1967 Calvert St NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
Middle EasternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mamaayeshas.com/
- Phone: 202-232-5431
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Executive Chef: Samir Abu-El-Hawa
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Mohammed Abu-El-Hawa 202-232-5431
- Entertainment: Background Arabic music played during lunch and dinner.
A word from Mama Ayesha's
Founded by Ayesha Abraham, Mama Ayesha's opened for business in 1960. We are a family owned and operated restaurant serving authentic Arabic cuisine. Enjoy a fresh fattoush salad, some hummus, or some falafel to open you appetite. Main dishes include lamb, chicken, and beef dishes cooked over our charcoal grill. Or try one of our stuffed specialties such as our stuffed yellow squash or grape leaves. Plenty of vegetarian as well as vegan options also available. With dishes prepared daily from scratch you can be sure you're getting the closest thing to home cooking. We are glad to be moving forward into our 5th decade of serving the Washington, DC area. Many of our guests can tell you that when you’re here at Mama Ayesha’s, you’re family!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mama Ayesha's reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)romantic (26)good for groups (20)fit for foodies (18)special occasion (16)great for lunch (7)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Delicious!MuseDined on 9/8/2014A great value with delicious food from the Middle East!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and service!pkasaDined on 9/4/2014I came here for a date and I must say that I have had one of the best dates ever. The food and wine was great and the server was extremely sweet and knowledgeable. I would definitely come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive staff, delicious foodBigpoodleDined on 8/30/2014We used to be regulars here when we lived in the area and it was the Calvert Cafe. About the only things that haven't changed are the location and the quality of the Middle Eastern fare. Mama Ayesha's is an upscale version of its former self, which was kind of a dive but one of the great bargains in DC dining. It is no longer a bargain but still a good value for the quality of the dining experience and the exceptionally well-prepared food, which in our opinion is better than some of its higher-profile competitors. Still miss the carafes of cheap retsina, though.Special Features:
- An evening at Mama'sPoppaZmurfDined on 8/26/2014This is a wonderful restaurant with great Lebanese food. Nice selection, highly recommend the squash stuffed with lamb. The wine list is very good. There was a mix-up on our appetizer order but the manager made it right with no problem. The only marks off from perfect was that our waiter was a bit pushy, but not in an obnoxious way. I will definitely be back to this gem!Special Features:
- Washington's Top Mideastern PlacethfieldsDined on 8/23/2014Mama Ayesha's is one of the iconic, classic restaurants in DC. It's been here for decades, and has a well-earned reputation as THE place for Middle Eastern food. My date (who has lived in the city much longer than I) had not been there in a long time. She said it was as good as ever.Special Features:
- Impressed an EgyptianFoodieReviewsDined on 8/15/2014Food and ambiance were authentic and impressive for the two of us, both of whom are very well versed in Middle Eastern cuisine. We especially loved the Malfoof Mahshi (tasted like his mom's) and the Mouzat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seems AuthenticFrugalButNotStingyDined on 8/15/2014We tourists from Kentucky had a fun meal for 4 at a great price. Each of us ordered something different. The best hit was Musakan, described as "Half chicken baked with sautéed onions, pine nuts, almonds and sumac served over toasted pita bread " - 16.00. The chicken was tender and the broth was perfectly absorbed into the pita bread. Sautéed onions were to-die-for. Rice, which accompanied all the other entrees, was spiced and cooked just right. All the servers were mature men who smiled very little, but the service was quick and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mama AyeshaSithusgirlDined on 8/15/2014This is the only Lebanese restaurant with food that tastes the way my mom made it. There has never been a meal that has let me down. Comments should include that the online menu is bigger than the actual menu. If you are craving something you see online, call and see if they will be serving it when you visit the restaurant. Also, parking is non existent. My husband dropped me off and ended up parking far away. Luckily it is a safe neighborhood for walking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSeanDDined on 8/15/2014I have been a customer of Mama's from when she was alive & rolling grape leaves in the rear booth. Now, a general disappointment. Syrian bread could have been from Safeway, served room temperature with NOTHING - no butter, no olive oil with or without herbs. Servings were small considering cost. Service - like it was a new restaurant. Observed several incidents including me where food taken to wrong table - there are not that many tables. I ordered a side of Tahini with the Cauliflower appetizer plate. The small serving of CF came with no tahini, and they were almost cold by the time it was brought after reminding the server. 5-6 flower of CF for 6.50 or so. On the plus side the food was tasty. Overpriced with marginal but pleasant service.
- Still great after 50 yearsDbrown8302Dined on 7/26/2014We had eaten here in the 70s and returning recently, it is still excellent. The room and overall space have been updated but service and food are still outstanding. Worth the visit to Calvert street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly staffOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/26/2014Server had good recommendations and friendly approach.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014It was a pleasure to visit this restaurant. Thanks for your hospitality and good food. The food was delicious and authentic. Something for every palate. Very friendly to us vegetarians!Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/24/2014Loved the choices on the menu, everything looked great! I ordered the eggplant, ground beef, lasagna type dish, started with an M. It was perfect! The eggplant gave it great texture and the beef was cooked to perfection. The rice with it made it a perfect meal. The ambiance was superfun. This place is right around the corner from my house and I loved being able to stop in for a great meal and time!Special Features:
- Impressed foodie friend!PaddcDined on 7/22/2014I took an out of town friend here for dinner who always enjoys ethnic food when she travels. We ate early, so it was quiet and we could catch up. Excellent food recommendation from the waiter (lamb shank). Love the decor of the restaurant also. There were a couple of large groups there also, so I'd consider Mama Ayesha's for a celebration as well as dinner for two. We both really enjoyed our visit to Mama's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodbmillzDined on 7/11/2014The meal was excellent and the service was v.ery good. Hassan was our waiter and he was very friendly, funny and professional. Overall, a great place to go on a dateSpecial Features:
- Great for Iftar DinnerKPinDCDined on 7/2/2014Had a small group of 3 expand to 8 and the staff was very accommodating. Since it was Ramadan and they knew we were fasting, they were very gracious and provided dates for everyone. The other benefit of Mama Ayesha is that it has a large vegetarian menu and is also Halal. Great for large groups with dietary restrictions.Special Features:
- As good as it has always beennancychanVIPDined on 7/2/2014I went on one if my first dates here over 40 years ago. Still wonderful. The smokiest baba ganouj ever. And other authentic dishes from the Middle East. Music is lovely and not too loud. We were there at 3PM and it was SOO quiet and we still had a wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable ethnic dining !MarthaCritiqueVIPDined on 6/28/2014Fantastic shish-kebab!! Enjoyed the environment, feeling like I was back in the sixties. Very friendly service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adams Morgan GemBarbCDined on 6/26/2014Mama Ayesha's has a great meditrainian menu with so many offerings, including vegetarian. We especially loved the stuffed squash. Serve was great, very attentive.Special Features:
- Delicious classic!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/22/2014Great ambiance and fantastic food do not disappoint. Delicious options for vegetarians (the lentils and rice are fabulous), as well as carnivores who like lamb or chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DC classicFormerFedVIPDined on 6/22/2014My girlfriend and I figure we've eaten -- together, solo, or with others -- at Mama Ayesha's (or Calvert Cafe, as it used to be called) at least a hundred times over the past four decades. We've never been been disappointed. On our latest visit, the humous with lamb and sucumber salad starters were delicious as always. I tried the stuffed combination entree (lamb and rice in grape leaves, cabbage, and egg plant) for the first time and it immediately became one of my favorites. She got the dry couscous with lamb shoulder and liked it very much. We didn't have room for dessert. Service was very attentive and friendly. The pen that came with the bill was amusingly labeled "This pen stolen from Mama Ayesha's" -- making a great souvenir.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Treats and Great Eats!mfwb3515Dined on 6/20/2014We went for a Birthday celebration and had some of the best classic Middle eastern fare at Mama Ayesha's. The Tomato Salad with Feta was a perfect combination with the Kibbie and foole salad. The Lamb shanks were all that they should be. It was like Mama was watching over us from Heaven and making sure we had appropriate comfort food. Delicious. We tried a couple mixed drinks too. The Wild Tea Martini was terrific with a taste of St. Germaine ( sweet Elderberry Flower Liquour). Another star appetizer and perhaps one of the best bites was the grilled Lamb Sausage served over Mashed Potatoes... Truly a fine Fare Offering. We will go again.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/19/2014I have been to Mama Ayesha's a couple of times before and love the service, environment and food! Each visit has been better and better!Special Features:
- Long time favoriteFussypalateDined on 6/7/2014I have been owing to mama's since the mid 1960s, when mama used to sit in her booth with her telephone always nearby. My wife and I had our first date there in the 70's. What's not to like? It's a great restaurant with excellent food and service at reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Good lebanese foodneneitalyDined on 5/25/2014Best baba ghanouj ever tasted. Good falafel, good lamb. The waiter (one of the two who served us) was a bit rude, looking away while we were asking questions or ordering food. Ambience is fine and food is the authentic middle-eastern. If you're looking for consistency in taste and original reciepes I would recommend this placeSpecial Features:
- The following 343 reviews are from the Mama Ayesha's reviews archive.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014Love this place. We go when in dc. Staff are very good with our kids and the service is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably Great Food & ServiceWilhoffDined on 4/30/2014Mama Ayesha's has been a go-to restaurant for good Middle Eastern food and terrific service for many years. The waiters have been able to explain the meals well, make good suggestions, and have been sometimes been willing to change a menu item to fit our needs or number. What can we say but try it -- you'll like it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/29/2014I went to the restaurant for the first time on my birthday. I would definitely return. The service was great the ambiance was beautiful and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Favorite Lebanese in DCAndy123VIPDined on 4/20/2014Always good food and friendly service, and very reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Easter at Mama'sTheOriginalPearmanDined on 4/20/2014We love to find Mid-East cuisine in the cities we visit. Found the food here to be very good ;stuffed dishes especially worthwhile; baba was very good not great;taboule good lamb and okra entrée really good. Ambience real nice ; good looking in the old school style room ;bathrooms very nice. Waiter a tad grouchy but he had just dealt with a big party and ended up apologizing somewhat. Dessert excellent , arak super as usual Definitely recommend this restaurant for those who want traditional Lebanese style cuisine.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014We arrived a little early and were seated promptly. Service was excellent, friendly and very attentive. Food is ethnic, great taste and variety. Even the kids enjoyed it. We try and visit whenever in DC. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- food portionsYazanJordanDined on 4/19/2014Im gonna start with the dinning and the atmosphere, they were phenomenal. The shocking part was the very small food portions. As I totally understand that the location maybe requires the prices to be a bit higher, but when I pay $16 Im expecting an entree, to get two pieces of (kousa mahshi) in a small plate is embarrassing. First of all I felt huge embarrassment infront of my guest that I brought with me after I bragged so much about the middleeastern food. Second, believe me when I tell you that I left the restaurant "hungry" and had to stop at another place to get a falafel sandwich. I was skeptical to pay another $16-$20 at your restaurant to get another "two-bite" entree. With all honesty, exuse me to say, that that was shameful.Special Features:
- Bad serviceJphhDined on 4/18/2014The restaurant, food, and ambiance were great. I'm not sure if our waiter was having the worst night of his life, but we received the worst service I've ever had in a restaurant. I honestly did not want to leave a tip at all, but gave in. From the moment we sat down, our waiter said as little as possible to get our order and get us out the door. He didn't greet us, never smiled, and looked irritated that we were there. He barely answered any questions, and took one of our plates away while we were still eating! He just shoved the check on the table and left. I will never return to this restaurant.
- Perfect neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/16/2014Incredibly delicious appetizers and entrees! The service was fast, very friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic SpotKKerrDined on 4/12/2014I have eaten at Mama Ayesha's three times, and I have loved every single bite of food. The labneh appetizer is "other worldly" in its level of deliciousness. The chicken, lamb and beef kebabs are better than any I have had elsewhere in DC, and the side vegetables (and tumeric-spiced rice) complement the main dishes perfectly. I love this spot.Special Features:
- Great food, no parkingLloydDined on 4/10/2014This is a lovely restaurant to walk or take a cab too, but be forewarned if you want to drive and park! We spent over 20 minutes hunting for a parking spot, and finally found one a half mile away, down a pretty steep hill. The restaurant was quite understanding about why we were late for our reservation, and the food and service almost made up for it. Would come again- via cab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simply greatmmqc4ac2Dined on 3/28/2014Great service, great food, enjoyed the portion size (general US portions I find too large), nice ambiance & reasonable price. I had the mix grill, the two others at my table had the lamb & okra stew & the lamb chop. Tried everything, all tasted clean and high quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Levantine (Syrian/Lebanese)RG77VIPDined on 3/28/2014Good Levantine (Syrian/Lebanese) food for DC standards, but like most other Lebanese restaurants in this city, it doesn't hold a match to what Los Angeles has to offer. Nice ambiance and good food compared to other Lebanese restaurants in the city.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and excellent foodSarahaDined on 3/21/2014We went to mama ayesha's for my husband's birthday and brought another family along with us at the last minute. The restaurant quickly accommodated our larger party - We had a total of 9 people, with 5 kids 5 and under. The restaurant was loud and lively enough to drown out the kids live voices, so we didn't feel guilty for ruining anyone's dinner. The food was outstanding, as always, and the service could not have been better. Very attentive and pleasant wait staff. They do not specifically cater to kids but our kids love the food and like the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Total disappointmentRestaurantcriticDined on 3/16/2014We had high expectations of this restaurant since my niece recommended to us. But everything was a disappointment from service to food. We went there on sunday for lunch. The server was not very enthusiastic about serving us. The two good items on the menu that we liked were finished. I don't know what that means. When customer order something from the menu you are supposed to make it for them. The other food we had seemed like the leftovers from the previous night. They were not fresh. Your entrees are not money's worth since all you serve is one meat item and one carb. There was no salad or bread or anything. I still don't understand who are these people who gave you good reviews.Special Features: