Mama's Fish House
799 Poho Place
Paia, HI 96779Neighborhood:
HawaiianPrice: $50 and over
Mama's Fish House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/
- Phone: (808) 579-8488
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Reservations from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Dinner Reservations Nightly: 4:00pm-9:00pm
Entire Menu served all day.
Bar/lounge seating for walk-ins, based on availability from 11:00 am to 9:30 pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Perry Bateman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Birthday, Anniversary, Honeymoon. Mama's Fish House is sure to be the perfect place for an intimate celebration. Contact us directly for details on booking for lunch or dinner.
A word from Mama's Fish House
Mama's Fish House is actually a converted beach house in a coconut grove on a secluded white sand beach. Inside, hinged windows open to let in the trade winds and Polynesian artifacts and original oil paintings decorate tropical hardwood walls. The rooms are filled with spectacular flower arrangements and tapa print cloths cover the tables. Outdoor dining is equally exciting, and everyone enjoys watching the windsurfers performing offshore.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Mama's Fish House - Best Restaurants in Paia ›
Mama's Fish House reviews from OpenTable diners
1042 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (904)special occasion (853)romantic (785)fit for foodies (665)great for outdoor dining (425)great for lunch (310)hot spot (276)neighborhood gem (259)good for groups (181)notable wine list (148)kid-friendly (96)great for brunch (74)vibrant bar scene (40)late-night find (28)Show More
- Mama's is a MUST when on Maui.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/18/2014I can't say enough of how special this restaurant is. Not only do they serve the freshest and most artfully prepared food on the island, but they truly serve up the "Aloha Spirit" I want to thank our server, Wyonette for lovely and attentive service, but also the manager Jake, who with Wyonette, let us know how important it was that Mama's honored the passing of my sister, who was supposed to be there with us. The Hawaiian people are so, so Special. I will never forget that lovely evening. Mahalo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014I love the relaxed feel of this place – like a comfortable dining room in a friends home. I definitely would return to try more dishes. The Food was amazing. Service was well-timed and friendly, wines were affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite restaurant in the world.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/17/2014Everything about every visit to Mama's is spectacular. Food, service and ambience is second to none. Tried Ehu this week and it was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great everything, Food, drinks, view and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/17/2014I would recommend Mama's fish house to everyone. In one word it's Great. It starts with a great server and is followed by great drinks, wine, appetizer, main course and desert. They are particularly helpful if you have an allergy like me for shell fish. Our waiter was very helpful in making my selection. A great dinning experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 24th aniversary dinerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014I called Mama's at the last minute before we were leaving for our 4:30 reservation. I told them we were celabrating our 24th aniversary and would like a nice table near the ocean. We arrived 45 minutes later and were given a great table. The atmosphere and service was outstanding. We will be back for our 25th aniversary next Nov.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Content at Mama's in Haiku.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2014Because Our meal and dining experience was such a hit and so very nice we want to go back to Mama's! We feel we won't "miss" at any other spot on the This side of the island. Content in Haiku.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful lunch!Hammer1Dined on 11/16/2014Had a lovely Sunday lunch at Mama's. The food and drinks were divine. Try the lobster guacamole, you won't regret it. It's a very expensive restaurant so be prepared for that. We were a bit surprised by the cost of the main dishes (primarily fish) considering you are right on the ocean and fish would be easier to source compared to other places. But the entire experience is worth the cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/14/2014We loved the food and all the hosts however the entire meal took over an hour and a half. Food was worth the wait but we were exhausted by dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!GigiDined on 11/14/2014Wonderful place to dine with outstanding ocean views, I would recommend this place to anyone who visits Maui. It was probably our best meal and service of our holiday. If you can't afford to have dinner at least go for a drink at the bar and enjoy the view, it's also a great place to take family photos by the ocean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner al dayMLDVVIPDined on 11/14/2014Outstanding except for two things: 1 There is no lunch menu, only the full dinner menu at lunchtime 2 Some of the prices are outrageous! $50 for a MahiMahi sandwich on focaccia! However the food, ambiance and service are excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celibration and all was great.kulamikeDined on 11/13/2014Just let them know you are there for special occasion and they will make note and make that visit even more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mamas mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/13/2014First off you can't beat the atmosphere. Right on the North Shore, big waves, sunset, and setting is the best. Food was decent but not worth the price. The real odd thing was the server. She would come and go mid sentence. You couldn't really get her to pay attention to you more than 15 seconds or more. We had heard that the service was sometimes questionable and that lived up to its name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth every pennyWildBillKDined on 11/13/2014Even on a rainy day the freshest day's catch cannot be prepared any better. This visit snapper encrusted in Macadamia nuts. Waves breaking in front, surfers in the distance and excellent service. Thank-you (again) Mama and Joni for the recommendation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this place.ODACEODined on 11/12/2014We love this place. It was my wife and I Anniversary and they treated us so well. Service was amazing, food was amazing and for the views. UNREAL.. So Beautiful. Thanks for making our day so special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DRamonDined on 11/12/2014We were celebrating a special anniversary and Mama's reserved the table we requested along with a lovely greeting card acknowledging our special occasion. The manager brought a lovely and fragrant lei to wrap up our dining experience. The lobster guacamole was delicious as well as the Ahi Cevichi appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Place to celebrate a 60th Birthday!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014My birthday lunch choice was one of Mama's signature dishes, Mahi Mahi stuffed with crab and lobster. Excellent choice! Crisp exterior, moist and tasty stuffing. My partner ordered the Panang Curry which was superb. The decor and atmosphere were great and our server Elle, the best. We enjoyed it so much we went back the following week for another lunch. Excellent again! I would highly recommend Mama's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent venue for island ambienceJeanMW12Dined on 11/12/2014A little to pricey and seasoning on the mixed potatoe fries heavy handed but overall very good. Did not like getting charged for iced tea refills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolute must tryLuvgoodfoodDined on 11/11/2014Arguably the best food we have ever had. From appetizers to dessert you will be amazed with the amazing taste of the food. Then between courses you look around and are struck in awe by the layout of the restaurant. Everywhere you look are articles from the sea, Hawaii and fishing. If you are going to splurge on only one meal while on Maui make it Mommas Fish House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best on the islandEdMartinDined on 11/11/2014I cannot say anything more then the next person. Mama's is a special treat. The only negative is the expensive but you know that going in. Everything we had was prepared to perfection. That is from the valet taking your car, to checking in, to the greeting by the waitstaff, to your meal, and on. Mama's borders on perfection. P.S.-What I rated the noise level is not true. You can carry on a conversation easily. I couldn't get the rating system to work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Honeymooners!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014The experience at Mama's is one that is not to be missed if you are on your honeymoon in Maui. The view is one that your wife or husband will love. Be sure to let the restaurant know that you are on your honeymoon when making reservations and they will seat you at the best viewing tables. It is a higher end restaurant so bring your credit card, but remember everything in Maui is more expensive, so don't let that stop you. It's all about the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mahalo Mama's for a wonderful meal.Likes2notcookDined on 11/11/2014Once again we had our annual visit to Mama's Fish House. It was excellent! This time I tried something new, the curry fish. The sauce was exquisite. It comes with 3 different types of fish. Nice to try a variety. Try it, you'll really enjoy it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary lunch to be rememberedPlatinumfoodieDined on 11/11/2014Based on strong recommendations from friends, we scheduled a special lunch for Mama's on our way from Wailea to Hana to recreate our 30-years-ago honeymoon. Mama's exceeded our expectations on every level. We were greeted with Happy Anniversary by each of the staff who helped us. Our comfy booth faced the ocean on the big-surf north coast, and the entire ambiance felt like the best of Hawaii. We shared a seasonal salad with fresh greens and persimmon, and it was a perfect start. Our two entrees were excellent and distinctive: Ono from the wild fish menu was extraordinary, as was its accompaniment of kalua pig fried rice; and the Traditional Hawaiian was great for my husband with its combination of Hawaiian flavors. Because we still had the challenging drive to Hana ahead of us, we went light on the cocktails, but my Mai Tai was the best I've had and my husband enjoyed a few sips as well. For dessert the Tahitian Pearl was as yummy tasting as it was spectacular in presentation. The little town of Paia also looks like it would be worth a look around. Next time we'd love to stay over at the Mama's Inn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to impress!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/10/2014Momma's Fish House was awesome as ever. It never fails to impress. My wife had her 50th Birthday there and our servers went out of their way to make it memorable. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWpattischDined on 11/10/2014A stunning ocean view, fantastic food, excellent service — this famous spot has it all. The restaurant itself is gorgeous, and the ambiance is so well done, you'll feel you're in the tropical paradise of your dreams.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbeatable.FzedlachDined on 11/9/2014Put simply, this restaurant is in a category of its own. The views are simply out-of-this-world. The service is perfect. Hot towels, coconut, and soup samples are a great addition. The fish is so fresh and so tasty. The drinks are great, and the dessert and coffee are wonderful, too. Don't miss this restaurant when on Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic! Unbelievable views!BronzedragonDined on 11/9/2014Waiter was very good, serenaded the birthday girl, great recommendations. Food was delicious. Views fantastic. Pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic setting!wjbnapaDined on 11/9/2014What a view! The fresh fish couldn't be fresher unless we were ON the boat! Wonderful spot to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, reunions, etc. Service is 5-star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special spotalohaVIPDined on 11/9/2014it is our most favorite restaurant on Maui.and the food the best.The wait staff always attentive to us.Jackie and Kiera the managers go out of their way to make us happy. Our walt person that day was Shane who also went out of his way for us that day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at mamas32canadaDined on 11/9/2014Me and my friend ate at mamas fish house at lunch after hearing great reviews online and recommendations from friends... Food are fantastic, excellent menu choices... Food tasted great, me and my friend loved it...everything is fantastic. It was a great experience,Special Features:
- Our 18th AnniversaryPorshe4everDined on 11/8/2014Truly amazing night!! Superb service!! Great food!! Awesome service!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- engagement venueGRomanticDined on 11/8/2014i explained that I wanted to propose and the staff made it perfect! They integrated the engagement ring into their signature dessert and it was fantastic addition to my proposal!Special Features:
- One of the very bestAlohafanVIPDined on 11/8/2014INCREDIBLE restaurant. It's like living in a Polynesian dream. The food was fantastic. The setting was amazing and the service warm and sincere. It's worth the drive!Special Features:
- ReturneePam4HomesDined on 11/8/2014We have been to Mama's several times and have never been disappointed. We recommend it to all our friends.Special Features:
- A Must Go To PlaceReenie92Dined on 11/8/2014The setting is exquisite. Hostess and servers were very friendly and helpful in making our selections. The adult beverages were yummy. The meals were nicely presented. They were delicious. So glad we had the opportunity to visit Mama's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you MamaMartymazVIPDined on 11/8/2014I live near San Francisco and I am a self proclaimed restaurant snob. Mama's is my new favorite restaurant and I would not come to this Island again and miss it. It's expensive and is a bargain for what you get. Thank you MamaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still love Mama's!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/7/2014This is our second visit to Maui, and our second visit to Mamas. It has become a staple in Maui and for good reason. The restaurant itself has a great history with all of the hawaiin decor, the old newspaper articles about the Island, and the story of the couple who opened the restaurant. It makes for a great experience and the food matches it. The go to lobster stuffed Mahi was outstanding, and we also tried something new with the panko ginger crusted ono...might be my new favorite. A great place to celebrate something special.Special Features:
- Last night, best mealalanf45Dined on 11/7/2014We always save our last night in Maui for Mama's Fish House because if you don't, every other meal will be somewhat of a disappointment.Special Features:
- Great meal!NotAgainVIPDined on 11/7/2014Been to Maui several times, first time eating at Mama's. Aside from the veteran waiter who felt like he wanted to be elsewhere, everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/7/2014The meal was great, and really worth splurging for a special occasion. The beach was a great place to wait for a table (if you have to wait).Special Features:
- celebrating 40OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014The service was great and the food was excellent, but the really special thing was we had a perfect view of the ocean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.