Mama's Fish House
799 Poho Place
Paia, HI 96779Neighborhood:
HawaiianPrice: $50 and over
Mama's Fish House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/
- Phone: 8085798488x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Reservations from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Dinner Reservations Nightly: 4:00pm-9:00pm
Entire Menu served all day.
Bar/lounge seating for walk-ins, based on availability from 11:00 am to 9:30 pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Perry Bateman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Birthday, Anniversary, Honeymoon. Mama's Fish House is sure to be the perfect place for an intimate celebration. Contact us directly for details on booking for lunch or dinner.
A word from Mama's Fish House
Mama's Fish House is actually a converted beach house in a coconut grove on a secluded white sand beach. Inside, hinged windows open to let in the trade winds and Polynesian artifacts and original oil paintings decorate tropical hardwood walls. The rooms are filled with spectacular flower arrangements and tapa print cloths cover the tables. Outdoor dining is equally exciting, and everyone enjoys watching the windsurfers performing offshore.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Mama's Fish House - Best Restaurants in Paia ›
Mama's Fish House reviews from OpenTable diners
998 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (879)special occasion (811)romantic (764)fit for foodies (583)great for outdoor dining (406)great for lunch (282)hot spot (250)neighborhood gem (202)good for groups (156)notable wine list (142)kid-friendly (121)great for brunch (78)vibrant bar scene (43)late-night find (27)Show More
- New experienceMouseDined on 9/29/2014Everyone told us to go to Mama's & every year we planned to but didn't. This year we made a point to make reservations and go. The setting is beautiful as is all of Hawaii and the food incredible. Definitely make reservatios and bring LOTS of money. The most expensive lunch I have ever had!Special Features:
- Perfect food and locationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Expensive but you certainly pay for what you get. The waitress we had wasn't very attentive to our requirements as my wife has a. It allergy and she just refused dishes that she could have rather than asking the chef. She spent a lot of time socialising with a friend on a table next to us. Blonde ladySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant on MauiRobertDined on 9/28/2014The food and ambiance are fabulous. I had the short ribs and they melted in my mouth. The view is spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Johnkn1Dined on 9/27/2014We came here on our honeymoon and it was by far the highlight of our trip to the island! The food was fantastic and worth the trip from wailea. Great service and the best dinner we've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the splurgeLoriDined on 9/27/2014Definitely the freshest fish I have ever had. Started with the crab cakes, which I usually avoid because they are hit or miss. Mama's were a HIT! Best ones I have had yet. Their signature dish, crab stuffed mahimahi was wonderful! My husband is not a big fish guy & he even raved how delicious it was. He had the short ribs & they were perfect. I would recommend Mama's for sure. Its a bit pricey so if you are on a budget make this your one big splurge for the trip. (most dishes are 38-52)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anne from AZOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014This was my second trip to Mama's and it did not disappoint. There were 6 of us for lunch and we had a round table with an ocean view. Our server was excellent and timely. The only down side is the cost. We all had drinks, shared appetizers and lunch and the cost was >$100/pp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did it againSkillsDined on 9/27/2014Mamas is my favorite restaurant I've ever been to. Excellent food great service. Bring your wallet although it's not cheap it's worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best Maui has to offerLindamademeDined on 9/26/2014Old school Hawaii with the perfect ambiance, great drinks, exceptional service, and yummy, yummy food. Those TV chefs in south Maui could learn a thing to two from Mama!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS GREAT....WONDERFULDined on 9/26/2014So enjoy dining here every time we come. This was second time this week. Today we brought a guest with us.Special Features:
- Maui GemAlanDined on 9/26/2014I've visited Maui many times but did not know about this restaurant until recently. The food is really great. The wait staff always wanting to please. We will be back.Special Features:
- Awesome placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014Really enjoyed our visit to Mama's Fish House, my first time there with my folks. Had the best Panang fish curry. It was worth the drive, the $$ (and yes, it's expensive), and the time. Enjoyed getting there early to watch the surfers, kite surfers, and wind surfers off the point and also in front of the restaurant. Get there early around 11 or 11:15 and make reservations on OpenTable making request for window table. The grounds and ambience are simply wonderful --fresh flowers, setting, and furniture even :) Will be back again when I'm back on Maui!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Another outstanding experience at Mama's Fish House!Special Features:
- Lived up to the hypeJustmauiedDined on 9/25/2014My wife and I were on our honeymoon and staying in lahaina. A little bit of a drive (50 mins) but we had to try it with all of recommendations we had received. It lived up to the hype! Great view, out of this world mahi mahi. In hindsight I wish we would have just come here from airport when we landed as opposed to driving across the island. It would have been a picturesque, amazing way to be welcomed to Maui! Either way it was a meal we will never forgetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible ExperienceLocaliteDined on 9/25/2014Outstanding food with creative preparations. Lovely atmosphere, especially for special occasions. We were there on a busy evening, and the service was very prompt and courteous. Decor was comfortable and casual with the most beautiful flower arrangements I've ever seen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodloverOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014My husband and I were really looking forward to our dinner at Mama's. We loved the location, the small cove was beautiful with the waves crashing in. The food, however, was less satisfying. We shared the Ceviche and it was very good but... our main courses were small and the flavors were just so so. I would recommend the restaurant for the ambiance but the food was lackluster and expensive.
- Amazing!MauiMonaDined on 9/25/2014We have resisted going here for years making the assumption this was for tourists only. What an amazing surprise. They made sure our anniversary was one to remember, thank you so much! Our waiter Micah was also perfect and so kind. Thank you again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great romantic Hawaiian RestaurantKnSluvHawaiiDined on 9/25/2014About a 45- 1 hr. drive from Kaanapali, but worth it. If your looking for the perfect romantic Hawaiian restaurant, this is it. Book early, maybe before you leave for your trip on Open Table. We wanted a sunset time, (6:30p), but the only time close to that for the week we were going to be there was 7p. So we decided to make a day of it and do lunch, for a 11:30a time. We arrived at 11:15 and they seated us right away, (good time to beat the lunch crowd). Front table, great location. It was a beautiful day and we both agreed that had we come at night we would have missed how beautiful the property really was. The food and service was first class, and the crusted mahi mahi stuffed with lobster and crab was unbelievable.Special Features:
- Amazing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014This is truly a special place and my wife and I would go back in a heartbeat. Everything about this restaurant can be described as "quality." All of the employees are friendly and professional, the location and surroundings are beautiful, and the food is unmatched. You can really tell that the staff love what they do and it makes for a great experience. It was worth every penny and as funny as it sounds, I have never felt so good about paying the bill at the end of the evening.Special Features:
- The bestOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/24/2014Our#1 restaurant in the USA - the fish is outstanding and the service is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the bestCCFoodLoversDined on 9/24/2014A standard on Maui not to be missed. Do make reservations because if not the wait is long. Several dining rooms each with a different vibe. Asked for a view of the water and got it. Had a 445 PM reservation and finished at 645 PM. There is a nice small beach in front that is your view- doesn't face west, but sky turns pink at sunset. Eli was our waiter and was hilarious and knew the menu thoroughly. Ordered two appetizers and one entrée for two people and it worked out just right. The highlight was the Beef Polynesian appetizer. This was one of the five best meals in our lifetime. Very pricey but very worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow....Great food and sceneryRoseDined on 9/23/2014We went there expecting to have a light lunch...so we could say we had ate at Mama's Fish House. We ended up sharing twin tails loberts with soup, salad and a wonderful glass of wine. It was not cheap but well worth the money if you are looking for a special meal and special memories.Special Features:
- Simply outstandingGonzoVIPDined on 9/22/2014This place continues to shine, as we've been coming here on our Maui visits for 12 years. The service was top notch all the way around, from our waiter to the host that greeted us on arrival. Great idea to present a ticket to the guests to allow them to automatically transfer the bar tab to the dinner tab should you arrive early, as we did, and have a cocktail. The food was to die for...we had fresh sushi grade appetizer of ahi, followed by the best fresh fish preparation on the island. The dessert was enjoyed as well, though the least of our favorites (had the chiffon cake). I gave the entire evening a 9.5 out of 10 (I just don't give out 10's), and my wife gave it a 9. While expensive, worth every penny.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/22/2014Wonderful experience. Atmosphere and food were great. One of the highlights of our Hawaii holiday.Special Features:
- MemorableKeepitrealmomDined on 9/22/2014An amazing dinner! Beautiful restaurant overlooking the ocean, wonderful ambiance and tremendous fresh food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingSophiaDined on 9/22/2014One of my favorite things that we did in Maui! The crab I had was one of the best dishes I have ever had. My husband does not like fish so he had steak and it was delicious also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most Beautiful Viewfishlover73Dined on 9/22/2014I am so glad that we went to Mama's Fish House for our birthday lunches. It has the most beautiful view on Maui. The ambiance was outstanding as was our food and drinks. Our waiter, Brad's, recommendations were just right for us. We had the Mahi-Mahi, Macadamia Nut crusted crab cakes and Ehu, pink snapper with mushrooms and Maui onions over lemongrass rice. It is the place to go for anyone visiting Maui. It was close to the airport, so we went while waiting for our plane.Special Features:
- J & LJonlinDined on 9/22/2014Our favorite restaurant on Maui! Always consistently excellent. The ultimate Hawaiian dining experience.Special Features:
- DON'T LEAVE MAUI WITHOUT ITMarinlinDined on 9/22/2014We go to Maui often, and we never leave the island without eating at Mama's at least once. The ambience is my favorite -- classic Hawaiian, situated on a beautiful little palm-studded beach with amazing gardens and tropical floral arrangements. But the food is also the best you will find anywhere on the Islands. I almost always have the crab cakes and ceviche when we go for lunch -- probably the "crabbiest" crab cakes in the world. My husband loves the trio of sashimi, and our vegetarian friend raved about their caprese salad with maui onions. Dinner entrees, mostly freshly caught island fish, include the name of the fishermen, and are always memorable. Some might say Mama's is overpriced; I say it is worth whatever it costs.Special Features:
- cfo3CFO3Dined on 9/22/2014While on Maui last week I had the great pleasure of having lunch and dinner at Mama's Fish House. I can assure your readers they will not be disappointed. Everything is terrific, ambiance, service, and food. For dinner I had the Mahimahi Stuffed with lobster and crab, baked in a macadamia nut crust. It was incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth the pricekatoVIPDined on 9/21/2014EVERYONE we talked to said "go to Mama's", so we did. it was beautiful and very good. The setting is remarkable and the décor inside fun to talk and learn about. the food was very good; of course, fish, prepared very well and interestingly. The Black Pearl dessert is not good enough to order, but beautiful and you will be able to see many of them as they are delivered to other tables. The passion fruit brulee was awesome, tho. With umbrella drinks for 2, we paid well over $400 for dinner, but feel it was a once in a lifetime experience that was worth it.Special Features:
- Another memorable meal at Mama'sFreshandchooseyDined on 9/21/2014This was our second visit to Mama's Fish House and this time it was lunch. A table with a view, outstanding and knowledgeable server and delicious, ultra fresh food. We can never make it to dessert as the main was such a generous and delicious entrée. They treat you so well at Mama's and spending some time afterwards enjoying the beach that is there is well worth the price tag.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner in ParadiseKimFLDined on 9/20/2014We ate at Mama's twice during our recent trip to Maui on our honeymoon - once for dinner and once for lunch. It was even better than I could have imagined. The fish was amazingly fresh and delicious, the sashimi trio especially the fish with lilikoi was simply divine. Mahi stuffed with lobster and crab was equally amazing and the creme brule was the best I've ever had. The Mama's Mai Tai was also the best - was the first I had during the trip and no others could compare. During our lunch visit I had a salad and crab cakes, both were delicious as expected! It's expensive but it is a very worthwhile experience.Special Features:
- DeliciousYogi205VIPDined on 9/20/2014Everything we had was outstanding! Our waiter made recommendations and was spot on. Have to try the crispy mahimahi rolls and the macadamia crusted stuffed mahi entree. Coffee at the end of the night was also wonderful and from Hana. Delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnificent Maui MemoryLuv2travelDined on 9/20/2014Shared my sister's &husbands 30th Anniversary here in Maui....MaMa Fishhouse made the night the most memorable night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must in mauiDjcdineDined on 9/20/2014One of the best meal, while mamas is not cheap the food is wonderful and the service is outstanding. Lobster mahi is a must. My wife Is not a fish person but loved the Hawaiian snapper with mushrooms. I eaten a lot of fresh fish but this fish is the best. If you like chocolate mouse , the lava mouse is a delicious treat to end your experience. Warning mamas is outdoors so if it humid or hot there is no air conditioningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in Maui!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We came here on our honeymoon and made reservations months ahead, as we were told it's hard to get in. The atmosphere is amazing! The ambiance is perfectly Polynesian without being kitschy. The service was outstanding and, most importantly, the food was incredible! It was the most romantic night of our honeymoon and we hope to return some day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wowie MauiNana6Dined on 9/20/2014Beautiful photo ops, expensive drinks $15+ and expensive foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Mama's Fish HouseLindaLeeDined on 9/20/2014Wonderful experience...beautiful, magical location. The waitresses were attentive and friendly. Very expensive, but worth every penny. We had the mahi mahi stuffed with lobster and crab, topped with a macadamia nut crust...every bite was better than the next. We look forward to our next visit to Maui and Mama's Fish House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014We had dinner here for our 33rd Wedding Anniversary, as we did on our Honeymoon. Everyone made the evening so special. Our table location was perfect.Special Features:
- amazingly beautiful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/19/2014what an amazingly beautiful location to celebrate any occasion and experience the aloha in the food, atmosphere, & service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.