Mama Kim Eats
1616 Del Paso Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95815Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Mama Kim Eats
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mamakimcooks.com/
- Phone: (916) 515-9971
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Th 5:30pm-9:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:30pm-9:30pm
Brunch: Su 10:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Creole / Cajun / Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kim Scott & Brad Morris
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Customized menus for any occasion. We cater for any size party, please call for more details and information.
- Private Party Facilities: On site event facility for with multiple facets for private events and weddings.
- Private Party Contact: Kim Scott 9165159971x
- Entertainment: Live music featuring classic music of the time. Live music on Friday and Saturday nights (6:30-9:00) then Sunday brunch (11:00-3:00).
- Special Events: We are constantly having special events at our restaurant such as wine dinners and beer dinners. Please follow us on Facebook, our website or send us your email address and ask to be added to our email list. We email our upcoming events once a month via Constant Contact.
A word from Mama Kim Eats
New Southern cuisine built around the diverse flavors of creole cooking using locally sourced ingredients. A casual environment where friends can kick back and enjoy great food and wine paired with soulful music.Continued
Although we are normaly open Thursday - Sunday, please call us if you are interested in booking an event for any day of the week. We are also available for private functions in conjunction with the Temp Gallery.
Although we are normaly open Thursday - Sunday, please call us if you are interested in booking an event for any day of the week. We are also available for private functions in conjunction with the Temp Gallery.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Mama Kim Eats - Best Restaurants in Sacramento ›
Mama Kim Eats reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (16)great for brunch (13)good for groups (13)neighborhood gem (13)special occasion (8)great for outdoor dining (4)notable wine list (3)romantic (3)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Music was unusually loud and I'm sort of a regularFoodiereviewDined on 11/16/2014Asked to tone it down and was ignored. Level best for a club but we couldn't hear each other talk at all. What's up with that attitude? Food was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014We went here for my husbands birthday, they have live music during dinner (Jazz, Motown, Blues, etc.). The food was amazing, American Southern style, Gumbo, Greens, Steak, Lamb, salmon tacos, great small dishes, we just want to try it all! The food isn't heavy, good portions we were too full for dessert but next time! There is a very nice seating area at the entrance and a small Art Gallery next to it as well. Great, fun experience, if you want fun, good food even a little dancing during dinner, this is the place to be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was terrificFoodiereviewDined on 11/6/2014Everyone in our group of eight raved about their dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Supper Club2HandzUp1913Dined on 10/31/2014I absolutely adored my dining experience at Mama Kim Eats. It was my first time there. I took a special person their to celebrate their birthday on the recommendation of my sorority sister. Consider me a well satisfied customer. Our waiter was attentive and very professional. Although the Gumbo I ordered was a tad too spicy for my taste, it was delicious nevertheless. Full of chicken, shrimp, and sausage mixed in with a delicious tasting file. I ordered a Sangria from the bar. I was quite pleased with how well balanced the sweetness I liked, matched how refreshing it tasted. The bonus was the band which played an amazing variety of old school hits that brought back alot of wonderful memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly disappointedlittlewingDined on 10/19/2014Returned for my favorite item on the brunch menu: chicken and waffles, with high expectations. But unfortunately the chicken was overcooked this time. I mean, as in almost burnt. Not acceptable. Also very disappointed that the band wasn't playing - website lists live music every weekend. Waited what seemed like an eternity for our food, which I'm okay with for fresh-prepared meals, but some in my party were getting impatient. The table next to us had some kids that appeared to be melting from hunger while waiting for their plates. Recommend getting an appetizer to keep folks from getting grumpy. Omelets are fantastic, as are the scones and, WOW, the coffee is amazing! Very attentive servers and creative menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, loooong waitfulkdjDined on 9/25/2014The food here is excellent. The chef just needs to learn a little time management. The dishes came out sporadically. I was finished with my meal before my husband even got his and I waited a good 30 minutes for mine. As I was finishing I noticed the chef putting my husband's chicken in the fryer. There were only maybe four tables occupied when we got there with two more coming in after us. The ones coming in after us got food before we did. I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of the restaurant business so maybe there was a logical explanation but I didn't see it. I WOULD recommend this place because the food is just that good but I don't think I'll be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly neighborhood restaurantLovetotrynewrestaurantsDined on 9/20/2014We had a great dinner and got to listen to a fabulous Jazz group. I had read reviews about the restaurant which included some warnings about the service. We found the service very attentive and communicative. When I wanted to order the fried chicken, the waiter warned me that there would be a 40 minute wait due to so many orders ahead of mine. I appreciated the warning and option to order something else. Since we weren't in a hurry, we decided to wait. It was worth the wait because we got to enjoy a glass of wine and listen to the very talented Jazz group that was playing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so food, good serviceAverageFamilyDined on 9/12/2014Not impressed. Cheese plate appetizer was good as were the lamb sliders. The ribs and the steak entree left a lot to be desired. Of the 4 of us, 2 had ribs and 2 had steak. None of us liked our food. Ribs were too spicy and steak was not cooked to order. Cannot recommend Mama Kim Eats. Sorry.Special Features:
- rubyDined on 8/24/2014Great place to eat & listen to fantastic music. Will definitely go back & already recommended to my many foodie friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014Mama Kim's is our favorite "show off Sacramento" place for out of town company, where we celebrate milestones, and where we share romantic and fun evenings. Kim pairs food and wine with artistic flair (and there is a great gallery next door as well) and provides southern hospitality, sophistication, and welcoming comfort. The vibe is amazing. Gallery quality art on the walls changes frequently (its for sale!), and Kim's partner, Phil, is such a great talent. Oldie hits like 'My Girl" and "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" just make me want to get up and dance (and we have!). You have to experience this place. Over and over! (Re noise level. Quiet when no music, very energetic and entertaining when Phil and his group are there.)Special Features:
- Love this place!iheartfoodDined on 8/17/2014I was first introduced to Mama Kim's through their mobile food truck. When I heard they had an actual dine-in restaurant I couldn't wait to check it out. The restaurant is tucked away in the art gallery section of Del Paso Blvd. So the outdoor seating is artsy and quaint. The indoor dining is spectacular for Sunday brunch. Co-owner Phil sings live on Sundays and he is AMAZING. His mo-town melodies pair perfectly with their mouth watering menu. Everything I've tasted from Mama Kim's has been absolutely delicious! The dishes are creative with beautiful presentations. Looking at the plates you 'd expect them to be much pricier than they are. Mama Kim's is a winner all the way around! I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st time for brunchShelleyDined on 8/10/2014The music is at Sunday Brunch is terribly loud. The singer is one of the owners, so given there are concrete floors & walls it is surprising they don't lower the volume given the number and frequency of complaints about the sound level (100 db). We went with another couple and could not possibly talk, but more than that it is damaging to your hearing/ciliary ear hair cells.
- Not in my 100 best brunch listARCHMDined on 8/3/2014I went to Mama Kim's after seeing that is was on a list of the 100 best brunch places in the United States. Although it was good it missed the mark of being in the top 100. The smoked pork lacked flavor and was a little dry. The greens and grits were wonderful and when I go again I will have them on the side and not order the pork. The service of just OK and could use some work if they truly want to be a fine dining place. The lemon curd tart in "selection of tarts" desert was very good while the other two were just OK. This is a good restaurant and I will return but it is not at the "top 100" level.Special Features:
- Small menu-big flavor!grampam916Dined on 7/31/2014Six of us dined to celebrate a special occasion. Everyone loved their entrees. We sampled the ribs, lamb dinner, lamb sliders, watermelon salad and for dessert the trio of tarts and trio of sorbets. All were excellent; if you are unsure what to order , the waiter helpfully pulls up a photo of the dish on his tablet so you can see what to expect. The only downside of the evening was the somewhat warm temp in the building---no A/C? Bottom line is we all said we would go back. Great dining experience.Special Features:
- The following 121 reviews are from the Mama Kim Eats reviews archive.
