Mama Mia Trattoria
439 SW 2nd Ave (Downtown)
Portland, OR 97204Neighborhood:
Contemporary ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Mama Mia Trattoria
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://mamamiatrattoria.com/
- Phone: (503) 295-6464
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday (11:00 AM - 9:00 PM)
Friday (11:00 AM - 10:00 PM)
Saturday (9:00 AM - 10:00 PM)
Sunday (9:00 AM - 9:00 PM)
$1.95 - $4.95 Happy Hour
Monday - Saturday (4:00 PM - 7:00PM) Sundays (4:00 PM - 9:00 PM)
Saturdays and Sundays
Breakfast (9:00 AM - 2:30 PM)
Lunch (11:00 AM - 3:30 PM)
Dinner (3:30 PM - Close)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Vegetarian / Vegan, Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full Catering menus custom designed for each event. Large parties welcome from 10 to 60 people no additional charges.
- Private Party Facilities: Mama Mia can easily accommodate parties of up to 25 within most areas of our restaurant without requiring a limited menu. Tables are situated anywhere we can seat the number of people in your party at the time of your event and you will not be segregated from our other guests.
The family room is a semi-private nook off the main dining room which accommodate up 14 guests, this requires a food and beverage minimum of $250.00 with a 20% gratuity added to the final check.
The back half of our main dining can seat up to 46 guests, curtains can be drawn to create a private space. Limited menu required, please call for options.
Other options available for groups up to 120 guests, please call to inquire.
- Private Party Contact: Barry Brown 503-295-6464x
- Cross Street: SW Washington Street
- Public Transit: Conveniently located 2 blocks from MAX line - 1st & Oak stop and 5th & Oak stop
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Tons of street parking available along with 4 pay-to-park lots directly across the street from the restaurant. 1 block from Smart Park (3rd & Alder)
A word from Mama Mia Trattoria
When you step through the doors of Mama Mia Trattoria, you've taken a step back in time to a traditional Italian kitchen where our sauces and meatballs simmer all day and nearly everything is made from scratch, including our mozzarella cheese, fresh pastas, and our scrumptious desserts. We are committed to providing the highest quality food and service and spare absolutely no expense when using the best local products and sustainable resources available. Our old school Italian-American soul food, like that offered at many restaurants in “Little Italy’s” across the United States will exceed your expectations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mama Mia Trattoria reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (29)good for groups (28)special occasion (28)romantic (23)fit for foodies (23)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (9)notable wine list (9)hot spot (6)great for brunch (5)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Highly recommend this gem of a place for lunch!Happy2dineDined on 11/21/2014My coworkers and I dined here for lunch last week. The atmosphere was so charming with all the chandeliers sparkling in the mirrors. Our server was very knowledgeable about the wine list and her recommendation was spot on; she was very attentive and friendly too. We started with the Calamari, which was cooked perfectly. I’m not partial to soup but since it was cold and rainy I decided to give their minestrone a try and it was delicious. I had the Chicken Parm and it was awesome, the chicken was so tender it melted in my mouth and the sauce was yummy. My friend had the ravioli and just loved it; although she commented several times it was just too much to eat. My other other coworker had the Chopped Salad and couldn’t stop raving about it being the best she had ever had. The garlic bread was really good too. Our server gave us a card to sign up for their VIP club and I guess each time we dine with them we’ll get a free basket of garlic bread plus a lot of other perks too. We shared a bag of Zeppoles, which I’ve never had before. My friend has had them in Italy and she assured me these we as authentic as they get. I can’t wait to have them again when I go there for dinner, our server told us they’re on the dinner menu. I’m so glad I found this place as it’s just down the street from my office, yes, Happy Hour, here I come!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent work lunchsebell75Dined on 11/18/2014Chose Mamma Mia as a meeting place for a working lunch for our department. The seating was perfect, and the table was set for our reservation upon arrival. The staff were very friendly and accomodating, and the ambience was excellent. This is now on the fav list for future visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014I didn't say anything because I thought I was the only one but my whole table was really disappointed with the food. I have been 2 times before and loved the food. I love the the Linguine Canberra when I had it before. This time is was totally different. It was covered in green onions which took away from the creamy salty pancetta flavor that I had the previous times. There was hardly any sauce and it had no flavor except the green onion. There was hardly any pancetta and what I had was not rendered well. After dinner I found that no one was really satisfied with the food we all felt like it was meh. The service was good except the waitress offered us a choice of bread one that cost money and one that didn't and didn't tell us that the garlic bread would cost more. I like to know if I am receiving complementary bread versus an appetizer I have to pay for. The atmosphere was great as was the staff.Special Features:
- Must stop when visiting PortlandTacomatravellerDined on 11/13/2014We visit Portland once or twice a year. We always eat at Mama Mia's It is so good! Have gone with just the two of us or a group of 7. Great food reasonable prices. Great wine selection. Love the peach bellinis. AWESOME!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasionsGeejDined on 11/10/2014We visited Mama Mia's to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday - we had a lovely evening and a great meal. The staff were engaging and we felt like we were old friends by the time the meal was over. Food and service we're great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food/service but a bit crowdeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Food was very tasty. Nice size portions. The lasagna was enough for 2. Remember when you want butter for your bread....ask for a lot. You might only get enough to cover a few slices. House salad needs just a few more things however. Lettuce and walnuts do not make a whole salad. Service was awesome. Not very buggy, but there when we needed them. Over all...great time. My family loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably good food and serviceSherryPDXDined on 11/6/2014The folks at Mama Mia made us feel like VIPs from the moment we arrived until we left. Many servers and staff doting on us, making sure we were happy with our food and service. We had two children in our party, and the host even came over and made balloon animals for them! The food was excellent! We will return.Special Features:
- SweetsimkajessDined on 11/4/2014A nice dining experience - nothing mind blowing - but solid and decent for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good Italian restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Mama Mia's s a good traditional Italian restaurant. With a good wine list and a good dinner menu. We had a party of 8 and they accommodated us well and had no problem splitting the bill two ways and they did not tack on the gratuity as some do for larger groups. They had olive oil on the table and pepper mills - great for when they brought out plain and garlic bread. There were no cruets of balsamic vinegar on the tables - make sure you ask for that to have with the bread! Also, they only brought one basket of each bread, which was enough for at least one piece of each for everyone but they did not even ask if we would like more bread when the entrees were brought. If you like bread with dinner you have to ask.Special Features:
- Nothing fantastic but good.jtlatgfDined on 10/25/2014Food was good, service was fantastic and lots of tables making it a little crowded with chairs. Decor was excellent which would make it more romantic but with all the tables; there isn't much privacy to make it that special place.
- Amazing!nwfoodieDined on 10/18/2014We were in town for business and a group of us went here on the recommendation of co-workers. The staff was very friendly, top notch professional waitress, fast service and AMAZING food! The fresh mozzarella was perfect and the winning dish of the table was the Lobster Mac n Cheese. All of us had great food and a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I've worked in the hospitality industry for years and was extremely disappointed with the service. Our waitress seemed less than thrilled to have our table. If she didn't want the tip from a table of 11 she should have given it to another server. The menu had a nice selection of entrees but the presentation was lacking. Attention to detail is also important - we had a manager deliver our food who didn't know who ordered what. He delivered a gluten-free entree to a guest, took it back saying it wasn't gluten-free and then the waitress redelivered it because it was indeed gluten-free. Another guest in our party made it clear she was deathly allergic to all seafood and received an entree with scallops on it.
- Would never go backmeatballloverDined on 10/9/2014Advertised "Early Bird" Specials. Made to feel like a 2nd class patron. When I asked for the Early Bird Menu I was told I had to change tables to a different section of the restaurant. Never mind the place was less than 10% occupied. Caesar salad came in a very small bowl, not their regular size and was wilted. Probably left over from lunch. Meat ball sandwich bread was toasted so hard meat would squish out the end when you tried to bite into the sandwich. Finally, I had to give up and eat the meat ball with a knife and fork.
- Marathon Carb LoadjbonzoDined on 10/4/2014We were in town for the Portland Marathon. The restaurant staff and especially the serving staff didn't an amazing job serving our group of 25-people. The food was superb, the atmosphere was amazing and the service was perfect.Special Features:
- Won't be backYumyumVIPDined on 10/1/2014Very slow service. Pasta seemed like it had been reheated from the day before. Completely mediocre. May as well go to Old Spaghetti Factory. At least you get spumoni there :)
- Disappointinglucky114Dined on 9/13/2014We ate there on Saturday September 13 for our anniversary. The food was good and our server was competent and helpful, if not overly friendly. My daughter and son-in-law had called and arranged to pay for our drinks and dessert prior to our arriving and without our knowledge. We paid our bill in full as apparently there was a mix-up and our server did not get the message. After arriving home and discovering the mix-up our SIL called and spoke to the manager and was told he would credit the amount charged to them back to their debit card. Well three more phone calls and one week later that has still not happened. We were planning to take a large group there later this month for dinner, we will take our business elsewhere.Special Features:
- So-sohikeanddineDined on 9/8/2014I've dined at Mama Mia a number of times and have consistently come away with the feeling that I'd simply had dinner. On my most recent trip I tried the penne puttanesca (sans anchovies--thank you). No part of this dish gave the impression of being home made. The pasta had the exact taste and texture of the dried, boxed grocery store variety. The tomato sauce was ordinary at best. My guess is that it contained canned tomato paste. I could have done as well at home. My dining companion was taken aback when the waiter placed our take-home bags on the floor beside our table.Special Features:
- Family friendly, good foodeldlDined on 9/7/2014We had a wonderful family dinner at Mama Mias. The food was very good and the service was excellent. I recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite Italian restaurantShirleyDined on 8/29/2014My friends and I had a wonderful dinner at Mama Mia's. The food and service were excellent. I have also been here for happy hour. It is one of the best in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for GroupsjamalvancouverDined on 8/21/2014Dinner - August 21st. Overall, pretty good . . . very attentive young server. The food was good . . . the Caprese salad arrived with some great "home made" mozzarella . . . but was shy on tomatoes and the crema di basilico drizzle. The roasted tomato situation was remedied quickly by our server who brought us some more when we asked. We shared a pasta (a penne with tomato sauce and meatball/sausage/etc. add-on). Quite good. Overall a fairly positive experience. However, the "room" itself and overall ambience seems a bit "tired" and in need of some upgrading. I wouldn't rate it as high on the romance and dining experience scales . . . seems like a place catering more to the pasta-needs of larger groups . . .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good experienceQuigglesDined on 8/21/2014Staff were service oriented, excellent food choices. The gluten free pasta was exceptional, had to confirm that it was indeed GF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1stchoiceDined on 8/18/2014Have eaten there only once indoors. It was the evening meal. Food and service was excellent. Items marked in number 2 above were based on having just one evening meal at Mama Mia's so couldn't comment on each one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a rare findCarolDined on 8/16/2014We were visiting from Seattle and found this little place. The food is delicious and the staff could not have been better!! WE have made two more trips down and have visited each time . WE love it !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place to goclmkDined on 8/16/2014Service was good friendly but not hovering Great salad & cocktails Was a little noisy but Sat eve not too surprising Only complaint: the cioppino was a little too spicy The pasta & seafood was cooked perfectly , however! This was our 2nd meal & we will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decent ItalianmarcoDined on 8/14/2014Since the restaurant got good reviews and we like Italian we gave it a shot. The zucchini appetizer was great the service was great,but we were disappointed with the main course. I had spaghetti and meatballs and my wife had the Ravioli. Both were very heavy.
- Great casual Italian fareJKK1Dined on 8/14/2014Outstanding service. Table situated in quiet nook. Attentive waiter. Delicious lasagna. Nice wine. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best Bolognese in townoctopusblondeDined on 8/13/2014I've never been able to try anything else on the menu because it's so good and we don't go back often enough for me to get tired of it.Special Features:
- Hopping for a Monday eveningfreshfoodDined on 8/11/2014We love the Cioppino here. The staff were friendly and professional, and the food was up to our high standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Italian FoodabcdefghijklmnopDined on 8/3/2014I have been here twice and had the Pollo Scaloppine Piccata and Buttenut Squash Ravioli (on special) and was very impressed! Very flavorful, yet delicate and light. I also really enjoyed the Caprese Salad and Fried Zucchini.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!!!NathanDined on 8/2/2014The food was fantastic, the atmosphere was perfect, staff was friendly and knowledgeable. 9 out of 10Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 504 reviews are from the Mama Mia Trattoria reviews archive.
- Always Great food!Penny13Dined on 7/23/2014When I travel to Portland on business eating at Mama Mia's always on my agenda. Everyone I've taken there loves it as much as I do, but it's also great if I'm traveling my myself. Food is always wonderful, especially the desserts. You can't go wrong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as the first visitIlovefoodDined on 7/23/2014This was my second visit and I wasn't as wowed as the first time . The food was a little on the cold side however the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for vegetariansMWMBDined on 7/19/2014We came here looking for a date night spot and while I wouldn't say this was a "romantic" restaurant—it's pretty open and there were some kids around—the decor is fancy and overall everything was good. Our server (Chris, I think) was very attentive and the host was accommodating and friendly. There are *a lot* of veg options available too! I added scallops to a dish but they were rather overcooked so not worth it, but the portions were big enough they weren't needed!Special Features:
- unexpectedly fabulousyentafoodieDined on 7/19/2014My friends and I (adult women from a foodie city) were visiting Portland. We had been told by the manicurist at the nail salon around the corner that Mamma Mia was a fantastic restaurant and to cancel the reservations we had elsewhere. We did. When we walked in we were a bit concerned as the decor is "Spaghetti factory" like. We thought that we had made a big mistake. But the food was excellent, and the service was absolutely out of this world (thank you Melanie!!). We loved the fact that the owner came by a few times to check on us, and when they found out that two of the women at our table were celebrating birthdays, they surprised us by comping both desserts. Would definitely recommend this restaurant to anybody.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The FoodMiloVIPDined on 7/19/2014We have been here many times and the food is always excellent. This visit we had the caesar and house salads with the lasagna and pesto pasta. That is a really great lasagna!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly & fundiningoutisfunDined on 7/18/2014Love the old-style décor, friendly welcome and attentive service. Good selection on menu, delicious house salad (insulata) and well-prepared entrees. Not too noisy, so you can converse with dinner-mates!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Italian diningpdxoriginalVIPDined on 7/14/2014We were looking for a table downtown for a group of 5 on Saturday night. Found Mama Mia, were so pleased with our server, food and overall friendliness that we went back on the same trip. It's not over the top fancy, but a nice basic Italian restaurant with really good food. They will let you create your own dish and help you interpret the menu (if needed). I would definitely suggest, if your not interested in paying some of the higher priced Italian restaurants in Portland. You'll not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Good Italian Food.Judy3022Dined on 7/14/2014It was easy to get to with parking close by. The restaurant was nice and comfortable although the chairs could have had pads. The restaurant was NOT noisey and the service really was perfect. My husband really enjoyed the Sunday spaghetti with the roast pieces, sausage and meatball.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous for a great pricePickyFoodieNCDined on 7/13/2014Loved everything about this place. Insalada di Caprese was incredible with their house-made fresh mozzarella and their fresh pastas are great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Italian!luvtodineinpdxDined on 7/12/2014Several of my friends have raved about Mama Mia's so a couple of us decided to give it a try last Saturday night. The table shared a Margherita pizza and everyone loved it. I had the Fettuccine Alfredo and my date the Cioppino, both were cooked perfectly. Our server, Melissa (?) provided excellent service and was very knowledgeable about the wine list. Our desserts were yummy. I will definitely be back.Special Features: