2317 Chestnut St
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mamacitasf.com/
- Phone: 4153468494
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm. Bar open late.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Sam Josi & Luis Contreras
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Mamacita has the ability to cater special events of any size off-site. For more information please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Mamacita
At Mamacita we pride ourselves on creating a community atmosphere while serving culinary creations and libations utilizing the freshest of ingredients. At the core of our offering is a homage to original Mexican dishes made from scratch each day. House-made tamales, tortillas and sauces create a foundation for our ever seasonal menu. While unique and carefully crafted ceviches, enchiladas and tacos have become house staples. We also take our tequila and beverages very seriously as we search out hand crafted and boutique distilleries to round out our over 60 in house tequilas and mescals. Three times recognized as "Best Mexican" in the San Francisco Bay Area we pride ourselves on providing you a great experience and love what we do everyday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Mamacita reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (46)fit for foodies (45)hot spot (42)vibrant bar scene (39)good for groups (33)special occasion (15)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (7)romantic (7)great for outdoor dining (7)great for brunch (5)Show More
- MargaritaliciousDahoDined on 8/25/2014I little pricey for Mexican food, but high quality ingredients and delicious Margaritas. Very tasty indeed.Special Features:
- Certainly not a traditional mexicanWeimarnerVIPDined on 8/21/2014We were very excited about the vegetarian menu and general dishes that were listed as options. They all sounded exciting, however the dishes were all far from authentic. They were average California style mexican food that just missed the mark for being authentic. I am not sure what the reviews raved about it being traditional mexican. Our chiliquilla was simply soaked in tangy tomato sauce, tacos were just boring with not much flavor. Chips were fresh but guacamole was just smashed up avacado with a bit of lime and salt. And I was disappointed that they had no agua frescas! Definitely not a place I would visit again.
- DeliciousGolfandeat247Dined on 8/20/2014Great selection of Mexican food. First time here and I will definitely be back. Service was friendly and responsive. Everything we tried on the menu was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy placedonaldDined on 8/19/2014Ideal place for young people under 20 who dont mind shouting whilst eating. I was still chewing when the waiter grabbed the plates. Food is ok but not spectacular. In less than 30 Minutes it was all over.
- Busy PlaceLisaDined on 8/18/2014Even on a Monday night the place was bustling. Go here for flavorful food, not the ability to carry on a conversation. The Rancheras, braised brisket enchiladas with oaxacan mole, were outstanding. If you love chocolate the Budin de Chocolate (share) is a must, rich and cake-like pure decadence topped with necessary dulce de leches ice cream. Good chocolate dessert, not overly sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, horrible noise levelLemonDined on 8/16/2014Have been there several times and always loved the food which is fun, fresh, creative. The drinks (margaritas) are the smallest on the planet but good. Our server very nice, professional. We thought getting an early table 5:00pm would help with the noise level. It didn't. Perhaps that was due in part to the table of four next to us that was loud and a little sloppy. Twenty something's who still don't know how to conduct themselves properly in public. The restaurant should consult a noise consultant or designer to fix the noise problem. I don't think it's really healthy for the people who work there.Special Features:
- GreatmrvancouverDined on 8/15/2014The food was excellent (Mahi tacos, carnitas especiale, chips and guac), cocktails were excellent. Service was a little on the slow side, but it was Friday night and the place was slammed. Pretty lively joint, good people watching, and great neighbourhood for an after dinner stroll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchieDined on 8/14/2014Just too noisy. I was having a catch-up dinner with a friend and our throats hurt from shouting. But the drinks are great, as is the guacamole and fish tacos!Special Features:
- Great cocktails and fun atmosphereStlhomeboyDined on 8/11/2014Fish tacos and brisket enchiladas were very yummy. Fun atmosphere on a Monday night. Great selection of cocktails as well.
- outstanding.lagriega5Dined on 8/9/2014This was our first time there. WE were there for dinner. It was terrific. Our server, Julia, was fantastic. She's a real gem. Also met some great people sitting on either side of us. Will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Gift of HospitalityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014We arrived 30 minutes before our reservation and they were kind enough to seat us early on a Saturday night. The service was wonderful. We ordered several dishes to share and the server suggested that they be brought out one at a time so that we could enjoy each one. As a former server, there was always pressure to turn tables quickly. However, this restaurant was all about making us feel welcome and giving us time to savor the food. Casual dress (which was nice after a day of tourism). The food was delectable and I would certainly go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing food and way too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/8/2014Food wasn't nearly as good as Comal in Berkeley or Rhumba al Sur in Oakland. The noise level was deafening. Do not go here if you want to talk to the people at your table.
- Great food.CharaineDined on 8/7/2014Good service and excellent enchiladas and salsa would love to bring my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre foodTay4Dined on 7/26/2014Read previous reviews that service wasn't good but found it to be not only good but excellent. Disappointed by the food. It wasn't awful but neither was it fantastic. Had the beer battered tuna tacos. Unfortunately, the greasy batter overwhelmed the dish. Server was excellent and service fast!Special Features:
- Yum!braids202Dined on 7/25/2014The food at mamacita is rich but very good. Great cocktails, too
- Happy visitorsGigiwaDined on 7/24/2014Delicious upscale mexican options, fun vibe and decor. Also enjoyed the neighborhood stroll on a summer evening after.Special Features:
- Mr. CooperCoopsterDined on 7/24/2014Wow. This was an amazing place to eat and one of the best restaurant's we ate at on our trip. The staff was upbeat and very pleasant. The waitress was great and gave us 2 suggestions that we absolutely loved. Ill tell you this the guacamole was the hit, probably the best I've had. We actually went during Happy Hour which we were unaware of and got an extra 25% off on our bill and had some great drinks for 1/2 price.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catreens1Dined on 7/23/2014We were visiting San Fran and we booked a table here and arrived to be told our table was not ready yet and would we like to sit at the bar (half hour wait) and have a drink (thought they would give us a drink for the inconvenience but we had to pay for it). The food is good mexican but it is SO incredibly noisy here and having tv's running in the background with sport fanatics in the restaurant shouting out in support of their teams was offputting. For the price we paid, we would have preferred a better experience.Special Features:
- love isn't a strong enough word2PAvisitorsDined on 7/22/2014Heard about the restaurant through pintrest travel boards then again from a local we met. Went with a group of four, shared everything. Salsa and guacamole were the best I have had. Each dish was flavorful and filling. Amazing.experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Mexicandine4funDined on 7/17/2014Great atmosphere and food. Brilliant value happy hour which was packed out. Strong margaritas but tasty. Had the combination tacos - really nice. My only issue is they need a kids menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious time after time !DomsterVIPDined on 7/12/2014The food has always been great we have now found a margarita that is strong enough to make us happy! Too bad the restaurant is so dark and cavernous, on a nice day it's a little depressing to be back in the whole by the kitchen! But.... The food IS WORTH IT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid mexican food with a twistJoeEatFoodDined on 7/9/2014The food is amazing! You won't find a simple taco or burrito, but Mamacita's twist on Mexican food unleashed a lot flavor and was supremely satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mochacatDined on 7/8/2014Good food but definitely got a millennial Stepford Wives vibe as if the place screens so that all the women are thin 20-somethings with long straight blond hair. A few brunettes might have added some visual interest. Noise level was definitely high, normal conversation was difficult...not one of the choices available on your rating systemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - just adequate service.vikingsrulethewavesDined on 7/6/2014Walking in to Mamacita, we had to wait at least 5-10 minutes to be asked whether we wanted a drink, in a half-filled Sunday night restaurant. The guacamole was pretty good (could have been served with more lime and a little more vibrance in the flavours) and a variety of salsas were available on request. For $9, guacamole and chips at a Mexican restaurant had better have something memorable! The shredded beef enchiladas were outstanding, as were other salads and mains. The only downside to Mamacita was almost grudging service. Having come from out of town and looking for 'the best' Mexican food in San Fransisco, it was disappointing to have to wait and ask for everything. With more enthusiasm for service, this could be a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and great foodKearney1499Dined on 7/5/2014Being our last night in San Francisco, we wanted to try somewhere that had a fresh and contemporary spin on Mexican food and featured in the sfchronicle top 100. Mamacita's didn't disapoint. The food was beautiful and the service was exceptional - thank you Eric.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/5/2014Service was decent, not overly friendly but ok. But the food and drinks were great!Special Features:
- Fun AtomosphereHhoekDined on 7/4/2014The food is great- especially the tacos. The guacamole is delicious. The margarita's have a bit too much of lime in them. We loved coming here because we know the food will be good, the service friendly and the scene lively. It's a lot of fun to be here if you are in the mood to party and talk very loudly like everyone else. Overall, we keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatwellDined on 7/2/2014Great food! The staff was very friendly and attentive. Great place for kids too!Special Features:
- Happy hour tacos are where it's atYummyDined on 6/25/2014Get the tacos! The shredded beef, the pork, the chicken. Delicious and always reliable. Service is usally great.Special Features:
- Worth the TripLaVoceDellaRagioneDined on 6/23/2014I went with my two daughters and they loved it they even begged me to drive from Cupertino the next night to go again! One had the Pato a la Plancha (Duck Confit Tacos); I would go a little lighter on the sauce it was hard to get the flavor of the duck but better than most duck tacos I've tried. The Manchega Salad was seasoned nicely the Kale was softened enough to be edible. The Rojas Sencillas; a chicken enchilada with yellow mole a bit light for the rest of the flavors in the dish. Overall the menu is very well put together and our server was very pleasant. The bar was standing room only. The margarita I ordered was strong and not overly sweet I see the draw of the bar.Special Features:
- Mama in the citaDinahDined on 6/19/2014Mama was visiting from Boston, and she loves Mexican food, so I took her here. It was my second visit and just as enjoyable as the first. Mama liked it too. Great food, service, and location. You can't beat the happy hour prices on food and drink. Only complaint is that it is noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableFilbertFoodie1Dined on 6/6/2014Always great atmosphere and delicious food. The service was a little slow, but as expected it was a packed house on a Friday night. The did start clearing the plates before everyone was finished, but it was fine - not a big of a deal. The doors near the door to the kitchen can be awkward, but the food and positive attitudes of the waiters & waitresses make up for it. I really enjoy this restaurant every time that I go.Special Features:
- Delicious Mexican all aroundMansiDined on 6/5/2014We had the goat tacos, jicama salad, shrimp ceviche, braised meyer briskette enchiladas - all excellent! And the cocktails were great too - simple and well balanced.Special Features:
- Rushed meal, fresh take on MexicanaudreyDined on 6/2/2014Food was a very fresh take on Mexican, very tasty. Everything we had was extremely mild in seasoning, even the salsa, would have liked a little more kick but still enjoyed flavors. Very tasty tacos, good guacamole. Great disappointment in service, very impersonal, can't even bring waitstaff to mind, they just plopped the food down and disappeared. Served guacamole instantly, salad course just as we started guac, main course before we'd even started the salad, so we had all three courses on the table at the same time. They had us in and out in 50 minutes! Would probably not return, despite enjoying the food.Special Features:
- 5/20/2014SF94123VIPDined on 5/21/2014Great margaritas and guac. Try the little gem salad.Special Features:
- Greasy & ExpensivePickypenelopeDined on 5/18/2014There were three of us and we had 2 apps, 3 meals, side of rice and side of beans (they do not come with the meal), 2 beers and 2 double black labels for $175.00. None of us cared for the salsa, the empanadas were very greasy, the tacos were very greasy as well. The shrimp tacos were way too sweet. The chicken enchiladas were ok, but not great. The beans with chorizo were fantastic and the rice was good.
- YummersDinahDined on 5/15/2014I was pleasantly surprised to find great service, food, and value at Mamacita. If you order before 6:30pm, you receive a 25% discount off your bill on top of happy hour prices. Their margaritas are smooth and delicious. Out food was fresh and tasty. The portions were significant and we were too full for dessert. I will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hot spotdavistravelerDined on 5/11/2014Great food and lots of energy! Took friends who had never been there. They enjoyed the "interesting" menu items. Not your typical mexical food...think "duck" tacos. YUM!!!Special Features:
- Noise level unbearablebacktocomalDined on 5/9/2014Average overpriced mexican. If you want your head to explode and shout to have a conversation then this is the place for you. Comal in Berkeley worked with Meyer sound. See link. http://meyersound.com/news/2012/comal/
- Good food great tequilaSuzackDined on 5/5/2014Had the duck, mahi Mahi and carne asada tacos plus started with carnitas. The carnitas were cooked to perfection very tasty. Duck was elegant tasting however the Mahi tacos were fantastic. Deep fried but cooked to perfection. Great tequila selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 565 reviews are from the Mamacita reviews archive.