the classic Hawaiian scenery of palm trees with beautiful ocean in the distance. It was an expensive lunch, but well worth it. The servers all wore vintage Aloha wear which added to the ambiance. My wife had worked at Liberty House in the late 60's and recognized some of the bright prints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Hawaiian experience!!yvonneDined on 8/28/2014We loved view, ambience, food!! Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our anniversaryCollinVIPDined on 8/27/2014We have been to Mama's many times. As always an excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food & BeautifulNotATourist2010VIPDined on 8/27/2014The best fish ever. The restaurant is expensive however the meals are memorable. Went for lunch vs dinner to enjoy the beautiful ocean view....restaurant has no windows. Good Mai Tai, careful they are strong :-). We had Mongchong this year with local mushrooms; it was amazing...portions are a good size. I was full after a shared appetizer of shrimp wonton and a salad, but finished the fish as it was wonderful. No salad or appetizer next time! We also sampled a small side of wild boar...very good. My husband ordered the creme brûlée - excellent, pressed coffee very. Wait staff friendly, knowledgeable and attentive.Special Features:
- Every item on menu is worth tryingAlltimeMauiDined on 8/26/2014The food is outstanding. The flavors and the way is cook and put together is uncomparable to anithing i have tried. Well worth to risk on any new plateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014This place is awesome anyone should at least sine her once!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food Ever!!firstlove76Dined on 8/26/2014My Husband and I absolutely love Mama's!! The food is amazing, the service is fabulous, and the views are incredible!! One of our favorites is the lobster guacamole, and the fish stuffed with crab and lobster!! They tend to you and treat you like family!! We make a point of visiting Mama's every time we come to Maui!! Five stars!! :))Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding doesn't quite do it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Our first visit to Maui. Several friends said to "not miss" the opportunity to eat at Mama's Fish House. My wife and I were seated at a table with a million dollar view. The service was impeccable and the food.....outstanding! What a wonderful evening. This is a definant "do over" on our next visit to Maui. All thumbs (and toes) up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014We chose to go to Mama's Fish House on our last evening in Maui as suggested by a successful restaurant owner back home. We were running late due to an accident on highway and staff were quite empathetic with this. All staff were knowledgeable, pleasant and excited to answer any questions we had. We even learned about the local yellow and blue parrot, 'Coco' flying around the property. Our meal began at 6:00PM and the view of the the ocean at sunset through our window seat was quite peaceful! What a wonderful way to wrap up our first hawaiian vacation!!! Mahalo!Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014One of the most romantic places I have been. It had breathtaking views. Will remember this birthday for a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful mealalf13Dined on 8/26/2014this seaside restaurant is pricey but well worth what it costs. we had wonderful wait staff and the food was superb. Not many places where you would be sitting right off the beach with such a wonderful view.Special Features:
- Love this placeCharlesDined on 8/26/2014After getting off the plane and getting our car, out first stop is either Costco or Mama's. Since we are alone on this trip our first stop was Mama's. Always great scenery and outstanding food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful fresh fishilovegoodfoodDined on 8/25/2014Totally enjoyed our experience! Delish food great waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Way to Cap a Stay on Maui!BillBVIPDined on 8/25/2014We saved Mama's for our final night on Maui. What a perfect way to celebrate a great stay. Our server Tanani was excellent! Very pleasant and attentive. We never felt rushed which can sometimes be the case at a place as popular as Mama's. All the fish is caught daily by local fishermen -- unique to see the fisherman's name printed next to the fish selection on the menu. The fish was prepared perfectly! I tried their "number 1 seller," Fish Stuffed with Lobster and Crab. Excellent! Be prepared for a $50 entree per person. Given the quality of the food, the level of service and the location (great view), Mama's is a nice treat to round-out your stay on Maui.Special Features:
- excellent but priceymariVIPDined on 8/25/2014We enjoyed our meal immensly. The fish we order was fresh and deliciously prepared. The wait staff is knowlegeable, helpful and attentive. As it was our anniversary dinner, I was presented with a fresh flower Lei--that was amazingly fragrant. The restaurant is set near the beach, and definitly worth coming early to watch the sunset. Our only complaint was the very large bill at the end! I was warned about it and we came any way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must if you visit Maui!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/25/2014Mama's has everything you could ask for in a restaurant in Maui! The atmosphere is heavenly, the service is great and the food is the best on the island! The names of some of the fisherman that caught the fish that day are on the menu. It is a bit pricey but worth every penny! It is our first stop from the airport when visiting Maui<3Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!Kezza55Dined on 8/25/2014This was my 2nd visit from Oz to this beautiful setting for an amazing view and delicious meal! Macadamia crusted Mahi Mahi signature dish is a must! Fabulous service from the parking valet to the hostess as you leave!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014I would recommend this restaurant to anyone! The food was fabulous, ambiance was perfect, and wait staff pleasurable and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014Do not pass up the opportunity to experience this restaurant Our server was amazing and she made the food and location even better. Great place to eat and best view in Hawaii!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome placeadventuredinerDined on 8/24/2014The restaurant is simply wonderful, food was beautifully represented and tasted superb. Unbelievable views and décor. Will recommend it to anyone but personally, I can't afford to return often. It's only a place I can splurge once in a blue moon...sigh.Special Features:
- Worth the splurgeFoodieyoDined on 8/23/2014I had heard this was a great restaurant. After reading some other reviews I was skeptical if it was worth the price. After taking the first bite of my main course I would say absolutely worth every penny. I have had some great meals but the overall flavor and seasoning was superb. I had the snapper special and my wife had the Mahimahi stuffed with lobster and crab, baked in a macadamia nut crust. The later is one of their most popular dishes.Special Features:
- First stop in Maui and best stopOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014First real meal on Maui and after that hard to beat anywhere. Excellent food, service and view. The fish was moist and delicious.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant on MauifredsterDined on 8/23/2014This really is the best restaurant on Maui. One of the best meals we've ever had.Special Features:
- QueenhonebeequeenhonebeeDined on 8/23/2014Mama's is always great! We wouldn't visit Maui without eating there! The food is always excellent as well as the service and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honeymoon dinnerkofbattleDined on 8/22/2014My wife and I came here for our special honeymoon dinner. When I reserved on open table I wrote that it was for our honeymoon. They set us up with a nice table with a great view of the ocean. They also had a nice note on the table for us and brought us a lei for my wife. The server was very knowledgeable and the food was fantastic. When I called back the next day, the gentleman on the phone remembered us and got us another reservation quick. This will definitely be one of the spots we come back to whenever we are back in Maui.Special Features:
- Favorite SpotCnlfoodieDined on 8/22/2014We love to go to Mama's for lunch when we fly into Maui. We go straight from the airport and start off our trip with great food and cocktails. The ambiance and view are second to none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic first Maui mealChicanoechickDined on 8/22/2014From the moment we arrived at Mamas we knew this was going to be a great experience. Nevermind the stunning seaside view but the seafood - wow. We orders a few different dishes but the trio sashimi was our favourite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mama's Fish HouseCeahymDined on 8/21/2014Everything was perfect. We booked a few months in advance. Our table had an awesome ocean view, and we arrived early enough to order limited quantity items on the menu (whole fish). Every detail of the food, service and and ambience were among the best I have ever experienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just lovely.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Fantastic location and great service is always a winning combination and Mamas has both in abundance. Food was very good but obviously couldn't try everything! If you deserve a treat ( or even if you don't ) book a table by the open windows and indulge yourselves. If only this was a regular way to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Mama's is our favorite restaurant when we go to Maui. The service, location and food is all 5 star. Yes, it may be pricey but it is worth every penny! This is a must-do on your list when visiting the island!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.