- Great price, Great product.luv2eatgoodfoodDined on 7/20/2014This was a special brunch. Good food, good ambience and definitely super music. We loved our experience and intend to return. For dinner next time. We have already shared our experience with friends. They will certainly make a reservation.Special Features:
- An excellent meal!PME1Dined on 7/17/2014My husband and I ate here on a Saturday and were so impressed that we went back with friends on Thursday. Both meals were among the best we've ever had, and we live in Midtown and dine out frequently. The food is prepared from fresh, local ingredients and the presentation is as beautiful as the food is delicious. Go see Mama Kim and staff. A great dining experience awaits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- whyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/17/2014why? as in why was there nobody at this first rate establishment on a Thursday evening. literally, only two tables. as in, why, given the lack of customers was our service so darn poor. waiter had no clue how to be a waiter in a fine dining establishment. put down the ipad till you have the basics of your job down pat. time delivery of food. appetizers finished before entrees served. describe food without pictures nor whining. refill waters promptly. don't solicit dessert when diners not even 1/2 way through their main courses. this my 4th visit. other visits much better. service very disappointing. food very good though halibut was a bit overcooked.
- A homerun with our guestsRobnDawnDined on 6/28/2014We chose MaMa Kim's as the place to take a group of our very special out-of-town friends to dinner and it proved to be a perfect choice. Service and food were great, as usual. Everyone ordered a different meal and each was very pleased with what they received. The live music was very entertaining and it didn't interfere with conversation at the table but enhanced it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful anniversary dinnermidtownerVIPDined on 6/27/2014Great food, wonderful entertainment. Would return again. Only negative was the temperature inside was a bit warm. Air conditioning needs to be upgraded.Special Features:
- did not disappoint!lifeisgoodDined on 6/20/2014This was our second time dining at Mama Kim's. The food has been amazing both times. The menu was different this time-notable mentions was the mac'n'cheese with kale and mushrooms and the jalepeno cornbread.Special Features:
- Father's DayJerusalemDined on 6/15/2014The food was real good but the fried chicken and waffle looked to be the big winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KimFoodiereviewDined on 6/12/2014Bar service very slow not enough staff with gallery opening next door. 20 minutes to get change when paid bill. Owners back to diners the whole evening sends a cold message. Food was great as was wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2014We've been here twice and it has quickly become one of our favorites. Great food and service and Sunday Jazz brunch is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KAI55Dined on 6/7/2014The food was great, as was the service. We enjoyed the music; however at times it was so loud that talking was difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best, friendliest place ever!DatenightDined on 5/30/2014We had the most amazing dinner for our date night. The staff was professional, accommodating, friendly, and fast. The mood was set, with live music, and the owners were available to speak with us. We could not have asked for better food, wine, service, or evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't say enough about this jointmagstorichesDined on 5/25/2014This place is nothing short of amazing. My only complaint is that the music is quite loud, echoing off the tall, stone/cement/brick walls, making it difficult to hear each other talking at the table. BUT (and this is a HUGE BUT), the quality of the music is outstanding, and the lead singer is a very gracious host (and joint owner, I believe). If you're happy to groove while you enjoy some unbelievably delicious food, this is the place to be, hands down! Thank you so much for making my dear friend's graduation brunch so special and fun. We'll be back time and time again, bringing friends and spreading the news!Special Features:
- It's About the FoodLocalpatron1Dined on 5/11/2014A smoked pork chop over grits with two easy over fried eggs and grilled apricots: are you kidding me. The pork chop was tender and moist and smokey. The combination of flavors had me feeling utter and compete satisfaction and then sad when I took my last bite. The atmosphere is friendly. You get the feeling that the staff are giddy in anticipation of the pleasure of the patrons as they take their first bite of comfort and satisfaction. Mama Kim Eats has catered for my firm but that was my first visit to the restaurant. I was greeted by Annie, the one who has handled our catering with a smile and a hug, The food gave me a hug as well!! My family and I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- love the regular brunch mean moreJazzyCDined on 5/11/2014The special Sunday Brunch menu for Mother's Day was just so-so - the pastries were great as well as the dessert items, but the entrees were not as good as the regular brunch menu. Missed having the chicken and waffles, their signature dish. The potatoes were cold/room temp.Special Features:
- Too Bad About the BandNanaDined on 5/11/2014We love the food at Mama Kim Eats and it usually rates a 5 star. This was Mother's Day so I understand with that volume of business things won't be quite as good. What was difficult for us was the service (forgot our appetizers all together and sent them home with us in a box!) Worse yet is the volume of the music. I think the guy sounds great but the volume is up so loud you cannot have any kind of conversation. It was Mother's Day, a day when families get together and want to catch up. We literally had to yell for the server to hear us. Maybe they don't understand the acoustics in that cavernous room? Keep the music but please turn down the volume!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food! Wrong ambiance.redcar13Dined on 5/11/2014I took my mother to Mama Kim's for the Mother's Day Brunch. The menu was very limited, which was disappointing after seeing the wonderful regular menu posted on the website. The food was nicely presented and the fried dishes were perfect. I had the cali bass which was the best deep-fried fish cake I've ever tasted! Fresh and creative. Portions were modest, but left room for delicious desert bites. The live music was good but WAY too loud for Mother's Day. And the tables are very big. Between the table size and loud music conversation was not possible. A good meal, but not a good visit with Mom. We were not given the option to sit outside; we would have found it more comfortable. We plan to return for the great food!Special Features:
- Not what I expected, Disappointedrobhbev1Dined on 5/11/2014I took the wife and kids there for Mother's Day. No where on their website did I see that they were having a fixed price menu for Mother's Day. The choices were very limited. I did not like my dish, the meat was to red for me, they didn't ask how I wanted the meat prepared. Appetizer consisted of a small basket of fruit, dessert was also very small. My daughter ordered French Toast I believe, which came in a bowl, never heard of that before. Seemed like the food was already pre-made and microwaved before serving. Overall, wife, son, daughter and I were extremely disappointed. Definitely wasn't worth the price.
- OutstandingDevekaDined on 5/11/2014Myself and sisters who came from out of town were totally impressed with the mothers day brunch! we posted on Facebook location and how we totally recommend this place for all to experience service was remarkable.. Our waitress gave of the history behind Mama Kim Eats she was wonderful jazz band added a touch of Class for the overall event I will be planning Fathers Day there for sure!!!!Special Features:
- Mother's Day TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014My mom and I went for mother's day brunch. I appreciated the live band. Overall the food was excellent. My poached eggs were superb. I would recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- Great venue and mealdelishhhhDined on 5/11/2014Took my mom for dinner before Mother's Day. It was a very lovely venue but also modern and would be good just for drinks and hanging out with friends. Also a nice romantic date spot! They have fantastic sangrias and beignets. There were alterations made to my meal that they didn't tell me about until after I was eating my meal and noticed. Found out it was because they ran of one of the side dishes, would have been nice if they could have told me so I could have chosen the side dish I preferred. That's the only reason why I gave the Service 4 instead of 5 stars. And they over seasoned the lobster tail, which is why I gave Food 4 instead of 5 stars. Beyond that, it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable BrunchFoodies2Dined on 5/11/2014This was our second time we dined at Mama Kim's for Mother's Day Brunch, and we were once again blown away by the outstanding food and wonderful experience. The food, music, and every last detail was great. We will definitely be back before next year. I want to experience dinner at this gem.Special Features:
- Well Fedjazz8610Dined on 4/27/2014My friend, Paulette raved about the food and we decided to have Sunday Brunch. To my surprise the selection of two tender smoked pork chops were placed on a bed of grits. The grits could have had a touch more cheese. They were served with a side of collard greens and two beautiful sunny side eggs. I also enjoyed a glass full of the sweetest fruit. I was almost envious of my friend's choice of chicken and waffles. I really enjoyed the food and plan to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014Went here for brunch on Easter and good was great. Popular spot now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service, live musicSactoArtistDined on 4/18/2014We loved everything about this place and will definitely come back and bring our friends. We ordered the Artisan Cheese Plate & two small plate items to share. The cheese plate had an unusual combination of freshly prepared seasonal accompaniments like balsamic fig jam & marinated white nectarine. I chose the Fried Eggplant, which was plentiful and delicious. My husband ordered the Louisiana Lamb Sliders, little gourmet burgers packed with so much flavor, we were completely satisfied with one each. The sangria was the best we've ever had. There was a live band with a great vocalist adding to the ambience. The waiter was really on top of things without making us feel rushed. We can't think of how anything could be better.Special Features:
- New Favorite PlaceurwhitDined on 4/17/2014I love Mama Kim's. The food is great and the service is excellent!Special Features:
- Great cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/22/2014Great Southern cooking. Best fried chicken in town. Always tasty and reasonably priced. Mama Kim's is an undiscovered treasure of great food, excellent service and nice entertainment on the weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.