Mama Mia Trattoria
439 SW 2nd Ave (Downtown)
Portland, OR 97204Neighborhood:
Contemporary ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Mama Mia Trattoria
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://mamamiatrattoria.com/
- Phone: 5032956464x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday (11:00 AM - 9:00 PM)
Friday (11:00 AM - 10:00 PM)
Saturday (9:00 AM - 10:00 PM)
Sunday (9:00 AM - 9:00 PM)
$1.95 - $4.95 Happy Hour
Monday - Saturday (4:00 PM - 7:00PM) Sundays (4:00 PM - 9:00 PM)
Saturdays and Sundays
Breakfast (9:00 AM - 2:30 PM)
Lunch (11:00 AM - 3:30 PM)
Dinner (3:30 PM - Close)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Vegetarian / Vegan, Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full Catering menus custom designed for each event. Large parties welcome from 10 to 60 people no additional charges.
- Private Party Facilities: Mama Mia can easily accommodate parties of up to 25 within most areas of our restaurant without requiring a limited menu. Tables are situated anywhere we can seat the number of people in your party at the time of your event and you will not be segregated from our other guests.
The family room is a semi-private nook off the main dining room which accommodate up 14 guests, this requires a food and beverage minimum of $250.00 with a 20% gratuity added to the final check.
The back half of our main dining can seat up to 46 guests, curtains can be drawn to create a private space. Limited menu required, please call for options.
Other options available for groups up to 120 guests, please call to inquire.
- Private Party Contact: Barry Brown 503-295-6464x
- Cross Street: SW Washington Street
- Public Transit: Conveniently located 2 blocks from MAX line - 1st & Oak stop and 5th & Oak stop
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Tons of street parking available along with 4 pay-to-park lots directly across the street from the restaurant. 1 block from Smart Park (3rd & Alder)
A word from Mama Mia Trattoria
When you step through the doors of Mama Mia Trattoria, you've taken a step back in time to a traditional Italian kitchen where our sauces and meatballs simmer all day and nearly everything is made from scratch, including our mozzarella cheese, fresh pastas, and our scrumptious desserts. We are committed to providing the highest quality food and service and spare absolutely no expense when using the best local products and sustainable resources available. Our old school Italian-American soul food, like that offered at many restaurants in “Little Italy’s” across the United States will exceed your expectations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Mama Mia Trattoria - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Mama Mia Trattoria reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (32)good for groups (31)neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (24)romantic (20)kid-friendly (14)great for lunch (11)notable wine list (8)hot spot (6)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Amazing!nwfoodieDined on 10/18/2014We were in town for business and a group of us went here on the recommendation of co-workers. The staff was very friendly, top notch professional waitress, fast service and AMAZING food! The fresh mozzarella was perfect and the winning dish of the table was the Lobster Mac n Cheese. All of us had great food and a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I've worked in the hospitality industry for years and was extremely disappointed with the service. Our waitress seemed less than thrilled to have our table. If she didn't want the tip from a table of 11 she should have given it to another server. The menu had a nice selection of entrees but the presentation was lacking. Attention to detail is also important - we had a manager deliver our food who didn't know who ordered what. He delivered a gluten-free entree to a guest, took it back saying it wasn't gluten-free and then the waitress redelivered it because it was indeed gluten-free. Another guest in our party made it clear she was deathly allergic to all seafood and received an entree with scallops on it.
- Would never go backmeatballloverDined on 10/9/2014Advertised "Early Bird" Specials. Made to feel like a 2nd class patron. When I asked for the Early Bird Menu I was told I had to change tables to a different section of the restaurant. Never mind the place was less than 10% occupied. Caesar salad came in a very small bowl, not their regular size and was wilted. Probably left over from lunch. Meat ball sandwich bread was toasted so hard meat would squish out the end when you tried to bite into the sandwich. Finally, I had to give up and eat the meat ball with a knife and fork.
- Marathon Carb LoadjbonzoDined on 10/4/2014We were in town for the Portland Marathon. The restaurant staff and especially the serving staff didn't an amazing job serving our group of 25-people. The food was superb, the atmosphere was amazing and the service was perfect.Special Features:
- Won't be backYumyumVIPDined on 10/1/2014Very slow service. Pasta seemed like it had been reheated from the day before. Completely mediocre. May as well go to Old Spaghetti Factory. At least you get spumoni there :)
- Disappointinglucky114Dined on 9/13/2014We ate there on Saturday September 13 for our anniversary. The food was good and our server was competent and helpful, if not overly friendly. My daughter and son-in-law had called and arranged to pay for our drinks and dessert prior to our arriving and without our knowledge. We paid our bill in full as apparently there was a mix-up and our server did not get the message. After arriving home and discovering the mix-up our SIL called and spoke to the manager and was told he would credit the amount charged to them back to their debit card. Well three more phone calls and one week later that has still not happened. We were planning to take a large group there later this month for dinner, we will take our business elsewhere.Special Features:
- So-sohikeanddineDined on 9/8/2014I've dined at Mama Mia a number of times and have consistently come away with the feeling that I'd simply had dinner. On my most recent trip I tried the penne puttanesca (sans anchovies--thank you). No part of this dish gave the impression of being home made. The pasta had the exact taste and texture of the dried, boxed grocery store variety. The tomato sauce was ordinary at best. My guess is that it contained canned tomato paste. I could have done as well at home. My dining companion was taken aback when the waiter placed our take-home bags on the floor beside our table.Special Features:
- Family friendly, good foodeldlDined on 9/7/2014We had a wonderful family dinner at Mama Mias. The food was very good and the service was excellent. I recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite Italian restaurantShirleyDined on 8/29/2014My friends and I had a wonderful dinner at Mama Mia's. The food and service were excellent. I have also been here for happy hour. It is one of the best in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for GroupsjamalvancouverDined on 8/21/2014Dinner - August 21st. Overall, pretty good . . . very attentive young server. The food was good . . . the Caprese salad arrived with some great "home made" mozzarella . . . but was shy on tomatoes and the crema di basilico drizzle. The roasted tomato situation was remedied quickly by our server who brought us some more when we asked. We shared a pasta (a penne with tomato sauce and meatball/sausage/etc. add-on). Quite good. Overall a fairly positive experience. However, the "room" itself and overall ambience seems a bit "tired" and in need of some upgrading. I wouldn't rate it as high on the romance and dining experience scales . . . seems like a place catering more to the pasta-needs of larger groups . . .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good experienceQuigglesDined on 8/21/2014Staff were service oriented, excellent food choices. The gluten free pasta was exceptional, had to confirm that it was indeed GF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1stchoiceDined on 8/18/2014Have eaten there only once indoors. It was the evening meal. Food and service was excellent. Items marked in number 2 above were based on having just one evening meal at Mama Mia's so couldn't comment on each one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a rare findCarolDined on 8/16/2014We were visiting from Seattle and found this little place. The food is delicious and the staff could not have been better!! WE have made two more trips down and have visited each time . WE love it !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place to goclmkDined on 8/16/2014Service was good friendly but not hovering Great salad & cocktails Was a little noisy but Sat eve not too surprising Only complaint: the cioppino was a little too spicy The pasta & seafood was cooked perfectly , however! This was our 2nd meal & we will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decent ItalianmarcoDined on 8/14/2014Since the restaurant got good reviews and we like Italian we gave it a shot. The zucchini appetizer was great the service was great,but we were disappointed with the main course. I had spaghetti and meatballs and my wife had the Ravioli. Both were very heavy.
- Great casual Italian fareJKK1Dined on 8/14/2014Outstanding service. Table situated in quiet nook. Attentive waiter. Delicious lasagna. Nice wine. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best Bolognese in townoctopusblondeDined on 8/13/2014I've never been able to try anything else on the menu because it's so good and we don't go back often enough for me to get tired of it.Special Features:
- Hopping for a Monday eveningfreshfoodDined on 8/11/2014We love the Cioppino here. The staff were friendly and professional, and the food was up to our high standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Italian FoodabcdefghijklmnopDined on 8/3/2014I have been here twice and had the Pollo Scaloppine Piccata and Buttenut Squash Ravioli (on special) and was very impressed! Very flavorful, yet delicate and light. I also really enjoyed the Caprese Salad and Fried Zucchini.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!!!NathanDined on 8/2/2014The food was fantastic, the atmosphere was perfect, staff was friendly and knowledgeable. 9 out of 10Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great food!Penny13Dined on 7/23/2014When I travel to Portland on business eating at Mama Mia's always on my agenda. Everyone I've taken there loves it as much as I do, but it's also great if I'm traveling my myself. Food is always wonderful, especially the desserts. You can't go wrong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as the first visitIlovefoodDined on 7/23/2014This was my second visit and I wasn't as wowed as the first time . The food was a little on the cold side however the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for vegetariansMWMBDined on 7/19/2014We came here looking for a date night spot and while I wouldn't say this was a "romantic" restaurant—it's pretty open and there were some kids around—the decor is fancy and overall everything was good. Our server (Chris, I think) was very attentive and the host was accommodating and friendly. There are *a lot* of veg options available too! I added scallops to a dish but they were rather overcooked so not worth it, but the portions were big enough they weren't needed!Special Features:
- unexpectedly fabulousyentafoodieDined on 7/19/2014My friends and I (adult women from a foodie city) were visiting Portland. We had been told by the manicurist at the nail salon around the corner that Mamma Mia was a fantastic restaurant and to cancel the reservations we had elsewhere. We did. When we walked in we were a bit concerned as the decor is "Spaghetti factory" like. We thought that we had made a big mistake. But the food was excellent, and the service was absolutely out of this world (thank you Melanie!!). We loved the fact that the owner came by a few times to check on us, and when they found out that two of the women at our table were celebrating birthdays, they surprised us by comping both desserts. Would definitely recommend this restaurant to anybody.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The FoodMiloVIPDined on 7/19/2014We have been here many times and the food is always excellent. This visit we had the caesar and house salads with the lasagna and pesto pasta. That is a really great lasagna!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly & fundiningoutisfunDined on 7/18/2014Love the old-style décor, friendly welcome and attentive service. Good selection on menu, delicious house salad (insulata) and well-prepared entrees. Not too noisy, so you can converse with dinner-mates!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Italian diningpdxoriginalVIPDined on 7/14/2014We were looking for a table downtown for a group of 5 on Saturday night. Found Mama Mia, were so pleased with our server, food and overall friendliness that we went back on the same trip. It's not over the top fancy, but a nice basic Italian restaurant with really good food. They will let you create your own dish and help you interpret the menu (if needed). I would definitely suggest, if your not interested in paying some of the higher priced Italian restaurants in Portland. You'll not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Good Italian Food.Judy3022Dined on 7/14/2014It was easy to get to with parking close by. The restaurant was nice and comfortable although the chairs could have had pads. The restaurant was NOT noisey and the service really was perfect. My husband really enjoyed the Sunday spaghetti with the roast pieces, sausage and meatball.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous for a great pricePickyFoodieNCDined on 7/13/2014Loved everything about this place. Insalada di Caprese was incredible with their house-made fresh mozzarella and their fresh pastas are great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Italian!luvtodineinpdxDined on 7/12/2014Several of my friends have raved about Mama Mia's so a couple of us decided to give it a try last Saturday night. The table shared a Margherita pizza and everyone loved it. I had the Fettuccine Alfredo and my date the Cioppino, both were cooked perfectly. Our server, Melissa (?) provided excellent service and was very knowledgeable about the wine list. Our desserts were yummy. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Yummy ItalianMauiGrlDined on 7/12/2014This place was really good. I had the chicken parmagiana and it was huge. You could easily share. The servers are great and the ambience is good. I liked the décor. It got pretty crowded pretty fast, I would definitely make reservations. Very good place for Italian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so food.YSTBDined on 7/12/2014The food was mediocre for the price charged. The service was good. The waitress was friendly.
- Love this place!johnsoncrueDined on 7/11/2014This is our second time to Mama Mia Trattoria. We had a large group of 11, the staff was awesome. Everyone loved the food & the Cheesecake is to die for!Special Features:
- Great Food!SopcDined on 7/11/2014I have been to Mama Mia many times and it always meet my expectationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a Great Time!BearMomDined on 7/11/2014Great Italian restaurant- because they offer meat-based, as well as vegatarion and vegan dishes, we were able to accomodate all members of our group, and this is not always easy. The food was great, large portions and very fresh. Best dessert, too! I highly recommend Mama Mia Trattoria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehDinearoundVIPDined on 7/8/2014Came here looking for simple Italian dinner. Vibe was rundown and Room had a slight odor. Food was mediocre. Service was adequate. Didn't expect much, but came away disappointed.Special Features:
- Off the mark tonightfeistychefDined on 7/7/2014The server was quiet, shy and awkward. He only shared the specials with one person at one end of the table so the rest of our party didn't know there were any specials at all. We were unable to make a special order request for our son. When the food arrived, a long time after we had ordered it, most food tasted alright, but the fetuccini alfredo sauce was broken and had no garlic flavor or seasoning. It was terrible. This was not the usual experience so it seems that the restaurant was having an off-night and they seemed to know it because they gave us extra's to make up for it and the manager kept coming by to apologize even though we had not complained. It will be awhile before we return.Special Features:
- The following 487 reviews are from the Mama Mia Trattoria reviews archive.
- Great reliable placeSeattlenativeDined on 6/29/2014Really nice, dependable restaurant with great food and friendly staff. Gluten free items, very good wine at reasonable prices. I went there first after trying to get into Mother's down the street, their line was just too long. I have grown to love Mama Mia's and now prefer it---better dinner menu, excellent lasagna, great cioppino, and really delicious breakfasts. I am a convert.Special Features:
- We loved it.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014The folks over at Mama Mia Trattoria have your back! I was on a date with a girl who had a severe gluten allergy, which makes finding places she can eat difficult After looking around for a few days, I found Mama Mia and made a reservation for us. I mentioned in the reservation the gluten allergy and when we arrived the wait staff was prepared and very accommodating. As an added bonus all the dietary restrictions are now written on the menu so there's no need to ask for a specialty menu, which was a treat for my date. The final verdict from us was five stars. We will eat here again. I encourage anyone vegan/vegetarian/gluten free or otherwise to give them a look. They will take care of you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great way to end our Portland staysarahqDined on 6/27/2014Mama Mia went out of their way to accommodate a 10 person party with only an hour's notice. I can't say enough about the wonderful service. The food was delicious -- I particularly enjoyed the pesto gnocchi -- the cocktails were interesting and well-crafted, and the pacing of the meal was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.