Mama Louisa's Italian Restaurant
2041 S. Craycroft Rd.
Tucson, AZ 85711Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Mama Louisa's Italian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mamalouisas.com/
- Phone: 5207904702
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Theresa Mowery
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from Mama Louisa's Italian Restaurant
Home cooking the Italian way since 1956. Homemade pastas and aged sauces offer a traditional Italian flavor. The menu offers a wide range of Italian favorites from eggplant parmigiana, manicotti, cannelloni, chicken, pork, veal, shrimp, pizzas and our signature pasta dish Joes' Special. The decor of the restaurant features hand-painted murals from the 1950's and 1970's along with the traditional checkered table clothes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mama Louisa's Italian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (12)good for groups (7)kid-friendly (4)special occasion (2)great for lunch (2)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- Going downhill?SaguaroLoverDined on 8/30/2014My family does enjoy dining at Mama Louisa's, but odd events have diminished our loyalty lately. On one occasion, the pile of soup bowls were dirty - someone accidentally brought out the used pile of bowls instead of the clean. Then we went on another occasion and the soups were cold because someone forgot to flip the switch to turn on the heat source for the soups. Not good. We do enjoy the food, but these rather serious mistakes and the cost of the the dishes have us keeping our distance.Special Features:
- Great Italian Food!!luvitalianfoodDined on 8/27/2014Love the Joe's Special! I had it with Chicken Parmesan this time!Special Features:
- Diamond in the RoughdjmrDined on 8/23/2014It's a quaint place. It's not elegant by any means but has a basic, homey feel to it. I don't know if they usually do much business but it was mostly empty when we arrived. Granted it was 4 pm on a Saturday afternoon. They offer a soup and salad bar that costs a little extra except with some specials. It was basic but everything was fresh. Having said all the above the food was excellent. The marinara sauce on my Fried Calamari with pasta was tasty and appealing. Same with my wife's meal. Portions were a good size. The prices on all the meals were more than reasonable. I would definitely go to Mama Louisa's again. And while the lunch special sign looked tacky, I would like to try the buffet it was advertising.Special Features:
- consistently deliciouspastajunkieDined on 8/21/2014We go to Mama Louisa's every year for my son-in-law's birthday dinner (his choice). We all get the salad bar option along with our dinners. My daughter and I are in awe of their in-house-made pasta, and we love their red sauces--especially Joe's Special Sauce which has a little more kick to it. Service is always attentive and efficient. This year we went on a Thursday night so it was quiet, but diners should definitely make reservations for weekend evenings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful...but.greatDined on 8/20/2014Lasagna was delicious, but it was more like a manicotti. Not very big either. Main dish was half the size of side linguini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish I had not come on SundayalwaysdineoutDined on 8/17/2014Their salad bar was great and their all-you-can minestrone soup was excellent. Their menu said they had six pastas on the bar for lunch seven days a week, but they don't on Sundays, so we had to eat off the menu. I had one of their lunch specials that included the soup and salad bar plus a luncheon portion of a chicken dish that included pasta with a bland marinara sauce. The sauce on the chicken had too much lemon added to it for my liking, but the chicken was very moist and tender. My husband had the meat ravioli with meat sauce and it was quite good, but breadsticks was his only accompaniment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ItalianAmyinTucsonVIPDined on 7/18/2014Love the fresh pasta and delicious red sauce. The veal piccata was fork tender and the meatball and Italian sausage were quite tasty.Special Features:
- Mama Louisa's---just so-soseekinggoodfoodDined on 6/14/2014Some food was great (breadsticks), some quite good (homemade pasta), and some not-so-good (Chicken Marsala and red sauce for pasta). The "sauce" of the Chic. Marsala was actually just brown gravy with some (undetectable) Marsala added. While it did not resemble authentic Marsala, it was fairly tasty. The red sauce for the pasta had no detectable herbs, thus tasting quite bland. The soup and salad bar is not included in the price, but can be purchased for an additional $3.50. When that is added to the entrée price, the cost rises to a level more appropriate for a finer restaurant. Service was very good and friendly. The noise level was horrible, due to a family with a young child who was screaming and the parents were egging him on.
- Gift certificate from FamilyretiredgreenvalleyDined on 5/28/2014The two of us enjoyed our dinner and dessert. Parking access was a plus. Waitress provided great service and we enjoyed our selection of foods. A very nice gift to the both of us.Special Features:
- The following 87 reviews are from the Mama Louisa's Italian Restaurant reviews archive.
- The food was JUST what we wanted!NutrnlMtblcDined on 5/4/2014Each had dishes that we felt could not be improved-upon anywhere!Special Features:
- A gemRolloAZDined on 12/7/2013Wonderful food and a great menu. Sevice was excellent and attentive to our requests. Would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PizzaPizzaEaterVIPDined on 12/4/2013I stopped in for a mid afternoon lunch. I had a pizza (pepperoni and mushroom) which was very good. The staff were super polite and the restaurant was very clean. I would return!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is great. The atmosphereRolloAZDined on 11/26/2013Food is great. The atmosphere is cozy and relaxed. Good place to host out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really liked this no-frillsTucdinerDined on 11/9/2013I really liked this no-frills down-home Italian restaurant. Super nice and attentive waitress and the food was quick and very good. Excellent homemade pasta in the manicotti and cannelloni. Salad bar had very fresh greens. Noise level was very high but settled down after a particularly large group left.Special Features:
- Ok but not greatskyequeen825VIPDined on 11/7/2013Went there based upon a recommendation. I had veal and it was not pounded thin as it should be. Side dish had their "red sauce" which was good. Regretted driving 30 minutes each way.Special Features:
- Tucson's Mama Louisa'suscomplyDined on 10/4/2013No complaints from our out of town guests or from my family. All was super!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome PlaceSusanDined on 9/15/2013This is my first visit, but my husband has been here before. I got the cheese ravioli with sauteed mushrooms. The mushrooms were slightly over cooked, but tasted great. The ravioli was good and fresh. The salad bar was great. My husband ordered the chicken parmesan. The chicken was very tender, to the point where you did not need a knife to cut it. The atmosphere was good.Special Features:
- Mixed opinions on the food,jeanDined on 9/8/2013Mixed opinions on the food, the eggplant parmesan was very, very good. However, the cheese manicotti was too bland. the waitress was very efficient and friendly. Love the atmosphere of the restaurant. Will try it again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okozzyDined on 9/6/2013If you going for the homemade pasta i say this is the place to go the chicken dishes and pizza were just alright. I could make the chicken dishes better at home. Tucson does not have a good Italian food that is Kid Friendly like they do in the North East.Special Features:
- A good red-sauce joint. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/6/2013A good red-sauce joint. Service can be a little slow and at times the kitchen is painfully so, but relax, have a glass of wine or take another trip through the salad bar, your food will be worth the wait. My family of 4 goes once a month or so and we have never been disappointed in the food (the meatballs and the eggplant are especially tasty).Special Features:
- One of our favoritespastajunkieDined on 8/21/2013Service is always exceptional here. The pasta is really excellent. We like Joe's special sauce with it. There is an extensive menu that should please almost anyone. This latest visit was on a week night when it was very quiet, and we could carry on a conversation iin normal voices.Special Features:
- Home Cooked Italian to be relied onTucsonpotsDined on 8/10/2013We went to Mama Louisa's because I wanted good home cooked Italian food. I decided on something simple and had pasta with mushrooms and Italian sausage. I LOVED IT!!! And throw in a great salad bar for $3.50 more and I had enough to bring home half my pasta for lunch on Sunday. Everything was so flavorful and just what I wanted. (the other guests were most happy too!)Special Features:
- And a good time was had by allLynnDined on 7/25/2013We had a large party of 12 for a going away party. Service was fast and friendly. Food was beyond excellent!!Special Features:
- Better than I remembered it...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2013When we lived in Tucson in the mid to late 90's we dined at Mama Louisa's many times, but had not been back since we moved back to Tucson three years ago. Our regular group of dining out friends were looking for an Italian restaurant to try, so I suggested Mama Louisa's, hoping it would be as good as I remembered it was. Turns out it was BETTER than I remembered! Everyone loved the food and had a great time. You can't go wrong with the Joe's Special!Special Features:
- Wonderful ServiceSeasonistaDined on 7/12/2013The service at Mama Louisa's was unbeatable. I barely finished the last lettuce leaf on my salad plate and the server was there asking to take my plate. We were shown our table as soon as all of our party had arrived, we were very well attended to with every glass filled all the time and any extra requests fulfilled quickly as well. It was a little noisy, but that was because the party next to us had children that were very loud once they left it was moderate. I really appreciate the terrific service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food ok serviceRogerDined on 7/12/2013Can't say enough good things about the food. It was fresh, tasty and plenty of it. The service was average. My main complaint was despite asking them twice to close out the open table reservation they did not.Special Features:
- This is a nice neighborhoodmaisiejudeDined on 7/5/2013This is a nice neighborhood family run restaurant. They make their own pasta and have some lovely murals from the 1950's which help expand the space.Special Features:
- Great food at a reasonable priceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/28/2013Great Italian food at a reasonable price. Makes for two meals; one there and one at home the next day. We winter in Tucson and were very glad to find Mama Louisa's. This was our second time there and we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Our server was outstanding,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/12/2013Our server was outstanding, and she was most attentive to needs of the group. Food is always fantastic. This is a must on our annual trip to Tucson. Reservations highly recommended one a weekend. We will probably change our annual trip to a weekday now that we know we can enjoy Mama Louisa's even more in a quieter dining experience.Special Features:
- Restaurant was a pleasantRaydioElginDined on 3/10/2013Restaurant was a pleasant surprise. A nice, friendly place. The salad bar was well stocked and fresh (this was one of the surprises, I haven't seen a salad bar in years). The canneloni was a treat. This is one of my "test dishes" since it seems to be hard to prepare correctly. Mama's was done just right. Service was very good and the price was reasonably. We are from outside Tucson but we will be back.Special Features:
- Great family atmosphere, foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2013Great family atmosphere, food hot and tasty, and prices reasonable.Special Features:
- I hate to give restaurantschrystinpVIPDined on 2/3/2013I hate to give restaurants bad reviews after just one visit, especially locally owned restaurants. The pizza was fine, not great, but fine. The restaurant does make their won pasta, but it was overcooked. I'll try it again to see if this was just a bad night, or the norm.Special Features:
- good food at fair prices.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/12/2013good food at fair prices. not a fancy date place or anything, but worth an occasional visit. the servings were large and my husband and i actually split a plate.Special Features:
- Mama Louisa's is our familyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/30/2012Mama Louisa's is our family tradition for birthday's and special occasions. We love Joe's SpecialSpecial Features:
- It has been around for 56OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/24/2012It has been around for 56 years--that says something!Special Features:
- I've eaten there on severalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012I've eaten there on several occasions and always have had spectacular service and absolutely the best pasta dishes I'd ever tasted. This past visit though, I ordered the linguine with white clam sauce and it was just bland and had entirely too little sauce for the amount of pasta. I was very disappointed as I am a HUGE proponent of Mama Louisa's. I will return, but only because I know they can do better.Special Features:
- The homemade pasta and sauceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012The homemade pasta and sauce was delicious. The ambiance was perfect for an old school red checkered table cloth type italian restaurant. We enjoyed our dinner immensely.
- The food is just like my ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/11/2012The food is just like my Italian grandmother made...delicious1Special Features:
- Great for the Whoel family!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2012The Joe's Special was outstanding, as usual. The casual ambience is inviting. Kids are comfortable there. Lots of options for both our carnivores and our vegetarians!
- My parents come into TucsonOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/7/2012My parents come into Tucson about twice a year and we always enjoy the food here. Keep up the great work and good food!Special Features: